Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Clegg wrote: »
    Maybe for the knockouts. But our pool doesn't contain the toughest of opposition.

https://www.lnr.fr/rugby-top-14/classement-rugby-top-14

Looks tough enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Trojan wrote: »

Yeah, Lyon have only lost one which was away to Clermont.
    Lyon had a man red-carded, also Northampton beat Sarries in Sarries… both missing players but not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

scott1974 wrote: »
    Yeah, Lyon have only lost one which was away to Clermont.
    Lyon had a man red-carded, also Northampton beat Sarries in Sarries… both missing players but not to be sniffed at.

Neither Saints or Lyon have lost many players to the world cup. A fit and firing Leinster won't lose to either.

Neither Saints or Lyon have lost many players to the world cup. A fit and firing Leinster won't lose to either.

Saints have 16 missing through injury and WC combined.
    Not sure about Lyon.

scott1974 wrote: »
    Saints have 16 missing through injury and WC combined.
    Not sure about Lyon.

And Saracens are missing 15 through world cup call ups alone. All of these league games are shadow boxing until test players return. And when they do I can't see anyone in the group matching up to Leinster. Although I wasn't aware Northampton had such a long injury list.

• Advertisement

And Saracens are missing 15 through world cup call ups alone. All of these league games are shadow boxing until test players return. And when they do I can't see anyone in the group matching up to Leinster. Although I wasn't aware Northampton had such a long injury list.

That doesn't include the Franks brothers, although I think the main difference with them is their coach. I still think we should beat them but I don't think they are the rabble we played a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

That's potentially a brilliant backrow in fairness, probably the envy of most clubs in Europe.

is it though? We should probably take off the blue and green glasses.

Maybe in the future. I'm excited about Penny. Deegan maybe. But a long way to go. Deegan and Doris look underpowered at the moment to be top class number 8's. They are only young and were beasts at 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Niallof9 wrote: »
    is it though? We should probably take off the blue and green glasses.

I do think so, to be honest. You have a number of quality international players, and a group of young lads who have potential be be top internationals themselves. Perhaps right now it looks precipitous to say, but in a year or two, I'd be surprised if the Irish backrow didn't consist entirely of Leinster players, injuries notwithstanding. It should already, but that's a separate discussion.

Edit to add, the fact they are all Leinster Academy produced players is absolutely something that other clubs would be envious of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Like i was optimistic but in the last couple of days ive changed my mind. We just have no way of knowing. The World Cup was far too sobering for me.

But yeah the home grown thing is great.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Like i was optimistic but in the last couple of days ive changed my mind. We just have no way of knowing. The World Cup was far too sobering for me.

But yeah the home grown thing is great.

I take solace in Leo and Stu being great coaches, who have a great style of play. Last year was a down year, but I'm really looking forward to this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A back row of Ruddock, VDF and Conan probably isn't even the best in Ireland, let alone being the envy of Europe.

These things are cyclical. We've had ten years of incredible quality in the back row, we might be in for a dip.

I think Doris is the most likely of the current youngsters to really make an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A back row of Ruddock, VDF and Conan probably isn't even the best in Ireland, let alone being the envy of Europe.

These things are cyclical. We've had ten years of incredible quality in the back row, we might be in for a dip.

I think Doris is the most likely of the current youngsters to really make an impact.

Who is better in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not so sure about that.

The best a different province could do is Munster with POM, Stander and TOD

TOD wouldn't have a patch on VDF. Neither would Cloete and O'Donoghue certainly wouldn't.

Ulster might have a shout with Nordi and Coetzee at 7 and 8 but they've no 6 that would compete.

Not sure we're heading for a dip. There's some very impressive talent coming through in the BR

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Name a better one in Ireland...

Ah it definitely is the best on the country. That could be because the Leinster front five is better than all the others gives the backrow a great platform. But the end result is really the same. They outperform the opposition on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Would you have considered EOS a success coach? He won the most games ever by an Irish coach, up til Joe. Never won any silverware. I'm grateful for what we won with Joe, but he failed with respect to the WC. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, and I would consider the WC the ultimate measure of an International coach. That's how other nations also view it, rightly so.

Can't agree either or both Vunipola could have ended up here, same with Manu our poaches are not very good.
    A few Welsh lads I worked with hate or don't rate Hadleigh Parkes and yet he has bailed out Wales time and time again.

That's nonsense in fairness. That's a backrow combo good enough to win a HC, without even mentioning Leavy or Fardy. Add to that players like Deegan, Doris and Penny, who've already demonstrated quality at underage levels. What clubs would you say outstrip Leinster in backrow options? Saracens, some of the French clubs perhaps, but I wouldn't say by much, if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So, away to Zebre this weekend. They've conceded over 50 in every game so far, including Dragons at home. What kind of squad would we like to see for it? Personally I'd go with something like the below. The back 3 here could tear Zebre apart while the bench would probably scare the life out of them....

Milne Tracy Abdaladze
    Molony Fardy
    Murphy Doris Connors

Osbourne RByrne
    Tomane COB
    Lowe Keenan Byrne

Kelleher, Dooley, Bent, Toner, Deegan, JGP, HByrne, JOB

antietam1 wrote: »
    Can't agree either or both Vunipola could have ended up here, same with Manu our poaches are not very good.
    A few Welsh lads I worked with hate or don't rate Hadleigh Parkes and yet he has bailed out Wales time and time again.

Not sure you're replying to me there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

molloyjh wrote: »
    So, away to Zebre this weekend. They've conceded over 50 in every game so far, including Dragons at home. What kind of squad would we like to see for it? Personally I'd go with something like the below. The back 3 here could tear Zebre apart while the bench would probably scare the life out of them....

Milne Tracy Abdaladze
    Molony Fardy
    Murphy Doris Connors

Osbourne RByrne
    Tomane COB
    Lowe Keenan Byrne

Kelleher, Dooley, Bent, Toner, Deegan, JGP, HByrne, JOB

Might see Harry Byrne start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Not sure you're replying to me there?

Sorry about that if so.

antietam1 wrote: »
    Sorry about that if so.

It's grand, just wasn't sure what you were trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Might see Harry Byrne start.

I think if you have Harry Byrne starting you need to put JGP inside him, playing two young half backs is a risky move even against Treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think if you have Harry Byrne starting you need to put JGP inside him, playing two young half backs is a risky move even against Treviso.

Yeah probably, Just think Byrne is the big prospect for this year and with Sexton back soon enough he might get time now, a bit at Christmas then some more during the 6N. 2 or 3 starts for the season along with maybe 6 or 7 bench’s. (injuries withstanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agreed. Hoping to see a lot of JGP this year. His form over the last 18 months has been outstanding following some blips and he's still only 27 so has plenty of years left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Nobody worried about Pennys size at the top level? Seems a good bit smaller then VDF, and say Hooper who is considered a small 7. I know he was a quality underage player but I’m having doubts about whether he’ll make it at HC knockout/international level.

Nobody worried about Pennys size at the top level? Seems a good bit smaller then VDF, and say Hooper who is considered a small 7. I know he was a quality underage player but I’m having doubts about whether he’ll make it at HC knockout/international level.

He is 20

Give the lad a chance

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah probably, Just think Byrne is the big prospect for this year and with Sexton back soon enough he might get time now, a bit at Christmas then some more during the 6N. 2 or 3 starts for the season along with maybe 6 or 7 bench’s. (injuries withstanding)

H Byrne is probably next year more than this year, Sexton will be our marquee 10, rolled out for the big games

Ross really is our starting 10 at this stage and then H Byrne will be used like Frawley was last year, the odd Pro 14 game etc of Sexton is a risk for Europe and they want to keep R Byrne in reserve

Next year Sexton will be winding down and really should be Ross and Harry fighting it out over starting 10

But who is to say Harry doesn’t do a Larmour and jump the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Nobody worried about Pennys size at the top level? Seems a good bit smaller then VDF, and say Hooper who is considered a small 7.

No, he plays in a position where speed and agility are two of the most important factors.

Opensides are having a bit of come back, having become an endangered species over the last 20 years.
    We've seen so many blindsides shoved into a 7 jersey that I think we forget what they look like and we definitely forget how to use them.

We're seeing (over the last 5 or so years) how size is falling short against skill and tempo. We need a mix of all of these qualities in a team.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope.

He reminds me of a young Sean o brien.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement