Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hoey is history, stepping down cos she'd have been deselected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hoey is history, stepping down cos she'd have been deselected anyway.
    Yeah, I know. I just brought her up as being in a remain constituency. Unless Labour select a strong remain candidate for that seat, it could go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

threeball wrote: »
    The UK got their victory in these talks. Despite dealing with some very unscrupulous people the EU/Ireland caved. The very idea of the form of consent being a vote by two of the most hard line and unreliable parties in politics somehow not conspiring to use this process as petty points scoring is remote to say the least. Any invester would be mental to put money in to NI with such an arrangement.

We in the south now have to watch the unending soap opera of a mini brexit in the north forever more whilst the threat of a hard border returning will ensure the republican and unionist terrorist types have a reason to stick around forever. They were so desperate for a deal they came up with one of the sh1ttiest imaginable.

It is difficult to comprehend how any sentient being could look at what has occurred and be so wrong in their interpretation. Or are you trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Last time I checked, I thought Hoey's seat in Vauxhall was one that voted remain.

Sorry posted the above in a rush.

Hoey has held that seat easily since for nearly 30 years.

She finished 20 000 votes clear of the Lib Dems in 2017. I don't like her, but no way does she lose that seat when the election arrives.

Tories think they can compete for Labour seats in the North. "Bolsover over Guildford", is a slogan I've seen, meaning they'll abandon a lot of their seats down south and target ones they believe they can win. Sounds risky to me but that's what they believe. Labour will still fight like dogs to keep their old base, wouldn't write them off completely.

• Advertisement

RickBlaine wrote: »
    If we get to a situation where the UK requests an extension, I still cannot see the EU refusing it. If they do, they will be seen to have been a cause of a no-deal crash out.

So having bent over backwards for three years and finally saying enough is enough, you think the EU is to blame. Really?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. I just brought her up as being in a remain constituency. Unless Labour select a strong remain candidate for that seat, it could go elsewhere.

No worries, I doubt it's on any remain alliance target list all the same. It's one of safest lab seats in the UK, might have reduced vote but still little danger id think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Varta wrote: »
    So having bent over backwards for three years and finally saying enough is enough, you think the EU is to blame. Really?

The EU don't want to be responsible for letting the UK crash out which is why they've agreed to the extensions. When Brexit fails, it needs to be the UK's own fault, not the EU's.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Paddypower odds on deal passing is 5/6. Also 5/6 on not passing

You can get 5/2 for a deal on Coral.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

I don't think this is allowed.
    All acts must have a status quo option so you vote Yes or No where No implies nothing changes.
    You can't have a Change 1 v Change 2 vote in the HoC.

That makes a lot more sense. I assume the phrasing Boris is using is deliberately misleading then. Still, I can't wait for this vote!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: in case it arises agin - this thread is not for discussing SF's abstentionist policy!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

This is nonsense and not a chance of this happening. Labour will hold the bulk of their seats in 'their areas' like the North East or Welsh ex-mining towns. Voting for Brexit against the wishes of Labour was one thing, but these constituencies are generations away from actually voting Tory.
    And on the other side of the Pennines the leave voting suburb constituencies of Liverpool are just not going to ever vote for Boris.

As I said, these constituencies voted to leave, some with fairly significant Leave majorities. A vote for Labour would mean the whole sh*tshow is continued on again. They will veer towards Conservatives and Brexit party for one election only and that's all these parties need. Corbyn's wishy-washy approach is not going down well with anyone except maybe his Momentum base who represent a miniscule part of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Sorry posted the above in a rush.

Hoey has held that seat easily since for nearly 30 years.

She finished 20 000 votes clear of the Lib Dems in 2017. I don't like her, but no way does she lose that seat when the election arrives.
    I thought she said she wasn't running again?
    Or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So rugby World Cup games Saturday morning along with the brexit vote ? Amazing day of sport on Saturday and one for the ages.

The parliamentary arithmetic are tighter than a ducks arse from what I can see, and it was a quick glance at the wiki page of the commons make up and a very quick guesstimate as how many will and won't vote.

The EU don't want to be responsible for letting the UK crash out which is why they've agreed to the extensions. When Brexit fails, it needs to be the UK's own fault, not the EU's.

Change just one word 'letting' for 'causing' and everything changes. It's different now. The EU compromised and went back into negotiations on the WA once more. There is no reason to believe that they will do that again. And that would be the only purpose for an extension, because if the UK don't want this deal they can always revoke. It's up to them. For this reason it is very plausible that the EU have decide enough is enough.

That is nonsense.

There is no election due until 2022 under the FTPA and under normal circumstances if the Gov had a working majority. The Tories are disintegrating midterm and now, without the FTPA, they would call a GE, but cannot because they do not have the votes.

That is how the HoC works. The Gov needs to have a majority - but they currently do not, so they can be pushed around by the opposition.

As I said, an extension until January without an election and with the same HoC make up would be farcical. It would achieve nothing. The DUP have been against everything since December 2017. Its guaranteed they will not change their mind in 3 months. And its unlikely another deal will be negotiated in 3 months that everyone can agree to. So without an election, an extension is pointless.

As I said, these constituencies voted to leave, some with fairly significant Leave majorities. A vote for Labour would mean the whole sh*tshow is continued on again. They will veer towards Conservatives and Brexit party for one election only and that's all these parties need. Corbyn's wishy-washy approach is not going down well with anyone except maybe his Momentum base who represent a miniscule part of the electorate.

One other factor is that a lot of the leave vote in 2016 was from people who never usually voted in elections, especially in more working class areas, so you're working off assumption they'll be mobilised this time too. A lot of them possibly, but you couldn't say it with any degree of certainty. Lot could depend on the campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gmisk wrote: »
    Or did I imagine that?
    No, you're correct. She was going to be deselected anyway. Some talk that she's off to the BP, but unlikely in Vauxhall which was the strongest remain constituency in England.

gmisk wrote: »
    Or did I imagine that?

Nope you are correct.

I forgot all about that.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

As I said, an extension until January without an election and with the same HoC make up would be farcical. It would achieve nothing. The DUP have been against everything since December 2017. Its guaranteed they will not change their mind in 3 months. And its unlikely another deal will be negotiated in 3 months that everyone can agree to. So without an election, an extension is pointless.

Surely it would be inconceivable that labour and the lib Dems would not force an election during extension period. Boris has a minority government so extension would guarantee a general election in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DUP have been thrown under the bus basically?
    And have no veto?
    Lovely stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That maybe so, but the farce is not the lack of an election, it is the lack of a majority for anything. They have voted against everything and voted for nothing. It is not up to us or the EU to change anything just because they do not like it.

Other than getting a bit of sense, there is no real escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

Varta wrote: »

No I don't think that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am very curious to see how the dup fair in the next election, I will have lost all faith in NI if they achieve a majority. They basically ignored all business and farming interests and the popular vote in their country.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You can get 5/2 for a deal on Coral.

Powers have it 5/6 v 5/6 as in the note of that bet....
    HOUSE OF COMMONS TO VOTE THROUGH WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT IN 2019

So its not Saturdays vote as obviously their may be another vote before 2020.

On Betfair its 2/5 that the UK will not leave the EU by 31/10 which makes sense as its very much odds against they lose Saturday and require another extension.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.157669732

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am very curious to see how the dup fair in the next election, I will have lost all faith in NI if they achieve a majority. They basically ignored all business and farming interests and the popular vote in their country.

Think it might take a few election cycles. I'd expect a bit of manning the barricades first.

One other factor is that a lot of the leave vote in 2016 was from people who never usually voted in elections, especially in more working class areas, so you're working off assumption they'll be mobilised this time too. A lot of them possibly, but you couldn't say it with any degree of certainty. Lot could depend on the campaigning.

Its not just from the Tories and Brexit party though that Labour need to be worried.

Corbyn has led on neither Leave or Remain. The Tories have largely been clear on leaving and the Lib Dems have been clear on remaining, and will fight the election on those platforms.

Many Labour leavers will vote Conservative or Brexit Party. And many remainers will vote Lib Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

They lost seats last time around, I would expect to see that trend continue after their behaviour over Brexit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Its not just from the Tories and Brexit party though that Labour need to be worried.

Corbyn has led on neither Leave or Remain. The Tories have largely been clear on leaving and the Lib Dems have been clear on remaining, and will fight the election on those platforms.

Many Labour leavers will vote Conservative or Brexit Party. And many remainers will vote Lib Dems.

I doubt that. I never can understand a true Labour voter voting anything else.

The election will be fought by Labour on the Tory austerity, the sell off of the NHS, and the Nasty Party and what they have done to you, and will do to you.

Brexit will have happened or not, but Labour need to get the Tories OUT. [Least that is the line Corbyn will use].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I must admit I'm finding it hard to follow this development. It kind of seems like it's not really the best outcome for us? That DUP still have a veto on any arrangement made for NI.

Still seems we are going to live in Brexit hangover land forever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement