Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Laurali wrote: »
    Would you guys mind posting some of the images, or linking to where you guys are getting this info? (So I can start learning where to look myself?)

I goodled GFs weather model and the website was super confusing - granted I didnt get long to look at it.

All I ever look at is Ventusky and I'd love to look at different models to learn/understand more

This website I built might be useful for you:
    https://weather.thedeskofmatthew.com/

It shows when the model runs are scheduled to occur, how far out they show in each run, and when you click to expand each row, you’ll see links to where you can view each of the models.

Might be slightly out of date as I think the ECM has extra runs now

Reading posts talking about 'high yellow', 'low orange' or 'seaboard red' but I don't recall met eireann make such subtle distinctions. Or is that new?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECMWF 06z run. Low center path from about Donegal Bay to Dublin with strongest winds to the south of it.

1aMu8t7.png

Not to be taken as gospel though. Track can and most likely will change.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

All off topic posts removed ! all 19 of them !!!

bazlers wrote: »
    Il ask these questions again because they seem to have gotten lost..

Wind speed strength wise is Lorenzo comparable to Ophelia or weaker when it reaches our latitude?

How much rainfall will it bring,
    greater than 25mm perhaps?

Thanks.

Weaker than Ophelia for the most part, but can’t be sure until tomorrow (and intensity forecasts have been kind of flaky for most of this hurricane season, so I’m not sure I trust them even then).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Easy for you to say. You're not in its line of fire.:)

Hey maybe we should host Storm Experience events. make a fortune.. send them to the gale facing shore.. Only problem here with that is getting folk over here!

Idea needs work!

But they are making such a build up .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

bazlers wrote: »
    Il ask these questions again because they seem to have gotten lost..

Wind speed strength wise is Lorenzo comparable to Ophelia or weaker when it reaches our latitude?

How much rainfall will it bring,
    greater than 25mm perhaps?

Thanks.

Lorenzo will be lower.

Reading posts talking about 'high yellow', 'low orange' or 'seaboard red' but I don't recall met eireann make such subtle distinctions. Or is that new?

Look at Met Éireann’s warning level criteria - they have well defined ranges. ‘High’ yellow just means the wind speeds would be close to moving into the Orange category on those scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I think regardless of what happens with Lorenzo i feel the real moral of this story is that twice in two years a hurricane has tracked northeastwards towards Ireland and remained as a hurricane until it got close to us (relatively).

It seems likely that this will become a more regular occurrence. I remember reading in the Irish Times after Ophelia that we should start getting used to these events and I thought it was an over reaction as it was a once in a generation event but the fact that its happening again so soon after suggests that we do need to get used to this.

On the met.ie Connacht forecast, the wind speed for Thursday is now 60.

Lest I forget.. My dish faces due north on an exposed gable end. So far. even in Callum etc, it has never flickered and our power out here is wondrously stable.

Aiming as I always do to stay aboard, so if perchance it goes silent, is just the gale …. Say a prayer for here and all out in the gale. As will be doing here... take care...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think regardless of what happens with Lorenzo i feel the real moral of this story is that twice in two years a hurricane has tracked northeastwards towards Ireland and remained as a hurricane until it got close to us (relatively).

It seems likely that this will become a more regular occurrence. I remember reading in the Irish Times after Ophelia that we should start getting used to these events and I thought it was an over reaction as it was a once in a generation event but the fact that its happening again so soon after suggests that we do need to get used to this.

With sea temps increasing, does this increase the liklihood for huricanes retaining their status closer to our island or even as they hit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Indeed....

Still showing as a hurricane ('H') just above latitude 50N which is = Cornwall.

114133_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Very good meteorologist's commentary by Met Éireann here

Some Harmonie charts from it.

Harmonie-Isotachs-Wed-02-Oct-18z.png

Harmonie-Isotachs-Wed-03-Oct-12z.png

Ireland gets the remnants of hurricanes every Autumn in every year in some form or other. It could be worse though, because if the Arctic and nearby seas were colder than they are right now, the ingredients would be there to bomb the storm even more.. as it did Debby back in the 60s.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Indeed....

That's very far north for it to be maintaining hurricane status:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Indeed....

114133_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

The white in the H means it has transitioned to extra-tropical just within hurricane winds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The white in the H means it has transitioned to extra-tropical just within hurricane winds.

Fair point but still expected to be hurricane at 50N.

From ME:

Hurricane Lorenzo is expected to make its transition from hurricane to extra-tropical storm when it is approximately at 49 degrees North, approximately 1000km to the southwest of Ireland. By comparison, storm Ophelia in October 2017 retained its hurricane status until it was within 500km of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ireland gets the remnants of hurricanes every Autumn in every year in some form or other. It could be worse though, because if the Arctic and nearby seas were colder than they are right now, the ingredients would be there to bomb the storm even more.. as it did Debby back in the 60s.

True but its normally remnants of hurricanes that have struck the east coast of the USA. These normally had lost their status long before they track towards Ireland. It is very unusual for a hurricane to track directly towards us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Lorenzo will be lower.

Agreed on this. One thing of note is that Lorenzo will be striking 2 full weeks before Ophelia did. Almost all trees are in full leaf so even 100 kph gusts hitting trees laden with leaves, combined with fully saturated ground in all parts of the country could easily lead to a combination of large limbs of trees being broken and/or whole trees being uprooted from the soaking earth, helped by the giant sails that are currently on most trees.

Any further upgrades could mean a LOT of tree related damage to property and infrastructure. Even as it stands, I think power loss issues will be frequent, especially in rural areas where electricity supply is carried in overhead cables and usually run along the side of the road and usually with large trees immediately adjacent.

I would imagine Met Eireann will take into account trees in full leaf and saturated ground when issuing warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I have a question on that.

I thought for bombing the sea waters still need to be warm relatively speaking even if the upper airs are cold fueling the storm in a traditional mid latitude sense.

If you look at a Nor'easter, when it bombs out it's because the warm waters of the gulf stream combine with the freezing air from Canada and that creates the pressure differential to bomb the storm.

Open to correction here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

All off topic posts removed ! all 19 of them !!!

But the cow uprighting one was really funny!

It is definitely cause for thought that two hurricanes are getting so close to us in 3 years. Perhaps its a fluke we'll never see the likes of for a long time, and perhaps not. I have quite a few trees around my house so storms do make me a bit nervous. We often have a look to see if we should knock any and decide against. We took down a good few when building.

True but its normally remnants of hurricanes that have struck the east coast of the USA. These normally had lost their status long before they track towards Ireland. It is very unusual for a hurricane to track directly towards us.

Fair point, but one of the main reasons it is steering towards us is because of the colder than average air mass spilling out of the N. American continent.

gD4xbvX.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The arpege now also going for it. We have full model agreement now in the storm crossing Ireland. My experience is these ex hurricanes pack an extra punch. Time will tell.
    As for the model battle you'd have to say the euros trounced the gfs

But I thought it was game over yesterday? :P

The question now is how quickly it turns inland and how quickly it fills, certainly going to pack a punch along the West coast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

fits wrote: »
    Ah balls!. I've a lot of driving planned on Thursday. Hospital appointment in Waterford with my toddler in the morning (he's been waiting 6 months) and something else in clonmel that evening.

I imagine you'll be fine, the west will take the brunt of this. Can't see the midlands or the east getting anything more than yellow warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The waves at Mullaghmore will be HUGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Loughc wrote: »
    I imagine you'll be fine, the west will take the brunt of this. Can't see the midlands or the east getting anything more than yellow warnings.

Yeah but I dont even fancy driving long distances on country roads in a yellow warning. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I have quite a few trees around my house so storms do make me a bit nervous. We often have a look to see if we should knock any and decide against

Same. I have a few that I had an arborist out to look at this summer. Two 200 year old Beech trees and a chestnut that's about 100 years old. All on an elevated bank over a small road. I'm in Wicklow so hoping that our position will keep the worst of the winds away. Even danger to people/property aside, it would be a terrible shame to lose such lovely trees.

On that point, I've seen quite a few charts in the thread showing the South East almost blocked off, avoiding the worst of this entirely. Is that due to the mountains breaking it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Non expert question.

Looking at the NOAA map is the kink in its path at N45 the difference between it hitting us directly or running along the west coast.

It would seem if it didn't take this slight change in direction it would hit fairly central.

What causes this change.

But the cow uprighting one was really funny!

It is still there and all the replies! Way back now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

George Lee sounding very dooms-day like on RTE.

I thought he was alarmist & tabloid.

Advertisement