Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Well, the poll results quite accurately reflect the flavors, attitudes, and general environment of this forum, don't they...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

bnt wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there has been no mention here (in this or other threads) about the canonisation of John Henry Newman in Rome today. He converted from Church of England to Catholicism, came to Ireland and founded the Catholic University which later became UCD.

Why would there be mention? It's a non event to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Does anyone believe in life and love?

No time for that - too busy arguing on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Marhay70 wrote: »
    But it's you and others like you who believe this stuff. We are just pointing out the reasons why the idea of what you portray as a loving and protective deity are contradicted by the very book you choose to evidence that.
    When you are captured as a 4/5year old child and force fed this stuff by who you see as the most powerful and influential people in your life, with the threat of millenia of torment to come if you don't accept it, then it's easy to see why some of this stuff sticks. Were it not for this legal and state sponsored mental terrorism then I reckon that the poll in real life would be a lot more conclusive on the "no" side than the one on here.

Force fed is something I didn't experience.
    Have you ever read the Bible? From the story you're telling me , I'd suggest you haven't

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    WhAt if god was one of us?

He was and we killed Him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Who's this we ?

I wasn't around then, anyway i wouldn't kill some guy just because he can "make" wine and do magic tricks.

"Christian" scum lied to the Romans to get him killed because they saw there might be a lot of money in this craic

Typical filthy christians

gctest50 wrote: »
    Who's this we ?

I wasn't around then, anyway i wouldn't kill some guy just because he can "make" wine and do magic tricks.

"Christian" scum lied to the Romans to get him killed because they saw there might be a lot of money in this craic

Typical filthy christians

There were no Christians back then.

You really need to get acquainted with the story before you start making stupid comments.
    As for we , it was "humankind". If He came again in the same form, mankind would do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's why christians was in inverted commas/quotes , they were a group of scum that saw that there might be a lot of money in that craic, they called themselves christians later on

You really need to get acquainted with the story before you start making stupid comments......

Stupid comments ? It's a story of an affair that got legs and outta hand
    God knocked me up

Force fed is something I didn't experience.
    Have you ever read the Bible? From the story you're telling me , I'd suggest you haven't

Well good for you, I know there wasn't a day in my school years when I wasn't exposed to some level of indoctrination. Even in secondary school there was prayers at assembly and several hours of religion during the week.
    I've read enough of the bible to know that what I'm reading is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You really need to get acquainted with the story before you start making stupid comments.
    As for we , it was "humankind". If He came again in the same form, mankind would do again.

At least you admit it's just a story. And again, we and humankind. I had nothing to do with them, considering I was only born in the 80's. Religion likes to make out that it's everyone's fault, but their own. I am not part of your 'we'. If there really was someone who could do miracles, turn water into wine and magic up some fish, the last thing I would do is kill him, more like go on the never ending sesh, would just have to get him to figure out how to turn water into rum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I do believe that we were around before I know my youngest girl who never met her grand mother and every time she sees a picture of her nan, her eyes light up as if she new her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Would you not be more concerned about the many genocides that "we" committed down the centuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Have you ever read the Bible?

I have indeed, cover to cover.

Religious Education was pretty harmless in my experience, but one day in Primary school, our regular teacher was out and a retirement age Brother (maybe 65 in 1975) was subbing for him. He came in and recited a verse saying that whatever you pray for, you'll get (Mark 11:24, I think), and asked who in the class literally believed that. None of us did.

He said he believed it, and that anyone who didn't was not a Christian.

We quizzed him on it, did he think he would get a Ferrari? A million pounds? And he said yes, yes he would. Of course, we were only 11 or 12, and in a Catholic school, so all of us had personal experience of praying for stuff and not getting it. We mostly thought he was just insane.

But he did put a doubt in my head - maybe he was right and I was not really a Christian. So I sat down and read the Bible from cover to cover, which taught me straight away that he was right, I was not a Christian and that Christianity itself is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

kerryjack wrote: »
    I do believe that we were around before I know my youngest girl who never met her grand mother and every time she sees a picture of her nan, her eyes light up as if she new her well.

Well there's no arguing with that, is there? :confused:

I have indeed, cover to cover.

Religious Education was pretty harmless in my experience, but one day in Primary school, our regular teacher was out and a retirement age Brother (maybe 65 in 1975) was subbing for him. He came in and recited a verse saying that whatever you pray for, you'll get (Mark 11:24, I think), and asked who in the class literally believed that. None of us did.

He said he believed it, and that anyone who didn't was not a Christian.

We quizzed him on it, did he think he would get a Ferrari? A million pounds? And he said yes, yes he would. Of course, we were only 11 or 12, and in a Catholic school, so all of us had personal experience of praying for stuff and not getting it. We mostly thought he was just insane.

But he did put a doubt in my head - maybe he was right and I was not really a Christian. So I sat down and read the Bible from cover to cover, which taught me straight away that he was right, I was not a Christian and that Christianity itself is insane.

Well if that's the case then successive Popes, Archbishops and other Prelates in the various Christian Churches are no Christians either. How many times have they led the faithful in prayers for an end to war, famine and disease and yet we still have all three. Even Jesus himself prayed to be spared from the cross, to no avail, but no doubt somebody will come along to say that we're putting the wrong interpretation on things and that it means something totally different. That's a favourite move, apparently nothing in the Bible should be taken literally, it is all in a code which is only decipherable by the chosen. this is a somewhat similar position as that taken by the RCC pre Reformation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was listening to RTE Radio on Saturday and the f*cking Angelus came on at 12pm! Couldn't believe that still happens. How is this fair on the rest of us, why should non Catholics have to pay a licence fee for something that broadcasts Catholic nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

But He is real :)

<citations needed>

I can not speak for anyone else but I certainly have. Multiple times. Multiple versions.

What amazes me is how few Christians I meet who have bothered to own one let alone read it. I mean I do not think there is a god and I have read it a LOT. Yet people who profess to think this book is a glimpse into the mind of the being that created them and controls their eternal well being..... they can not be bothered?

Makes you wonder if people who SAY they believe in Christianity..... actually do. OR do they.... as Daniel Dennett puts it.... just "believe in belief".

Actually forget READING it many Christians I have met have not even SEEN one. They are shocked actually at how big it is. They have been fed the same cherry picked passages from school teachers and the pulpit all their life.... they seem to think that only those passages were in it. So when they see how big the full text actually is, and how tiny the font.... they find it literally jaw dropping.

If you want to plead guilty to a murder by all means turn yourself in. Do not drag us into it. I killed no one, least of all him. I was very young then.
    If He came again in the same form, mankind would do again.

Not so sure of that. We are a much less barbarous society these days. At least in parts of the world. Maybe he should not show his face in the middle east. I doubt he is getting murdered here in Ireland though.

That said though there were people who were witnessed performing much of the same miracles as your Nazarene is claimed to have. Sathya Sai Bab for example. He died of old age I think, not religious murderous fanatics and mobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

<citations needed>

I can not speak for anyone else but I certainly have. Multiple times. Multiple versions.

What amazes me is how few Christians I meet who have bothered to own one let alone read it. I mean I do not think there is a god and I have read it a LOT. Yet people who profess to think this book is a glimpse into the mind of the being that created them and controls their eternal well being..... they can not be bothered?

Makes you wonder if people who SAY they believe in Christianity..... actually do. OR do they.... as Daniel Dennett puts it.... just "believe in belief".

Actually forget READING it many Christians I have met have not even SEEN one. They are shocked actually at how big it is. They have been fed the same cherry picked passages from school teachers and the pulpit all their life.... they seem to think that only those passages were in it. So when they see how big the full text actually is, and how tiny the font.... they find it literally jaw dropping.

If you want to plead guilty to a murder by all means turn yourself in. Do not drag us into it. I killed no one, least of all him. I was very young then.

Not so sure of that. We are a much less barbarous society these days. At least in parts of the world. Maybe he should not show his face in the middle east. I doubt he is getting murdered here in Ireland though.

That said though there were people who were witnessed performing much of the same miracles as your Nazarene is claimed to have. Sathya Sai Bab for example. He died of old age I think, not religious murderous fanatics and mobs.

The only parts of the world that have become less barbarous are the Christian parts but unfortunately that doesn’t fit with your narrative. As Jesus said by your fruits you will know them.

Atheists can’t stand the fact that of all ideas, it was Christianity that finally civilized the world and the overwhelming majority of the great western philosophers politicians and scientists were devout Christians. Now that Christianity is becoming persecuted again, like it was by the Roman Empire for three centuries, it will be interesting to see how long the supremacy and progress of the western world will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Lots of ignorant offending bashing as to be expected here.

I dont think I believe anymore, but did.

It brought me great comfort in bad times. And in general its a good way to lead your life.

People should respect other peoples believes.

<citations needed>

Even the New Testament you read is a cherry picked version of the Gospels, there were dozens of different Gospels but in the early years of Christianity it was decided that we would just have these four. All of these Gospels were attributed to disciples apostles or other contempories of Jesus but the ones which were left out did not suit the agenda of the RCC, they were attributed to people like St Peter and St Thomas but one of the arguments was that nobody knew who wrote them. Now, fact is nobody knows who wrote the synoptic Gospels either so their authenticity is no more or less than the rest. Basically what you have with Christianity is several ancient individual opinions of what you should believe.

• Advertisement

pearcider wrote: »
    The only parts of the world that have become less barbarous are the Christian parts but unfortunately that doesn’t fit with your narrative. As Jesus said by your fruits you will know them.

Atheists can’t stand the fact that of all ideas, it was Christianity that finally civilized the world and the overwhelming majority of the great western philosophers politicians and scientists were devout Christians. Now that Christianity is becoming persecuted again, like it was by the Roman Empire for three centuries, it will be interesting to see how long the supremacy and progress of the western world will last.

Christianity civilised the world? Christianity was responsible for the most barbarous acts of colonisation the world has ever seen. The Inquisition, which incidentally still exists today,was the perpetrator of mass murder both in Europe and Latin America. Christian colonisation was responsible for the near extinction of native people in all regions of the world it touche. The Nazis were at least nominally, Christian, the Russian Pogroms were carried out by Christians.
    There are people of all faiths and none, all over the world who are every bit as civilised as Christians and usually only become less so when their country, tradition and very lives, are threatened by the "civilised" and overwhelmingly Christian, West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I know God exists without a shadow of doubt and on this I am resolute. Previously posters took issue with me for saying so with comments such as "Here, you don`t know, you only believe ..." but when I insisted I knew, my post mysteriously disappeared, as if by magic. Hence the necessity for this reiteration.

As for proof and empirical evidence, even the lawyers and judges know that miscarriages of justice happen because people cannot always prove what they know to be true. This is how it is for the faithful, we know God exists. We just cannot prove it. Without faith, things fail. Communism is the perfect example of failure and to the faithful, the reasons are obvious.

Still, some people cannot accept the fact that they are wrong and that denial of truth is why the wrong invented postmodernism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I know God exists without a shadow of doubt and on this I am resolute. Previously posters took issue with me for saying so with comments such as "Here, you don`t know, you only believe ..." but when I insisted I knew, my post mysteriously disappeared, as if by magic. Hence the necessity for this reiteration.

As for proof and empirical evidence, even the lawyers and judges know that miscarriages of justice happen because people cannot always prove what they know to be true. This is how it is for the faithful, we know God exists. We just cannot prove it. Without faith, things fail. Communism is the perfect example of failure and to the faithful, the reasons are obvious.

Still, some people cannot accept the fact that they are wrong and that denial of truth is why the wrong invented postmodernism.

What kind of God exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What kind of God exists?

And which one?

And which one?

Indeed. So many to choose from.

What kind of God exists?

The one and only and he is good.

The one and only and he is good.

Does he have a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

What I don't get is how certain people can be so dismissive. There's a huge universe out there that had to have started somewhere and had a beginning. Why isn't there just pure nothingness. I'll never wrap my head around it and Science can't explain it either.

peddlelies wrote: »
    What I don't get is how certain people can be so dismissive. There's a huge universe out there that had to have started somewhere and had a beginning. Why isn't there just pure nothingness. I'll never wrap my head around it and Science can't explain it either.

Indeed. The problem starts when people make up their own stories and sell them as truth and reality.

• Advertisement

Does he have a name?

God is three persons, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three are called God.

Advertisement