Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Kellygirl wrote: »
    People do get the marathon blues. There will be a grads thread set up a few weeks after with a brilliant choice of plans to follow - 5-10k, 10k-HM, marathon plans. Your group will stay in touch on WhatsApp and you’ll have each other to discuss the marathon with for ages after when family and friends have moved on ;)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is there some reason you won't continue running. There is a group of us 2017 novices still loving it!

No, I will continue running and if it is like you say Kellygirl and sky blue, then that sounds lovely and exactly what I'm looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    No, I will continue running and if it is like you say Kellygirl and sky blue, then that sounds lovely and exactly what I'm looking for :)

Sure how are you going to be a mentor next year if you're not running :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Ok so is it just me or does anyone else do this??
    If i have a run in the morning or straight after work i'm so focused up & out (usually) but give me a recovery run on a Sunday & the procrastinating is UNBELIEVABLE, got the shopping & thought right let the others put it away & head out, nope cleaned the fridge, helped put it away then decided it would be best to put the dinner on so it would be cooking while i'm out! Right upstairs & get changed, simple right? Nope decide to reorganise my running gear, which has now over flown into a second drawer :D Everything all sorted & finally got out for my run, but on the plus side the weather was fab & my running drawer is all sorted:D

Yep, was all set to get my LSR out of the way yesterday morning, gear prepped from the night before. Decided to have an extra hour in bed, then put on the Japan v Scotland Rugby game ....2 hours later I dragged myself around for 19K......what should have been a 'handy' LSR ended up being a bit of a slog.......stupid procrastination........I should do something about sorting that out......I will have to look at that tomorrow....:rolleyes:.

One good thing did come out of my LSR yesterday was that I put on far too much gear and was melting after 15 minutes,a gentle reminder to do a 'Magic Mike' or 'Patricia The Stripper' on DCM day,if it is cold/cool on the morning(more than likely), make sure that you have 'disposable' clothing with you such as an old tracksuit top and bottoms, a cheap beanie hat and Penny's gloves etc., that you can discard at the start or a few miles in,they will keep you warm and dry until you get going on the day.....works for me anyway..

There will probably be a lot more on this topic in the next 2 week (13 days gulp), but start dragging out some disposable clothes from the bottom of the hot press now ..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

smashiner wrote: »
    Ok so is it just me or does anyone else do this??
    If i have a run in the morning or straight after work i'm so focused up & out (usually) but give me a recovery run on a Sunday & the procrastinating is UNBELIEVABLE, got the shopping & thought right let the others put it away & head out, nope cleaned the fridge, helped put it away then decided it would be best to put the dinner on so it would be cooking while i'm out! Right upstairs & get changed, simple right? Nope decide to reorganise my running gear, which has now over flown into a second drawer :D Everything all sorted & finally got out for my run, but on the plus side the weather was fab & my running drawer is all sorted:D

Yep, was all set to get my LSR out of the way yesterday morning, gear prepped from the night before. Decided to have an extra hour in bed, then put on the Japan v Scotland Rugby game ....2 hours later I dragged myself around for 19K......what should have been a 'handy' LSR ended up being a bit of a slog.......stupid procrastination........I should do something about sorting that out......I will have to look at that tomorrow....:rolleyes:.

One good thing did come out of my LSR yesterday was that I put on far too much gear and was melting after 15 minutes,a gentle reminder to do a 'Magic Mike' or 'Patricia The Stripper' on DCM day,if it is cold/cool on the morning(more than likely), make sure that you have 'disposable' clothing with you such as an old tracksuit top and bottoms, a cheap beanie hat and Penny's gloves etc., that you can discard at the start or a few miles in,they will keep you warm and dry until you get going on the day.....works for me anyway..

There will probably be a lot more on this topic in the next 2 week (13 days gulp), but start dragging out some disposable clothes from the bottom of the hot press now ..... :D

Phew so its not just me ;)

I would be one of the foremamed 'Patricia's' so i will defo be bringing disposable layers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭py

positron wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the marathon is just a celebratory lap after a good training cycle.

I'm taking the approach that it's a finish line that just happens to be 26.2 miles in length.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    How was week 16 for you?

Mentioned earlier that I'd a cold so just happy to have this week behind me. Runs went fine and was happy to get some hills in during my LSR which explains the slightly higher HR. It's great to see my midweek runs at a lower HR. It shows that the benefits of the fitness gains and weight loss.

Midweek runs
    1 -  8Km, 6:47/Km,  131avg HR
    2 -  13Km,  6:46/Km,  134avg HR
    3 -  6.5Km,  6:45/Km,  137avg HR
    LSR
    19.5Km, 6:59/Km,  148avg HR
    With two weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?

Really really really REALLY excited. In terms of my race plan, I've been flip flopping over how to run the race but I've decided to start in Wave 3 and just keep the 4:00 pacers in sight (similar to DCHM race plan) until I'm out of the park and then slowly reel them in but without putting myself under pressure. Everything else is nailed down from race attire to where family will be on the route.

By the time I step on the line, I will have covered from mile 4 till the end throughout my training so I'm familiar with the route which I've found has benefited me in previous running/cycling events.

Took the bus this morning and noticed good few of the route signs out and about. It's real. This is happening. We're all ready. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Runs this week:

Tues 8k at 5:29 pace
    Weds 9.7k at 5:42 pace
    Thurs 5k at 5:49 pace
    Sat 6k at 5:57 pace

Sunday 19k lsr at 5:55 pace (tried my best to slow this down but running any slower is like walking to me. I'm 6 "3

Felt good overall. Booked in for sports massage this Sat and besides that i'll slow all the runs down now as much as possibly until the big day.

Only thing I'm hoping for on the day is a lack of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Week 16 was fine. Legs were very tired for the mid week 8 miles. Felt fine again for 12 mile LSR. I really enjoyed the LSR this week. It felt very comfortable.

It all feels so real now. I cannot wait. I'm kind of in disbelief that I am 13 days away from running a marathon!!!! Yesterday I was in the car with husband and I looked at the clock and said "this time two weeks I'll be on the home straight and hopefully 15mins away from the finish line" :) He just looked at me and rolled his eyes :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Sorbet

Quick question on family on the course. I'm out Stillorgan way - any suggestions on a good place to stand? I plan on stopping for a bit to say hi so want to be somewhere where I'm not in the way and possibly where i dont have to start mid uphill afterwards! Does the marathon tracker app track you the whole way or just at certain points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sorbet wrote: »
    Quick question on family on the course. I'm out Stillorgan way - any suggestions on a good place to stand? I plan on stopping for a bit to say hi so want to be somewhere where I'm not in the way and possibly where i dont have to start mid uphill afterwards! Does the marathon tracker app track you the whole way or just at certain points?

Fosters Avenue, I would say, closest to stillorgan and theres a drinkstation and loos around there so others will be having a pitstop. You will then be restarting on a downhill. Tracker all the way although, I would suggest give you crew an approx time as trackers cant always be reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Homework
    - How was week 16 for you?
    - With two weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?

Week 16 was alright, decided to spare the "good" gear for the big day and use alternate shorts & shirt for the LSR - mistake! Shredded several sensitive areas - yeooow! :rolleyes:

I'm under physio instructions, so did 2 x 5 mile easy and the 14 mile LSR per the boards schedule. Right knee is giving me grief. Physio visit again at lunchtime. Had to pull up at one point in the LSR so that's not helping my feelings about the big day at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Homework
    Happy with how it went and miles done, avoiding any niggles so that's positive
    nervous, apprehensive, excited, delirious to name just a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭py

I'm feeling very excited and nervous. However, one other feeling seems to be overshadowing that and it is sadness. Sadness that it is coming to an end. For better or worse, I have put my entire life into this plan for the past 17 weeks. I've committed to it 100% which is a real achievement for me because really, I don't have the friggin time. As it draws to an end I won't lie, I feel a bit lost. I am tired and I need to pare back my training and I will be glad of a rest, but I'm also really sad that this is ending. Very strange mixed feelings.

The last 16 weeks have been an incredible journey with a lot of mental ups and downs throughout. That's just the running side of things. When you add in real life (partner, kids, work, college etc), everyone should feel proud of getting this far. We are all awesome for achieving that. Sure, we all need a rest, no doubt about it. In addition to the physical demands of a training programs, there are mental stresses that are often forgotten about... maintaining your schedule, ensuring your prepared for the session ahead (not just the DCM which is weeks/months away), anxiety over your food/drink consumption, making sure everything outside of training taken care of (see real life list above), the constant self doubts and deprecation, I could go on. I personally don't think it is sustainable for amateurs, which is what we are, for 52 weeks of the year without sacrificing other areas of our lives.

Getting to the start line on the 27th is a huge achievement, something many people will never experience or achieve. DCM shouldn't be the end, view it as the beginning. Take a good few weeks break. Try a different distance or terrain. Get out on Saturday mornings to your local or foreign parkrun where everyone is smiling and welcoming, this will brighten up your day or week. In early December, make some plans for 2020 whether it's to run X number of days per week/month, get your first/next parkrun milestone t-shirt or schedule an event away and making a weekend away of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

How was week 16 for you?

The week went well, the Wednesday session definitely gave me some confidence.

A few aches and pains, mainly calves. Physio booked in for Wednesday evening to give me a pre-dcm sports massage.

I'm grand in general and the recent runs have helped build confidence, but every time I catch up on this thread the nerves kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

It was a pretty good week; had to push my 8 mile to Friday night and I did my long run on Sunday. Covered the plan and tried to keep the miles as slow as possible. HR still creeping up and i'm really not sure why. I know I have the fitness and I have been stressing about this, but i'm probably over thinking it. Along with everything else! On the long run I had great company, it was absolutely lashing rain, but we were chatting away and had lots of laughs, which probably explains the higher HR. Nicest coffee ever afterwards.

I'm eating ok, all good food, could probably do with eating a little more. Lots of water going in too.

BUT I can't sleep. I'm in bed early-ish reading and relaxing, but my legs are so restless. I'm awake from 4:05am every single morning and that's not like me at all!

Pretty excited and pretty nervous in equal measures. I have sorted a lift, I was in Penneys yesterday for cheap gloves, a hat and warm tracksuit bottoms. I have given my other half a list of things to bring with him on the day and I will pack a bag for him too. Friends are going to be in Phoenix park and at the end. They are booking somewhere for a bite to eat and a drink or two in the evening. Family will be at Milltown and also at the end.

We were also in Tesco yesterday and two of my kids have a stash of jellies and sweets to hand out that would give a dentist a heart attack.

Still need to sort a running vest, which I will do this week. I'm happy with the rest of my gear.

Still need to think about PMP and get all of that straight in my head.

Have a wedding this Friday and my last 8 mile run the morning after. I really want rid of the wedding at this stage, could do without it.

Some friends were in Chicago yesterday. Both were aiming for sub-4, but both carrying injuries (back and foot). One the lads made it home in 3:59:44 and the other in 4:23. Both delighted to have gotten through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sorbet wrote: »

So the tracker will predict where you are on the course based on the pace you cross each timing belt e.g. when you cross 10k it will give your predicted finish time based on the pace up to that point and adjust (if needed) at halfway etc, and the app will show where you are on the course based on those predictions. This will only be accurate if you're sticking to one pace but I'm sure they'll be able to figure the window required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

How was week 16 for you?

Fine except fighting off another cold. Perils of living with little kids and a husband who flies frequently on those metal germ birds :) I was completely shattered after my LSR yesterday. Happy for low mileage week this week!!

Cautiously optimistic? I want to enjoy the day so not going to put too much pressure to get under 5 hrs but would obviously be delighted with that. I said before but I really think the biggest accomplishment will be sticking to this training block. The race is just icing on the cake. Cannot thank mentors and fellow novices enough for helping me get this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

You'll all be glad to know that any potential Ireland rugby semi final will now be on the Saturday of DCM, not the Sunday - so fears of running around Dublin with no support can be allayed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well done to all on here....making it this far in one piece is an achievement in itself.

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks for inspiration...it's been so long since my last marathon my novice status has almost grown back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Not too bad. Still recovering from whatever terrible man flu afflicted me. Wasn’t on plan after missing last weekend. Did 14 Tuesday, recovery Wednesday, 5 Friday, 14 Sunday.

Looking forward to it now. A bit apprehensive, the illness just at a time when it felt like everything was coming together hasn’t helped.

Hope to keep the diet fairly healthy the next few weeks and avoid too many late nights. Work should be a little bit quieter too which is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi all

I missed last week's homework - it was such a hectic week and I just didn't have time to do it.

What do I need to do for DCM:
    • If I'm getting my name printed on my singlet I will need to sort that this week. I'll make enquiries.
    • I need to order some more gels. Must do this tomorrow.
    • I want to meal plan everything for the last week so that I can cook it all up on the Sunday/Monday and reduce time on the feet running around shops etc
    • Keep throwing the vitamins into me and drinking water.
    • Sleep. This didn't go well last week. Got 9hrs on the Sunday, which I think was way too much cause then I didn't sleep properly again until Wednesday
    • Put phone and computer away 2 full hrs before bedtime
    • Figure out where McGrattans is
    • Get my hamstrings as loose as I can. Physio has been saying all along how tight they are so I'm working on them every day. I want to give her a big surprise when I meet her next week

With thanks to Singer, I'm yoinking a post from 2016 to help with locating McGrattan's:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

It was good, I felt like the runs were a bit of a slog, but guessing this was on the back of the LSR 20 the weekend before.

Got a stitch on the LSR on Sat, hoping this does not happen again, this only happened me once before

Nervous mix of excitement and dread !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How was week 16 for you?

Generally good, feeling comfortable and liking the bit of a break from the pressure of fitting longer runs in around life!
    I'm definitely guilty of being lulled into running too fast, which I'll certainly address for the remaining time. It's silly, allowing the paces pick up, because I actually found that having to slow myself down was quite liberating. I don't feel I have to check my watch as often, and I like that!
    Had a physio appointment on Tuesday just to make sure niggly knees were coming right with rehab exercises, and I'll possibly get myself a leg massage early next week.

I am feeling very calm about it all. Then I get a bit worried that I'm too calm :o
    It takes me a minute or two when I wake up in the mornings to remember that I'm doing a marathon! In less than 2 weeks!
    I hate the bit between waking up and travelling to a race. Hate it. I find it quite stressful, maybe because I've had recurring dreams for years about missing the start of various races, or being in completely the wrong place. Once I get to Dublin on the morning, I hope my zen-like state will return :o

I'm going to get my gear together this week... racing gear, disposable warm gear, and dry clothes for afterwards in a bag that my husband can meet me with at the end... maybe a cocktail dress, laboutin high heels, and full make-up kit, just for heading to McGrattan's :D:D
    Or maybe just a track suit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week16, can't believe it. Only managed to get three runs in as had to bring my long run forward to Thursday as on night duty.

4 miles 11.30/ mile
    5 miles 11.23/ mile
    12 miles 11.43/ mile.

Nervous, excited. Mixed emotions. I still can't believe I will be able to run 26 miles, but then I didn't think I would be able to do 20 miles

I am still a bit concerned about the fuelling during the marathon. The most gels I have ever taken is 4. Will I be able to stomach anymore, not sure.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    With thanks to Singer, I'm yoinking a post from 2016 to help with locating McGrattan's:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101452551&postcount=5247

If you find any good printing shops, can you let me know. I think we live out the same direction, so anything local would be great. Thank you

Wombled wrote: »
    If you find any good printing shops, can you let me know. I think we live out the same direction, so anything local would be great. Thank you
    Message for Bananaleaf, posting under the wrong heading

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

How was week 16 for you?
    Decent week training wise with 4 sessions in again - 3 sessions mid-week and LSR on Sunday was 2 hours! really comfortable and easy paced!
    food was fairly ok all week and plenty of water on board.. just need cut out some mindless snacking!

unsure as to what my exact feeling is at the moment...definite bit of nervousness and worry but I'm trying not to overthink it too much at the moment!! Hoping a good excitement will build as KO time edges ever closer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

How was week 16 for you?
    Pretty good, managed to get all the runs in. The 14 miles still felt long enough but I did appreciate the extra 45 mins in bed on Saturday morning!

A bit sick tbh. Wondering what possessed me to sign up for this. But at the same time kind of excited about the finish line. Have to still figure out where the family will be to cheer me on and whether I try to meet up with them on town after or just head home to them after a wee visit to McGrattans. Also this might seem stupid but can someone join you during the race and run the last few miles with you. I think my sister might like to do that but not sure if it's allowed. She joined me for the last 6 miles of most of my long runs and it could really help to perk me up - maybe that's considered to be cheating, have no idea really. I remember my friend saying her husband joined in for a couple of miles towards the end of the marathon - he decided the best thing to do would be to run faster than her to try to get her to speed up towards the end. Needless to say she was not impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Week 16 went well for me. I was really surprised at how fresh my legs felt for some of the runs & just how easy it would be to get caught up in a faster pace! This is something i need to be careful of for DCM but with all the advice etc i think i have definitely become more disciplined & can pull it back when needed.

I am feeling a few things tbh. Nervous, excited, prepared & positive:)

Now by no means does all the above mean i will get my target time & i know it's the complete unknown for me but with that said my time isn't pie in the sky, i gauged it from my current racetimes and the training i have put in, which again does not guarantee anything!! I feel i didn't give 100% to each race even though at the time i really thought i was but i think if i hadn't been too cautious then i could have achieved faster times & the satisfaction of feeling like i really emptied out! So really above all else i feel positive that i can & will do this...an added bonus of course will be getting my goal time ;)

eabha19 wrote: »
    How was week 16 for you?
    Pretty good, managed to get all the runs in. The 14 miles still felt long enough but I did appreciate the extra 45 mins in bed on Saturday morning!

A bit sick tbh. Wondering what possessed me to sign up for this. But at the same time kind of excited about the finish line. Have to still figure out where the family will be to cheer me on and whether I try to meet up with them on town after or just head home to them after a wee visit to McGrattans. Also this might seem stupid but can someone join you during the race and run the last few miles with you. I think my sister might like to do that but not sure if it's allowed. She joined me for the last 6 miles of most of my long runs and it could really help to perk me up - maybe that's considered to be cheating, have no idea really. I remember my friend saying her husband joined in for a couple of miles towards the end of the marathon - he decided the best thing to do would be to run faster than her to try to get her to speed up towards the end. Needless to say she was not impressed!!

No - non-competitors are not permitted to join you crossing the finish line. It's in the FAQ's here. It would lead to all sorts of carnage if that was allowed.

As for the race itself - there is nothing to fear. You should absolutely respect the race, and the distance - but do not fear it! You've trained for this, you know how to approach the race, you're ready for this!

• Advertisement

Wombled wrote: »

I've mentioned it before, but it's certainly worth repeating at this stage. I found it gave me a huge boost, especially over the closing miles, when a spectator would shout out my name in encouragement. So, whether it's getting your name put on your race top, or just writing your name on your number - do something like this so that the spectators can offer encouragement to you. Attached is what my number looked like last year :)

Advertisement