Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of the Worlds - Fox and Studio Canal

• 08-10-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭

Another War of the Worlds series out this winter.

This one starring Gabriel Byrne & Elizabeth McGovern.

The series will take place in present-day Europe, similar to the 2005 film by Steven Spielberg, but it will be a re-imagining of the classic H.G. Wells' novel
    In this new take on War Of The Worlds, when astronomers detect a transmission from another galaxy, it is definitive proof of intelligent extra-terrestrial life. Earth's population waits for further contact with bated breath, but does not have to wait long. Within days, mankind is all but wiped out, with just pockets of humanity are left in an eerily deserted world. As alien ships appear in the sky, the survivors ask a burning question — who are these attackers and why are they hell-bent on our destruction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So it'll be seen before the 2018 BBC production?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Is this the same one as the upcoming BBC one?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

kerplun k wrote: »
    Is this the same one as the upcoming BBC one?

Nope. Set in a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh dear......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whoops; guess that's what happens when adapting public domain works, nothing's stopping someone else doing the same.

Nothing to go on from that promo; terrible trailer mind you - really hate that modern gimmick in trailer editing of quickly flashing to black as the sound stutters. An obvious ploy to make things MOAR DRAMATIC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I particularly liked 'Come with me right now or you're gonna die!'
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the beeb actually finds a broadcast slot reasonably soon we could have the War of the War of the Worlds.

If the beeb actually finds a broadcast slot reasonably soon we could have the War of the War of the Worlds.

That is a TERRIBLE title............ And thus begins the War of The War of The War of The Worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So maybe a time machine could be used to go between the shows? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So many people doing remakes, that no one can keep up, so this happens.

Just waiting now for the German, English and American versions of Neverending Story releasing the same year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I was quite looking forward to the BBC remake. The trailer for this one looks shocking.

Just noticed: Oh God. The mother from Downton Abbey is in it. Shockingly terrible actor (In that at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I just watched this, I enjoyed it. Trying to work out what happend in episode 5.
    They pointed their satalite dish's at a satalite and that made it crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Started watching this on the Sky Box. Its very good, although, very, very bleak. But just finished episode 3. Very impressed by it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

5 Episodes in and I have to say I've really enjoyed it so far - Canal+ production, It is set in UK and France (subtitles in French scenes) - Storyline is different to other WoW versions film&series I've seen. Deffo recommend to any one with any interest in sci-fi genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We're three episodes in and really enjoying it too. Good for a change to see a different setting, and its very dark too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

when is episode 6-8 releasing on now tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Is a second series coming for this? There was a mention on Wikipedia that they were 'preparing' a second series. Anywhere to find out if it actually greenlit for definate?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finished it today and it was a hell of a lot better than the BBC version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

Only watched the first episode of the BBC one, it was dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

That was excellent and deserved a bigger platform than it got compared to the dreadful BBC version. The Irish actor was great in it, I had not seen him in anything apart form Love/Hate hopefully this is a good stepping stone for him to bigger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Where is/was the Fox and Studio Canal version available?

Although noting has been confirmed I was reading today that the creators of the show have been working on a second season since last October.

Excellent news.

Season 2 starts next week on Canal+ and in June on Epix in the States no date yet for Fox UK.

It might get a bit bigger of a spotlight now because Normal People's Daisy Edgar Jones is in it which it hit big after season 1 of this.

Season 2 trailer

Season 2 will be on Disney+ Star here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nobody watching it?

Season 1 now on Disney+ Star.

Season 2 due to start June 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Season two is released in a good few places from what I've seen:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(2019_TV_series)
    The eight-episode second season was released in full in France on MyCanal on May 17, 2021, before being broadcast from the same day in weekly batches of two episodes, mirroring the release of the first season.[5] The season is set to premiere on Fox on May 24, 2021,[4] and in the United States on Epix on June 6, 2021.

Advertisement