Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Big mistake by JGP there with that kick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zebre are smashing Leinster any time we try keep the ball.

TMO replaying the wrong tackle there no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ross Byrne fails to find touch from a pen. Gets lucky as Zebre slice a kick into touch. Then Byrne throws crooked into the lineout.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    Ross Byrne fails to find touch from a pen. Gets lucky as Zebre slice a kick into touch. Then Byrne throws crooked into the lineout.

I thought the crooked throw was a harsh enough call tbh

• Advertisement

At some point Zebre just need to try for the drop goal. Ball's going absolutely nowhere otherwise, and they turned down a fairly kickable penalty around the 60 minute mark.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

At some point Zebre just need to try for the drop goal. Ball's going absolutely nowhere otherwise, and they turned down a fairly kickable penalty around the 60 minute mark.

It must be relatively windy there too. That’s the only reason I can think for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Deegan subbed off after 50. On Doris's first touch he breaks the line and gets 10 metres in.

Reckon Doris is going to be the better player

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well that was a grind of a game.

Good win all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Christ, that's 80 mins of my life I'm never getting back. Grim.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Take the win and move on. Every team has one of them.

EDIT: Zebre played well. Just goes to show the impact Conor O’Shea has had on rugby in Italy to see them and Benneton being competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did it really finish 0-3? I missed the whole thing

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Did it really finish 0-3? I missed the whole thing

Yep. Miserable weather conditions, rain was hammering down and there seemed to be a strong wind, pitch was fairly churned up too as a result. Real slog of a game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I missed it too and I had to double take when I saw the final score. I don't think I've seen that scoreline before.

I imagine there's some poor video editor at Premier Sports now wondering what to put in the highlights. I might watch it just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yep. Miserable weather conditions, rain was hammering down and there seemed to be a strong wind, pitch was fairly churned up too as a result. Real slog of a game.

I have BBC sport with auto updates which flashes up on screen

I kept checking if it was broken because nothing coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Just saw the score line and did a double take, are we back in the 1920’s?

That was a proper bog fight. Pitch was a bit of a mess, the ball wet and rain fizzing down.

Scott Penny was our top tackler with 19 completed. Top tackler on the pitch actually. Fardy and Josh Murphy were in double digits too. Shows how close in the game.wa splayed and how much possession Zebre had. Been really impressed with Penny. Has a great workrate and doesn't seem to have a problem with the physicality of pro rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Who got MOTM?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

degsie wrote: »
    Who got MOTM?

Marco Manfredi. Zebre hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

KaneToad wrote: »
    Watching the Zebre game. Plenty of gratuitous camera shots of Italian beauties in the crowd. This must have been what the 1970's were like!

Italy is still a sensible country on that front. Under pressure a little though, but fighting hard to hold a reasonable line. Some years ago there were some people objecting to topless women on the beach of a small village and the matter went to court. Judged ruled that topless women should be allowed on the beach as long as they were young and attractive. An Italian solution to an Italian problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Didn't see any of this as I was at a pulsating game in the Sportsground, but I presume everyone has agreed the game should never be mentioned again, and move on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I dont know about letting it fade through memories.... is it the lowest winning score in a rugby match?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Didn't see any of this as I was at a pulsating game in the Sportsground, but I presume everyone has agreed the game should never be mentioned again, and move on?

Zebre were impressively physical and hard working in defence. They set out to disrupt Leinster's flow and did so effectively.

They showed very little in attack though.

I've seen higher scoring games that were worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That was a proper bog fight. Pitch was a bit of a mess, the ball wet and rain fizzing down.

Scott Penny was our top tackler with 19 completed. Top tackler on the pitch actually. Fardy and Josh Murphy were in double digits too. Shows how close in the game.wa splayed and how much possession Zebre had. Been really impressed with Penny. Has a great workrate and doesn't seem to have a problem with the physicality of pro rugby.

Overall it balanced out but we had 80% possession in the first half and only scored 3 points. Zebre were very dogged in defense but there was some very poor decision making going on by Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I dont know about letting it fade through memories.... is it the lowest winning score in a rugby match?

Well it's the lowest possible score bar 0-0 so yes.

Don't think there's too much to be worried about, take the win and get on with the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

With the internationals likely to be drip fed back in over the next couple of weeks, who do we reckon has put their hand up for selection while the big guns were away?

Personally I think Keenan and Doris have been very good. I always thought Doris would kick on this season after spending last year adjusting to the physicality post u20s, however I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by Keenan. Looks a far classier player than I remember from that 2016 u20 team (may have been because that team was stacked with quality so he didn’t stand out as much).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Keenan?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Keenan?

Sorry yes - autocorrect had other ideas!

Original post now edited.

Yeah, Keenan has been very impressive this season. Love the way he glides when he runs. Keeps the ball in both hands and sells the dummy so well. He's another of that U20 group that made the world championship finals a few years ago. But I'd discounted him as he hadn't made a mark at Leinster in comparison with Ryan, Porter or Deegan. Glad to see him take his opportunity now though.

What impressed me most about Doris in the U20 championships was his ability to spot gaps in the opposition defence. He's a big man and a strong carrier, but he isn't all about power. He's a very intelligent carrier with a high workrate around the pitch. We've seen that quite a bit since his Leinster debut too. He's spotted a lack of numbers at the opposition ruck, picked the ball up and ran straight through as there was no pillar.

• Advertisement

The Doris/Deegan battle is going to be one to watch over the next few years, much in the vein of Heaslip vs Conan in the years leading up to Jamie's retirement where Jack was putting in some outstanding performances.

I'd be interested to see Doris play at 6 and Deegan at 8 before the internationals return, usually it's been Deegan at 6, which will probably stand to him in the long run in terms of versatility from the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement