Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Russia, RWC pool A, Kobe, 11.15am Irish time

• 03-10-2019 6:36am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Its a Thursday morning kick off, everyone has their signed permission slips from Vodafone and Joe.

Can Ireland put in a performance to start getting hot takes about them winning the world cup or will the Russian cold front keep the pressure on Joe and his team...

Teams
    Ireland: Rob Kearney, Andrew Conway, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Keith Earls, Johnny Sexton (capt), Luke McGrath; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn Tadhg Beirne, Rhys Ruddock, Peter O'Mahony, Jordi Murphy.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Andrew Porter, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, CJ Stander, Joey Carbery, Jack Carty, Jordan Larmour.

Russia: Vasily Artemyev (capt), German Davydov, Igor Galinovskiy, Kirill Golosnitskiy, Denis Simplikevich, Ramil Gaisin, Dmitry Perov; Andrei Polivalov, Evgeny Matveev, Kirill Gotovtsev, Andrey Garbuzov, Bogdan Fedotko, Anton Sychev, Tagir Gadzhiev.

Replacements: Stanislav Selskii, Valery Morozov, Vladimir Podrezov, Andrey Ostrikov, Evgeny Elgin, Sergey Ianiushkin, Roman Khodin, Vladimir Ostroushko.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Not much response so far- time for a joke!

Q.What do you call a Russian with Tourrette's Syndrome?

A. Youcanol Fukov.

Ireland will be a joke if we don't come out with a T.B.P. from this game. That's the worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Can’t wait. Hopefully the Team of Us secures a bonus point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Nothing below a 50 point win is acceptable IMO. We need to to see a reaction to the Japan game. Look at the hammerings a other top teams have dished out against the lower tier nations.

I'd expect plenty of the lads to put their hands up for selection going forward.

Score prediction Ireland 75 - Russia 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Ireland by around 45 ish. Schmidt teams aren't really designed for outright hammerings( See 2015 v Romania etc). We'll go through our processes and usual multi phase rugby to score. So instead of like NZ scoring with one play or hands, we'll take 12 phases mainly through the forwards to score the same try. Or we will maul them to death which is good. I expect one of the Russians to have huge tackle stats. Also the scores seem lower than previous tournaments.

By all accounts the conditions inside the dome will be hell on earth so there's that.

Their 7 is hard hitting. We can't lose Sexton.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No injuries, nothing stupid, good defense and 5 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Connacht put 42 points on Russia. If Ireland can't better that then there's no hope.
    I'm expecting Ireland to start slow and grind out the win. The scoreboard will look lopsided but the game won't represent that.

• In case it all boils down to it, should we not be racking up a points advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Russian backline is woeful too.
    I'd be incredibly annoyed if I were part of the setup that conceded a try to them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In case it all boils down to it, should we not be racking up a points advantage?

I thought it goes on head to head rather than points difference (or is that if 2 tied, if its 3 its points?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

evil_seed wrote: »
    Connacht put 42 points on Russia. If Ireland can't better that then there's no hope.
    I'm expecting Ireland to start slow and grind out the win. The scoreboard will look lopsided but the game won't represent that.
    The conditions will be very tough though. I see Michael Corcoran tweeting that it's like a sauna in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

piplip87 wrote: »
    We need to to see a reaction to the Japan game.

You need to see that, you mean.

What is needed is a confident team, working their systems. A BP and then risk management of key players.
    Job done and then rinse and repeat against Samoa.
    Having to prove themselves as capable as other teams (and hand out a massive score) is not required in this game.
    Just get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The conditions will be very tough though. I see Michael Corcoran tweeting that it's like a sauna in there.

Scottish game vs Samoa was there too. The commentators said they were soaked from just sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

COME THE DAY COME THE HOUR COMETH THE BLOODBATH THAT FOLLOWS THE POWER

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

razorblunt wrote: »
    Scottish game vs Samoa was there too. The commentators said they were soaked from just sitting there.

yeah, by all accounts the stadium is like a sauna creating terrible handling conditions.

In the England Tonga game, there were 30 handling errors, Scotland Samoa 35.

As bizarre as it seems, the way to rack up a score here would be to almost play classic Ireland 2018 style, lots of contestables and the odd cross kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ruaidhri O'Connor saying it's lashing rain there now. Obviously with the roof closed, that's not a problem, but it will add to the humidity unless there's a drop in temperature.

Edit: It's 21° right now, with humidity at 83%. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Did the team do any particular preparation for the humidity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Get the BP by 60 mins and get the likes of Sexton, POM, Kearney and Ringrose off the field

Loads of options at lineout time, should see some nice variation there

• pc7 wrote: »
    I thought it goes on head to head rather than points difference (or is that if 2 tied, if its 3 its points?)

We can all end up with the same match points tally though if Scotland beat Japan and bonus points work the right/wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We have to win and score 4 tries and put up the highest point score we possibly can.
    Losing to Japan took away any possibility that we could relax in this match.
    We don't know yet what will happen between Japan and Samoa, Japan and Scotland and ourselves and Samoa, so we must just focus on today and do the best job we can, 4 tries mandatory and as high a score as possible after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ireland are entirely in control of their destiny as long as they get a BP today and next Thursday?

(ok, not entirely, weather we come first or second is down to Japan v Scotland, but we are in control of getting a QF)

• Advertisement

• crisco10 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Ireland are entirely in control of their destiny as long as they get a BP today and next Thursday?

(ok, not entirely, weather we come first or second is down to Japan v Scotland, but we are in control of getting a QF)

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

crisco10 wrote: »

Yes that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if ireland don't beat them by more than 20 pts,,then we don't deserve to in the qf's imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

crisco10 wrote: »

Correct. And if we get 2 bonus points in the 2 games, and Scotland beat Japan, the only way we can't finish top is if Japan get both a losing bonus point and a try bonus point against Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

aloooof wrote: »
    Correct. And if we get 2 bonus points in the 2 games, and Scotland beat Japan, the only way we can't finish top is if Japan get both a losing bonus point and a try bonus point against Scotland.

Sorry for the silly question but how many points/tries does a bonus point entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

risteard7 wrote: »
    Sorry for the silly question but how many points/tries does a bonus point entail?

4 tries = Bonus Point

Within 7 =Losing Bonus Point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

risteard7 wrote: »

4 trys equals a bonus point.

Losing a game by 7 points or less also equals a bonus point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is this on the radio somewhere? My work's wifi has a German IP address so RTE player is out of the question and the Eir Sports app refuses to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The Handicap is Ireland-52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

14 - 12 Ireland

Advertisement