Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Doris/Deegan battle is going to be one to watch over the next few years, much in the vein of Heaslip vs Conan in the years leading up to Jamie's retirement where Jack was putting in some outstanding performances.

I'd be interested to see Doris play at 6 and Deegan at 8 before the internationals return, usually it's been Deegan at 6, which will probably stand to him in the long run in terms of versatility from the bench.

I can see it being suggested to one of them that they should.move province for more game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    I can see it being suggested to one of them that they should.move province for more game time.

I don’t see why, if anything has told us over the last few years the second row is a hard place to play and injury/retire rate is high

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

That was a proper bog fight. Pitch was a bit of a mess, the ball wet and rain fizzing down.

Scott Penny was our top tackler with 19 completed. Top tackler on the pitch actually. Fardy and Josh Murphy were in double digits too. Shows how close in the game.wa splayed and how much possession Zebre had. Been really impressed with Penny. Has a great workrate and doesn't seem to have a problem with the physicality of pro rugby.
    Ross Byrne had 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭durthacht

wise7 wrote: »
    Ross Byrne had 13.

I thought Zebre targetted Byrne in defence and I was impressed he stood up so well. I thought he wasn't great with ball in hand, although conditions were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cronin and McFadden struggling for fitness for Europe apparently. Get Kelleher in there, few handy enough home games in particular to ease him in. McFadden, plenty of cover anyway, doubt he'd be starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cronin and McFadden struggling for fitness for Europe apparently. Get Kelleher in there, few handy enough home games in particular to ease him in. McFadden, plenty of cover anyway, doubt he'd be starting.

I was about to post all the wingers I thought were probably ahead of Kelleher than I remembered....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

The Doris/Deegan battle is going to be one to watch over the next few years, much in the vein of Heaslip vs Conan in the years leading up to Jamie's retirement where Jack was putting in some outstanding performances.

I'd be interested to see Doris play at 6 and Deegan at 8 before the internationals return, usually it's been Deegan at 6, which will probably stand to him in the long run in terms of versatility from the bench.

Ideally it wont be a 'battle' and we will utilise both of them when needed, mix and match their game time to get the best out of both of them....or have them in the same line up..

Neither should leave the province

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I'd have Kelleher in their ahead of Tracy..

Saracens bullied and overpowered us upfront last year, are squad is largely the same, not sure where that extra powers going to come from as a lot of are younger guys are maybe a season or two off being effective at European level,

Hopefully Doris has an outstanding season while Conan is out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd say it'll be Byrne starting with Kelleher on the bench, but I wouldn't be against getting Kelleher as much game time as we can. Hooker's probably the only 'weak' position we have at the moment (and frankly for quite a long while bar Seanie) so to have a prospect like him is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Saracens bullied and overpowered us upfront last year, are squad is largely the same, not sure where that extra powers going to come from as a lot of are younger guys are maybe a season or two off being effective at European level,

And yet we were one or two VERY poor decisions away from possibly winning that match. McGrath's kick before half time was a massive momentum shift.

Point is, I don't think we need to radically alter the way we play. Saracens are probably a little bit ahead of us at the moment, but we are not far off and can certainly beat them if we have a good day.

• Advertisement

I'd have Kelleher in their ahead of Tracy..

Hopefully Doris has an outstanding season while Conan is out

Saracens bullied us after they got in front....before that I don't think they overpowered us.....maybe I need to rewatch but a few mistakes and they got in front and we just couldn't get back into the game

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

And yet we were one or two VERY poor decisions away from possibly winning that match. McGrath's kick before half time was a massive momentum shift.

Point is, I don't think we need to radically alter the way we play. Saracens are probably a little bit ahead of us at the moment, but we are not far off and can certainly beat them if we have a good day.

Sarries were looking rattled when it went 10 nil, then Henshaw? threw a high loppy pass to Conan setting him up for a turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We could've had 2 or 3 more scores on the day. Ringrose's **** up was especially egregious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

And Tadgh got stripped in their 22.

Sarries were undoubtedly better on the day but I believe if we played Sarries 10 times over a season we'd win 4 or 5 times.

Finals do rest on these game changing moments. And Sarries had everything go for them. It was just their day. No shame in losing

We could've had 2 or 3 more scores on the day. Ringrose's **** up was especially egregious.

All players make mistakes.....new season and everyones copy book is reset

And Tadgh got stripped in their 22.

Sarries were undoubtedly better on the day but I believe if we played Sarries 10 times over a season we'd win 4 or 5 times.

Finals do rest on these game changing moments. And Sarries had everything go for them. It was just their day. No shame in losing

I think most people would say the same.....not a whole pile between the teams...

Just a few errors, they got lucky with a couple of calls as well and we lost.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan Baird and Harry Byrne get their first ever starts for Leinster. CoB gets his first appearance of the season as well. Great to see Frawley back from injury. Leinster's pack is ridiculously good considering all the absentees.

15. Jimmy O’Brien (10)
    14. Dave Kearney (138)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (65)
    12. Conor O’Brien (18)
    11. James Lowe (32)
    10. Harry Byrne (3)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (74)
    1. Peter Dooley (65)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (5)
    3. Michael Bent (128)
    4. Devin Toner (234) CAPTAIN
    5. Ryan Baird (2)
    6. Max Deegan (50)
    7. Scott Penny (8)
    8. Caelan Doris (20)

16. James Tracy (96)
    17. Michael Milne (4)
    18. Jack Aungier (0)
    19. Ross Molony (86)
    20. Will Connors (7)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (16)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (14)
    23. Cian Kelleher (8)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Interesting to see H Byrne start, he’s looked very good. Delighted to see Frawley back I really like the look of him although hard to know where he’ll end up position wise.

Ryan Baird and Harry Byrne get their first ever starts for Leinster. CoB gets his first appearance of the season as well. Great to see Frawley back from injury. Leinster's pack is ridiculously good considering all the absentees.

15. Jimmy O’Brien (10)
    14. Dave Kearney (138)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (65)
    12. Conor O’Brien (18)
    11. James Lowe (32)
    10. Harry Byrne (3)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (74)
    1. Peter Dooley (65)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (5)
    3. Michael Bent (128)
    4. Devin Toner (234) CAPTAIN
    5. Ryan Baird (2)
    6. Max Deegan (50)
    7. Scott Penny (8)
    8. Caelan Doris (20)

16. James Tracy (96)
    17. Michael Milne (4)
    18. Jack Aungier (0)
    19. Ross Molony (86)
    20. Will Connors (7)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (16)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (14)
    23. Cian Kelleher (8)

Who cares about the WC's.....I am very excited about that team! Can't wait too see how they get on. The back row will be my big focus!! I have a feeling Deegan is going to end up at 6, not sure why but just think it might happen.....

Really love these games when you get to see all the young and coming players!! hopefully some of them can nail on starting jerseys for the bigger games coming!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You’re a wizard, Harry. Go get ‘em.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/european-squad-has-been-announced/?fbclid=IwAR24njNddVs2C4UHb7Z4Trh461viCBxNfelx-BckPZeWi0ktcVgHBV6EoM8

Leavy in the Euro squad??

No Cian Kelleher so that move has not been a roaring success for him so far.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/european-squad-has-been-announced/?fbclid=IwAR24njNddVs2C4UHb7Z4Trh461viCBxNfelx-BckPZeWi0ktcVgHBV6EoM8

Must be hopeful of a return for the tail end of the season, I really hope they don't rush him back.

Podge_irl wrote: »

There's new rules this season

3.5 To provide flexibility for clubs in light of Rugby World Cup 2019 and to cater for the possibility of long-term injuries sustained by players after the First Registration deadline but before Round 1, clubs may register up to five Swap Players on or before Wednesday 13 November 2019 to replace players previously registered by the club.

3.6 The registration of incoming Swap Players can be reversed before the deadline of midday (GMT) on Thursday 26 March 2020. Each player can only replace the player who was initially nominated as his Swap Player.

Basically they've included Conan, Leavy and Daly who are all long term absentees.

They'll likely be swapping them before 13th November but they will have the option to re register them for the Euro Squad at any stage before the 26th of March 2020.

Likely that they'll include Kelleher at the expense of Daly, Penny at the expense of Leavy and possibly someone like Baird at the expense of Conan

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Harry Byrne in and Frawley not is eye-opening.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Harry Byrne in and Frawley not is eye-opening.

Again, very possible that he will be swapped for one of Leavy, Conan or Daly.

Looking forward to seeing how Aungier gets on in his first senior game.

Really promising young team, be interesting to see how they get on, a lot of lads will be trying to impress ahead of the internationals return.

I wonder what the plan is for Osbourne, HOS makes an appearance again on the bench, but the preference for the A team so far was Osbourne starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

will be interesting also to see if Baird progresses up the pecking order this year, something has to give though with the number of locks at Leinster, I think Moloneys days might be numbered

typhoony wrote: »
    will be interesting also to see if Baird progresses up the pecking order this year, something has to give though with the number of locks at Leinster, I think Moloneys days might be numbered

Fardy signed a 1 year contract didn't he? So he will be gone next season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

typhoony wrote: »

Not so sure, Fardy will be moving on Ryan Toner molony Baird and a couple of younger guys id game time enough over the next few seasons. (I realise I’ve certainly missed someone obvious but I’m tired). Especially if someone is going to Ireland with Ryan constantly. Baird looks like he could be playing very high very quickly.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Not so sure, Fardy will be moving on Ryan Toner molony Baird and a couple of younger guys id game time enough over the next few seasons. (I realise I’ve certainly missed someone obvious but I’m tired). Especially if someone is going to Ireland with Ryan constantly. Baird looks like he could be playing very high very quickly.

Snap on Fardy

Toner will be winding down and Ryan is really only available for the big games now.

We still have a huge amount of games per season so I would expect Molony to stay on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement