Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I have a strange one for you! I find when I pass groups of people, I hold my breath. I think I’m trying to look super comfy and look like I’m enjoying myself.

Anyway, my question - do you quickly get used to the crowds? I think I’m more nervous for that than the 26.2 miles. My friend was telling me that there were 1.7 million spectators in Chicago! 😱

I think I occasionally do the same - try to look composed (and fail miserably) when I'm passing by someone, then back to breathing like a maniac when I'm alone!

The crowds were my abiding memory of last year. It's all part of the occasion and yeah you get used to it pretty quick. Early on it's a funny sign raising a smile, and kids looking for high fives - just be careful not to get carried away on the tide of support and optimism at the start and wind up running too fast early on - it is very easily done. For me, the support came into it's own over the closing 6 or so miles, when it was needed the most. And the wall of noise over the closing half mile or more just makes you feel ten feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think I occasionally do the same - try to look composed (and fail miserably) when I'm passing by someone, then back to breathing like a maniac when I'm alone!

The crowds were my abiding memory of last year. It's all part of the occasion and yeah you get used to it pretty quick. Early on it's a funny sign raising a smile, and kids looking for high fives - just be careful not to get carried away on the tide of support and optimism at the start and wind up running too fast early on - it is very easily done. For me, the support came into it's own over the closing 6 or so miles, when it was needed the most. And the wall of noise over the closing half mile or more just makes you feel ten feet tall.

I ran my easy miles tonight wearing my Irish kidney Association top for the 1st time(my friends mam altered it by taking the sleeves out for me as i can't stand when i get too hot running) and as i was running listening to whitney blasting out 'give me one moment in time, when i'm more than i thought i could be' i got proper butterflies of excitement in my stomach thinking of those last miles, the support, then crossing that finish line, seeing my friend there & feeling so happy & proud & emotional i'm sure! As you pointed out there are so so many reasons that people run marathons & each one is as valid as the next :) Also today i checked sponsor cards & online & so far i am up to 1,400euro :eek:

Truly grateful & overwhelmed by this...now all i have to do is run 26.2 miles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

py wrote: »
    I think it's St Laurence's hill that you're referring to, which is this strava segment. After watching the video, I knew I had to run it prior to the event so did so last week. it's a fairly gradual drag with the last 100 metres of the hill increasing in difficulty. When you get to the top of the road and turn on to Ballyfermot/Sarsfield road you are still climbing ever so slightly. It levels off at the petrol garage on your right.

At 11.9 miles, just past Kilmainham Gaol and before you turn on to South Circular Road there is a small incline but very short.

From the canal to Crumlin Children's hospital and then up to Walkinstown Roundabout is a very long drag but its gradient is steady throughout.

Pretty much 20 miles on the button in Milltown, is a short sharp incline similar to the one by Kilmainham Gaol.

Including that incline above you've got the journey through Clonskeagh up to "Heartbreak Hill".

There's also Chesterfield Avenue to navigate at the start.

Thanks py, that's great I'll have a look at each of thwse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

anyone notices pedestrians innate inability to walk in a straight line when you are running up behind them about to overtake?
    every single time!

• Advertisement

I ran my easy miles tonight wearing my Irish kidney Association top for the 1st time(my friends mam altered it by taking the sleeves out for me as i can't stand when i get too hot running) and as i was running listening to whitney blasting out 'give me one moment in time, when i'm more than i thought i could be' i got proper butterflies of excitement in my stomach thinking of those last miles, the support, then crossing that finish line, seeing my friend there & feeling so happy & proud & emotional i'm sure! As you pointed out there are so so many reasons that people run marathons & each one is as valid as the next :) Also today i checked sponsor cards & online & so far i am up to 1,400euro :eek:

Truly grateful & overwhelmed by this...now all i have to do is run 26.2 miles :D

That's fantastic, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What is your target time? 4:30? If that's the case I'd suggest you forget about the pacer group until you catch them at the end. As the mentors have mentioned you should be slower than target pace at 7 miles. There's no need for a paceband and good at mental arithmetic. It's something I enjoy doing as I run.

4:30 is my plan B target so, on the advice of our great mentors, I'm going to run with the pacers for the first half and then if I have anything extra in the legs I'll try to up the pace a bit and aim for somewhere between 4:20 and 4:30. Honestly I'd be happy with 4:30 but even happier just to have a plan that is simple enough that I can follow it and not get too worked up about times on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

3boyz wrote: »
    That's fantastic, well done!

That's fantastic Lainey - what an achievement!

anyone notices pedestrians innate inability to walk in a straight line when you are running up behind them about to overtake?
    every single time!

All the bloody time :(
    I even played chicken with 2 tonight heading towards me taking up the whole path & me tucked in as tight as possible yet somehow i was in the wrong :eek: found myself cursing them as i got past!!

Or the people walking their dogs while texting, oblivious to the fact that their dog and lead are stretched the width of the path. 😩😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

eabha19 wrote: »
    4:30 is my plan B target so, on the advice of our great mentors, I'm going to run with the pacers for the first half and then if I have anything extra in the legs I'll try to up the pace a bit and aim for somewhere between 4:20 and 4:30. Honestly I'd be happy with 4:30 but even happier just to have a plan that is simple enough that I can follow it and not get too worked up about times on the day.

That's a spot on plan for 4:20/25. No bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

3boyz wrote: »
    Or the people walking their dogs while texting, oblivious to the fact that their dog and lead are stretched the width of the path. 😩😖

Hahaha.. wait til your fellow marathoners who are reduced to walking, those who suddenly veer across your path to get a water bottle or come to a sudden standstill because they see a friend cause you even more anger! Not to mention those with headphones on who don't hear you coming past and meander in front of you.. :;-):

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hahaha.. wait til your fellow marathoners who are reduced to walking, those who suddenly veer across your path to get a water bottle or come to a sudden standstill because they see a friend cause you even more anger! Not to mention those with headphones on who don't hear you coming past and meander in front of you.. :;-):

Can't wait for all that :)
    God imagine wearing headphones:eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Arghh can' t believe I'm typing this again... I'm injured... again!
    Waiting on physio apt but I reckon it's another tendon issue, either that or shin splints (pain is to side of my shin). There's no way I can run on it at the moment. I'm limping while walking today and that's after resting it since Saturday's LSR.

Also got MRI results yesterday from previous foot injury. Consultant said it's Tendinopothy, so I'm going to be prone to tendon issues. He has advised not to do another marathon after this one. That's if I even get there!!!! :(:( Back to rest, exercises and taking it one day at a time I suppose.

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Waiting on physio apt but I reckon it's another tendon issue, either that or shin splints (pain is to side of my shin). There's no way I can run on it at the moment. I'm limping while walking today and that's after resting it since Saturday's LSR.

Also got MRI results yesterday from previous foot injury. Consultant said it's Tendinopothy, so I'm going to be prone to tendon issues. He has advised not to do another marathon after this one. That's if I even get there!!!! :(:( Back to rest, exercises and taking it one day at a time I suppose.

Aw no!! Really sorry to hear this :(
    Wishing you a quick recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

One day at a time. Hope you get better news when you visit the physio. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Sorry to hear that Fraggle07. I also had shin splints running down the inside calf. I can't recommend Stepaside Physio enough. Conor there worked wonders and had me back running in a week if you can get yourself in there asap. Hope the recovery is quick either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Unknownability

@fraggle07, sorry to hear that. You've been very unlucky with injury, hope you are able to make the start line.

Bought a new pair of shorts online for the big day as I wasn't 100% happy with mine. These seem okay, they sit very high above the waist which feels unusual. Has anyone else got them or have any thoughts in them?

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-marathon-shorts-en-s301319.html

Also first long range weather forecasts now available for the day, seems to be indicating it will be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

@fraggle07, sorry to hear that. You've been very unlucky with injury, hope you are able to make the start line.

Bought a new pair of shorts online for the big day as I wasn't 100% happy with mine. These seem okay, they sit very high above the waist which feels unusual. Has anyone else got them or have any thoughts in them?

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-marathon-shorts-en-s301319.html

Also first long range weather forecasts now available for the day, seems to be indicating it will be cold.

I have the same shorts. Find them great, really light and loads of storage. I thought the high waist would be awkward but hardly notice it and never seems to slip down, even with phone, gels, etc. Only think that’d make them more useful would be if the phone pocket could be sealed.

Because they’re not lined I got seamless running boxers to wear under them, also from Decathlon and they’ve been really good too (despite appearing to be ludicrously small).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

That’s rough. Hopefully physio can get you to the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw crap fraggle07, will keep everything crossed for a speedy recovery for you. Hopefully a few days' rest will do the trick.

I've been kinda stalking poor MT Cranium over on the Weather forum (not for the first time either:o. His forecasts are spot on), and yep, early indications are for dry but cold. Bit of icky weather brewing midweek but hopefully cleared off by the big weekend :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

For anyone that's nervous and in need if a little inspiration check this out.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3pmqLrge_o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm not crying, you're crying.

ewc78 wrote: »
    For anyone that's nervous and in need if a little inspiration check this out.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3pmqLrge_o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm not crying, you're crying.

God i really should not have watched that whilst chopping onions ;)

So true our minds can be our hardest challenge...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I don't want to play the role of Buzz Killington (or steal the thunder of the actual mentors on here who have done an amazing job since the beginning) but reading the thread the last couple of days, there seems to be a few people struggling with actual injuries and illnesses (as opposed to taper madness, maranoia etc).

I've been down this road a couple of times myself and I would advise people to weigh up the pros and cons of carrying on if you know something isn't right.

Exhibit A:
    I got a nasty chest infection leading up to my first marathon in 2003 - finished anti-biotics on the Thursday (I think) before the race on the Sunday. Still wasn't feeling right but went ahead anyway.

Struggled badly on the day and should really have dropped out but wheezed my way around. Wasn't in great shape at the end and went back to my GP (who was a 2:45 marathoner himself) on the Tuesday - he gave me a right bollicking for running in that state; I ended up having to take 2 more courses of antibiotics and was off work for 3 weeks. Didn't run again properly until the following Spring iirc.

Exhibit B:
    Fast forward to 2012 and the London Marathon - developed Plantar Fasciitis a few weeks before the big day. Missed a fair chunk of training but was kinda feeling ok-ish when the race came around - still burst out in the first half like an eejit with my original target (a BQ <3:10) in mind.

Was amazingly on track till about 30K but then detonated spectacularly and limped home just under 3:30 in the end. I think if I'd paced it more conservatively I could have cruised around comfortably enough in 3:20~. Another long spell off running followed and I don't want to even attempt to calculate how much I spent on physio.

TLDR: if you're not feeling right, then consider a Plan B. There's no point risking your health just to finish a race - the training you've done will stand to you either way so don't feel that it'll be wasted.

*I'd consider shifting goals/paces if your original target time is no longer realistically in scope.

*Look at other upcoming races this side of Christmas that you might be back in shape for

*If you're under the weather completely, I'd still advise going up to Dublin (assuming hotel has been paid for), going to the Expo and even going to the start area (and running a couple of miles maybe if possible) - the experience of all that will stand to you and will be one less thing to worry about for future events imho.

Anyway sorry for prattling on but I'd hate to see others make the same mistakes I did :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

clickhere wrote: »
    I'm the same myself and on antibiotics. Hopefully were lucky it's hitting now and not next week. Hopefully be back on the plan for the weekend.

Just wondering how you are? Hope recovering well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Hi Everyone,

I was driving through Castleknock last night and I got to see some of the marathon signage. Scary!

I did the Halloween night run last night in Sandymount with my sister and her friend. It wasn’t a great route to be honest and most people took it pretty handy, as it would have been very easy to slip or injure oneself. It was a nice evening though and the staff were lovely. They even gave me 3 medals, so my kids wouldn’t be fighting over them!

Next week is going to be a nightmare for me. I’ve so much work on, some offsite stuff and husband is away until Friday morning. But, I will not panic. I’ll aim to be super organised and in bed as early as possible every night.

Fraggle I can’t believe you’re injured again, I hope you’ll be ok.

Lainey, that's impressive fund raising!

All those nursing coughs, colds, man-flu and other infections; get well soon.

Is someone here signed up for Run the Line in November?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I think I’m doing it but the shorter 13k course just for fun (not really racing it per se!) are you doing it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Doc76 wrote: »
    I think I’m doing it but the shorter 13k course just for fun (not really racing it per se!) are you doing it too?

I'm signed up for the 13Km too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paddy Houlihan

What is the best way to get into the city for a speculator coming from the naas motorway and trying to get near the finish line and avoiding closed roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

What is the best way to get into the city for a speculator coming from the naas motorway and trying to get near the finish line and avoiding closed roads?

N4 into city and park around ifsc or N11 straight into Burlington hotel area / Mespil Rd.
    N11 far closer to finish. You may get as close as Baggott St.
    Only road to avoid is south canal as it will be closed until at least lunchtime at Dolphins Barn.

Advertisement