Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

vriesmays wrote: »
    It's a reason for the mental health issues in the young. They've rejected their beliefs for political correctness and materialism. Then they can't find their own purpose in the world and this causes anxiety.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some what disagree there, I'm agnostic, and I'd say my mental health issues are largely due to genetic disposition, and the fact I went most of my life without being diagnosed with autism and dyslexia, but of course I cant speak for all others with mental health issues

Have to disagree with both of you.

Speaking as an agnostic myself, I obviously reject the religion angle, but certainly understand why such belief would give someone succour in their hour of need. The "political correctness" comment doesn't apply, become the vast majority of folk don't care about that at all. But, I also don't believe that geneticism is the source of all mental health problems either.

Generally, people fall into mental health problems - mental health problems, not psychotic disorders - because the very real pressures of life can crush the heart and soul out of a person. Pressures of basic living, putting a roof over one's head, obtaining enough work to constantly cover ever increasing expenses, finding a partner to share your life with are all basic common needs and necessities that are becoming harder and harder to maintain and inevitably that has a very gradual and negative affect on one's disposition, which can lead to depression (not clinical) and despair. This despair can weigh heavily on a persons mind and slowly, over time, can completely overwhelm that mind.

Petty, so called, "societal" pressures too can have an eventual devastating affect on a persons mental health, if left unchecked. The pressure to look a certain way, the pressure "achieve" certain things and this bogus nonsense of always being told that more is everything, and that having more will solve all your problems, when their is ample proof that it doesn't.

But such malaises, as the above, can happen to even the most balanced consciousness. It doesn't have to stem from a genetic thread within ones family.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good debate on radio 1 regarding mental health

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

randd1 wrote: »
    It annoys me when I see some big fat one passed off as beautiful in some magazine because she shows off her rolls of flesh in a monster bikini.

She’s not beautiful, she’s obese. Fat shaming is important, because it might give people a bit of perspective that being obese is hardly good for you, or our health service for that matter.

Correct

Sick of paying for a seat on buses, trains etc and having some fat one not only take up their seat but half of mine that i paid for.

They are a burden on an already crippled health system.
    Sick of being told its a "gene problem" or some other nonsense when the reality is 95% or more are fat from sheer lazy idleness and gluttony and the wrong diet and stuffing themselves with sh1te.

Dont give me this big bone nonsense, I never seen a fat skeleton .
    I have seen people so obese and disgusting I could not even tell what sex they were as there was mounds of flesh, when they had more chins than a chinese phonebook.

No one goes to bed normal and wakes up fat, they allow it develop and then play the victim card.Of course in todays pc climate things like facts and truth are frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Mental illness doesn't exist; it's either a failure to adapt to society or symptoms of a physical illness.

Your first post.
    They do exist but they're not mental illnesses. They're side effects of physical illnesses.

That was your response to a poster asking if you were saying that schizophrenia and bipolar disorder don't exist.

Can you provide a source for your claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why should I, read up on it yourself.

• Advertisement

Why should I, read up on it yourself.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but your response proved that you haven't a clue what you are talking about. You made the claims and stated them as if they were fact. The burden of proof is on you to provide evidence of the claim and provide a source.

You're talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's a reason for the mental health issues in the young. They've rejected their beliefs for political correctness and materialism. Then they can't find their own purpose in the world and this causes anxiety.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some what disagree there, I'm agnostic, and I'd say my mental health issues are largely due to genetic disposition, and the fact I went most of my life without being diagnosed with autism and dyslexia, but of course I cant speak for all others with mental health issues

Have to disagree with both of you.

Speaking as an agnostic myself, I obviously reject the religion angle, but certainly understand why such belief would give someone succour in their hour of need. The "political correctness" comment doesn't apply, become the vast majority of folk don't care about that at all. But, I also don't believe that geneticism is the source of all mental health problems either.

Generally, people fall into mental health problems - mental health problems, not psychotic disorders - because the very real pressures of life can crush the heart and soul out of a person. Pressures of basic living, putting a roof over one's head, obtaining enough work to constantly cover ever increasing expenses, finding a partner to share your life with are all basic common needs and necessities that are becoming harder and harder to maintain and inevitably that has a very gradual and negative affect on one's disposition, which can lead to depression (not clinical) and despair. This despair can weigh heavily on a persons mind and slowly, over time, can completely overwhelm that mind.

Petty, so called, "societal" pressures too can have an eventual devastating affect on a persons mental health, if left unchecked. The pressure to look a certain way, the pressure "achieve" certain things and this bogus nonsense of always being told that more is everything, and that having more will solve all your problems, when their is ample proof that it doesn't.

But such malaises, as the above, can happen to even the most balanced consciousness. It doesn't have to stem from a genetic thread within ones family.
    Your post is extremely informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

No I'm not. You just don't want to think for yourself. There are loads of sources. Doctors use a manual which gets updated every few years. It's all made up. If I said homosexuality was a mental illness you'd report me yet it was a few decades back. Mental illness exists depending on what's acceptable by society at any time. It's mostly external factors that causes it and is a symptom of some undiagnosed physical illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hey, have you guys blocked me? Why is no one responding to my posts? :(

I can see your posts, F.

Not sure why no one is replying, perhaps they aren’t “engaging” enough?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I think everybody suffers from some sort of mental formality until they become middle aged grown up men.

Not all people get to this stage, not even most men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

storker wrote: »
    Fine but I was responding to a post about fashion statements.

You mistook "statements" for "fashion statements".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:
    No I'm not. You just don't want to think for yourself. There are loads of sources. Doctors use a manual which gets updated every few years. It's all made up. If I said homosexuality was a mental illness you'd report me yet it was a few decades back. Mental illness exists depending on what's acceptable by society at any time. It's mostly external factors that causes it and is a symptom of some undiagnosed physical illness.

What health practice do you work for, your licence clearly needs to be revoked, fcuking hell!

Your posts are juvenile and uneducated.

You should take your own advice of thinking for yourself instead of reading nonsensical online fisher price documents or articles. Next time you copy and paste from an opinion piece online, make sure you are able to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

You mistook "statements" for "fashion statements".

In your post, yes, but not in the post the provides the context...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111473647&postcount=873

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

People who constantly give out about fat people secretly want to fcuk them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

All of my unpopular opinions would cause me to be site banned.

pinkyeye wrote: »

only a fat person would say something that stupid.

You can spit your nonsense, but I spoke facts.
    There are no fat skeleton
    They are a burden on the health system
    It is self inflicted
    They die younger.

So go ahead and counter facts with your nonsense cos you are fat and your feeling are hurt by the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

only a fat person would say something that stupid.

You can spit your nonsense, but I spoke facts.
    There are no fat skeleton
    They are a burden on the health system
    It is self inflicted
    They die younger.

So go ahead and counter facts with your nonsense cos you are fat and your feeling are hurt by the truth

Not fat at all, just not bothered about others being fat in the slightest, has no effect on my life. :rolleyes:

Not fat at all, just not bothered about others being fat in the slightest, has no effect on my life. :rolleyes:

Wait til you hurt yourself and go to A+E and the queue is out the door due to obese people with self inflicted problems causing you to wait longer

Wait til you are sitting on a bus and some fat heifer lands her carcass on her seat and basically crushes you against the window.

Think how they smell of sweat and the affect it has on your nostrils.

You cannot even buy a 2 litre of the proper coke anymore , and chocolate bars are made smaller all because obese disgustingly fat whales are so busy stuffing themselves people who work out and keep fit must miss out because of their gluttony.

There are kids who are humongous sat at home all day stuffing their fat faces because parents are afraid to let them out and exercise, I doubt even paedos would touch them.

Can you catch cancer from the effect fat peoples sweat has on your nostrils?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The youth of today are less trouble than in the past. 30,40,50 years ago they were out roaming around in gangs causing annoyance to the older folk, or causing football hooliganism.

These days the youngsters are mostly inside playing with their phones. The ones complaining about them now, were probably some of the troublemakers when they were young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Wait til you hurt yourself and go to A+E and the queue is out the door due to obese people with self inflicted problems causing you to wait longer

Wait til you are sitting on a bus and some fat heifer lands her carcass on her seat and basically crushes you against the window.

Think how they smell of sweat and the affect it has on your nostrils.

You cannot even buy a 2 litre of the proper coke anymore , and chocolate bars are made smaller all because obese disgustingly fat whales are so busy stuffing themselves people who work out and keep fit must miss out because of their gluttony.

There are kids who are humongous sat at home all day stuffing their fat faces because parents are afraid to let them out and exercise, I doubt even paedos would touch them.

The amount of money spent in the health service treating lifestyle-related disease is frightening and that of course affects everybody else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

When you make a completely stupid statement like that you just reveal yourself as someone with all the mental capacity of a cane toad.

Rodin wrote: »
    The amount of money spent in the health service treating lifestyle-related disease is frightening and that of course affects everybody else

Absolutely correct

Sadly in todays climate blaming obese gluttonous whales for their own problems will get you slated.

Truth these days is not welcome for fear someone might have their feelings hurt.

Guy Person wrote: »
    When you make a completely stupid statement like that you just reveal yourself as someone with all the mental capacity of a cane toad.

maybe you are right, I dont know what goes through the mind of a paedo,

Do you ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The 3 large cappuccino a day from the petrol station crowd.
    2 sugars in each

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The 3 large cappuccino a day from the petrol station crowd.
    2 sugars in each

That’s what goes through the mind of a peedo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

maybe you are right, I dont know what goes through the mind of a paedo,

Do you ?
    You suggested fat kids wouldn't get molested by paedos, so if they lose weight (which is what you want) I guess they will by your dumb logic. I'll take the ban/card/sanction that comes with calling that a stupid opinion from a complete and total fool.

I will not be responding to you again so if you want to get the last word in have at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

If I was a paedo, I wouldn’t touch a fat little PS4 playing bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't agree with the Health At Every Size movement or hugely obese people like Tess Holliday glamourising being the weight she is but shaming people isn't going to make them lose weight. Just like shaming smokers or alcoholics doesn't make them change, people will only lose weight if they want to. Obesity is a huge problem but I don't know what the solution is.

Advertisement