Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Those people are probably the ones who believe it has symbolism,to others it's just an interruption in the news. i don't really take much noice because I would rarely have RTE on but I do think that it's pushing one side of religion onto everybody which is not the function of the national broadcaster.

A minute a day to comfort senior citizens who worked and made this country isnt that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A minute a day to comfort senior citizens who worked and made this country isnt that bad.

But just the Catholic senior citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

But just the Catholic senior citizens.

Does it matter? Really? You don't have to say a prayer to any God. Use it to pause and reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Does it matter? Really? You don't have to say a prayer to any God. Use it to pause and reflect.

You'd be cool if we replaced it with a Muslim call to prayer, then?

You'd be cool if we replaced it with a Muslim call to prayer, then?

Why would we do that? Is there a history of that? Do you not see any difference between a bell ringing for 1 minute and man calling loudly via a loudspeaker about Allah for five minutes and five times a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Enforced mindfulness then?

People don't have a problem with the minute in itself. It's the fact that it's a catholic minute on the taxpayer-funded state broadcaster. It's a relic of the 1970s and in essence it's a big two fingers to anyone of any other (or no other) faith. A reminder that they're less important than catholicism.

If you want a "pause and reflect" minute, surely rotating it through various different types of meditation seems more appropriate? One week you do Catholicism, the next you do Islam, the next Judaism, then onto a minute of Yoga, Buddhism, Sikhism.

The possibilities are endless.

It's very telling that people will defend it as "a minute of reflection" and not a catholic symbol, but when you suggest removing the symbolism, suddenly it needs to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

seamus wrote: »

People don't have a problem with the minute in itself. It's the fact that it's a catholic minute on the taxpayer-funded state broadcaster. It's a relic of the 1970s and in essence it's a big two fingers to anyone of any other (or no other) faith. A reminder that they're less important than catholicism.

If you want a "pause and reflect" minute, surely rotating it through various different types of meditation seems more appropriate? One week you do Catholicism, the next you do Islam, the next Judaism, then onto a minute of Yoga, Buddhism, Sikhism.

It's very telling that people will defend it as "a minute of reflection" and not a catholic symbol, but when you suggest removing the symbolism, suddenly it needs to be left alone.

I'd struggle to name a country where all religions are given equal prominence, most here are Catholic, hence why midnight mass gets shown christmas eve instead of a service from the clonskeagh mosque

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If one does not know the mysteries of this world, one will not fathom the mind of God. Childhood cancer brings on death in this life but even if one lives a thousand years, this life is still very very short in comparison to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's what Pat Kenny called the Angelus

seamus wrote: »

In fact RTE has been broadcasting the Angelus since 1950. I've no problem with it being designated a contemplative minute twice a day without any religious connotations. I don't watch it but anytime I did, I didn't see any religious symbolism in it. If Catholics continue to see it as a call to prayer then so what if it isn't? Pause and reflect isn't a bad thing for people to do. If people are getting their knickers in a twist because a bell rings for 1 minute twice a day, then they have little to worry them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Christianity civilised the world? Christianity was responsible for the most barbarous acts of colonisation the world has ever seen. The Inquisition, which incidentally still exists today,was the perpetrator of mass murder both in Europe and Latin America. Christian colonisation was responsible for the near extinction of native people in all regions of the world it touche. The Nazis were at least nominally, Christian, the Russian Pogroms were carried out by Christians.
    There are people of all faiths and none, all over the world who are every bit as civilised as Christians and usually only become less so when their country, tradition and very lives, are threatened by the "civilised" and overwhelmingly Christian, West

Only a poor student of history would apportion blame to Christianity for these things. It was actually diseases that wiped out the native peoples and while the explorers of the world were Christians, they mostly explored for economic reasons. More gold than god. Now perhaps you believe that man should have remained practicing the hunter gatherer way of life and remained in balance with nature and perhaps that is exactly what Adam and Eve renounced. But that is another story.

However to suggest that the great mass murdering ideologies of the 20th century namely Fascism and Communism were in any way Christian is just plain wrong. If anything they were perversely anti Christian and anti Jewish and demanded subservience to a technocratic and controlling state and not to a divine God.

It was the western peoples of the US and Britain that were devoutly Christian albeit secular. Both President Roosevelt and General Eisenhower wrote famous prayers during world war 2 and attended mass daily. Stalin by contrast actually launched a 5 year atheist plan to eliminate the church in Russia (it failed and drive it underground) and Hitler was a well known atheist. What’s more the inner circle of nazism like Goebbels, Goring and Himmler hated Christianity in particular and are widely quoted as saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

pearcider wrote: »
    However to suggest that the great mass murdering ideologies of the 20th century namely Fascism and Communism were in any way Christian is just plain wrong.

They were essentially state religions. They still had a godhead but it was very much terrestrial in nature. Dogma, political or religious, is the issue there. Not the freedoms and skepticism and open inquiry generally espoused by actual atheists and humanists.
    Hitler was a well known atheist.

Not in the autobiography I read he wasn't anyway, where he espoused the idea that many of his positions and actions were divinely mandated.

Maybe you know different atheists to me, but I have not yet met one who would openly write the line "I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator." or "I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time." or hopes that "people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the Creator."

Perhaps atheistic standards differed back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

not sure if i do , but i say a few prayers [my own that i made up] for my family +friends to be safe and well, and for those who have passed.

They were essentially state religions. They still had a godhead but it was very much terrestrial in nature. Dogma, political or religious, is the issue there. Not the freedoms and skepticism and open inquiry generally espoused by actual atheists and humanists.

Not in the autobiography I read he wasn't anyway, where he espoused the idea that many of his positions and actions were divinely mandated.

Maybe you know different atheists to me, but I have not yet met one who would openly write the line "I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator." or "I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time." or hopes that "people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the Creator."

Perhaps atheistic standards differed back then?

They were not religious in any sense. They were technocracies and atheist in their very fiber seeing people as numbers and machines with no souls this enabling their extermination in pursuit of the state. In fact both ideologies can be traced to their origins in the bleak 19th century philosophy of Germany and such atheist thinkers like Hegel and most infamously Marx and Lenin.

As for Hitler to describe him as Christian in the sense that Roosevelt was is just false. He was an atheist and against the church in everything he did. Christianity has given us more or less constant progress in human affairs since Jesus died. Atheism was the creed of the 20th century and it gave us murder on an unimaginable scale. And of course it would since it considers humans to be mere animals in an uncaring and entirely mechanical universe. A universe with no purpose.

Of course anyone who has watched the sun rise alone and listened to the chorus of the birds or indeed held a new born child brought screaming into the world knows in their heart that this is false.

They were not religious in any sense. They were technocracies and atheist in their very fiber seeing people as numbers and machines with no souls

That is not atheism you are describing however. Seeing people as numbers? Nothing to do with atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief that there is a god. Thats it. The rest of the strawman is coming from you and you alone.

Again however, state dogma, state religions.... these have nothing to do with atheism. At all. It was every bit a religion, replete with claims of miracles and their own versions of the inquisition, and a godhead. A terrestrial based religion, but a religion none the less.
    As for Hitler to describe him as Christian

I didn't. He did. What I did say, digging your straw out of the way again.... was that his proclamations of being divinely mandated are not the kind of thing I have ever heard any ATHEIST say.
    He was an atheist and against the church in everything he did.

Again, the text above in his own words from his own book has MULTIPLE proclamations of his having a belief in a god. I have no idea what definition of the word "atheist" you are using, but its markedly different from any I have heard before. No atheist I am aware of goes around saying they believe in a creator, or wish to fulfil gods will.
    Christianity has given us more or less constant progress in human affairs since Jesus died.

Individuals who happened to be Christian often did certainly. So did many individuals who were atheist as it happens. But claims that Christianity in and of itself is doing this.... not so well substantiated outside your mere assertions to the fact
    Atheism was the creed of the 20th century and it gave us murder on an unimaginable scale.

No. It did not. Anywhere. You are making stuff up basically.
    And of course it would since it considers humans to be mere animals in an uncaring and entirely mechanical universe. A universe with no purpose.

We are animals. The word "mere" is yours though. It has never come from any atheist I have sat with. Nothing about acknowledging we are animals however suggests we need to go to war, or exterminate people of other religions. The theists do that stuff.
    Of course anyone who has watched the sun rise alone and listened to the chorus of the birds or indeed held a new born child brought screaming into the world knows in their heart that this is false.

I do all of those things, and feel all the requisite awe and love and spirituality it entails. I just do not need to imagine there is a god to validate or replicate or appreciate those emotions. If you do, so be it. But your personal inability to separate the numinous from the divine, is not evidence there is a god or the universe is anything more than it appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nope. That insane belief that praying will somehow change things sounds mad.

I wonder how may prayers were said in the gas chambers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I'm one of those senior citizens, all it is to me is noise.

That is not atheism you are describing...

Again however, state dogma, state religions.... these have nothing to do with atheism. At all. It was every bit a religion, replete with claims of miracles and their own versions of the inquisition, and a godhead. A terrestrial based religion, but a religion none the less

This is stretching credulity. All of these murderous ideologies arose from the rejection of God and Christianity among the intellectual class in Europe. God is dead as they neatly put it. One followed from the other. There weren’t really any atheists in the West until they emerged from the shadows during the French Revolution. So they were fallen Christians basically and certainly looking at their personal lives, they were no saints either.
    We are animals. The word "mere" is yours though. It has never come from any atheist I have sat with. Nothing about acknowledging we are animals however suggests we need to go to war, or exterminate people of other religions. The theists do that stuff.

People who are religious and truly fear an accounting for their life’s decisions would never exterminate other people. You seem to be confusing practicing Christians with people who claim they are but are clearly not. By their fruit you shall know them.

I do all of those things, and feel all the requisite awe and love and spirituality it entails. I just do not need to imagine there is a god to validate or replicate or appreciate those emotions. If you do, so be it. But your personal inability to separate the numinous from the divine, is not evidence there is a god or the universe is anything more than it appears to be.

The evidence is the creation itself. To me both the existence of life and of Homo sapiens are clearly miracles. You may believe in a universe that has no meaning. You may believe in a universe with no purpose and a life lived free of any accountability to your actions. That’s fair enough and surely nothing I can say or indeed anything save a spiritual awakening can convince you otherwise. But I would say again, look at the world we live in and try and say that the difference between good and evil is an arbitrary construct that exists only in our minds. Jesus said Be wary as serpents for the devil is the ruler of the world. At the end of the day, faith is a personal journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

People who believe that the universe, including human consciousness and our objective individual perspectives of reality are just the results of random particles colliding over billions of years are the most gullible fools of all. It’s amazing how the modern ‘atheist’ will swallow anything except the truth.

A fool says in his heart ’there is no God’.

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
    and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
    Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 18-31

Christ is Risen!

This is stretching credulity. All of these murderous ideologies arose from the rejection of God and Christianity among the intellectual class in Europe. God is dead as they neatly put it. One followed from the other. There weren’t really any atheists in the West until they emerged from the shadows during the French Revolution. So they were fallen Christians basically and certainly looking at their personal lives, they were no saints either.

People who are religious and truly fear an accounting for their life’s decisions would never exterminate other people. You seem to be confusing practicing Christians with people who claim they are but are clearly not. By their fruit you shall know them.

The evidence is the creation itself. To me both the existence of life and of Homo sapiens are clearly miracles. You may believe in a universe that has no meaning. You may believe in a universe with no purpose and a life lived free of any accountability to your actions. That’s fair enough and surely nothing I can say or indeed anything save a spiritual awakening can convince you otherwise. But I would say again, look at the world we live in and try and say that the difference between good and evil is an arbitrary construct that exists only in our minds. Jesus said Be wary as serpents for the devil is the ruler of the world. At the end of the day, faith is a personal journey.

How do I decide between God and Allah?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Nope. That insane belief that praying will somehow change things sounds mad.

I wonder how may prayers were said in the gas chambers?

There is an old saying: There are no atheists in foxholes.

How do I decide between God and Allah?

Allah is God in Arabic ‘professor’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Citations and evidence needed. Got any?

http://josephus.org/testimonium.htm

Allah is God in Arabic ‘professor’.

Oh right. Thanks. So God and Allah are interchangeable?

This is stretching credulity. All of these murderous ideologies arose from the rejection of God and Christianity among the intellectual class in Europe.

So nice of you to start your paragraph with such an accurate description of the content it contained. Your nonsense does indeed stretch credulity. These were STATE dogmas, nothing to do with atheism. Aside from asserting a link, or foundation, in atheism..... you have not offered anything BUT that assertion. You have shown no causal link, no causal chain. The best you can do is invent the claim that one bad person was an atheist despite him in sentence after sentence, and speech after speech, claiming a belief not only in god, but in his own actions being divinely mandated by that god.

You are flinging out assertion after assertions, but not backing a single one up. I give you quotes, direct quotes, proving an assertion wrong and you merely repeat the assertion again. Again with no citation or substantiation. Just repeated by fiat as it was the first time. That is quite telling.

It is YOU asserting they arose from a rejection of god. By all means back up that assertion with something if you can. But merely saying it does not make it true. By all means tell me how the sentence "I do not think there is a god" leads to an idea like "Therefore I must go murder many people" specifically "people of that particular religion there". Let alone as directly as you specifically, blatantly, claim.
    People who are religious and truly fear an accounting for their life’s decisions would never exterminate other people.

They would if they believed themselves to be doing gods work. Which the THEIST Hitler did for example. Here are his direct words quoted directly from the man himself for example: "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord's work."

You presume too much to declare what theists would, or would not do. Especially given the book they claim to worship has their own god committing genocides on a whim too. Or mandating men to do it in his name. You are taking YOUR brand of theism, seeing what it does and does not lead YOU to do.... and then simply projecting that on to every other theist as not just a standard of behaviour, but a standard of their very definition. Which is beyond hubris.
    You seem to be confusing practicing Christians with people who claim they are but are clearly not. By their fruit you shall know them.

Oh how convenient for you. When a theist does not behave like YOU want them to, or does not fit YOUR concept of Christianity, you merely wash your hands of them and pretend they are not really Christian at all. Even when they themselves profess a belief in a god, you still call them atheist.

They claim again and again they think there is a god, and you still call them atheist because I guess psychic you knows their mind better than they know their own huh? Where did you get this omniscient wisdom and knowledge I wonder. Perhaps by simply making it up as you go along. Seemingly.
    The evidence is the creation itself.

That is circular nonsense from you alas. Declaring the question to be evidence of the answer. What is the evidence a god exists and created the universe? The universe itself? You are re-framing the question AS the evidence for the answer. Circular. Abject. Baseless. Illogical. Nonsense from you. That is as abject nonsense as walking into a court of law and when asked what evidence there is that the defendant is the murderer..... you say that a murder occurred.

Offering the thing being queried as evidence for the thing being queried. You can not get more circular than that.
    To me both the existence of life and of Homo sapiens are clearly miracles.

The most important words in that sentence being "To me". Because that is essentially what you are offering here. The evidence of your conclusions is.... that you hold those conclusions. Nice. As I said above: circular nonsense from you.
    You may believe in a universe that has no meaning.

Oh may I? Thank you for your completely unsolicited permissions. However my opinion is that whether the universe has, or does not have, meaning we currently have absolutely no evidence that it does. Does that mean it does not? No. It just means we have absolutely no reason to think it does. Just like we have absolutely no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to suggest that a god exists and created this universe. Least of all on this thread. That does not mean there is no god. It just means there is no basis whatsoever to think there is one. See the difference yet? Between what I believe and what I think, and what you presume to tell me I may?

But I wonder what interests you more. Listing the things I "may" believe, or actually stopping to ask me what I actually do believe on any given subject like god, meaning, accountability for my actions, or purpose.
    But I would say again, look at the world we live in and try and say that the difference between good and evil is an arbitrary construct that exists only in our minds.

I see no where else for it to exist. If mankind were to die tomorrow there is no where else it appears to exist. It does not appear to be in the rocks. In the rivers. In the stars. The only place we currently have ANY evidence that meaning exists, purpose exists, morality exists, right and wrong and good and evil exist.... is in the human mind. I have no basis whatsoever to presume anything other than the idea of good and evil would die with us.

A fool says in his heart ’there is no God’.

Isn't that nice though? When it becomes apparent that you have no arguments, no evidence, no data, and no reasoning to offer that a particular claim is true..... the remaining recourse is simply to insult those who do not swallow it anyway.

That says more about the people making the unsubstantiated claims, and their character and worth, than it does about the people who do not buy the bull.
    For it is written

So? Many things are written. That does not make them true does it? There are books about alien abductions. Do you believe those "for it is written"? Or should we practice a modicum of scepticism about believing things solely because someone put them into text?

I will take "For it is substantiated through evidence and reason" before "for it is written" any day. YMMV.

So "no" is your answer then? Because that link..... the problems that most people know with Josephus aside and the historical authenticity of that testimony..... is not evidence or citations for what I asked.

You can evidence all you want that a MAN was crucified at some point. I have no issue with that. Your specific claim that a GOD was however.... is what I want a citation for and you offered none.

By all means evidence that some guy was killed. But if you want to claim that guy was anything more than entirely and wholly human like the rest of us..... then that is not the evidence you have offered.

Isn't that nice though? When it becomes apparent that you have no arguments, no evidence, no data, and no reasoning to offer that a particular claim is true..... the remaining recourse is simply to insult those who do not swallow it anyway.

That says more about the people making the unsubstantiated claims, and their character and worth, than it does about the people who do not buy the bull.

So? Many things are written. That does not make them true does it? There are books about alien abductions. Do you believe those "for it is written"? Or should we practice a modicum of scepticism about believing things solely because someone put them into text?

I will take "For it is substantiated through evidence and reason" before "for it is written" any day. YMMV.

I’m quoting from the Bible. When it says it is written, it’s usually referring back to an earlier prophesy. I’m surprised you take umbrage with this element, which if you were in any way educated on what you are so quick to rubbish, you would be aware of this historically common literary device.

Also, when I say ‘a fool says in his heart there is no God’ I’m quoting King David. He was a prophet and the second King of Israel, chosen by God.

So nice of you to start your paragraph with such an accurate description of the content it contained. Your nonsense does indeed stretch credulity. These were STATE dogmas, nothing to do with atheism. Aside from asserting a link, or foundation, in atheism..... you have not offered anything BUT that assertion. You have shown no causal link, no causal chain. The best you can do is invent the claim that one bad person was an atheist despite him in sentence after sentence, and speech after speech, claiming a belief not only in god, but in his own actions being divinely mandated by that god.

The links you seek are in 19th and 20th century history. Stalin follows from Lenin and Lenin follows from Marx. Marx was a bum and an egomaniac. His father was irreligious taking his philosophy from the murderous atheists of the French Revolution. Just like the liberals of today he lived an immoral life. Hitler was irreligious just like the inner circle of Nazis. These are facts not in dispute. What they say is irrelevant. You judge a man on his actions. By his fruit you will know him.
    Perhaps you think because Osama bin Laden said he was performing Gods word, that in fact he was.

He clearly wasn’t.
    You are flinging out assertion after assertions, but not backing a single one up. I give you quotes, direct quotes, proving an assertion wrong and you merely repeat the assertion again. Again with no citation or substantiation. Just repeated by fiat as it was the first time. That is quite telling.

The only thing that is telling is your aggression and arrogance.
    They would if they believed themselves to be doing gods work. Which the THEIST Hitler did for example. Here are his direct words quoted directly from the man himself for example: "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord's work."

You presume too much to declare what theists would, or would not do. Especially given the book they claim to worship has their own god committing genocides on a whim too. Or mandating men to do it in his name. You are taking YOUR brand of theism, seeing what it does and does not lead YOU to do.... and then simply projecting that on to every other theist as not just a standard of behaviour, but a standard of their very definition. Which is beyond hubris.

Actions speak louder than words. Hitler was a master at lying and deceiving just like Satan. Perhaps his most famous quote is “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

It seems you have fallen for his lies. Hook line and sinker.

Oh how convenient for you. When a theist does not behave like YOU want them to, or does not fit YOUR concept of Christianity, you merely wash your hands of them

I won’t wash my hands of a true Christian but Hitler was a liar and a deceiver. He never attended mass but actually bastardized the sacred mass in his Nazi ceremonies. He was very proud of his occult rituals designed by his inner circle chief among them Goebbels. Goebbels himself was raised Catholic but fell away from it after studying the communists Marx and Engels and other socialists. There is compelling evidence that Himmler was a satanist he certainly took perverse pleasure in practicing the occult and was involved in it from an early age. This is all well documented. Himmler was the chief architect of the Holocaust and he was a Theist alright. He worshipped Satan. In fact many of the Nazi symbols such as the sig rune and the black sun are synonymous with Satan.

Hitler’s loathing of the Church is well documented. During negotiations preceding the Concordat of 1933 between the Holy See and Germany, he arrested 92 priests and closed down nine Catholic publications. He knew the Church’s teachings stood in implacable opposition to the Nazi ideology.

That is circular nonsense from you alas. Declaring the question to be evidence of the answer. What is the evidence a god exists and created the universe? The universe itself? You are re-framing the question AS the evidence for the answer. Circular. Abject. Baseless. Illogical. Nonsense from you. That is as abject nonsense as walking into a court of law and when asked what evidence there is that the defendant is the murderer..... you say that a murder occurred.

Offering the thing being queried as evidence for the thing being queried. You can not get more circular than that.

You can choose to believe the universe invented itself and the existence of man is a mere cosmological accident. Or one can choose to believe that man and indeed each of us is here for a purpose. Make your choice.
    Oh may I? Thank you for your completely unsolicited permissions. However my opinion is that whether the universe has, or does not have, meaning we currently have absolutely no evidence that it does. Does that mean it does not? No. It just means we have absolutely no reason to think it does. Just like we have absolutely no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to suggest that a god exists and created this universe. Least of all on this thread. That does not mean there is no god. It just means there is no basis whatsoever to think there is one. See the difference yet? Between what I believe and what I think, and what you presume to tell me I may?

You talk loftily about data and reasoning and the scientific method. None of which would have actually existed without Christians who kept western civilization alive after the fall of the Roman Empire. Perhaps you don’t realize that the foundation on which you stand was built by devout Christians like Isaac Newton and Carl Gauss in an unbroken line stretching all the way back to Saint Columba. But that means nothing to you.

In fact, Newton himself predicted that the end of the world would occur in 2060 and his study is quite compelling for those who would seek it out. This of course dovetails nicely with the re formation of Israel 70 years ago, after Gods chosen people had spent two millennia in the wilderness being persecuted. Even now, those with wisdom can see the chess pieces moving into position in the Middle East. But there are none so blind as those who will not see.

You remind me of a passage from the 3rd chapter of the 2nd epistle to Timothy about the end of days where he states men would be;

“Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.“

I see no where else for it to exist. If mankind were to die tomorrow there is no where else it appears to exist. It does not appear to be in the rocks. In the rivers. In the stars. The only place we currently have ANY evidence that meaning exists, purpose exists, morality exists, right and wrong and good and evil exist.... is in the human mind. I have no basis whatsoever to presume anything other than the idea of good and evil would die with us.

So you hold up the scientific method as the basis for your arguments but don’t appear to recognize that this method was conjured into existence by human minds...and yet what invented the human mind if not God? “God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”

The only place we have evidence of anything existing is in the human mind. Perhaps you need to think on what you have written again and study the mind body problem eloquently elucidated by the great philosopher René Descartes. It may not surprise you at this stage to hear that Descartes was a devout Catholic and actually had divine visions. He practiced his Catholicism even in protestant Sweden during the 30 years war so that says it all.

His famous quote “I think therefore I am” is most assuredly divinely inspired.

But my all time favorite quote from the Bible is from the book which describes the end of all mankind. For although the wage of sin is death, Jesus offers us freely the gift of eternal life.

Revelation 21:6, "He said to me: 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life."

• Advertisement

The links you seek are in 19th and 20th century history. Stalin follows from Lenin and Lenin follows from Marx. Marx was a bum and an egomaniac.

Name dropping is not establishing the link I asked for. You are naming people here, nothing to do with atheism. You are contriving wilfully to make a correlation causation error by merely showing that some bad people, who may have happened to be atheist (you have proved yourself unclear on who is or is not atheist, or what it even means to be one), and acting like atheism was therefore to blame. Many such people also happened to have beards. That does not mean beards were to blame either.

To establish a causal chain from atheism to mass murder, you have to show that some tenet or attribute of atheism led directly to those actions and events. This you have failed, rather spectacularly at this point, to do in any way.
    Hitler was irreligious just like the inner circle of Nazis.

Reality really is not your friend here, which is why you keep repeating assertions about the man without once citing anything from him. EVERYTHING I have cited from him rubbishes your claims however. And only one of us.... clue:me..... is offering citations, quotes and evidence here which is telling.

The man himself claimed a belief in a god. The man himself claimed he was doing that gods work. The man himself said his actions were the will of god and divinely mandated. That you so desperately want to attribute words like "atheist" and "irreligious" to him without a shred of citation or evidence speaks absolute volumes about your desperation to polish the turd of theism by merely washing your hands of anyone inconvenient to that agenda.

What I have not done however, in contrast to how desperate you have been, is outright blame his actions ON his theism. I do not say that because he was a theist, his actions were because of his theism. Yet your desperation has you doing just that.... blaming atheism for things solely because you can cherry pick and name drop a few people who happened to ALSO be atheist.
    These are facts not in dispute. What they say is irrelevant. You judge a man on his actions. By his fruit you will know him. Perhaps you think because Osama bin Laden said he was performing Gods word, that in fact he was.

What I believe is that he was a theist and saw himself as a theist because he professed a religion and a belief in a god. What I do not believe was that he was an atheist. He had and professed a belief in a god, and a belief he was doing gods will. If a person says they believe in a god, multiple times, in multiple sources..... then I will take them at their word and not consider them to be an atheist merely because it suits me to do so. Just like if someone says over and over again they have no belief at all in a god, I would not call them a theist merely because it fuels my agenda.
    The only thing that is telling is your aggression and arrogance.

Insults demean only the source, never the target. Please raise your game here and discuss the topic, and drop the personal attacks.
    He never attended mass

That is not a requirement to be a theist. Nor would attending mass make an atheist not an atheist. Atheism and Theism are about what a person believes, or does not believe. Actions are nothing to do with it. MANY atheists go to masses and churches. MANY theists do not go to mass or church. Many theists, many Christians, have never owned, held or read a Bible either. They are still Christians.

The issue here as I see it is that you are making up your own definition and criteria for what constitutes being a Christian or a Theist, and applying them as suits your agenda. But you are not the arbiter of the meaning of words. You do not get to dictate who is or is not a Christian. There are 33,000 separate branches and sects and divisions in Christianity alone. That was by a count a decade ago, there is likely more now. These each have beliefs of their own, many of them irreconcilable with each other. You do not get to declare by fiat which are "Real" Christians and which are not.

But what you certainly do not get to pretend is that someone who says time and time and time again they think there is a god.... that they are actually an atheist.
    You can choose to believe

Speak for yourself. You certainly do not speak for me. I am not someone who can "choose" what to believe. I have never had that capability and am in awe of anyone who can. I am compelled to belief in any and every claim by evidence, I am denied belief in any and every claim by lack of it. If there is no reason to believe a claim I can not "choose" to believe it. If there is plenty of compelling evidence to believe a claim I can not "choose" to withhold belief.

In my experience the pretence that one chooses belief and disbelief comes only and solely from people who have made a claim, and offered not just little but ABSOLUTELY NO evidence to support that claim. And in their frustration that I do not buy their claims despite this, they simply pretend it is because I choose not to.

The simple fact is, the claim there is a god is not just slightly but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated by you. I am not choosing to disbelieve that claim therefore. I am simply incapable of believing it. And that is not my failing, but yours.
    You talk loftily about data and reasoning and the scientific method. None of which would have actually existed without Christians

That is a "counter factual history" claim which you will find difficult to substantiate for a start. Counter factuals are fun thought experiments of course. To ask "If X did not happen would Y have happened the way it did?". Nothing wrong with thought experiments. But when you declare outright that "Y would not have happened without X" you are placing a massive burden of proof on yourself. One you have not even begun to meet, let alone achieved.

It also does not track with reality or history either by the way. The leaders of scientific progress once included the Muslim world for example. No Christianity required. But theism stepped in and hampered and even reversed much of their progress. Especially when parts of their religion decreed the manipulation of numbers to be the devils work. The history of religion, including Christianity, working well with science is not a good one. And often a bloody and murderous one of suppression of anything that did not support mother church.

Again however the separation has to be made between people BEING Christians and whether their actions had anything to do WITH that Christianity. The majority of chickens plucked in Ireland over the last millennium were likely also plucked by Christians. That does not mean we have Christianity to thanks for chicken plucking. You are once again falling for the correlation-causation divide.

You see I, unlike you, seem to recognise that a person being theist, or a person being atheist, does not automatically mean their actions, words, deeds and crimes have anything to do with their theism or atheism. I have to find, or be shown, a causal chain of links FROM their atheist or theism TO their actions. In the US for example the prison population is disproportionately, compared with the rest of US society, religious. Not one shred of my being wants to make the dishonest move you make however, by suggesting that their murders and rapes and other crimes were because they were theist.

But we CAN show crimes causally linked to theism too. For example some parents have been sent to prison for wilfully watching their children die, often painfully, of easily treatable illnesses. Solely because their religion teaches them the medical intervention required was an affront to their god. Here we are not merely saying "That person was a theist, that person did a bad thing, therefore theism leads to bad things". Rather we are seeing an ACTUAL CAUSAL CHAIN between their theism and their actions.

See the difference? IF so, then perhaps try and apply it before you jump once again on your "X was an atheist, X did a bad thing, therefore atheism leads to that bad thing" mantra.
    built by devout Christians like Isaac Newton

And it is MASSIVELY telling that Newton only invoked god in the face of his own ignorance. The moment his science failed him, he invoked the divine hand. He did his science, without recourse to a god, right up until he hit the wall of his own limits and ignorance and failings. The moment he did that.... rather than acknowledge his own limitations and ignorance..... he turned to "god dunnit".

Which is massively telling so I am glad you brought him up. It shows how much of religious thought is couched in human hubris. The moment he was faced with his own human limitations..... rather than acknowledge that perhaps he was not just up to the task of explaining something..... it was easier to simply say "Ah that must simply be because a magical god hand is reaching in and tweaking the system!!!!".

So contrary to your narrative, his Christianity had nothing to do with his science. His Christianity in fact only appeared to come on line when his science capabilities failed him. Rather than having Christianity to thank for his genius and discoveries therefore...... we have Christianity to blame for giving him an excuse to give up on that wondrous progress and achievement we so rightly credit to him.
    So you hold up the scientific method as the basis for your arguments but don’t appear to recognize that this method was conjured into existence by human minds...and yet what invented the human mind if not God?

Says you, but you are maintaining a steady MO of providing absolutely no evidence this god exists, or did any of the things you claim it did. Least of all creating humans, their minds, or our universe. You are back to arguing circular arguments now.
    But my all time favorite quote from the Bible is from the book which describes the end of all mankind.

Well quelle suprise I guess. Amazing how often I meet theists who tell me their favourite parts of their theism are the ones that fetisihize death, destruction, doom, and end times. One attribute I see time and time and time again in theism and theists..... is that many of them simply can not wait for death and destruction to be rolled out.

Whereas in contrast the most common attribute I see in most atheists I meet is a celebration of life, the protection of people and their well being, and the agenda and goal to make our existence as a species last as long as possible. Rather than enjoy texts describing the "end of mankind" they revel in texts that describe it's continuation and survival.

By fruits you will know them indeed. Given the choice between a cult of death, and a celebration of life, I know which group I am happy to find myself having landed in.

Advertisement