Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

nthclare wrote: »
    Most Atheists are more obsessed with the Abrahamic God than any other God.

Only in societies where the theists are more obsessed with the Abrahamic God than any other.

If you go to, say, India would you not find the atheists THERE are most concerned with the gods the theists THERE are concerned with??? :confused:
    That's it, close shop.
    The debate is over the vampire is right :)

Hah a supernatural being denying evidence of the supernatural does have a comedic ring to it. Wasn't there an atheist vampire in Discworld novels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Marhay70 wrote: »
    What about the plagues of Egypt, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Great Flood?

Not acts of mass murder.

Natural disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

With the help of their holy book :)

The book didnt kill anyone. People did.

God may have been used as the excuse or justification but it comes down to people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    God ( of the Bible, torah, Koran) is the biggest mass murderer in history

Without a doubt and supposedly he then decides not only is there suffering on earth, but he'll wake you up again and have you tortured for all eternity..

Now think about that, if he's not happy with your lifestyle you're going to be screaming in pain for ever and ever.....

But sure he's a great guy

Worst part is the jazz about how free will means a child can die of hunger or have an insect eat it's eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I pray my own prayers for people and myself out of habit, and in case they are being heard.

Do you think that your god does favours for people - cures the diseases that he created or helps people to do better in exams than their peers who worked harder - based on the quality and quantity of prayers received?

So if you're unlucky enough to have mostly non-practicing friends and family, you're less likely to be cured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find it odd that a lot of Irish religious people seem to assume that if you are Irish, you share their religion.
    In conversation, they will constantly refer to their god, offering to pray for people and such or offering religious based "inspirational quotes".
    While this doesn't bother me, per se, I can't help thinking that if I casually dropped my belief that there is no god into conversation with strangers, then many religious people would take offence and probably comment on my actions.
    Why are my beliefs seen as disrespectful by many religious people?

Came across an interesting example of this only yesterday.
    A neighbour did a good deed for another neighbour. As a thank you, the second neighbour bought a bunch of flowers and a mass card with a long inscription going on about god and prayer. The neighbour who did the good deed is an atheist.
    Now, no one got upset over this and it was a well meant and rather sweet act but imagine if the roles were reversed and the religious person was sent an atheist themed thank you card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭its_steve116

No. But be nice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No. But be nice anyway.

Oh, I wouldn't turn on someone for saying these kind of things, they are usually well meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Not acts of mass murder.

Natural disasters.[/QUOTE

That may be the modern theory but according to the book on which the Abrahamic faiths are based they were direct acts of God.
    Do you cherrypick other events mentioned in the Bible to believe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I find it odd that a lot of Irish religious people seem to assume that if you are Irish, you share their religion.
    In conversation, they will constantly refer to their god, offering to pray for people and such or offering religious based "inspirational quotes".
    While this doesn't bother me, per se, I can't help thinking that if I casually dropped my belief that there is no god into conversation with strangers, then many religious people would take offence and probably comment on my actions.
    Why are my beliefs seen as disrespectful by many religious people?

Came across an interesting example of this only yesterday.
    A neighbour did a good deed for another neighbour. As a thank you, the second neighbour bought a bunch of flowers and a mass card with a long inscription going on about god and prayer. The neighbour who did the good deed is an atheist.
    Now, no one got upset over this and it was a well meant and rather sweet act but imagine if the roles were reversed and the religious person was sent an atheist themed thank you card!

Well, it isn't reversible that way, but I take your point.

It seems to me though that people in my circle are by default non believers or atheists, or something like that, when they do vocalise it.

Of course, you get an element of 'I believe in something' too.

It's a bit of a change when back in my college days of 1990 something, to say that you're not a Christian was something to be shocked about.

And these were science students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Not really, he or she is a fictional character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Seem to have a lot of people here with mental health issues.
    All these people condemning a God whom they don't believe exists for things he did or didn't do. Since they believe He doesn't exist, how could He be guilty of "mass murder" , inflicting pain etc.?
    It's a case of mass delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

All these people condemning a God whom they don't believe exists for things he did or didn't do. Since they believe He doesn't exist, how could He be guilty of "mass murder" , inflicting pain etc.?

Hardly. In school I wrote long essays on whether we could morally forgive or judge Silas Marner. We debated each others essays too. And the teacher had us write more essays taking the perspective of others, or critiquing the perspective of others.

So I wrote page after page after page judging this persons actions, moral character, and situation.

At not one point during the process was I required to believe Silas Marner was a real person. Nor was my not thinking of him as a real person an issue in being able to write those essays.

There is nothing wrong with critiquing the moral character and actions of imaginary characters. People watching soap operas do it all the time for example.

You throw around labels like "Mental health issues" way too readily. Throwing it like confetti at things people do ALL the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheRodgers

no but i will be pleasantly surprised if there does turn out to be one when i kick the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And on the flip side

All these people praying to a God whom they believe exists for things he did or didn't do. Since they believe He does exist, how could He drown the wirlds population, allow wars, famine, cancer in innocent children etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

And on the flip side

But He is real :)

As for wars and famines.. are they not cause by men. We all know there's enough food in the world go feed the world.

As for the flood. We've not yet seen a world that was so evil that it was beyond redemption....Don't worry, it's coming again. Society is breaking down at a pace we've never experienced before. The time will come when He says enough for a second time and then He will come and burn it up and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In your mind
    As for wars and famines.. are they not cause by men. We all know there's enough food in the world go feed the world.

How does man cause a famine? It's mans fault it doesn't rain/crops fail?
    As for the flood. We've not yet seen a world that was so evil that it was beyond redemption....Don't worry, it's coming again. Society is breaking down at a pace we've never experienced before. The time will come when He says enough for a second time and then He will come and burn it up and start again.

Because it says so in a book, you (wrongly) say other people have mental health issues yet see nothing wrong with (selectively) believing the words in a book.

But it's you and others like you who believe this stuff. We are just pointing out the reasons why the idea of what you portray as a loving and protective deity are contradicted by the very book you choose to evidence that.
    When you are captured as a 4/5year old child and force fed this stuff by who you see as the most powerful and influential people in your life, with the threat of millenia of torment to come if you don't accept it, then it's easy to see why some of this stuff sticks. Were it not for this legal and state sponsored mental terrorism then I reckon that the poll in real life would be a lot more conclusive on the "no" side than the one on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As for wars and famines.. are they not cause by men.
    Is childhood cancer caused by men too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I believe in some sort of powerful beings, not necessarily a GOD in the sense. There must be something big out there that contributed to us being on this big rock in space... No one knows how big space is or why it's there. We will find out when we die I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

WhAt if god was one of us?

Your interpretation of real.

Wow I can't believe an AH thread on the existence, or not, of God hasn't finally and conclusively been settled.

It's almost like the existence of God is unprovable, and people should just let others have their opinion as long as they're not hurting anyone.

No, that can't be. I'm sure it'll be settled tonight and we'll all put it there, and then we'll start resolving the meaning of life, global warming, quantum field theory and whether Roy Keane should have stayed in Saipan. With a bit of effort we should be put of here before lunchtime tomorrow chaps. Let's focus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    WhAt if god was one of us?
    Like a stranger on the bus?

• Does anyone believe in life and love?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

mondeo wrote: »
    I believe in some sort of powerful beings, not necessarily a GOD in the sense. There must be something big out there that contributed to us being on this big rock in space... No one knows how big space is or why it's there. We will find out when we die I guess.

I am glad you said guess,it is very likely that there is nothing after death and unles there is some evidence to the contrary i will assume death is the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Do you believe in life after love?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm surprised that there has been no mention here (in this or other threads) about the canonisation of John Henry Newman in Rome today. He converted from Church of England to Catholicism, came to Ireland and founded the Catholic University which later became UCD.

There are articles like this one complaining about UCD's lack of enthusiam in celebrating its founder becoming a saint, as if that's a symptom of the secularisation of Ireland. Well, maybe it is, and isn't that a good thing? We no longer think of UCD as a Catholic university, any more than we think of TCD as a Protestant university - which it was for most of its existence. Of all places, you would hope that universities would be above religion.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

beejee wrote: »
    Do you believe in life after love?

I really don’t think I’m strong enough, no. The god question is a difficult one and should probably remain unanswered but I do often the urge to “repent” if I feel I am veering into bad territory. Will it absolve my sins, probably not but I get a sense it might help steer me back on the right track to a degree and so I do feel I need some semblance of “god” in my life.

Does anyone else still bless themselves when an ambulance goes by?

Advertisement