Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There is no challenge. Life will go on as it is, apart from the extra taxes on Joe and Josephine Soap. No one cares about climate change. It's happened since the earth first appeared. Crusties gonna crust.

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

And when did they slow you down exactly and by how long? I'm just trying to figure out why you hate them so much you want them beaten up by the police, it's very odd.

Must be very unlucky to keep needing to go down the roads where they are at the exact same time they are there.

The "why are they protesting when the own consumer items" hot take was boring 15 years ago when it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s important for people to see how quickly the official spokesperson for ER folds under questioning by someone armed with cold hard facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1TTcETyuU&feature=share

Choosing to irritate and obstruct ordinary people going about their lives is wrong. They stopped people on public transport and indeed abused people going to work on bicycles.
    This is disruption for the sake of disruption and nothing else.

The alarmist message they are peddling has been proven wrong. Their spokesperson admitted they were just using alarmist numbers and language to get attention. That’s fundamentally the wrong way to get public attention and support. The vast majority of the coverage they have received has been in relation to how unhinges their theory is and how unreasonable they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s important for people to see how quickly the official spokesperson for ER folds under questioning by someone armed with cold hard facts.

Choosing to irritate and obstruct ordinary people going about their lives is wrong. They stopped people on public transport and indeed abused people going to work on bicycles.

The alarmist message they are peddling has been proven wrong. Their spokesperson admitted they were just using alarmist numbers and language to get attention. That’s fundamentally the wrong way to get public attention and support. The vast majority of the coverage they have received has been in relation to how unhinges their theory is and how unreasonable they are.

This is the problem - when these 'experts' are confronted with scientific facts, they crumble.

She says 'alarmist' language works. Who the f*ck do these people think they are spouting BS like this. They are spreading fear and panic through lies and nonsense statements.

'I'm not here to come up with solutions' she says. Then what the f*ck are you doing? What do you actually want? What is your objective?

'Aviation needs to be shut down to reach targets by 2025' yet doing this would reduce temperatures by 0.03%. What. The. F*ck.

These people are bonafide idiots, capitalising on a dumb down generation of people who can't think objectively for themselves through the proliferation of smart phones and social media.

But people will keep listening to this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Crusties gonna crust.

True. There will be more nonsense in ten years after this climate bunkum is forgotten. I have no idea what it will be called. They've all failed though - Occupy, Reclaim the streets, Extinction Rebellion, whatever your're having yourself.

People simply don't relate to crusties and their idiocy. They just want to live their lives in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

20Cent wrote: »
    The "why are they protesting when the own consumer items" hot take was boring 15 years ago when it started.

Only because it hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Keyzer wrote: »
    This is the problem - when these 'experts' are confronted with scientific facts, they crumble.

She says 'alarmist' language works. Who the f*ck do these people think they are spouting BS like this. They are spreading fear and panic through lies and nonsense statements.

'I'm not here to come up with solutions' she says. Then what the f*ck are you doing? What do you actually want? What is your objective?

'Aviation needs to be shut down to reach targets by 2025' yet doing this would reduce temperatures by 0.03%. What. The. F*ck.

These people are bonafide idiots, capitalising on a dumb down generation of people who can't think objectively for themselves through the proliferation of smart phones and social media.

But people will keep listening to this crap.

I know people will say “well at least they are out doing something”

But that’s not true. They are damaging any potential rational factual conversation with the general public, they are muddying the scientific facts with alarmist nonsense pretending it’s accepted fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fixed that for you. I don't think I've much in common with crusty wasters. I've a job.

You do realise some ppl took annual leave to take part in this protest? You seem to be looking down on ppl who take part in the protest. I can’t really work it out. Is it that you are terrified by the enormity of the challenge we as humanity face so you temper tantrum when you see ppl actually making an effort to do something about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You do realise some ppl took annual leave to take part in this protest? You seem to be looking down on ppl who take part in the protest. I can’t really work it out. Is it that you are terrified by the enormity of the challenge we as humanity face so you temper tantrum when you see ppl actually making an effort to do something about it??

Still here? Did you visit the kids ? Thought i’d share my plans too. I’m visiting family too in the next few weeks on a transatlantic flight ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

topper75 wrote: »
    True. There will be more nonsense in ten years after this climate bunkum is forgotten. I have no idea what it will be called. They've all failed though - Occupy, Reclaim the streets, Extinction Rebellion, whatever your're having yourself.

People simply don't relate to crusties and their idiocy. They just want to live their lives in peace.

So in ten years the world will be healthier and less polluted etc? One can only hope although id say the place will be far worse.

_Brian wrote: »

Like Neil normally but to ask one person to justify comments someone else made is pretty unprofessional, she should have said ask him.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Still here? Did you visit the kids ? Thought i’d share my plans too. I’m visiting family too in the next few weeks on a transatlantic flight ;-)

You expect me to be in a rage over your personal travel plans? Lol. Very childish carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So in ten years the world will be healthier and less polluted etc? One can only hope although id say the place will be far worse.

I'd say the place will generally be pretty much the exact same as it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

I tend to come at this from a slightly different perspective.

I'm not a scientist.I have no formal qualifications in the subject and have no academic or real world experience in it.

Anyone who quotes any form of "scientific" data to back up their argument is to be weary of on a number of fronts.

Unless they are scientists themselves how can they stand over what they are saying? Otherwise they are simply parroting what someone else has told them and they are doing this at face value. How would they know if the data is true unless they have tested it themselves for accuracy?

I glaze over when I hear this line from these people because I refuse to trust what they are saying unless I can verify it myself. (which I can't). I find that trying to bamboozle people or blind them with science is a foolish approach. This applies equally to both sides.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Only because it hurts

Not really, just funny how many people think they invented it or that it's somehow clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Given the production and trade slowdowns: quite probably. Most nations are not ramping up production and emissions right now. Sweden, Germany, China, Britain, USA.
    India and Brazil might press on though.

The main point is the crusties' demands are never realistic. It is agitation for the sake of it.

I'd say the place will generally be pretty much the exact same as it is now.

So the same amount of plastic in the oceans, not more? The same amount of rainforests?
    Animals and plants are disappearing faster around the world and Ireland than any other time in human history.
    They'll all just magically replenish?
    Are you gonna tell us exactly how the protests held you up and when?

topper75 wrote: »
    Given the production and trade slowdowns: quite probably. Most nations are not ramping up production and emissions right now. Sweden, Germany, China, Britain, USA.
    India and Brazil might press on though.

The main point is the crusties' demands are never realistic. It is agitation for the sake of it.

You honestly think the world will be in better shape in 10 years? Seriously? Even during a recession we will still be consuming in the wrong ways at alarming rates, and eventually the economies will boom back to how we are now.

You expect me to be in a rage over your personal travel plans? Lol. Very childish carry on.

Really? Why shouldn’t i share my plans? You did. My point is you or your kids or whatever will NEVER EVER EVER be the cause of grounding AVIATION to prevent me seeing my family i can promise you that, your protests are a WASTE of time and you need to realise and get used to it!

You’re the childish one thinking i was trying to make you in a rage, it was merely sarcasm jokingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

20Cent wrote: »
    Not really, just funny how many people think they invented it or that it's somehow clever.

You do know that a good retort is supposed to argue against a point not around it?
    It's not an invented point it's a fact
    These 'rebels' like the rest of us are happy to support the biggest pollution economies in the world FACT

Really? Why shouldn’t i share my plans? You did. My point is you or your kids or whatever will NEVER EVER EVER be the cause of grounding AVIATION to prevent me seeing my family i can promise you that, your protests are a WASTE of time and you need to realise and get used to it!

You’re the childish one thinking i was trying to make you in a rage, it was merely sarcasm jokingly.

lol, these 20 people on merrion square are really getting under your skin pal, chillax!

Sorry now but climate change is a hard reality. Co2 levels are crazy high. All the mainstream political parties in Europe are on board with this. You can expect various green taxes and levies over the coming years. They may prevent you flying wherever due to cost. Not my fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well Gretta didnt get the Nobel peace prize this morning despite speculation
    We'd never have heard the end of it

How dare you. You have stolen my dreams and my award.

lol, these 20 people on merrion square are really getting under your skin pal, chillax!

Not really, i just hate to see people make idiots out of themselves especially when it won’t get them anywhere, they aren’t obstructing me i don’t live in Dublin.

Not really, i just hate to see people make idiots out of themselves especially when it won’t get them anywhere, they aren’t obstructing me i don’t live in Dublin.

So just forget about them. It's a few people protesting and having no effect on anyone really. Don't let them annoy you.

Sorry now but climate change is a hard reality. Co2 levels are crazy high. All the mainstream political parties in Europe are on board with this. You can expect various green taxes and levies over the coming years. They may prevent you flying wherever due to cost. Not my fault.

Sorry, levies or green tax or whatever i’ll still be able to afford going to the USA 3 times a year. It would be a huge mistake keeping people prisoners in their own countries, aviation is here for at least our lifetimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Is there a viable alternative power source to fossil fuels and if there is why hasn't the international infrastructure been re-developed to reflect this?

Is there a viable alternative power source to fossil fuels and if there is why hasn't the international infrastructure been re-developed to reflect this?

Hot air might, there’s so much of it on this thread going to waste that it could push a few planes around the world a few times ;-)

• Advertisement

Sorry, levies or green tax or whatever i’ll still be able to afford going to the USA 3 times a year. It would be a huge mistake keeping people prisoners in their own countries, aviation is here for at least our lifetimes.

It’s not about keeping prisoners in their country

I have NO ISSUE with aviation once it is not adding to the already crazily high levels of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. Do you see why I am against it now??

Advertisement