Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’ve worked out my “road tax“ bill for my bike should be €2, as the bike weighs about 1% that of my car that costs €200 to tax annually.
    if you're using weight as a means of determining the tax, your bike tax would actually be less than 20c. the relationship between road wear and weight is not even close to linear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’ve worked out my “road tax“ bill for my bike should be €2, as the bike weighs about 1% that of my car that costs €200 to tax annually. Might even be cheeky and ask them about a “road tax” refund for. My car that sits on the drive Monday to Friday saving (in my fag packet calculations) 1.5 tonnes of CO2 annually if I was to drive to work.

Nope.

https://streets.mn/2016/07/07/chart-of-the-day-vehicle-weight-vs-road-damage-levels/

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rechuchote wrote: »

I laughed so much at that last category, brilliant

Must create a EU/Euro version of this chart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Cabaal wrote: »
    I laughed so much at that last category, brilliant

Must create a EU/Euro version of this chart :)

What would be particularly useful would be a version of the calculation model with "10kg bike" and "2 ton car" replacing the letters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting that in the states, an 'average car' is 4000lb; that's over 1.8 tons.
    a ford mondeo has a list weight of between 1.4 and 1.6 tons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Myself and my bike are 55% the weight of a fat man on a freakishly heavy bicycle. The more you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    Myself and my bike are 55% the weight of a fat man on a freakishly heavy bicycle. The more you know.

Fat man on a freakishly light bike?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe not quite a near miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a final destination morning this am both incidents occurred within minutes of this other this am the first guy past me 20 secs earlier so had seen me the taxi was just a prick and shrugged his shoulders when I made eye contact with him :mad::mad::mad: .

3 point turn
    But I'm a Taxi

I've two lights to the front, a hiviz jacket and 3 lights to the rear in case you're wondering about my visability!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think as a cyclist you can forget to not assume people do stupid things sometimes unintentionally sometimes not.

Also they get task fixation and ignore obvious things in front of them. It's how people can seem to look but not see.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

That's every minute at the Clontarf Road / Causeway Road junction in Raheny

Actually saw a taxi go through about 5 seconds after it turned red and I was almost half-way across about 2 weeks ago

That's every minute at the Clontarf Road / Causeway Road junction in Raheny

Actually saw a taxi go through about 5 seconds after it turned red and I was almost half-way across about 2 weeks ago

Drove through a light on the N11 today, went amber when crossing. Still cars driving through when I was a further 250m down the road, zero f*cks given.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Drove through a light on the N11 today, went amber when crossing. Still cars driving through when I was a further 250m down the road, zero f*cks given.

Vaguely related, we have a "radiation" symbol yellow box markings on the roundabout near me. So it's okay to block the junction in the unmarked bits.
    : table_flip:

Idleater wrote: »
    Vaguely related, we have a "radiation" symbol yellow box markings on the roundabout near me. So it's okay to block the junction in the unmarked bits.
    : table_flip:

I always wonder how much of it is people being ass hats and how much is stupidity. For example, I come past a T Junction (a right turn on my road) which is traffic controlled. Every day, people get the green light and then stop on the red that relates to the straight through traffic. It is amazing that anyone even thinks it relates to them but they stop, block traffic and ignore the hullabaloo. I mean, I still laugh at the morons but I see it daily and don't pass at the same time every day. Which to me suggests it happens alot. Which implies, it's not the same morons. Occasionally I even see pedestrians trying to shout over and explain, and it's met with gawping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭plodder

Dump truck and towing a heavy load, probably going too fast to stop anyway. That's standard behavior for these cowboys. Just be thankful you didn't meet him earlier on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

plodder wrote: »
    Dump truck and towing a heavy load, probably going too fast to stop anyway. That's standard behavior for these cowboys. Just be thankful you didn't meet him earlier on that road.

This is just crazy stuff to see something that big ploughing on thru.. see this now so often, particularly at junction outside our place on Drummartin Link road crossing the Upr Kilmacud Rd.. coming down from Sandyford and going too fast to stop; I start to think ah sure maybe its not safe for them to stop so suddenly but then I think back how it was a few years back when Red light meant stop! It is just gone crazy now... its a race to the bottom now as driving has just got so aggressive and its every man and women driver for themselves without giving a toss for consequences to anyone around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is just crazy stuff to see something that big ploughing on thru.. see this now so often, particularly at junction outside our place on Drummartin Link road crossing the Upr Kilmacud Rd.. coming down from Sandyford and going too fast to stop; I start to think ah sure maybe its not safe for them to stop so suddenly but then I think back how it was a few years back when Red light meant stop! It is just gone crazy now... its a race to the bottom now as driving has just got so aggressive and its every man and women driver for themselves without giving a toss for consequences to anyone around them.
    And if you ask them about it afterwards, they'll tell you that 'they were caught by the red' as if the green light going amber/red came as a total surprise to them - never seen that before.

my favourite sopt again the other morning; waiting at the lights on east wall road, on the junction with itself; i.e. if i'd gone left i'd be heading for the port tunnel, but i was heading right to pass the point depot. anyway, the lights for crossing traffic go red, i clip in, start to move, and an aircoach went through the red about two seconds late. and a smaller coach obviously decided 'well, if he did it, so can i', and went through a second or two after the aircoach. maybe he was sucked along by the vortex created by the larger vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

my favourite sopt again the other morning; waiting at the lights on east wall road, on the junction with itself; i.e. if i'd gone left i'd be heading for the port tunnel, but i was heading right to pass the point depot. anyway, the lights for crossing traffic go red, i clip in, start to move, and an aircoach went through the red about two seconds late. and a smaller coach obviously decided 'well, if he did it, so can i', and went through a second or two after the aircoach. maybe he was sucked along by the vortex created by the larger vehicle.

I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and walking the short walk from Piccadilly Station to The Arndale Centre. Stopped at a set of pedestrian lights with about 20 others and plenty of traffic going through. Lights change for cars and immediately all the other pedestrians started to walk. Paddy here was the only person left standing there like an eejit. Never occurred to me that they actually stop at red lights in the UK so I didn't have to wait for 5 or 6 cars to go through like at home. It's shameful and embarassing really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

First morning back on the bike today in 2.5 weeks after being away for work. Noticed a huge shift in daylight, i.e. there was none. Dublin traffic did not disappoint, plenty of close passes, silly moves in the wet, a garda on a motorbike milling down the cycle track on the canal, and the icing on the cake, getting buzzed and beeped by a white van man in the bus lane between templeogue and terenure. I missed it all terribly while away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I always wonder how much of it is people being ass hats and how much is stupidity. For example, I come past a T Junction (a right turn on my road) which is traffic controlled. Every day, people get the green light and then stop on the red that relates to the straight through traffic....
    This. I'm noticing this more and more. ?!?

I see that a bit near us, they'll get a green and take the right and then drop anchor when they see red as they get around. Had a few wave me across the road while I was waiting to cross and I had to point to the red man and wave them on :rolleyes:

the staggered junction of holles street/merrion square east is chronic for people misreading lights, i've found.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3396876,-6.2464408,20z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Had a guy close the gap and pull in to the kerb just as I got to him this am, just got on the brakes in time went to overtake him on this outside and he sped up, got ahead of him full expecting him to be on his phone, but no just a prick who doesn't like bikes getting ahead in traffic. In fairness I've had more people make space than close it and usually closing it is due to being inattentive and on their phone in traffic.

On the misreading lights the worst junction has got to be the long mile and naas road coming from the nangor rd side. Almost every few minutes someone sees the next set go green and break a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and walking the short walk from Piccadilly Station to The Arndale Centre. Stopped at a set of pedestrian lights with about 20 others and plenty of traffic going through. Lights change for cars and immediately all the other pedestrians started to walk. Paddy here was the only person left standing there like an eejit. Never occurred to me that they actually stop at red lights in the UK so I didn't have to wait for 5 or 6 cars to go through like at home. It's shameful and embarassing really

Similar happened to me in Copenhagen in 2005 (almost 15yrs ago...ouch)
    I was waiting to cross a wide street in the city center with about 20 or so others at a pedestrian crossing.
    I saw a good gap in the traffic so started strolling across (as you do in Dublin), got about 2m out and realised no-one else was also crossing, felt real fear as i assumed a bus or something I hadn't seen was about to cream me out of it, because I could think of no other reason the rest wouldn't cross. Nope no bus coming just everyone else actually obeying the rules. Felt bad and kept going with my head down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Only that people seem to now wait a few seconds after the lights change there would have been a couple of serious collisions this morning.

At 2 different junctions today we had cars running red lights so late that the pedestrian/cycle lights had already gone green. At both junctions the cars went through at enough speed that if someone had stepped out they’d have been creamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭McGrath5

After cycling into work everyday last week on my hybrid, my road bike was looking a little bit neglected, so yesterday morning I decided to head out for decent spin too Howth.

Going through town heading north on the R137, a lovely taxi man in a Prius decided to invade the cycle lane, getting far too close to me for comfort. I knocked on his window, he looked back at me, sped off and I thought that was the end of it, how wrong was I.

A few hundred meters up the road, waiting at the lights to head onto Winetavern street, he leaned out and asked why I knocked on his window. I told him he was far too close to me and he was driving in the cycling lane. He then aggressively yelled at me that I was lucky "I have a fare, very lucky I have a fare", his 2 passengers were sitting in the back looking very perplexed as to what was going on. Anyway the lights turned green and I made my way on, not knowing what type of potential psychopath I could be dealing with.

So much for a stress free Sunday morning spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

McGrath5 wrote: »
    After cycling into work everyday last week on my hybrid, my road bike was looking a little bit neglected, so yesterday morning I decided to head out for decent spin too Howth.

Going through town heading north on the R137, a lovely taxi man in a Prius decided to invade the cycle lane, getting far too close to me for comfort. I knocked on his window, he looked back at me, sped off and I thought that was the end of it, how wrong was I.

A few hundred meters up the road, waiting at the lights to head onto Winetavern street, he leaned out and asked why I knocked on his window. I told him he was far too close to me and he was driving in the cycling lane. He then aggressively yelled at me that I was lucky "I have a fare, very lucky I have a fare", his 2 passengers were sitting in the back looking very perplexed as to what was going on. Anyway the lights turned green and I made my way on, not knowing what type of potential psychopath I could be dealing with.

So much for a stress free Sunday morning spin.

Did you get his taxi number? You can report him for abusing you i think. Particularly in front of a fare.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement