Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan Shark Needed - URGENT Ex gambled all my money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sammyy24

They have made a note of it but the guy I was dealing with said not to get my hopes up as I basically gave him permission to use my bank account, I have made a statement though

If only things were that simple, I would lose my job if I moved home, my dad lives in the middle of nowhere in Roscommon, 40 minutes from the nearest town, I need my job to pay everyone back. If it means sleeping in my car I'll do it as long as they are paid back, a loan shark or doorstep loan would have just taken the pressure off a bit

I couldn't do that to him, he is battling an illness himself so has maxed out pretty much everything he owns and is going through an awful divorce with my birth giver who is taking him for everything he has.

I can't put this stress on him which is why I wanted to find a cash loan to get him paid back :/

Thank you though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sammyy24 wrote: »
    If only things were that simple, I would lose my job if I moved home, my dad lives in the middle of nowhere in Roscommon, 40 minutes from the nearest town, I need my job to pay everyone back. If it means sleeping in my car I'll do it as long as they are paid back, a loan shark or doorstep loan would have just taken the pressure off a bit
    It really, really wouldn't.

Put all thoughts of those out of your head, and keep being creative.

Appealing to the landlord sounds like your best bet. The fact that s/he allowed you to move in on a partial deposit at all suggests that they're not a vindictive automaton and might actually be inclined to help.

You'd want to ensure it doesn't just sound like a scam though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

First time i have genuinely felt sorry for someone on here Sammy.

Hope you get it sorted.

My advice would be upfront and honest with the landlord. People are generally nice and i'm sure she will be empathetic to your situation. Tell her it'll be paid back in the next two months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Surely you could get any sort of a job close to home?

I would have my dad and brother paid back so much quicker though with the job I have, as I get paid back weekly it would only take 3ish weeks, at least they would be okay, I don't care too much about what happens to me but I can't let my stupidity impact their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

First time i have genuinely felt sorry for someone on here Sammy.

Hope you get it sorted.

My advice would be upfront and honest with the landlord. People are generally nice and i'm sure she will be empathetic to your situation. Tell her it'll be paid back in the next two months

At the same time, the optics of what has happened may spook your landlord.

Is it possible to try to pull out of the let, get the money back paid to date and move into the family home or with a friend temporarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't those payday lenders still exist, Wonga?
    Now, with the interest they charge, they are no better than a money lender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Asking your bank manager for a short term overdraft or maxing out your credit card aren't options I assume?

I doubt very much that the Community Welfare Officer (part of Social Welfare) can help you out. And even if s/he could, you'd have to call into the public office and wait for hours which you may not be able to do.

• Advertisement

Thanks Stevieluvsye.

I am going to speak with her in the next hour and see what happens, I really hope she will be okay with it, technically she has €250 and the first month's rent, I'll plead and see what happens. If i'm in my car I'm in my car, all I care about is getting my family paid back

Thanks Stevieluvsye.

I am going to speak with her in the next hour and see what happens, I really hope she will be okay with it, technically she has €250 and the first month's rent, I'll plead and see what happens. If i'm in my car I'm in my car, all I care about is getting my family paid back

Best of luck. You were dealt a bad hand with your Ex but you'll more than likely find your LL will be understandable about the situation. I know i would be anyway

At the same time, the optics of what has happened may spook your landlord.

Is it possible to try to pull out of the let, get the money back paid to date and move into the family home or with a friend temporarily?

My family home is 2 and a half hours away and tbh I don't really have any friends and the odd one or two I have live in Waterford and Cork. I did ask a few coworkers but they said no.

I have gone over the lease but it states if I leave without giving 30 days notice they will keep the deposit

Portsalon wrote: »
    Asking your bank manager for a short term overdraft or maxing out your credit card aren't options I assume?

I doubt very much that the Community Welfare Officer (part of Social Welfare) can help you out. And even if s/he could, you'd have to call into the public office and wait for hours which you may not be able to do.

They refused, stupidly, when his gambling was bad and he used all his money, he would use my bank account so you could see the gambling transactions so the bank won't help at all, yeah I work 9-5 so after getting an advance, there's no way my boss would let me leave

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Please change your pin and bank account access details so he can't get anymore from you. Really hope you can get sorted, best of luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I know it depends on the repayment time, but if one borrows 1k from a loan shark, how much are you expected to pay back ?
    2k ?

I looked into Wonga but I don't think they are active anymore, Amigo loans need a guarantor and my one friend I asked refused

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

In the first post you sold your car and further down the thread you say you are putting your car for sale.

A tall tale for a wet day I reckon.
    1/10

I know it depends on the repayment time, but if one borrows 1k from a loan shark, how much are you expected to pay back ?
    2k ?

This is what I was quoted from Amigo:

Borrowing €1,000 over 36 months, repaying €48.79 per month, total repayable €1,756.44. Interest rate 49.9% (fixed).

In the first post you sold your car and further down the thread you say you are putting your car for sale.

A tall tale for a wet day I reckon.
    1/10

I wish, unfortunately I am one of these stupid women who buys things for her partner, I bought him a car last year and sold it when this happened, it was in my name, it was only a crappy Peugeot. I still have my golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When did he become your ex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

put the link up to your go fund me OP,

a few off here could donate to you

pc7 wrote: »
    Please change your pin and bank account access details so he can't get anymore from you. Really hope you can get sorted, best of luck op.

Thank you.

I set up a new bank account last week, I am just waiting to get the new card. That means alot, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You could try a pawn shop. Where I live they will hold onto the item(s) for a specific length of time, and then sell them off if you don't have the funds by then. No idea how long that is, might be enough time to tide you over.

lawred2 wrote: »
    When did he become your ex?

On the 8th, the day I moved in

I don't really have anything of value though, what kind of stuff would they take? I have a phone but it's cracked and my lifeline right now, I also have a laptop, the only thing is it's really old, like an old Toshiba?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

gwalk wrote: »
    put the link up to your go fund me OP,

a few off here could donate to you

God bless the innocence.
    How do you know it’s not all a load of sh1te.
    Maybe it’s her is gambling and is looking for money through the go fund me.
    I’m not buying any of the story.
    Cars sold but still for sale.
    No ta.

I don't really have anything of value though, what kind of stuff would they take? I have a phone but it's cracked and my lifeline right now, I also have a laptop, the only thing is it's really old, like an old Toshiba?

Toshiba laptop, hmmmmmmmmmmm you'd probably get a pat on the back for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Been in in far worse situations. Focus on making it better not worse. Avoid any debt.

The only priority is to secure your income and accommodation in the short term.

First - assume zero assistance from anybody (already evident)
    I would immediately focus on finding alternative accommodation just for you in a houseshare.
    I would plead with the landlady to stay but not expect much (considering she has half a deposit and is missing one paying tenant).
    If it comes to it and I had to move out, I would stay in car in quiet part of a nice housing estate temporarily. Moving about as necessary until you have sufficient funds for deposit and rent.
    Shower in work and shower in PAYG gyms if not showers in work.

I would listen to my ex when they said they were not good enough for me and have zero contact and cut off all access to accounts even if it means closing and reopening in different bank and changing phone numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

God bless the innocence.
    How do you know it’s not all a load of sh1te.
    Maybe it’s her is gambling and is looking for money through the go fund me.
    I’m not buying any of the story.
    Cars sold but still for sale.
    No ta.

Think she said she sold her ex's car but still has her own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement