Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Three issues there.

The first is that I am not convinced at all it has become more of an issue. I am not sure what stats you are drawing from here. Rather we seem to have merely become more aware of it, are more open about it, diagnose it better and are more inclined to talk about it.

Secondly even if it was more of an issue, the link to faith is a correlation/causation assumption that I do not think is warranted. There are any number of reasons and influences for why mental health might be more of an issue, if we were to assume it is actually more of an issue. I see no reason to link it to a drop in faith at all.

Thirdly I am not even sure how safe the claim is that the majority have lost faith. I genuinely do not know the current statistics or which ones you are using here. The last ones I saw were.... odd.... and hard to parse. But they did not suggest the majority had lost faith. And even those who have moved away from a particular church or other, still seem to profess a faith.

Whatever the solution to mental health issues are though, I am not sure lying to oneself is the right medicine to advocate to deal with it.

I'd say a lot of people lost trust in man made institutions than lost faith completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

There are mental health advantages in believing in God, because making room in one’s mind for the existence of an invisible unconditionally loving being in whom we can trust gives us a certain feeling of security and hope in that no matter what goes wrong in life there is every possibility of future contentment. Mental health has become more of an issue now that the majority have no faith.

I always remember one the the last things my mother said, aged 89, not long before she died, “please do not take my faith away, I could lose it if persuaded. Please try and have some faith, try not to be dissuaded by tbe currency of disbelief, yourself because even if you are in the depths of despair you can always pray”.

In the modern reductionist world we live in anything that can't be backed up by hard science is scoffed at, therefore God doesn't exist because it can't be proved scientifically he does.

Some time back on boards I recounted a story where a deceased pilot had appeared to another alive pilot outside Glasgow Airport where they had engaged in a short conversation before passing on their 'respective ways'. This story also formed part of a documentary series on Channel 4.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12118487.former-pilot-tells-of-ghostly-meeting-with-dead-colleague/

Clearly such a story is not evidence of a god of any description, but it does contradict the reductionist point of view and points up that we are spirits as well as bodies with brains. Consequently I've no bother believing in the probability God exists, whatever he/she/it actually is. Your mother had it right in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

railer201 wrote: »
    Some time back on boards I recounted a story where a deceased pilot had appeared to another alive pilot outside Glasgow Airport where they had engaged in a short conversation before passing on their 'respective ways'.

Oh, well in that case, clearly my whole materialist worldview has been refuted, since you heard a ghost story.

Oh, well in that case, clearly my whole materialist worldview has been refuted, since you heard a ghost story.

My apologies, I'm sure you'll get over it - mysterious ways etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

He calls round and drinks a few cans with me every couple of weeks. Course I believe. He's real but he's a bit of a dick like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Still open to the idea of some form of cosmic consciousness (God) but I think it unlikely.

We still don't know the underlying base of physics, also don't know how consciousness exists.

Neither reasons form a basis for the existence of God though.

Ignorence is never an argument for anything, in my opinion.

I'm more with Einstein than Gödel with this one.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm more with Einstein than Gödel with this one.

I mean, not the paternal, carer kind of god, more of an intrinsic intelligence. But not directed.

I don't think there is any purpose.

Ipso wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people lost trust in man made institutions than lost faith completely.

I think that is very true.

Newton is hard to shake off.

But we know that the model is not quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Why do people who dont believe in God keep on about it 24/7. Just let it go and move on. I'm glad I believe in God. I enjoy mass every Saturday night in whitefriar street which is usually packed. So theres no need to keep on about it. There are still plenty of happy Catholics in Ireland. Move on . You really wont be missed. Life is for living!. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

In the modern reductionist world we live in anything that can't be backed up by hard science is scoffed at, therefore God doesn't exist because it can't be proved scientifically he does.

I wonder if you are strawmaning a little there though. Take me for example. Nowhere in this thread have I demanded specifically scientific evidence for a god. Yet quite often I get accused of having done just that.

What I DO say is that I have never seen any argument, evidence, data OR reasoning to suggest the explanation for our existence lies in the machinations of a non-human, intelligent, intentional agent.

I do not mention science there at all, do I? Yet quite often I hear this "You only want science!" response.
    it does contradict the reductionist point of view and points up that we are spirits as well as bodies with brains.

Except such a story does not such thing.

I could recount a story of someone who was abducted by aliens. That does not mean there are aliens. I can recount a story of someone who is convinced they remember a past life. That does not mean reincarnation exists. I can recount a story of someone who talked to tiny little people. That does not mean there are fairies.

People see weird stuff, or see normal stuff and parse it weirdly, all the time. In isolation such anecdote is not evidence of anything except the fallibility of human perception. Even if we automatically assume the anecdote is true and truthful.

Why do people who dont believe in God keep on about it 24/7.

Few of them do. Rather when a thread on the actual topic comes up, we happily partake in it. Much different really. Your post is a bit like walking specifically into a bar and saying "Why are people drinking all the time" or specifically into a thread about the US presidency and saying "Why are people going on about Trump all the time".

So the "let it go and move on" mantra would be better applied to yourself. As by entering a thread specifically on the topic to moan that people are discussing the topic..... it is really only you manufacturing an issue out of it.

That said however in my real life......
    Just let it go and move on.

...... I would happily never discuss god or religion ever again or have anything to do with it. Alas I am simply not let! In all the subjects I AM invested and active in.... science, education, sexuality, womens rights, human rights, childrens rights, reproductive rights, politics and much more..... the parties of god are only too keen to shove their faith in my face and in the discourse in our halls of education, power and science.

And as long as that keeps occurring, I will have to keep dealing with religion and the claims about gods.

It is not atheists either.... since you are imagining people going on 24/7 who actually don't........ going door to door to Interrupt your day with their "good news" or standing on street corners with megaphones throwing out threats against your well being to repent or burn. The most atheists have is an information table once a week with no megaphones.

So. Move on. You really wont be missed. Life is for living! Enjoy.

Why do people who dont believe in God keep on about it 24/7. Just let it go and move on. I'm glad I believe in God. I enjoy mass every Saturday night in whitefriar street which is usually packed. So theres no need to keep on about it. There are still plenty of happy Catholics in Ireland. Move on . You really wont be missed. Life is for living!. Enjoy

It shows a lack of confidence in their binary decision that there is no God, so they feel the need to constantly reassure themselves by arguing with those who do believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The Abrahamic Atheist.

Most Atheists are more obsessed with the Abrahamic God than any other God.

I suppose I can see why they can't get their heads around the fact someone would worship what can be only described as a misogynistic, sociopathic, bipolar sand demon from a foreign land.

The Abrahamic God, a God of hate, destruction and war...

The day I had enough of that sand demon Jehova was the day I started to get enlightenment...

Except such a story does not such thing.

I could recount a story of someone who was abducted by aliens. That does not mean there are aliens. I can recount a story of someone who is convinced they remember a past life. That does not mean reincarnation exists. I can recount a story of someone who talked to tiny little people. That does not mean there are fairies.

People see weird stuff, or see normal stuff and parse it weirdly, all the time. In isolation such anecdote is not evidence of anything except the fallibility of human perception. Even if we automatically assume the anecdote is true and truthful.

You have to be careful of confirmation bias though, which applies equally to atheists and believers. The one story is merely an example, but if you are the investigative type of person, genuinely open to the possibility of believing, at a minimum, there is 'something out there' then I would suggest reading the following book. 'Apparitions and Haunted Houses' by Sir Ernest Bennett - A survey of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

God ( of the Bible, torah, Koran) is the biggest mass murderer in history

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Without a doubt and supposedly he then decides not only is there suffering on earth, but he'll wake you up again and have you tortured for all eternity..

Now think about that, if he's not happy with your lifestyle you're going to be screaming in pain for ever and ever.....

But sure he's a great guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

And mass murderer's don't exist either therefore..... oh wait!!

There's a lot people base their belief (or lack of) in God based on Religion which is man made, RC church, their perception of what the bible says etc.

If God, heaven, hell etc. exist or not surely doesn't depend on how you feel about them wether you like it or not.

I've never met or seen Donal Trump for example. Politics aside I don't particularly like the man. I do believe he exists thought. I could say the same about South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Do I believe in god(s)? No

Do I believe that anyone who believes in god(s) is a little silly? Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Also they made sure god was a dude - suits the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Why do people who dont believe in God keep on about it 24/7.

Few of them do. Rather when a thread on the actual topic comes up, we happily partake in it. Much different really. Your post is a bit like walking specifically into a bar and saying "Why are people drinking all the time" or specifically into a thread about the US presidency and saying "Why are people going on about Trump all the time".

So the "let it go and move on" mantra would be better applied to yourself. As by entering a thread specifically on the topic to moan that people are discussing the topic..... it is really only you manufacturing an issue out of it.

That said however in my real life......
    Just let it go and move on.

...... I would happily never discuss god or religion ever again or have anything to do with it. Alas I am simply not let! In all the subjects I AM invested and active in.... science, education, sexuality, womens rights, human rights, childrens rights, reproductive rights, politics and much more..... the parties of god are only too keen to shove their faith in my face and in the discourse in our halls of education, power and science.

And as long as that keeps occurring, I will have to keep dealing with religion and the claims about gods.

It is not atheists either.... since you are imagining people going on 24/7 who actually don't........ going door to door to Interrupt your day with their "good news" or standing on street corners with megaphones throwing out threats against your well being to repent or burn. The most atheists have is an information table once a week with no megaphones.

So. Move on. You really wont be missed. Life is for living! Enjoy.
    The title of the thread is " do you believe in God ". My answer and millions of others is YES. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

I, like a lot of others, am a lapsed catholic.

I've chosen to keep an open mind about the existence of a god or a higher power.

Agnostisicm is the safest bet in my view. How do humans confirm the existence or non existence of god? I don't believe we can at this stage. So I find it best to keep an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Not true.

Some of the followers of the gods you mention have committed mass murder in the name of their gods.

Therefore, it's the followers (i.e humans) that are the greatest mass murderers in history.

Not true.

Some of the followers of the gods you mention have committed mass murder in the name of their gods.

Therefore, it's the followers (i.e humans) that are the greatest mass murderers in history.

With the help of their holy book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Not true.

What about the plagues of Egypt, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Great Flood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What would a world with out God and relegion look like probably won't happen in my life time but the way things are going it will probably take another 50 or 100 years to get rid of this nothion of a God or religion.

The title of the thread is " do you believe in God ". My answer and millions of others is YES. !

Which is absolutely fine. That was not what you wrote in the previous post which I replied to though, now was it?
    You have to be careful of confirmation bias though, which applies equally to atheists and believers.

Not really equal. Taking an anecdote and saying it shows X is much more subject to confirmation bias as taking the anecdote and saying it could show anything, but there is no evidence it specifically shows X.
    'Apparitions and Haunted Houses' by Sir Ernest Bennett - A survey of evidence.

You would do well not to assume I have not read it and many books similar. I have long read books on NDE, haunting, reincarnation, psychics, spirits, the supernatural, the paranormal and more.

I have yet to find any evidence in such books that any of it is anything more than human experience. And quite often the anecdotes surveyed in such books are just that, anecdotes, without any supporting evidence or fact. What did you find the most compelling evidence in that book yourself?

Worse when any kind of controls are put into place to deal with such evidence, the evidence disappears. For example with OBE a scientist called Sam Parnia put some pretty good controls into place to try and find evidence people actually were leaving their body. As yet this scientist.... one heavily biased towards believing there is an after life.... has failed to find any that I have heard of.

Worse again when people give me such book titles and I ask them for the most compelling evidence for the book they named, I get some awful replies usually. There was a user, long since left the forum, who I asked this about his evidence for Reincarnation. He said there was LOADS so I asked him for the best he had.

What did he give me? A small girl in a foreign country who was able to talk a long dead language "fluently" despite there being no possible way she could have learned it. What did I find after 5 minutes of researching it? Turns out she did not speak it fluently but about as well as a 2 year old might. And also turns out her own father studied both the long dead people AND their language. So much for "fluently" and "could not have learned it" huh?

Which is absolutely fine. That was not what you wrote in the previous post which I replied to though, now was it?

Not really equal. Taking an anecdote and saying it shows X is much more subject to confirmation bias as taking the anecdote and saying it could show anything, but there is no evidence it specifically shows X.

You would do well not to assume I have not read it and many books similar. I have long read books on NDE, haunting, reincarnation, psychics, spirits, the supernatural, the paranormal and more.

I have yet to find any evidence in such books that any of it is anything more than human experience. And quite often the anecdotes surveyed in such books are just that, anecdotes, without any supporting evidence or fact.

Worse when any kind of controls are put into place to deal with such evidence, the evidence disappears. For example with OBE a scientist called Sam Parnia put some pretty good controls into place to try and find evidence people actually were leaving their body. As yet this scientist.... one heavily biased towards believing there is an after life.... has failed to find any that I have heard of.

That's it, close shop.
    The debate is over the vampire is right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I am a mirror image of god. “Woof!”

Advertisement