Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I bet it was a woman or some sad bloke who made up this nonsense making general sweeping assumptions and trying to pass off this horsesh1t as some sort of fact, which it is not,

As for mgtow or whatever they are suppose to be I bet that too is made up nonsense.

To put single men in groups to fit an agenda is the sort of sexist crap ,that if a man did similar and put women in derogatory groups, you bet your ass the feminazis would be out in force playing the victim citing sexism.
    They label themselves and the only thing made up is the fantasy world Incels have created where people are Chads, Staceys or Beckys. It's really weird and creepy and they've entire forums dedicated to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

tells you what I know about these morons.
    I am a bit of a luddite in that department, no mobile phone, no facebook etc, so my only time every seeing these terms are when I go online, and I have up to now avoided the topic.
    I just see it as mundane nonsense spouted by people who are desperate for attention and most likely lack any genuine social contact skills in the real world and think the internet is all important and use it as their soapbox to compensate for their emptiness or loneliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They label themselves and the only thing made up is the fantasy world Incels have created where people are Chads, Staceys or Beckys. It's really weird and creepy and they've entire forums dedicated to it.

You know far too much about this stuff, Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

...mundane nonsense spouted by people who are desperate for attention and most likely lack any genuine social contact skills in the real world and think the internet is all important and use it as their soapbox to compensate for their emptiness or loneliness.

Yeah. That’s what I was getting at very sad for these people living like that. They tend to have poor social skills and not really understand social interactions.

Life must be very confusing, frustrating and lonely for these lads.

I blame peoples obsession with mobile phones for a lot of the problems with social interaction.

I was on a bus about 2 weeks ago and I was the only person outside of the driver not on a mobile phone.
    People standing at bus stops, or in waiting rooms, queues, etc dont interact anymore, or at least the younger people do not, and I am not sure most know how to or have a desire to.

I think its sad.

• Advertisement

I blame peoples obsession with mobile phones for a lot of the problems with social interaction.

I was on a bus about 2 weeks ago and I was the only person outside of the driver not on a mobile phone.
    People standing at bus stops, or in waiting rooms, queues, etc dont interact anymore, or at least the younger people do not, and I am not sure most know how to or have a desire to.

I think its sad.

Is it anti social if they are social media?

Is it anti social if they are social media?

I understand the need for phones, social media etc, but in the end real conversation with real people is more important to me.
    Accumulating friends on facebook means feckall in the real world.

I rather strike up a conversation with someone than sit in silence next to someone staring at some phone.

I understand the need for phones, social media etc, but in the end real conversation with real people is more important to me.

I rather strike up a conversation with someone than sit in silence next to someone staring at some phone.

So which do they find more interesting, you or their phone?

Prior to devices people didn’t really have conversations with strangers on buses, or tubes or what have you.

You know far too much about this stuff, Paddy.
    When I first started seeing references to MGTOW and Incels I didn't know what people were talking about and did some googling. MGTOW seem pretty harmless but the Incels are pretty scary. The whole Stacey/Becky thing is ridiculous and at first I thought it was a joke but I checked out an incel forum and they really do exist and are very messed up individuals. I would not want to get on the wrong side of one in real life.

• Advertisement

When I first started seeing references to MGTOW and Incels I didn't know what people were talking about and did some googling. MGTOW seem pretty harmless but the Incels are pretty scary. The whole Stacey/Becky thing is ridiculous and at first I thought it was a joke but I checked out an incel forum and they really do exist and are very messed up individuals. I would not want to get on the wrong side of one in real life.

I presume it’s all internet bluster. Like the way some blokes say the stuff in lads WhatsApp groups is just banter and guff.

I’d say you see them every day in real life and it doesn’t cost you a thought. A few of the people involved in shootings in America have also been incels, white suprematist etc.

The bottom line about them (and the MGTOW lads) is they can’t compete in the modern world. Either the can’t compete because the world has changed or they wouldn’t have been able to compete anyway - i don’t know how you would tell the difference. Sad existence either way

I agree. I have no problem with people who actively engage with social media but there is a time and place. We were out for my sister's birthday one time and my older sister wanted to take a picture to put on fb. She didn't like the first four so they had to be deleted :rolleyes: She kept wanting pictures throughout the night and it just got on my nerves and in the end I refused and got called a party pooper.
    You have to know your audience though. I've had some great random conversations with people on public transport but there have been times where I simply wasn't in the mood to socalise and just wanted peace and quiet but the chatterbox beside me wouldn't respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I admire Trump not his policies (they have no relevance to me)
    But how he has played the game and won spectacularly. How despite everything that is thrown at him which would have sunk lesser people he still survives.
    Also his use of Twitter has proved a great move - to keep himself constantly in the public consciousness and at the same time being able to circumvent old media.
    He keeps his message simple and does not over complicate it.

Also I have to admit I get a kick out of how annoyed some people get over Trump.
    Especially non-Americans when they come out with things like #notmypresident :rolleyes:

The real funny part will be if he could win again.
    A great man, a lot smarter than he is portrayed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You have to know your audience though. I've had some great random conversations with people on public transport but there have been times where I simply wasn't in the mood to socalise and just wanted peace and quiet but the chatterbox beside me wouldn't respect that.

Absolutely, you have to be able to read people to know if they want to engage or not. Sometimes you come across people who have no desire to interact and likewise be able to convey that to others without being rude to others if they dont get the hint you want to be left alone.

Therein lies the problem, most people have lost that social skill to interact or read the situation as their main experiences of debate and conversation and sociability etc is done online which means nothing in the real world

Absolutely, you have to be able to read people to know if they want to engage or not. Sometimes you come across people who have no desire to interact and likewise be able to convey that to others without being rude to others if they dont get the hint you want to be left alone.

Therein lies the problem, most people have lost that social skill to interact or read the situation as their main experiences of debate and conversation and sociability etc is done online which means nothing in the real world

The idea that teenagers or people who know each other don’t talk to each other isn’t evident to me when I’m on public transport. People on their devices would have been reading a book in a different era, maybe they still are.

The only problem with devices is when people use them in social settings to ignore the people they are with, it’s not ignoring strangers on a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Also I have to admit I get a kick out of how annoyed some people get over Trump.

I'd be a bit indifferent towards him myself. I mean, he's obviously bad (and anyone who thinks otherwise is a cunt), but his predecessors were hardly good. I get a kick out of the people who hate him, but make a big song and dance about how they "respect the office" and insist on calling him "Sir" when they pointlessly respond to his shite talk on Twitter... "You've gone too far this time, Sir!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

People should have to get some sort of licence before they have kids and that licence should be able to dictate how many they can have.

All state housing should be capped at 3 bed.

No benefits should have an increase per child. You can't go to your boss and say I need a 20 quid a week increase for each one of my 10 kids.

The majority of travellers I have met were sound. The worse ones were the wannabe travellers.

Anyone who moves to the country should have to pay tax and prsi for at least 5 years before they can apply for any benefits or housing including medical card.

All housing needs to be regulated, caps on rent caps on valuations and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Cigarettes should go up €2 per year.
    • If you want to have kids, you should be vetted on your living conditions and means. Having kids without getting vetted should result in a fine.
    • Religion should be abolished throughout the country.
    • They should remove the learner permit for drivers completely, and have it so that you are not allowed to operate a vehicle under any circumstances until you have a full license and have passed your test flawlessly. You should also not be allowed to drive until the age of 18 years old. NOT 16.
    • The age of sexual consent should be 18, not 17 (it's ****ing 16 in the UK) -- far too many young parents not able to mind a child and nothing can be done about it. I refer back to my living conditions and means test.
    • If your dog is a constant barker, you should be fined if you leave it outside overnight.

I could go on all night, but I'm wrecked so, yeah, that was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Buying rounds should be stopped. Bloody messy business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

• Cigarettes should go up €2 per year.

• If you want to have kids, you should be vetted on your living conditions and means. Having kids without getting vetted should result in a fine.
    • Religion should be abolished throughout the country.
    • They should remove the learner permit for drivers completely, and have it so that you are not allowed to operate a vehicle under any circumstances until you have a full license and have passed your test flawlessly. You should also not be allowed to drive until the age of 18 years old. NOT 16.
    • The age of sexual consent should be 18, not 17 (it's ****ing 16 in the UK) -- far too many young parents not able to mind a child and nothing can be done about it. I refer back to my living conditions and means test.
    • If your dog is a constant barker, you should be fined if you leave it outside overnight.

I could go on all night, but I'm wrecked so, yeah, that was fun.

What happens if your circumstances change significantly after having children?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The idea that teenagers or people who know each other don’t talk to each other isn’t evident to me when I’m on public transport. People on their devices would have been reading a book in a different era, maybe they still are.

The only problem with devices is when people use them in social settings to ignore the people they are with, it’s not ignoring strangers on a bus.

Yup. I’m often reading a book on Kindle. Would reading a physical book be better?

Yup. I’m often reading a book on Kindle. Would reading a physical book be better?

I’d bet they think a book is somehow better than a phone. And I’d bet they think a newspaper is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I personally believe most great people will never be known or celebrated by most of us because of the quite shallow values we celebrate as a species. Trump is just a salesman who is good at taking advantage of peoples limited capacity to understand anything deeper then his stage character and not really investigate his rhetoric that just changes with the weather. He is quite representative of us as a species IMO.

I don’t see anything to admire about him on any meaningful capacity. Inherited pretty much most of the money he has. I remember reading that if he invested his inheritance in a basic index fund and just left it there he’d have more wealth. But he’s a walking ego throwing money around that he inherited and probably doesn’t understand “no”. Like a man child , I would say he has zero capacity for any meaningful self reflection and as such is incapable of self correction as he only rates what he does by popularity.

But what he’s done is created himself into a brand which any narcissist with a couple of billion could do if they really wanted. Oxford analytics has shown how anybody with money can now manipulate entire countries with the right marketing. Trump is an opportunist salesmen who was in the right place at the right time. Trump Ended up a as republican nomination after an 8 year democrat stint which nearly always guarantees a win in itself and he was up agaisnt arguably the least popular presidential candidate ever in Hilary Clinton.

The response to him has been hyperbolic at times and I don’t believe the democrats have learned anything either to be fair. But I don’t get the impression Trump is particularly intelligent at all, quite average to maybe below average but he’s smart at conning people into following or investing in him. I think it’s his lack of intelligence that most people can identify with him on some level. I remember a friend who loves American politics saying part of the reason John Kerry didn’t win was because he was too intelligent and Americans couldn’t identify or fully understand what he was saying whereas the more simple Bush Jr was somebody they could interpret and relate to. Same with Trump, his message is simple and he knows his target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

But how he has played the game and won spectacularly.

There's absolutely nothing admirable about a bored billionaire narcissist that decided to run for President fro his own self aggrandisement and won because the other side put forward a terrible candidate.
    Especially non-Americans when they come out with things like #notmypresident :rolleyes:

The real funny part will be if he could win again.

There are certainly silly people, who are far too obsessed with cheap American "politics", that say ridiculous things about Trump n a lamentably regular basis. But that doesn't make Trump a "great man". Nor does it make him "smart" either, which he demonstrably isn't.

He's just somebody that's come from money and who's wealth has acted as a buffer for him. He doesn't live in anything resembling the real world.

And now he's simply a figurehead for Republican party politics, who has a cult-like following, which the party uses for its own ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Your Face wrote: »

Oh I think that's already well on the way to being the norm.

Also, not an unpopular opinion. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Your Face wrote: »

Just get your round in will you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing admirable about a bored billionaire narcissist that decided to run for President fro his own self aggrandisement and won because the other side put forward a terrible candidate.

What's more worrying is that Hillary Clinton had a significant amount of experience in public life, her husband was a two term president and she had the whole democrat party behind her and she couldn't beat Donald Trump in two horse race.

What does it say abut American politics when this is the best they have to offer.

Why is this country still the centre of the universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's more worrying is that Hillary Clinton had a significant amount of experience in public life, her husband was a two term president and she had the whole democrat party behind her and she couldn't beat Donald Trump in two horse race.

What does it say abut American politics when this is the best they have to offer.

Why is this country still the centre of the universe?

The country where anyone can become president, provided they have a sh1t ton of money.
    That tv reality show embarrassment of a country won't be centre of the universe for much longer.

Tony EH wrote: »

There are certainly silly people, who are far too obsessed with cheap American "politics", that say ridiculous things about Trump n a lamentably regular basis. But that doesn't make Trump a "great man". Nor does it make him "smart" either, which he demonstrably isn't.

He's just somebody that's come from money and who's wealth has acted as a buffer for him. He doesn't live in anything resembling the real world.

And now he's simply a figurehead for Republican party politics, who has a cult-like following, which the party uses for its own ends.

I watched a series and programme on Netflix about him he was very calculating. Not like the buffoon he is made out to be by his ardent detractors.

If it was simply a case of someone 'coming from money' he would not have gotten as far as he did.
    He actually took a lot of his presentation style from Jesse 'The Ace' Ventura who became Governor of Minnesota. Be loud, be heard, get noticed.

I think it is a great achievement for Trump to get the Presidency considering many thought he was a novelty or laughing stock. A no-hoper.
    But you are correct his main motivation to become President seemed to be for his own self aggrandisement.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I personally believe most great people will never be known or celebrated by most of us because of the quite shallow values we celebrate as a species. Trump is just a salesman who is good at taking advantage of peoples limited capacity to understand anything deeper then his stage character and not really investigate his rhetoric that just changes with the weather. He is quite representative of us as a species IMO.

I don’t see anything to admire about him on any meaningful capacity. Inherited pretty much most of the money he has. I remember reading that if he invested his inheritance in a basic index fund and just left it there he’d have more wealth. But he’s a walking ego throwing money around that he inherited and probably doesn’t understand “no”. Like a man child , I would say he has zero capacity for any meaningful self reflection and as such is incapable of self correction as he only rates what he does by popularity.

But what he’s done is created himself into a brand which any narcissist with a couple of billion could do if they really wanted. Oxford analytics has shown how anybody with money can now manipulate entire countries with the right marketing. Trump is an opportunist salesmen who was in the right place at the right time. Trump Ended up a as republican nomination after an 8 year democrat stint which nearly always guarantees a win in itself and he was up agaisnt arguably the least popular presidential candidate ever in Hilary Clinton.

The response to him has been hyperbolic at times and I don’t believe the democrats have learned anything either to be fair. But I don’t get the impression Trump is particularly intelligent at all, quite average to maybe below average but he’s smart at conning people into following or investing in him. I think it’s his lack of intelligence that most people can identify with him on some level. I remember a friend who loves American politics saying part of the reason John Kerry didn’t win was because he was too intelligent and Americans couldn’t identify or fully understand what he was saying whereas the more simple Bush Jr was somebody they could interpret and relate to. Same with Trump, his message is simple and he knows his target audience.

For all those reasons I bolded, I think he has played the game well and won.
    I don't believe it is simply because of money he has an innate intelligence for knowing his audience, and seeming like he is talking to his followers not 'at' them.

Hillary Clinton tried to copy him by trying to paint herself as the common man's President by starting to mention her great-grandfather a miner. Or she mentioned an ancestor cobbler as well which did not seem to work.
    It felt flat because the message did not seem authentic, and it seemed forced, unnatural.
    That has nothing to do with money it is knowing how to debate naturally.
    As a trained lawyer Clinton seemed robotic and calculated.
    Meanwhile she made Trump appear even more natural and relaxed.

As I said I admire the way Trump played the game, not bad for a multi-millionaire fella who was supposed to be just a joke.
    If it was that easy to become President of America every person with money would try it, and win.

Advertisement