Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Just finished Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah and enjoyed it a good follow up to his sci fi classic Dune and one that does not follow the usual type of script when it comes to the outcome which I thought was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

The Hoarder by Jess Kidd

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Loved A Visit from the Goon Squad a few years ago but this looks like a much more traditional type of novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Enigma by Hugh-Sebag Montefiore the Enigma code breaking at Bletchley park etc. ...Awful read , far too much technical details for me , would be ideal for budding cryptographors , feels more like an academic work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Slowly getting through Night Boat To Tangier.
    Very enjoyable so far..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Finished "Saltwater - the film script" by Conor McPherson. Thumbs up, as usual. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Homegrown Hero - Khurrum Rahman. The first book was enjoyable (East of Hounslow) so looking forward to getting stuck into this one, only a few chapters in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

As I am looking forward to watching the new movie, I have just picked up: "Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy. The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters" by Anne Boyd Rioux

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier & thought it excellent.

Now reading The Herbalist by Niamh Boyce

Shatter by Michael Robotham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just read two great books the sandman by Lars Kepler and everything here is beautiful by mira t lee

The Fear by C.L Taylor

Days Without End, Sebastian Barry

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

55 - James Delargy. Just started it, the premise sounds good and it was recommended elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Brilliant book, with a sequel on the way apparently...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I read that a few weeks ago and found it very hard going.

Started The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I read that a few weeks ago and found it very hard going.

I also found Days Without End less engaging than any other Sebastian Barry book I’ve read. That said, I still enjoyed it but would prefer The Secret Scripture or A Long Long Way. I could read them again but once was enough for Days Without End.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Just finished reading Notes From Walnut Tree Farm by Roger Deakin. Probably one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I’m re-reading Evening Class by Maeve Binchy.
    I first read it in 2006... sometimes “a comfort blanket read” is needed.

• Advertisement

Black Diamonds - The Rise and Fall of an English Dynasty by Catherine Bailey

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

I’m almost halfway through and I’m not loving it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I agree, I read it last year and I found it a big let-down. The premises were good, the characters interesting, but the story just wasn't there. I wanted to love it, but just couldn't.

Two Brothers by Ben Elton

Callan57 wrote: »
    Two Brothers by Ben Elton

Haven't read any of his in years but they were usually an easy and entertaining read.

How is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just finished Don't Touch My Hair by Emma Dabiri. Next up Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Jo Nesbo's crime thriller Nemesis which I enjoyed very much.

Haven't read any of his in years but they were usually an easy and entertaining read.

How is it?

Darker than others of his I've read. Set in Berlin through the 1930s and the rise of Nazism. I'm about 50% into it, there are the occasional moments of dark humour you expect from Elton but on the whole dark, sad and cruel but I'm well gripped by it.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I agree, I read it last year and I found it a big let-down. The premises were good, the characters interesting, but the story just wasn't there. I wanted to love it, but just couldn't.

I'm two-thirds of the way through and boy I'm really struggling with this book. I was taken in by the glowing reviews and I'm feeling seriously underwhelmed now. I will stick with it to the end but I'm looking forward to starting a new book.

Have any of you read "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman or "Sweet Sorrow" by David Nicholls? I have both books on my "to be read" pile for ages.

Advertisement