Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jackc101 wrote: »
    Week 16 was alright, decided to spare the "good" gear for the big day and use alternate shorts & shirt for the LSR - mistake! Shredded several sensitive areas - yeooow! :rolleyes:

I'm under physio instructions, so did 2 x 5 mile easy and the 14 mile LSR per the boards schedule. Right knee is giving me grief. Physio visit again at lunchtime. Had to pull up at one point in the LSR so that's not helping my feelings about the big day at all.

How did the physio go today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Wombled wrote: »
    Message for Bananaleaf, posting under the wrong heading

Hi Wombled

I've been told that Quickstitch in Maynooth is decent. I'm going to contact them now to enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before, but it's certainly worth repeating at this stage. I found it gave me a huge boost, especially over the closing miles, when a spectator would shout out my name in encouragement. So, whether it's getting your name put on your race top, or just writing your name on your number - do something like this so that the spectators can offer encouragement to you. Attached is what my number looked like last year :)

I like how you kept it subtle and understated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I've mentioned it before, but it's certainly worth repeating at this stage. I found it gave me a huge boost, especially over the closing miles, when a spectator would shout out my name in encouragement. So, whether it's getting your name put on your race top, or just writing your name on your number - do something like this so that the spectators can offer encouragement to you. Attached is what my number looked like last year :)

I love your name idea Adrian and well done to you on the glitter - from reading the 2018 Novice thread I know that it was in memory of themadhouse's beautiful young daughter who passed away. Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

How was week 16 for you?

Week 16 was an odd one, the only time I felt comfortable was when I was out on my runs. The rest of the time I was a contrary mess, not sure if it was exhaustion from the 20 mile run or a bug of some sort but feel a lot better this week so hopefully I'll stay that way :)

- With two weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?

How do I feel about the marathon, I am soo excited now. I'm chuffed that I have managed to get this far, even if things go drastically wrong on the day, the training I have put in is standing to me in so many ways. I love feeling fit, and it really impacts on your whole life, even though I am tired I dont have that unfit sluggish tiredness that I have experienced in the past. Two years ago I would have laughed at anyone who suggested I get up early to do a long run in the cold and rain, and this year I have done that on more than one occasion! I know we haven't made it to the finish line yet but I really think we are all winners. We have fought so many mental and physical battles and the positivity from forums like this really helps when the chips are down.

Now for some questions for the mentors! I have been watching the drive through of the course that has been shared in various forums lately and hope you can help with a couple of questions. Apologies in advance, if they seem a bit over the top.
    Firstly, a lot of the roads seem to have ramps, is this difficult, as in is there much of a risk of tripping? I am terrified of coming a cropper on something stupid like tripping on a ramp.

Secondly, and probably a more practical question, the inclines throughout the course, are they long extended drags or short steep sections of road? For example, the drag in chapelizod is that long? It looks quite long on the video, I just like to have an idea in my head of where particular sections are going to be difficult and for how long this will last. Sorry if thats a bit garbled, hopefully you will know what I mean.

Finally I love the bling Mr Guappa, I think I'll do the same! we can have a competition who is the best at pimping up their number :D

Thanks in advance mentors, and thanks a million for all the advice you have given, it is very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I love your name idea Adrian and well done to you on the glitter - from reading the 2018 Novice thread I know that it was in memory of themadhouse's beautiful young daughter who passed away. Lovely

apologies, I didnt realise there was such a significant meaning to the glitter, I didnt mean to be flippant with my comments.

Bananaleaf wrote: »

You'll come across many runners on the day who are running in memory of a loved one, or in support of a personal cause. It shouldn't diminish our efforts of course, but it does put the quest for target times and the like into perspective.

3boyz wrote: »
    apologies, I didnt realise there was such a significant meaning to the glitter, I didnt mean to be flippant with my comments.

Oh god, no offence taken! It was intended as a fun tribute, full of sparkle and bling - I should have explained so in my earlier post!

It did probably stand out more than the traditional black marker and helped me get an extra shout out or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

For some reason I thought that our names would be printed our numbers. I now have an arts and crafts afternoon planned with my young lad the day before the race. Hopefully there's a responsible adult who can supervise both of us! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Now for some questions for the mentors! I have been watching the drive through of the course that has been shared in various forums lately and hope you can help with a couple of questions. Apologies in advance, if they seem a bit over the top.
    Firstly, a lot of the roads seem to have ramps, is this difficult, as in is there much of a risk of tripping? I am terrified of coming a cropper on something stupid like tripping on a ramp.

There aren't (m)any ramps in the first few miles where it's congested. By the time you hit the roads with the ramps, it will be more spread out so you should see them fine. That said, if you're running with a pacer, it may be more crowded but hopefully people give a little warning shout up ahead. I think you should be ok though!

[/QUOTE] Secondly, and probably a more practical question, the inclines throughout the course, are they long extended drags or short steep sections of road? For example, the drag in chapelizod is that long? It looks quite long on the video, I just like to have an idea in my head of where particular sections are going to be difficult and for how long this will last. Sorry if thats a bit garbled, hopefully you will know what I mean.
    [/QUOTE]

The hills / drags at the start won't feel so bad on your tapered, fresh legs, but this is where you need to be careful and not attack them too hard or you'll find the latter hills and drags very tough!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    There aren't (m)any ramps in the first few miles where it's congested. By the time you hit the roads with the ramps, it will be more spread out so you should see them fine. That said, if you're running with a pacer, it may be more crowded but hopefully people give a little warning shout up ahead. I think you should be ok though!

Secondly, and probably a more practical question, the inclines throughout the course, are they long extended drags or short steep sections of road? For example, the drag in chapelizod is that long? It looks quite long on the video, I just like to have an idea in my head of where particular sections are going to be difficult and for how long this will last. Sorry if thats a bit garbled, hopefully you will know what I mean.
    [/QUOTE]

The hills / drags at the start won't feel so bad on your tapered, fresh legs, but this is where you need to be careful and not attack them too hard or you'll find the latter hills and drags very tough![/QUOTE]

Super thats reassuring, thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I have a strange one for you! I find when I pass groups of people, I hold my breath. I think I’m trying to look super comfy and look like I’m enjoying myself.

Anyway, my question - do you quickly get used to the crowds? I think I’m more nervous for that than the 26.2 miles. My friend was telling me that there were 1.7 million spectators in Chicago! 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

I think it's St Laurence's hill that you're referring to, which is this strava segment. After watching the video, I knew I had to run it prior to the event so did so last week. it's a fairly gradual drag with the last 100 metres of the hill increasing in difficulty. When you get to the top of the road and turn on to Ballyfermot/Sarsfield road you are still climbing ever so slightly. It levels off at the petrol garage on your right.

At 11.9 miles, just past Kilmainham Gaol and before you turn on to South Circular Road there is a small incline but very short.

From the canal to Crumlin Children's hospital and then up to Walkinstown Roundabout is a very long drag but its gradient is steady throughout.

Pretty much 20 miles on the button in Milltown, is a short sharp incline similar to the one by Kilmainham Gaol.

Including that incline above you've got the journey through Clonskeagh up to "Heartbreak Hill".

There's also Chesterfield Avenue to navigate at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Week 16 was successful. Did my lsr Friday morning so I'm well rested. Booked in for physio / massage this Sunday and I've ordered some Hi5 gels. Looking forward to the day now & focusing on sleeping well & keeping hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Was going well. Did 5,8,4 and 15 last week. Now have sore throat and cough...............

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

DolG wrote: »
    Was going well. Did 5,8,4 and 15 last week. Now have sore throat and cough...............

I am very similar but feeling more than a tinge in my hip during saturdays 4 mile and also throughout sundays 15 mile at weekend. Don't know what to do now? Have physio booked for Thursday. Should I do my midweek tue/wed/thur runs?

I am very similar but feeling more than a tinge in my hip during saturdays 4 mile and also throughout sundays 15 mile at weekend. Don't know what to do now? Have physio booked for Thursday. Should I do my midweek tue/wed/thur runs?

At this stage there is more to be lost than gained by chancing a run if something feels off. Listen to your body. See how it is on a day-to-day basis, but don't force a run, and then see what they physio reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

How did the physio go today?

Good ish, non specific knee pain, so nothing exact to be targeted. He's happy for me to continue following the boards plan given I'm tapering down anyway and that, combined with his work and then for me; a mix of Bulgarian Split Squats, better quality calf raises (I was doing them off the ground rather than a step & not pushing through) & side planks with glute activation should get me there. Also said my flexability was poor (Guilty, your Honour!:o) Follow up visit next Monday. He said that my target time was achievable so pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭clickhere

DolG wrote: »

I'm the same myself and on antibiotics. Hopefully were lucky it's hitting now and not next week. Hopefully be back on the plan for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

clickhere wrote: »
    I'm the same myself and on antibiotics. Hopefully were lucky it's hitting now and not next week. Hopefully be back on the plan for the weekend.

Dr’s appointment for tomorrow, first available. Hope we can fight this quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

- How was week 16 for you?
    Week 16 went OK although I had to shorten one of my runs for logistics reasons. I did end up doing the planned mileage across the week, though. I did a speed session and was happy to find that I do seem to have a faster gear. I was a bit wiped out after it but with two and a half weeks still to go before the big day (this was last Tuesday) I felt I had sufficient time to recover.

On Sunday I was participating in an organised "last hurrah" long run with a group from my club, which was planned to be 17 miles, incorporating the last 16 miles of the DCM route. I was a bit worried that this would be too long but I said I'd play it by ear on the day. In the end, as we got to mile 14 we were just at the flyover at UCD, and I could see from the real-time display on the bus stop that there was a bus due, so I just stopped and hopped on the bus. There followed my worst experience of the entire training block. Having got completely wet through on the run (Sunday morning was wet, as you may recall, and I forgot to bring a jacket), I stood through two bus journeys and was freezing cold and still dripping by the time I got back to my house, only to find that I didn't have my key. My husband was out in the car and around 40 minutes away, and I tried to call my dad but he was at mass and had his phone switched off. By this time I was so cold I couldn't use my phone at all as my fingers were too numb. Luckily, after about 15 minutes my dad got the message on his phone and came along to bail me out. I have never enjoyed a shower as much as that post-run shower!

Apprehensive, mostly about pacing. And also things that might go wrong on the day. It was so wet on Sunday's LSR that again I had problems opening my gel as my fingers were half-numb and slippery from the rain. I had tissue in my pocket but it didn't do a great job of drying my fingers as the rain was coming down so hard. I'm not really sure how I would get around this on the day so I'll just have to hope it doesn't rain.

I also haven't decided about my water strategy. I've always carried a 350 mL bottle on my long runs containing water with a Zero tablet. I know I'll find this annoying on the day, especially if I'm trying to go a bit faster. Also, it probably won't be enough. My husband is happy to stand at a prearranged spot with a new bottle for me, but I haven't decided where yet. I may just end up throwing the bottle away on the day if it annoys me too much, and using the water stations only. Given my problems opening the gels, I can't see that carrying a Zero tablet, unwrapping it and getting it mixed with the water would be manageable for me.

I've also left it too late (I think) to get a pacing band, as they have to be posted from the US as far as I can see? At least, the ones on findyourmarathon.com that have the course-specific pacing. I might do a bit more research on this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

kyomi wrote: »
    -
    Apprehensive, mostly about pacing. And also things that might go wrong on the day. It was so wet on Sunday's LSR that again I had problems opening my gel as my fingers were half-numb and slippery from the rain. I had tissue in my pocket but it didn't do a great job of drying my fingers as the rain was coming down so hard. I'm not really sure how I would get around this on the day so I'll just have to hope it doesn't rain.

I also haven't decided about my water strategy. I've always carried a 350 mL bottle on my long runs containing water with a Zero tablet. I know I'll find this annoying on the day, especially if I'm trying to go a bit faster. Also, it probably won't be enough. My husband is happy to stand at a prearranged spot with a new bottle for me, but I haven't decided where yet. I may just end up throwing the bottle away on the day if it annoys me too much, and using the water stations only. Given my problems opening the gels, I can't see that carrying a Zero tablet, unwrapping it and getting it mixed with the water would be manageable for me.

I've also left it too late (I think) to get a pacing band, as they have to be posted from the US as far as I can see? At least, the ones on findyourmarathon.com that have the course-specific pacing. I might do a bit more research on this tonight.

Just copy the paces off the app, print them on an appropriate size band of paper and then laminate. Easy peasy.

Re the gels....do what cyclists (and I think most runners) do. Open with your teeth. Once again, easy peasy.

Plenty of water bottles on course. No need to carry your own. A few half Zero taps in little plastic bags (the type that spare buttons often come in, or better known as 'Score' bags to some) which you can pop into the bottles as you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Plenty of water bottles on course. No need to carry your own. A few half Zero taps in little plastic bags (the type that spare buttons often come in, or better known as 'Score' bags to some) which you can pop into the bottles as you run.

Skyblue gave me this tip in 2017 (maybe because I'm from Finglas:pac:) , and ive been using it in races ever since. Half a zero tab into the 250ml bottles which they give out work a treat. Last year I drank a bit of the water before remembering to put the tab in, lets just say my stomach didnt agree with it, as it was very concentrated, so be careful with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You can also get the salt stick tablets that are chewable. I took one during a 10k running at full pelt and no major issues as I washed it down with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

kyomi wrote: »
    - How was week 16 for you?
    Week 16 went OK although I had to shorten one of my runs for logistics reasons. I did end up doing the planned mileage across the week, though. I did a speed session and was happy to find that I do seem to have a faster gear. I was a bit wiped out after it but with two and a half weeks still to go before the big day (this was last Tuesday) I felt I had sufficient time to recover.

On Sunday I was participating in an organised "last hurrah" long run with a group from my club, which was planned to be 17 miles, incorporating the last 16 miles of the DCM route. I was a bit worried that this would be too long but I said I'd play it by ear on the day. In the end, as we got to mile 14 we were just at the flyover at UCD, and I could see from the real-time display on the bus stop that there was a bus due, so I just stopped and hopped on the bus. There followed my worst experience of the entire training block. Having got completely wet through on the run (Sunday morning was wet, as you may recall, and I forgot to bring a jacket), I stood through two bus journeys and was freezing cold and still dripping by the time I got back to my house, only to find that I didn't have my key. My husband was out in the car and around 40 minutes away, and I tried to call my dad but he was at mass and had his phone switched off. By this time I was so cold I couldn't use my phone at all as my fingers were too numb. Luckily, after about 15 minutes my dad got the message on his phone and came along to bail me out. I have never enjoyed a shower as much as that post-run shower!

Try partially tearing the gels before the run?

On the pacing band, mine came too late last year but I was able to print a version off and fashion a band using sellotape. Might work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Try partially tearing the gels before the run?

On the pacing band, mine came too late last year but I was able to print a version off and fashion a band using sellotape. Might work for you?

I’ve made my own a few times. “Laminated” with sellotape, worked perfectly well. All that’s really needed is a printer.

I’ve made my own a few times. “Laminated” with sellotape, worked perfectly well. All that’s really needed is a printer.

I suggested laminating because mine which was 'laminated' with 5 layers of clear packing tape still managed to let sweat in and the ink ran. So if using sellotape make sure the ink doesn't run! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I suggested laminating because mine which was 'laminated' with 5 layers of clear packing tape still managed to let sweat in and the ink ran. So if using sellotape make sure the ink doesn't run! :pac:

Oopsie. I missed your response. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I'm not thinking of using a pace band or being too specific about paces. Was planning on following 4hr30 pacer, letting them do the work for me and then taking it up if I can from mile 18 or so. However if it's too congested around the pacers I may have to go it on my own - I wonder should I be looking up those pace band times to have just in case. I know the average pace of a 4hr 30 is 10:18 so was thinking of just hanging there or thereabouts for the first half of the race.

• Advertisement

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm not thinking of using a pace band or being too specific about paces. Was planning on following 4hr30 pacer, letting them do the work for me and then taking it up if I can from mile 18 or so. However if it's too congested around the pacers I may have to go it on my own - I wonder should I be looking up those pace band times to have just in case. I know the average pace of a 4hr 30 is 10:18 so was thinking of just hanging there or thereabouts for the first half of the race.

What is your target time? 4:30? If that's the case I'd suggest you forget about the pacer group until you catch them at the end. As the mentors have mentioned you should be slower than target pace at 7 miles. There's no need for a paceband and good at mental arithmetic. It's something I enjoy doing as I run.

Advertisement