Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COOLOCK residents are moving to try to block plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,807 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lola85 wrote: »
    All social tenants are SCUM!!

That’s according to people here and the residents.

im obviously mistaken but i assumed that a lot of coolock would be made up of corporation or ex corporation housing anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Cyrus wrote: »
    im obviously mistaken but i assumed that a lot of coolock would be made up of corporation or ex corporation housing anyway?
    You are 100% correct

Also to the other poster. It's Dublin 17 😀

Parts in D17, 13 and 5.....the village itself is Dublin 5 as far as I know. Hence the.....
    Dublin 5 and its environs

....part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

All social tenants are SCUM!!

That’s according to people here and the residents.

All scummy areas tend to be made up of a large number of social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The pink killer

Houses in that particular area are not cheap either so you can understand why they dont want ballymun like towers besides them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So whats the salary cut off for being civilised enough to live in anything over 2 storeys?

Parts in D17, 13 and 5.....the village itself is Dublin 5 as far as I know. Hence the.....

....part.

As someone who attended school in Coolock village it was always D17. I don't really care just being pedantic for the sake of it.

As someone who attended school in Coolock village it was always D17. I don't really care just being pedantic for the sake of it.

Well, seeing as we're talking about the districts and the full/correct name for them is "postal districts" maybe we could double check with somewhere that would have some sort of authority on the matter.......like.....say....the post office?

493547.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/reeling-in-disbelief-north-dublin-residents-bid-to-block-highrise-development-in-coolock-38451308.html

“The scheme will house a total of 88 one, two and three-bedroom apartments. Permission was granted despite 238 formal objections lodged by residents who are deeply opposed to the development for a number of reasons.”

Seriously will we ever solve this homeless crisis with most developments been opposed by locals??

How can we ever make progress on this issue???

What services are the council or developer's putting in place to deal with the population increase ?

Can the schools cope ? Can GP surgeries cope ? Is there enough amenities locally to keep the youth from boredom ?

What about traffic ? Will the roads be upgraded.

I'm in Virginia a small village back before the last boom. The town has seen a massive population increase and the services have not caught up ten years later.

Well, seeing as we're talking about the districts and the full/correct name for them is "postal districts" maybe we could double check with somewhere that would have some sort of authority on the matter.......like.....say....the post office?

493547.JPG
    Cool so my experience of actually going there and being involved with a body that claimed to be in D17 for 6 years and lay in the village comes no where near your internet research.

• Advertisement

I'm from the area and would always consider the village D5. D17 is more Clonshaugh etc. Anyway who gaf.

Cool so my experience of actually going there and being involved with a body that claimed to be in D17 for 6 years and lay in the village comes no where near your internet research.

Yes, your experience of being involved with that body may be flawed if the person who defined it as D17 in the first place was incorrect. That screenshot isnt 'Internet research', its a quote from the body directly responsible for the administration of the postal districts for the whole city. I mean, look at the eircode. That was only created, what, 3 years ago?

Question: where does D17 end and D5 start, in your opinion?

I'm from the area and would always consider the village D5. D17 is more Clonshaugh etc. Anyway who gaf.
    Agreed
    As I stated earlier I'm just being pedantic for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Question: where does D17 end and D5 start, in your opinion?

Ima chime in here and say the Oscar Traynor Road was mostly the border, apart from Cadburys which was always 5 :rolleyes:

Coolock Village was always Dublin 5

That pub in the village whats name escapes me has the best guinness ive ever tasted, Kyles yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

piplip87 wrote: »
    What services are the council or developer's putting in place to deal with the population increase ?

Can the schools cope ? Can GP surgeries cope ? Is there enough amenities locally to keep the youth from boredom ?

What about traffic ? Will the roads be upgraded.

I'm in Virginia a small village back before the last boom. The town has seen a massive population increase and the services have not caught up ten years later.

Jesus if we take that attitude or took it in the past why bother building anything???

Amenities to keep the youth from getting bored?

Are you having a laugh?

Is that some sort of threat, I mean what did kids do in the 50s and 60s when there was nothing compared to nowadays.

Yet crime was so much less back then.

Pure NIMBYS.

Oh I don’t want houses here because my GP won’t cope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I actually didn't post the link to the right article there.Here's the one I meant to post.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/developer-offers-471-apartments-for-social-housing-in-dublin-1.4058268?mode=amp

I took the main point from all that to be that the State spent 2 billion sorting out the whole Ballymun thing, and yet here we (potentially) go again.... regardless of area or how many storeys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Jesus if we take that attitude or took it in the past why bother building anything???

Amenities to keep the youth from getting bored?

Are you having a laugh?

Is that some sort of threat, I mean what did kids do in the 50s and 60s when there was nothing compared to nowadays.

Yet crime was so much less back then.

Pure NIMBYS.

Oh I don’t want houses here because my GP won’t cope.

Fick right off.

Except that is a problem.Where I live (not Coolock, by the way) hundreds of houses are being built amd in surrounding towns.What public transport there is around here is full to bursting yet being advertised as a selling point for these houses-a bus and train link to Dublin.Schools are full to bursting with long waiting lists.GPs are closed to taking new kids as patients.Local clubs have waiting lists.No shops or any type of facilities are being provided in one nearby town (which has basically nothing im it apart from hundreds of houses and more umder construction) and the roads are mediocre at best and very crowded.

It is not NIMBY-ism...people around here anyway are just sick to death of hundreds of houses (badly built) being dumped on us and no improvements to the services or amenities around the towns at all, nothing being included or forced as part of the developments.We are shocking at planning in this country.

People want houses built for the homeless and they want them built now.

The government will react when people rant there isn’t enough houses.

Tough if its where you live.

Every development has the same moaners crying it destroys the local mood and outlook blah blah.

Where do you want these apartments built?

Tell us where is ideal?

I'd like to see 20,30 or even 40 storey apartment blocks in the city centre, ideally around the Docklands area where people actually work and want to live, and often don't have families. I doubt that this type of dweller wants to sit on a bus/train/metro for any amount of time.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see 20,30 or even 40 storey apartment blocks in the city centre, ideally around the Docklands area where people actually work and want to live, and often don't have families. I doubt that this type of dweller wants to sit on a bus/train/metro for any amount of time.

Cool.

So what do we do with families of 4 and 5 children with no means to support themselves on the outskirts of the city?

Answers on a postcard.

Cool.

So what do we do with families of 4 and 5 children with no means to support themselves on the outskirts of the city?

Answers on a postcard.

More places to live in the centre means young professionals don't need to clog up the suburbs, Einstein

shesty wrote: »
    Except that is a problem.Where I live (not Coolock, by the way) hundreds of houses are being built amd in surrounding towns.What public transport there is around here is full to bursting yet being advertised as a selling point for these houses-a bus and train link to Dublin.Schools are full to bursting with long waiting lists.GPs are closed to taking new kids as patients.Local clubs have waiting lists.No shops or any type of facilities are being provided in one nearby town (which has basically nothing im it apart from hundreds of houses and more umder construction) and the roads are mediocre at best and very crowded.

It is not NIMBY-ism...people around here anyway are just sick to death of hundreds of houses (badly built) being dumped on us and no improvements to the services or amenities around the towns at all, nothing being included or forced as part of the developments.We are shocking at planning in this country.

Coolock.

Northside shopping center.
    Tesco clarehall.
    Omni santry.
    Aldi.
    Lidl.
    Artane shopping center.
    Iceland.

No SHOPS ay??????????

Pure NIMBYS at its finest.

More places to live in the centre means young professionals don't need to clog up the suburbs, Einstein

Like the fast track apartments that was proposed a few weeks ago but were shouted down as box apartments by the opposition?

Or co living was it?

As much as I would love high rise in the city center we are too thick as a country to see the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Coolock.

Northside shopping center.
    Tesco clarehall.
    Omni santry.
    Aldi.
    Lidl.
    Artane shopping center.
    Iceland.

Pure NIMBYS at its finest.

I hate this claptrap.

The infrastructure is not there to support the current traffic on the Malahide road, nevermind a development of monstrous proportions. Between Clare Hall and Malahide, the area is almost unrecognisable as all the land around Haughey's old stomping ground has been sold off for high density housing - Clare Hall, Clongriffin etc.

Make no mistake, we have not learnt from our previous mistakes. The Councils have spent years trying to undo Ballymun flats setups through regeneration only for some bright spark child architect to have the same idea again that will not work in Ireland. This is not fúckin Miami.

STB. wrote: »
    I hate this claptrap.

The infrastructure is not there as it is to support the current traffic on the malahide road, nevermind a development of monstrous proportions.

Make no mistake, we have not learnt from our previous mistakes. The Councils have spent years trying to undo Ballymun flats and regeneration only for some bright spark have the same idea, again that will not work in Ireland. This is not fúckin Miami.

But sure we had someone in this thread earlier telling us all the tenants will be unemployed anyway??

So not much traffic on that one.

What’s your proposals to solve the housing crisis apart from NIMBY?

Like the fast track apartments that was proposed a few weeks ago but were shouted down as box apartments by the opposition?

Or co living was it?

As much as I would love high rise in the city center we are too thick as a country to see the benefits.

The opposition were wrong about them. The only issue I have with those places (I presume you're referring to the one bed units with shared kitchen spaces) is the stupid rents proposed, €1300 a month iirc.

Agree with your second point. There's plenty of spaces available for high rise that wouldn't have any negative effect on culturally and architecturally sensitive areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

But sure we had someone in this thread earlier telling us all the tenants will be unemployed anyway??

So not much traffic on that one.

Yeah, not jumping at that.

High Rise DOES NOT work in suburbia.

STB. wrote: »
    Yeah, not jumping at that.

High Rise DOES NOT work in suburbia.

It does in other countries.

But wildlife or something..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Actually it does, the housing crisis is not just driven by lack of supply, affordability is as much a problem.

Would ya say there's a connection between supply and demand by chance? :pac:

Advertisement