Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Those 'people' and I use the term loosely are partitionist traitors.
    So what I learn is that scum don't like the Irish team.

Some people look at the rugby team and see
    1. Rory Best OBE and other northerners of Unionist backgrounds
    2. Mercenaries from SA & NZ
    3. Posh lads from fee paying schools
    4. Token few from Limerick making up the numbers

Throw in the fact that they don't play the National Anthem because it's not a ROI team.
    Then add all the team-of-us, and this-is-rugby-country b0110x and you can see how a large portion of the population do not like rugby or the rugby crowd one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

You'll get bandwagoners in every sport. How many of the thousands that went to France to fix tyres had been to a loi or local club game in the preceding 12 months.

This ain't a defence of the coverage of the sport but rugby isn't special in it's following or the marketing surrounding it.

For clarity I haven't been to an organised soccer match in a few years but used to go to Galway United and Bray wanderers games when I lived in Galway and south Dublin respectively. Companies advertise around sports that are doing well and getting coverage because we appear to have a lot of event junkies here regardless of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Is Jamie Heaslip a real fan? :pac:

Jamie makes his living as a pundit. He is one of those making 'the ink'.

Do you have a questioning brain? It is for you to assess what Jamie says and what all others were saying in the run up to the world cup and make up your own mind. And I can assure you their were opinions of all colour and shade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Jamie makes his living as a pundit. He is one of those making 'the ink'.

Do you have a questioning brain? It is for you to assess what Jamie says and what all others were saying in the run up to the world cup and make up your own mind. And I can assure you their were opinions of all colour and shade.

“I was looking at both 15s and I wouldn’t swap anyone – I actually think New Zealand might take one or two of our players if they had the choice"

Jamie Heaslip - before the hammering last weekend talking about how we measure up against the reigning world champions.

Now, please forward some "data" showing our soccer pundits talking such hyped up crap before any match. You can even go back to Italia 90 if you wish.

"Do you have a questioning brain" - genuinely worried i am arguing with a 12 year old.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I enjoy watching rugby ( prefer soccer but watching rugby since I was nine) but still can't understand rules surrounding rucks, breakdown etc

I can recognise turnovers and the aftermath of rucks but the technical details i struggle with, doesn't really hinder my following the game but i sort of have to wait while many phases of a game sort themselves out

I'm fairness I've played it on and off for years and as a back/backrow I don't get a lot of the scrum rules. It's a technical sport that amends it's rules to improve (health and spectacle mainly) the game. That can affect following it precisely. As you said though still followable.

• Advertisement

“I was looking at both 15s and I wouldn’t swap anyone – I actually think New Zealand might take one or two of our players if they had the choice"

Jamie Heaslip - before the hammering last weekend talking about how we measure up against the reigning world champions.

Now, please forward some "data" showing our soccer pundits talking such hyped up crap before any match. You can even go back to Italia 90 if you wish.

"Do you have a questioning brain" - genuinely worried i am arguing with a 12 year old.

Heaslip played with a lot of those guys though, you'll find a lot of pundits who are recently retired reluctant to criticise their former teammates. Heaslip is relatively inane too.

Heaslip played with a lot of those guys though, you'll find a lot of pundits who are recently retired reluctant to criticise their former teammates. Heaslip is relatively inane too.

Again, show me any pundit in soccer who would say that none of the Germany/Brazil/France teams would be good enough to get in our team before we go out to play them in a big game.

I heard Heaslip saying that....I thought he was on drugs.

Did you swallow it? Did you place a bet on what he said? Is this where it is coming from?

Jesus lad, you need to relax a bit about this stuff. It's punditry.

I heard Heaslip saying that....I thought he was on drugs.

Did you swallow it? Did you place a bet on what he said? Is this where it is coming from?

Jesus lad, you need to relax a bit about this stuff. It's punditry.

Sure i have been relaxed throughout our exchange Francie. I havent had to misquote you or misrepresent what you are saying either to make my point.

I'm assuming you cannot find a soccer equivalent to Heaslip's nonsense?

I think the question as to why people might find the rugby coverage a little tiring given the paucity of achievement has been answered adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bambi wrote: »
    Actually Rugby does appear to be quite a pricey past time

Expensive school with the extra curricular activities costing a fortune
    Coaching & Supplements

I know 4x4 mummies who pushed their primary school kids into rugby because they think its great for networking, for both the kids and them:D

The private school thing aside does anyone know how much it costs parents for a rugby season if their kid is selected for an underage side? Heard a segment on the radio recently that football clubs are around €400-500 a season which surprised me, never knew it was that high. Im not even sure what it goes towards, probably up keep of the club and transport for away days.

I think though there is something in the private schools thing and the success of the national side. Only speculating here but perhaps the talent pool in private schools is not big enough to later produce an Irish team capable of winning the world cup. Problem is though in order to have the quality of players to win a WC you need the kids to be playing rugby religiously from a young age, they need to do their 10,000 hours as it were. They more or less do it that way in private schools but outside of that system kids will often dilute their rugby with GAA and football. So they never become good enough to challenge the kids from private schools who are only playing rugby from a young age and then into the academy system. The net for the talent pool needs to be broader that just the private school system imo.

• Advertisement

Again, show me any pundit in soccer who would say that none of the Germany/Brazil/France teams would be good enough to get in our team before we go out to play them in a big game.

Why are you asking me that, it's not what I said. Saying any of our players would get into the English team would be the equivalent tbh

Sure i have been relaxed throughout our exchange Francie. I havent had to misquote you or misrepresent what you are saying either to make my point.

I think the question as to why people might find the rugby coverage a little tiring given the paucity of achievement has been answered adequately.

The GAA get trounced if we play the Aussies in international rules, want to start having pops at them?

The coverage was over the top but that isn't unique to rugby, it's any sport we are seen to be doing well in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

I support Ireland in rugby, none of the provinces. I am from Leinster and I went to some Leinster games a good few years ago but honestly, I couldn't stick the D4 thing. Talking about boggers and culchies as if Leinster was just 1 county and the accent was grating. I do like to see all the provinces do well obviously, leads to a greater Irish team. But I do see why some despise the rugby crowd, some can be obnoxious and I follow rugby less than when I was younger. It was better not knowing much about the players. Now knowing about some of their privileged upbringings and disgusting behaviour off the pitch, it does turn me off supporting them slightly.

My granny had advice on that as well...switch it off.

I do it frequently during sporting events and I rarely if ever listen to punditry.

The Dunphy's, Brolly's, Heaslip's of this world sure know how to keep themselves in a job when they get can people fulminating about what they say.

The GAA get trounced if we play the Aussies in international rules, want to start having pops at them?

The coverage was over the top but that isn't unique to rugby, it's any sport we are seen to be doing well in.

In fairness, GAA players are amateur playing against professionals. The Irish rugby team are highly paid professionals. Knowing this, their performance was embarrassing at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I support Ireland in rugby, none of the provinces. I am from Leinster and I went to some Leinster games a good few years ago but honestly, I couldn't stick the D4 thing. Talking about boggers and culchies as if Leinster was just 1 county and the accent was grating. I do like to see all the provinces do well obviously, leads to a greater Irish team. But I do see why some despise the rugby crowd, some can be obnoxious and I follow rugby less than when I was younger. It was better not knowing much about the players. Now knowing about some of their privileged upbringings and disgusting behaviour off the pitch, it does turn me off supporting them slightly.

What's do bad listening to Ross O'Carroll Kelly.

In fairness, GAA players are amateur playing against professionals. The Irish rugby team are highly paid professionals. Knowing this, their performance was embarrassing at the world cup.

You've been banging that drum since you registered. Hit the ground running anyway.

Regarding the GAA players they used to compete vs pros in the past, not sure what's caused the drop off but it is disappointing we don't get to see them nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The "Sport" is an absolute load of bollocks, I do not consider it a sport to be honest.
    A load of fat f*ckers colliding into one another, amazing the crap people will follow if Ireland wins at it, they'd go mad for the hammer throwing if we had some lad that could chuck a hammer 100m ... or whatever the olympic gold standard is for that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

What do you consider to be a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The private school thing aside does anyone know how much it costs parents for a rugby season if their kid is selected for an underage side? Heard a segment on the radio recently that football clubs are around €400-500 a season which surprised me, never knew it was that high. Im not even sure what it goes towards, probably up keep of the club and transport for away days.
    in a club you wouldnt be paying 400-500 per season.
    Only season I've ever had anything near that was seasons I went on over seas tours and that happened 3 times in 12 years between mini rugby(up to u12 level) and youths rugby(u13 to u18)
    You have membership which could be 80 though some clubs can be up to 120/130 for kids with then there may be some costs for buses etc going tongames.
    I think though there is something in the private schools thing and the success of the national side. Only speculating here but perhaps the talent pool in private schools is not big enough to later produce an Irish team capable of winning the world cup. Problem is though in order to have the quality of players to win a WC you need the kids to be playing rugby religiously from a young age, they need to do their 10,000 hours as it were. They more or less do it that way in private schools but outside of that system kids will often dilute their rugby with GAA and football. So they never become good enough to challenge the kids from private schools who are only playing rugby from a young age and then into the academy system. The net for the talent pool needs to be broader that just the private school system imo.
    pool through fee paying schools isnt big enough but provinces will pick a lot from there as the people emerging generally will be stronger but as clubs and youths rugby and newer schools improve the numbers emerging to people level from these will increase.
    The 10000 hours isnt necessarily true. There is huge numbers of outliers to that or at least hours within the sport of rugby itself as has been plenty to play to high level of rugby who started playing in mid late teens having already played decent amount of other sports.
    The net is going beyond private schools with development and coaching officers paid by provinces/irfu bringing sport to new areas/schools teaching the sport..
    but that's only a tiny portion of the crowd and leinster rugby themselves do a lot to bring sport beyond that small group of people....

• Advertisement

You've been banging that drum since you registered. Hit the ground running anyway.

Regarding the GAA players they used to compete vs pros in the past, not sure what's caused the drop off but it is disappointing we don't get to see them nowadays.

It was a shambles. Don't know how people can't face up to that.

They still do compete with the pros?

but that's only a tiny portion of the crowd and leinster rugby themselves do a lot to bring sport beyond that small group of people....

Too be honest, I found it more widespread than a small group. I gave it a go, me and another outside Dublin Leinster person, it just wasn't for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

The'rugby crowd'? A lot more sound people playing rugby and going to matches than some D4 snobs. So there's a few D4 snobs going, there are actually some decent people with posh accents. Not every culchie is sound either. If there's some that annoy you, just ignore them, enjoy the craic with sounder people.

The'rugby crowd'? A lot more sound people playing rugby and going to matches than some D4 snobs. So there's a few D4 snobs going, there are actually some decent people with posh accents. Not every culchie is sound either. If there's some that annoy you, just ignore them, enjoy the craic with sounder people.

The last game I went to was a Leinster v Munster game, maybe not the best to assess things on but it wasn't great. I was surrounded by other Leinster fans so maybe I didn't hear the abuse from the other side but shouts of 'go home to the bog', 'culchie knackers' and things like that turned me off. We never went again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

in a club you wouldnt be paying 400-500 per season.

Thanks for clarifying, had thought it might be more expensive than that. While not cheap either most famileis could afford it if their kid loves rugby and is decent at it
    pool through fee paying schools isnt big enough but provinces will pick a lot from there as the people emerging generally will be stronger but as clubs and youths rugby and newer schools improve the numbers emerging to people level from these will increase.
    The 10000 hours isnt necessarily true. There is huge numbers of outliers to that or at least hours within the sport of rugby itself as has been plenty to play to high level of rugby who started playing in mid late teens having already played decent amount of other sports.
    The net is going beyond private schools with development and coaching officers paid by provinces/irfu bringing sport to new areas/schools teaching the sport..

Yeah agreed, its all about increasing the net of the talent pool. I just wonder do kids who have only been playing it 3 or 4 years often lose out to kids who have been playing it 8 or 9 years and then they wander away from the game and back to GAA/football. Had they stayed they might have been late developers but if they're on the bench constantly they'll lose interest and move to other sports.

Problem is what we're up against is the likes of NZ where all their kids play rugby so even though our populations are similar their talent pool would be multiples the size of ours. Then you've Wales where its played by more kids and then the bigger populated countries like SA, France, England where they have a naturally large talent pool because their populations are in the tens of millions. Im sure the IRFU are doing everything they can to increase numbers playing the game but with GAA and football so prevalant in public schools coupled with parents fears of head injuries in rugby they are really up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thanks for clarifying, had thought it might be more expensive than that. While not cheap either most famileis could afford it if their kid loves rugby and is decent at it
    max I think I've seen is maybe 200 for membership for a year but that only be in around Dublin. Anywhere else kids membership is much less.
    aYeah agreed, its all about increasing the net of the talent pool. I just wonder do kids who have only been playing it 3 or 4 years often lose out to kids who have been playing it 8 or 9 years and then they wander away from the game and back to GAA/football. Had they stayed they might have been late developers but if they're on the bench constantly they'll lose interest and move to other sports.
    its ot that kids who've picked up the sport late aren't picked its kids in the fee paying schools in leinster train 3 times a week and play 18-20 games a year at a minimum which is far more than those elsewhere in the main so it's not that they're playing longer its they are playing more.
    Problem is what we're up against is the likes of NZ where all their kids play rugby so even though our populations are similar their talent pool would be multiples the size of ours. Then you've Wales where its played by more kids and then the bigger populated countries like SA, France, England where they have a naturally large talent pool because their populations are in the tens of millions. Im sure the IRFU are doing everything they can to increase numbers playing the game but with GAA and football so prevalant in public schools coupled with parents fears of head injuries in rugby they are really up against it.
    in New Zealand it's more the best athletes in the country play rugby. Here they dont. Kids with potential to be world class rugby players dont get enough access to the sport but that's changing as more development officers are hired and facilities developed to help those not in fee paying schools get to play at higher levels.
    There is more kids playing the sport in Ireland than in Wales. But rugby is national sport there so best athletes will be more likely to play rugby than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

31 counties are amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

More kids under 12 in NZ play soccer than rugby. It may even be up to under 15.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    More kids under 12 in NZ play soccer than rugby. It may even be up to under 15.

Jesus, another excuse squashed! Don't worry though, there's plenty more excuses in their locker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Big deal if it's important to the Maori, not everyone feels obliged to sit quietly in awe

New Zealanders are the most humourless bunch on earth when it comes to their rugby team, sod them

Come on mate. I apologised for hooking up with your girl. It was a one night stand. No need to slag off my whole country for it.

Advertisement