Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral out - keep going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have a cracking run tomorrow and don't forget to show respect to your training by running the last mile barefoot!! The hard work is done. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

DCM 2019 Race report

Said I would write this report while I can actually remember some of the race.

Had a good week preparations leading up to the weekend, was sleeping loads and resting as much as I could. My diet is fairly carb heavy anyway so didn't need to change much except eat a bit more. Slept well on the Saturday and woke at about 5.45am. Ate some toast and jam got myself ready. Strolled over to the start line with the OH, about a 15 min walk. Forgot to bring a pre-race banana, wasn't too concerned as I felt fairly full.

Getting through security to drop our bags off was a bit of a struggle with a huge crowd all trying to squeeze through a few gates. Dropped bags off and made our way to Wave 1. OH then suggested going through the barrier of Wave 2 and use the portacabins there and sure enough, no queues at all. Wished the OH well as she went off in the Wave 1 crowds. I hung back and tried to keep warm. Hanging around the start area for the 20 minutes waiting for wave 2 to arrive was a bit surreal but was worth it. Managed to get myself up the front next to the 3.30 pacers. Off we went

Miles 1-3
    Position myself on the right of the street to take advantage of the first turn. Glanced at my watch and noticed that it didn't start when we took off. Started it again but was a bit miffed about it. Luckily I noticed it when I did. Took it nice and easy for these 3 miles, upped the pace naturally for the downhill parts. Pacers were already surging ahead by Stoneybatter but I wasn't too concerned.
    8.14,.7.59, 8.24

Miles 4-7
    Heading into Phoenix park and the gradient seemed to be very favourable for mile 4 but remembered to take it extra easy on Chesterfield Ave. That part seemed to go on forever but the support around there was great. I, like everyone else, made the mistake of running through the cobble stones on the Phoenix Monument roundabout - I was lucky not to twist my ankle on them. Exiting Phoenix park and heading into Castleknock, the noise from the crowds there was immense. Had a smile on my face from either the support or knowing a few downhill miles were coming up
    7.51, 8.11, 8.05, 8.12

Miles 8-10
    Was loving this part but was trying not to go too fast down the hills. I could the pacer balloons in the distance so I knew that these miles would see me reel them in further. The calmness of these miles allowed me to take a moment and do a systems check. I felt ok but was definitely feeling the miles, was a bit worried

Miles 11-13
    After leaving Chapelizod, I knew that St Laurence's Hill was upcoming. I never ran it before but was warned that it was steep, which it was. Lowered the pace for it but it did take it out of me. Was thinking I could try to recover after it but then the drag on the Sarsfield road was quite draining too. Can't remember much about the rest of these miles, was trying to settle back into a good rhythm. Was thinking that I shouldn't be feeling it this much at halfway. I remember trying to shelter from the sun as much as possible on these streets

Miles 14-15
    Again I knew these miles had a lot of drags on it so I needed to watch my pace going through this part. I was not feeling comfortable here and was questioning if I would ever be able to get back to the pacers at all. They seemed so far away in the distance on the long straight roads. This led me to lose concentration a bit, forgot to take a gel for over a mile because of it. When I reached Walkinstown roundabout, I knew there was a few favourable miles ahead that I needed to make progress on

Miles 16-18
    The only thing I remember about the mile 16 and 17 were the roads were straight and never ending. At least it gave me the opportunity to see how far the pacers were ahead of me. It seemed that no matter how hard I pushed, they didn't seem to be getting closer! Upon turning on Templeogue road, I recognised this stretch from driving through there the day before. It was here that I see that the pacers were within reach and I made the decision to push on, catch them on this road and try to recover for a few miles with them. By the end of road, I managed to reach the pacers and was very happy to be there. The way I was feeling, I was happy to stick with them for the rest of the race and take the 3.29.59

Miles 19-22
    Was a happier camper now that I was in the safety of the group. Was smiling through the crowds in Rathgar and relaxed into a nice stride. Was really starting to see a lot of walkers on the course, probably more noticeable with the roads being a bit narrower. Headed into Milltown and my mind starting focussing on heartbreak hill. I obviously heard the horror stories about it but also read it wasn't too bad as well. It took forever to reach it but when we did it was grand to get up over it. Worst part was trying not to run into walkers on the ascent.

Miles 23-finish
    Not sure what happened to me going down Fosters Ave, whether it was me taking that breather with the pace group or the last caffeine gel had started to kick in, but I felt good. Mentally it was only 4 miles left and I had to empty a now refuelled tank. I left the pacer group behind and began to up the pace. Was passing out so many people it made me feel even stronger. The challenge here was trying to weave in and out of people in front. On the turn into Merrion road, I was in the zone and upped the pace again. The road seemed to go on for bloody ages though. To be honest, I barely even recognised the crowds on the home straight - was so focused on keeping the pace up. Finally saw the finishing line up ahead and it was then I started to smile and take in what I had done. Kept the pace up enough over the finishing line to ensure some other runner didn't ruin my finishing photo :D:D
    7.38,7.26,7.15,7.00 & 6.20 last sprint

Chip time - 3.26.32

Was so happy with the result and the way it planned out. There was a point mid race where I felt things may have been going wrong but gotta trust the boards strategy I suppose. The way I finished was similar to the Charleville HM, full of energy. From the TDL event services website it states that I passed nearly 400 runners in the last 2.2k :eek:

Was great to meet up with loads of the novices and not so novices crew in McGrattans afterwards. I don't think I've allowed the result to fully sink in yet, might take a few days/weeks for that to happen. Already, I'm thinking ahead for 2020 and what races to target. Looks like I'll be back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely brilliant race & time! I'm thrilled for you :)

Was so lovely to meet you & Fiona in McGrattons afterwards, you are both so lovely but she is amazing- all her tips for Scott worked a treat so please thank her for me :)

Can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, that's a very well executed race. Congrats!

• Advertisement

It's great to see the flesh out on the bones of how you told me the race went. All the training and planning ahead paid rich dividends. It was brilliant to meet you and the wonderfully bubbly F afterwards. The only downside....you finished with footwear on! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant race and report T. You showed tremendous discipline all through training and delighted you showed that same strength in the race itself allowing you to finish so strong.
    Amazing time for your first attempt, you are only going to get stronger and ya won't be dropping from wave 1 to 2 next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Great race report, and such a strong finish- very impressive. And one hell of a marathon debut!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's great to see the flesh out on the bones of how you told me the race went. All the training and planning ahead paid rich dividends. It was brilliant to meet you and the wonderfully bubbly F afterwards. The only downside....you finished with footwear on! Haha.

Thanks S, I'm not sure what is more controversial - running barefoot or running with Vaporflys........

Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks S, I'm not sure what is more controversial - running barefoot or running with Vaporflys........

Pmsl at this...only way he'll beat F is with his pink Vaporflys :D

• Advertisement

Pmsl at this...only way he'll beat F is with his pink Vaporflys :D

Ah T will get her some time soon...vapourflys or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Only got to read this report now. Slowly making my way through them all. Fantastic first marathon and great meeting you two in McGrattans. Hopefully see you down here at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A brilliant debut- well done T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

A brilliant run- well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Fantastic debut. You battled the mental demons and won. Fair play on backing yourself after the tough spell to push on once you felt better. Very well done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great race T. That training plan worked a treat for you - it strikes me that it gave you strength in the legs, but also in the mind.

As I said in McGrattan's, your progress for a relatively new runner is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

DCM 2019 Race report

Said I would write this report while I can actually remember some of the race.

Miles 19-22
    Was a happier camper now that I was in the safety of the group. Was smiling through the crowds in Rathgar and relaxed into a nice stride. Was really starting to see a lot of walkers on the course, probably more noticeable with the roads being a bit narrower. Headed into Milltown and my mind starting focussing on heartbreak hill. I obviously heard the horror stories about it but also read it wasn't too bad as well. It took forever to reach it but when we did it was grand to get up over it. Worst part was trying not to run into walkers on the ascent.

Miles 23-finish
    Not sure what happened to me going down Fosters Ave, whether it was me taking that breather with the pace group or the last caffeine gel had started to kick in, but I felt good. Mentally it was only 4 miles left and I had to empty a now refuelled tank. I left the pacer group behind and began to up the pace. Was passing out so many people it made me feel even stronger. The challenge here was trying to weave in and out of people in front. On the turn into Merrion road, I was in the zone and upped the pace again. The road seemed to go on for bloody ages though. To be honest, I barely even recognised the crowds on the home straight - was so focused on keeping the pace up. Finally saw the finishing line up ahead and it was then I started to smile and take in what I had done. Kept the pace up enough over the finishing line to ensure some other runner didn't ruin my finishing photo :D:D
    7.38,7.26,7.15,7.00 & 6.20 last sprint

Chip time - 3.26.32

Was so happy with the result and the way it planned out. There was a point mid race where I felt things may have been going wrong but gotta trust the boards strategy I suppose. The way I finished was similar to the Charleville HM, full of energy. From the TDL event services website it states that I passed nearly 400 runners in the last 2.2k :eek:

Was great to meet up with loads of the novices and not so novices crew in McGrattans afterwards. I don't think I've allowed the result to fully sink in yet, might take a few days/weeks for that to happen. Already, I'm thinking ahead for 2020 and what races to target. Looks like I'll be back again next year.

That's some debut marathon. How good did that feel, passing so many at the end? You'll take a chunk off that next time.

That's some debut marathon. How good did that feel, passing so many at the end? You'll take a chunk off that next time.

Thanks WW, it did make me feel even better passing out so many at the end. Guess there was more time in me alright but for the first marathon I'd rather the finish I had than struggling/suffering at the end

Maybe next one I'll go off too fast, explode around mile 20 and shuffle my way home :D

Just trying to decide on my next block of training and which plan to follow. I was going to carry on with P&D's faster road running but the OH has provided me with a quite interesting plan that she followed last year. Lots of varied running in it. She did get injured doing it but I think I'll go with it!

Next race to target is Dungarvan 10 mile in Feb(Providing I get an entry) , will start the plan sometime late November after a few weeks of easy running

Just trying to decide on my next block of training and which plan to follow. I was going to carry on with P&D's faster road running but the OH has provided me with a quite interesting plan that she followed last year. Lots of varied running in it. She did get injured doing it but I think I'll go with it!

Next race to target is Dungarvan 10 mile in Feb(Providing I get an entry) , will start the plan sometime late November after a few weeks of easy running

I hear the John Treacy sold out in a couple of hours.....and not a lottery in sight!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I hear the John Treacy sold out in a couple of hours.....and not a lottery in sight!

Yep, we both got our entries in at 6.30am this morning! Sold out by 10.30am

Yep, we both got our entries in at 6.30am this morning! Sold out by 10.30am

Ah great...nice to have a target!

So I took a full week off after DCM to let the body recover and then I had to go to the US for the week with work. I did plan to do some running over but wasn't concerned if I didn't. Turns out I didn't get much free time over there and only managed a 3 mile treadmill (never again).

Monday 12th - 5m easy @ 8.54
    Had my first real run today since DCM and really enjoyed it. It was faster than a normal easy run but my legs wanted to go today so just ran at a decent enough pace.

Will do 3 more easy runs this week, hoping to hit 20-25 miles for the week. Then next week I will start to incorporate some parts of the new plan before going into it properly the following week.

In other news (look away skyblue), thanks to Swashbuckler's thread I managed to pick up a pair of NEXT% on the nike store for 22% off. Was planning to get a pair anyway. Only drawback is they are pink, I now know I'm willing to endure any mortification for a race if it saves me any bit of money :D

So I took a full week off after DCM to let the body recover and then I had to go to the US for the week with work. I did plan to do some running over but wasn't concerned if I didn't. Turns out I didn't get much free time over there and only managed a 3 mile treadmill (never again).

Monday 12th - 5m easy @ 8.54
    Had my first real run today since DCM and really enjoyed it. It was faster than a normal easy run but my legs wanted to go today so just ran at a decent enough pace.

Will do 3 more easy runs this week, hoping to hit 20-25 miles for the week. Then next week I will start to incorporate some parts of the new plan before going into it properly the following week.

In other news (look away skyblue), thanks to Swashbuckler's thread I managed to pick up a pair of NEXT% on the nike store for 22% off. Was planning to get a pair anyway. Only drawback is they are pink, I now know I'm willing to endure any mortification for a race if it saves me any bit of money :D

Ah you got the pink ones ;)

Hopefully i see you at a race in the near future if only to watch you zoom by:eek: Look forward to hearing the reviews on them :D

Good choice with the pink, should help you speed by people just to avoid the mortification!! No stopping ya now T!

In other news (look away skyblue), thanks to Swashbuckler's thread I managed to pick up a pair of NEXT% on the nike store for 22% off. Was planning to get a pair anyway. Only drawback is they are pink, I now know I'm willing to sell my soul to the devil if it saves me a few seconds :D

Fixed that for you. :D;)

Mixed week for me last week, after the first proper run back on Tuesday, I did the following:

Wednesday 13th - 7m easy progress run @8.24avg
    Planned to do 7m easy but was feeling great going around the mahon loop. So I upped the pace as I went around, still feeling like I was running at a comfortable pace. Last two miles were sub 8min/miles. It was lashing from start to finish but I loved it. Barely anyone was outside and I felt I had the whole place to myself.

Friday 15th - 5m easy @8.57
    Again felt great for this run, running on grass/mud in my XC shoes is a nice change to the norm and again I had the place to myself. I do think Winter running is a favourite of mine.

I did plan on running a 10m on Sunday but decided not to run it. For some weird reason on Friday evening, I developed a pain in my right foot - felt like an impact bruising pain but didn't have any impact that I can remember. On Saturday it was still at me so decided to rest for a day or 2. Knew that it wasn't a serious injury but no point risking it

Monday 18th - 5m GA @8.28
    Woke up today with no foot pain so did 5m on grass. Paces may have been a bit fast on this one but wanted a bit more effort after missing the weekends run.

Going to try to follow my plan fully this week and see how it goes. Plenty of interesting running on the way, which is exciting.

What plan you going with T? Is the 10 mile in February your next race?

It's a plan from a local club that I'm interested be joining. Has plenty of varied and tough running in it, along with easy runs, but I'm excited just looking at it. Just trying to decide on paces to go at. It should bring me up to the Cork half in June and then I'll decide whether to keep with it for DCM or revert to the same P&D plan.

Next target race is the John Treacy 10 in February but will probably do the Togher 5k end of December. I do plan on doing more races this year than last but will keep to those 2 till the spring. What are your plans racing wise J? I can only imagine what sort of times you would put in on the shorter stuff!

• Advertisement

Very good, you have a nice plan there for 2020.

I'm going to start FRR half plan in early January for a couple of local half's in March and April, I want to get under 90 mins for it.
    Will probably bridge the gap up to dcm training starting again by doing a 5k plan, never actually raced one! That's my initial plan for next year at the moment but subject to change!

Looking forward to following your progress over next 12 months!

Advertisement