Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Building heights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The public comments on social media about the Glasnevin case are more/less 100% in favour of the development and roundly comdem the nimbys and politicians. That's a positive change at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They're putting 4 and 5 bedroom houses in there ffs. They should no longer be allowed within a certain radius of the city.

As a single person in their late 20s with a transferrable skillset, why am I still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

paddyg91 wrote: »
    As a single person in their late 20s with a transferrable skillset, why am I still here?

Because you're an idiot!

That makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They're putting 4 and 5 bedroom houses in there ffs. They should no longer be allowed within a certain radius of the city.

I agree, I dont think it should be about what is simply most profitable for developers any more! Everyone was happy up to that point, build low density housing, suits the developers and planners down to the ground!

Here is a scheme in rathgar that had pp for 22 houses and now has pp for 107 apartments instead, a near five fold increase!

I agree that Id stop house building in almost all circumstances near the city centre. Unless the site is so small, that apartment block wouldnt be suitable etc...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/cairn-gets-go-ahead-for-107-rathgar-apartments-instead-of-22-houses-1.3840469

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I live in an apartment building with over 100 apartments, that originally had planning permission for 20ish houses!

Absolute madness that anywhere within the M50 still gets planning permission for houses.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I agree, I dont think it should be about what is simply most profitable for developers any more! Everyone was happy up to that point, build low density housing, suits the developers and planners down to the ground!

In fairness to developers, I think even they have realised that the market for 4/5 bedroom luxury homes is pretty much tapped out. There are only so many people who can afford homes close to a million. Specially with the tight mortgage lending rules.

I believe they are having difficulty shifting such homes, which is why they are now turning attention back to apartments again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Seems irresponsible Irish Rail to want that land developed, what with a crippling under capacity in Public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not the worst looking building to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »

I really think that the Government should amend the planning laws so that inside the canals is a city development zone, and therefore people can't appeal based on things like light, etc.

There's an appeal against a hotel on Parnell St as well, from a local resident:
    Given the residential nature of this area, any development has to be consistent with and sympathetic to that aspect of this area. Unfortunately, the proposed development is neither.

Parnell Street. Adjoining O'Connell Street. Residential. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

The thing is not height limits per se, but height limits based on existing (often historic) buildings in an area, respecting eaves heights and all…every responsibly managed European city has some rules and regulations in place to prevent high-rise where it should not be…building tall is cool in designated zones…

I've seen some site activity on tara house, some scaffolding going up but there's not been any commencement notice afaik.

Hopefully the tower will go ahead. If Metro does move to construction 18 months from now, it'll be interesting to see basically the whole of Tara st being a building site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cgcsb wrote: »
    I've seen some site activity on tara house, some scaffolding going up but there's not been any commencement notice afaik.

Hopefully the tower will go ahead. If Metro does move to construction 18 months from now, it'll be interesting to see basically the whole of Tara st being a building site.

Some site activity? Tara House is almost completely demolished.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1805325&page=94

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Irish Times - "Johnny Ronan’s bid to add floors at Dublin docklands tower shot down yet again"

"Commenting further on their decision, the city’s planners said the proposed addition of the two floors at Spencer Place would “ be unduly dominant and visually incongruous when viewed in the context of the existing quayscape on North Wall Quay, a conservation area, and the surrounding built environment.

The council added that the proposal would “ adversely impact on the setting of the former London and Northwestern Hotel, a protected structure, and other buildings of historic interest in the vicinity” of the Spencer Place campus, and “would present an unduly monolithic appearance when viewed from the surrounding streets”.”

Conservation area?! Are they actually having a laugh?! This is what they consider to be a conservation area, and the existing developments don't have "an unduly monolithic appearance when viewed from the surrounding streets"?!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Green Party complaining about NINE storey apartment block because of the "potential for fire issues".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/plans-for-nine-storey-social-housing-scheme-greedy-1.4058289?mode=amp

Comical stuff.

marno21 wrote: »
    Green Party complaining about NINE storey apartment block because of the "potential for fire issues".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/plans-for-nine-storey-social-housing-scheme-greedy-1.4058289?mode=amp

Comical stuff.

That party is a parody of themselves at this point.

A site was purchased in Clongriffin recently, short walk to the dart station. Massive site. Has pp for a very low density scheme and huge amounts of land will remain grazing land for cattle , within walking distance to the dart station!

It’s a total banana republic!

denartha wrote: »
    That party is a parody of themselves at this point.

Of course the Irish version of the greens , had to be a nimby first , green agenda second party !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

I fail to see why politicians see Ireland as so unique when it come to building development. We can't build high rise because it would destroy the landscape or the maintenance costs are too high or the fire risk is too great. For gods sake even Belfast is miles ahead in terms of development, a city on the same island!

• Advertisement

A site was purchased in Clongriffin recently, short walk to the day station. Massive site. Has pp for a very low density scheme and huge amounts of land will remain grazing land for cattle , within walking distance to the dart station!

It’s a total banana republic!

I live next to the new Cherrywood development. Before building started you could see cows grazing while standing on the Luas platform. Theres still a lot of fields right next to the Luas tracks between there and Carrickmines. The next stop down has empty fields on both sides of the tracks. Its far enough away from Georgian Dublin that any height of building will not spoil the skyline for anyone living on Leinster Road. Build there, build up.

You could house significant amounts of people in a relatively small area next to a regular, mostly reliable, transport system. But no.

Of course the Irish version of the greens , had to be a nimby first , green agenda second party !

They're an anti green party. They oppose gas exploration in Irish waters. Ya know gas the only technology we have presently capable of balancing a renewable lead electricity grid. They oppose dense housing I.e. the best way to minimise the human footprint on the plannet and reduce the need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Sure the same party would be lambasting the government for the housing and homelessness crisis - like what do they want? I actually think the development looks smart (though no doubt it will be destroyed by a small minority that will ultimately live there).

What really made me laugh out loud though was:
    “[Councillor John Lyons said the scheme was] a monolithic monstrosity that will totally destroy the area”

How exactly will this high quality development affect the architectual gems that are Bargaintown; Mattress Mick's; The Cadburys Factory; Odean, Power City and Leisureplex Coolock; and the Dulux site with it's neighbour, a derelict factory, directly to it's south?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

It's called urbanisation.

denartha wrote: »
    I live next to the new Cherrywood development. Before building started you could see cows grazing while standing on the Luas platform. Theres still a lot of fields right next to the Luas tracks between there and Carrickmines. The next stop down has empty fields on both sides of the tracks. Its far enough away from Georgian Dublin that any height of building will not spoil the skyline for anyone living on Leinster Road. Build there, build up.

You could house significant amounts of people in a relatively small area next to a regular, mostly reliable, transport system. But no.
    Your point is spot on. They have allocated ed colossal amounts of green space for cherrywood. And within a stones throw of the luas , endless five floor residential buildings, it’s beyomd a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

But Cherrywood is like 10km from the city centre, is 5 stories not reasonable? If we had five stories all the way from the city centre to Cherrywood we'd double Ireland's population i'd say

Dats me wrote: »
    But Cherrywood is like 10km from the city centre, is 5 stories not reasonable? If we had five stories all the way from the city centre to Cherrywood we'd double Ireland's population i'd say

The estate I live in has about 20 'tower' blocks of 5 storeys each. I'm not saying 5 stories is too much I'm saying it's too little. If they were ten stories each, as you say, it's 10km from the city centre, it wouldn't affect anyones view of the skyline. It would house twice as many people. It has underground carparking, even a leisure centre with a swimming pool. No-one could really notice if it was twice the size. There's not even other residents to complain about tall towers and nimby complaints. Not unless the cows get a petition together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Dats me wrote: »

How do you see all the semi-d estates between Cherrywood and the city centre turning into 5 story blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

Crossing over threads here but Cherrywood and its scope for high rise is the very reason that the greenline Luas should have and still should be upgraded to metro. We seem to be building new buildings back to front in Dublin, all the higher density areas away from the city centre and its employment with no real future plan on how these residents will commute back into the city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

prunudo wrote: »
    Crossing over threads here but Cherrywood and its scope for high rise is the very reason that the greenline Luas should have and still should be upgraded to metro. We seem to be building new buildings back to front in Dublin, all the higher density areas away from the city centre and its employment with no real future plan on how these residents will commute back into the city.

It is certainly common in similar sized European cities to have commuter towns, which consist of 10 storey buildings with shops, etc. on the ground floor, clustered around a high quality metro station from where the residents commute into the city.

Cherrywood can be a good example of this development model. But as you say the missing link is "high quality" and "metro". The Luas green line needs to be upgraded for this type of development.

Advertisement