Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If I loose power, I and my family loose water,sewage and heat....what will you loose in Dublin? The chance to charge your phone !!!

It's 'lose'!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Might not be too bad over the eastern part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Comhra wrote: »
    You're new here...?

;)

Laurali wrote: »
    I'm sure you guys are well used to hearing 'non events' and then getting battered, but like you said, used to dealing with it too! Stay safe.

The latest icon study showed Achill coast being hit pretty hard, imagine you could say the same for any proper offshore islands, depending on the model. Let's see how it goes over next 24 hours.

Again, I wasnt criticizing your posts in the other forum, but moreso the 'brennans bread posts' which I think belong here :)

Just looked at the so called technical forum and thought I was here! It I not going to work unless they are ultra vigilant and anyways a lot of the oomph has died now the warnings are out...… ah well....

looks that way; ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

easypazz wrote: »
    Why would they consider cancelling a show if its only an orange warning?

Especially knowing that UL is about as far from the coast that you can get in Limerick?

Buildings are extremely cautious on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

depends really, E coast is super Waterlogged so weaker trees and stuff.
    all subject to where you are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

This sounds like a non rare event now. There'll probably be floods etc. but nothing worse than every year we see in Galway and Cork and the likes.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just looked at the so called technical forum and thought I was here! It I not going to work unless they are ultra vigilant and anyways a lot of the oomph has died now the warnings are out...… ah well....

A lot of flip-flopping of opinions there at the moment. One page a consensus that it's a downgrade/nothing to see here, the next we're back into possible-red territory. Still, essentially these posting boards are all just a bit of fun. 50 pages of amateur speculation on a storm that is coming our way. People should remember that and not take themselves so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any warning for Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A lot of flip-flopping of opinions there at the moment. One page a consensus that it's a downgrade/nothing to see here, the next we're back into possible-red territory. Still, essentially these posting boards are all just a bit of fun. 50 pages of amateur speculation on a storm that is coming our way. People should remember that and not take themselves so seriously.

Its the same every single time any weather event happens.

Half the 'experts' say it will be an epic event, the other half say it's exaggerated. When the event is over, both sides will claim they were always right all along

TTLF wrote: »
    depends really, E coast is super Waterlogged so weaker trees and stuff.
    all subject to where you are

Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any warning for Dublin?

Yellow wind and rain warning from 9am tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

Less than 24 hours out and still no definite concensus. Our weather sure is hard to predict on this little rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Kildare

Not sure how bad the rain was in Kildare, but I would suggest it was the same as S. Dublin so weak trees etc.

TTLF wrote: »
    Not sure how bad the rain was in Kildare, but I would suggest it was the same as S. Dublin so weak trees etc.

I'm wondering what it's going to be like tomorrow morning in the general Kildare area??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's 'lose'!

I'll still have no water, sewage or heat if the power goes ..not to mention the risk of 2 chest freezers that are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

In terms of west coast Mayo: Callum was bad, Ophelia was useless, this is looking promising (for now).

I'll still have no water, sewage or heat if the power goes ..not to mention the risk of 2 chest freezers that are full.

Do not open the freezers and they say you have about 24 hrs...

No solid fuel fire or stove? I lived like that once then a burst pipe.... never again.. Here I have a bottled gas oven, a solid fuel fire so if the power goes: also on mains water etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

It's 'lose'!

Loosen up 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks like its going to be less of a danger then it initially looked. I will still be careful but just curious, as much as there is a chance that this will blow itself out before it reaches the East coast, is there any chance it somehow powers itself up and becomes a severe storm ?

I am not taking this lightly but just curious if there is a small (if not unlikely) chance the storm could end up being far worse then it looks 24 hours out.

I think I am also right in saying, certainly in East Leinster, the biggest threat is falling trees and maybe some flooding ? I havent seen anything said about potential storm surges on the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do not open the freezers and they say you have about 24 hrs...

No solid fuel fire or stove? I lived like that once then a burst pipe.... never again.. Here I have a bottled gas oven, a solid fuel fire so if the power goes: also on mains water etc

How are you supposed to get at all that precious bread if you can't open the freezer???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭endainoz

Could be time to invest in a generator so, freezers will be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Akrasia wrote: »
    How are you supposed to get at all that precious bread if you can't open the freezer???

Silly. Leave 5 slice pans on the counter to get you through the day

Abba987 wrote: »
    Silly. Leave 5 slice pans on the counter to get you through the day

There is always a way!

I eat maybe one slice of bread a day anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The lead cow here is bellowing fit to bust. … She is a mouthy one and i wonder what she is telling her brood now... On the meadow nearest the north facing ocean.. Anyone speak bovine?

All quiet and we have a peaceful night ahead..Before " cry havoc and let loose the gales of war" ( apologies to Shakespeare)

Oh we do not get floods here. Most houses are higher than the ocean and it drains back. They were not eejits. The ruin next door was built over 150 years ago and died of neglect and being empty when family died out...

back later or tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There is always a way!

I eat maybe one slice of bread a day anyways.

I think bread is an over-rated food anyway. Alright if you are stuck, but I really do wonder about its health benefits.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Drumpot wrote: »
    Looks like its going to be less of a danger then it initially looked. I will still be careful but just curious, as much as there is a chance that this will blow itself out before it reaches the East coast, is there any chance it somehow powers itself up and becomes a severe storm ?

I am not taking this lightly but just curious if there is a small (if not unlikely) chance the storm could end up being far worse then it looks 24 hours out.

I think I am also right in saying, certainly in East Leinster, the biggest threat is falling trees and maybe some flooding ? I havent seen anything said about potential storm surges on the East coast.

East Coast will be fine for wind speeds and sea. Still wouldn't be swimming in it but nothing out of the ordinary. It's been fairly settled that the storm will weaken as it does its eastward turn. If it got up to yellow wind level with the trees still in leaf then the rotted weak and diseased trees out there could definitely go but probabilities go up and down with the severity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The lead cow here is bellowing fit to bust. … She is a mouthy one and i wonder what she is telling her brood now... On the meadow nearest the north facing ocean.. Anyone speak bovine?

All quiet and we have a peaceful night ahead..Before " cry havoc and let loose the gales of war" ( apologies to Shakespeare)

Oh we do not get floods here. Most houses are higher than the ocean and it drains back. They were not eejits. The ruin next door was built over 150 years ago and died of neglect and being empty when family died out...

back later or tomorrow!

MOOOOO!!!!

wrap up warm and get some sleep - get the fire on and tell Lead Upright Cow that she will be fine too, and to pack it in!

Advertisement