Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

The arpege now also going for it. We have full model agreement now in the storm crossing Ireland. My experience is these ex hurricanes pack an extra punch. Time will tell.
    As for the model battle you'd have to say the euros trounced the gfs

Excellent. I love a good storm.

lleti wrote: »
    Any chance of a red warning for Dublin?

Yep.

*****RED WARNING FOR DUBLIN*****

There ya go. Tell your boss a fella on the internet told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Will the sea swell run ahead of the storm or will it be brought on by the storm passing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Daz_ wrote: »
    Oasis1974 wrote: »
    If the cows get blown over by the hurricane on there sides let say are they able to get up themselves or do they need help that's a serious question?
    if this isn't a piss take then i don't know what is!

Why you have the answer then share it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Why you have the answer then share it?

Depends on the cow. Some are very inflexible and lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Is there any likelihood of a red warning for the south east??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Orange a certainty for the Northwest as a minimum. We don't get all this hype for yellow warnings. The gfs and icon have upgraded a fair bit this morning.
    I'm thinking nationwide yellow with a red coastal warning for west/northwest

This will be my first storm since I started work in a new Job where I can see Lahinch beach from the office window.

Kinda hoping it's only orange so I still have to go into work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Dublin Live keep posting out some tripe still

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

The arpege now also going for it. We have full model agreement now in the storm crossing Ireland. My experience is these ex hurricanes pack an extra punch. Time will tell.

Is Lorenzo looking weaker than what Ophelia produced? I mean even if it hits Ireland or not what are the forecasted winds when it hits out latitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Come back in about 18hrs for any warnings, plenty of time to stock up on bread, and bottled water.

https://www.met.ie/warnings
    Weather Advisory for Ireland:
    There it a high probability that Storm Lorenzo will track close to or over Ireland later on Thursday and early Friday, giving high seas, severe winds and heavy rain.
    Warnings will be issued Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dublin Live keep posting out some tripe still

Ophelia and The Beast from The East still get milked dry by those sites, awful reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Would you guys mind posting some of the images, or linking to where you guys are getting this info? (So I can start learning where to look myself?)

I goodled GFs weather model and the website was super confusing - granted I didnt get long to look at it.

All I ever look at is Ventusky and I'd love to look at different models to learn/understand more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Doown a smidgen to 100 mph (85 knots) now.
    SUMMARY OF 800 AM AST...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...34.3N 39.0W
    ABOUT 555 MI...895 KM SW OF FLORES IN THE WESTERN AZORES
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 40 DEGREES AT 22 MPH...35 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB...28.41 INCHES

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

navgem-0-60.png?01-13

arpegeeur-0-66.png?6

The models converging now on landfall of the center anywhere Galway to north Donegal.

Potential red warning counties are along the immediate west coast. Elsewhere is max a high yellow or low orange. For now.

It's an evolving situation in terms of intensity and track but the options have narrowed a lot.

Much more certainty by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UKMO FAX charts from 12Z tomorrow to 12Z Friday.

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100100_036.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100100_048.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100100_060.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100100_072.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2019100100_084.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

@gaothlaidir just to let you know the Met Office have revised those charts since you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The models converging now on landfall of the center anywhere Galway to north Donegal.

Potential red warning counties are along the immediate west coast. Elsewhere is max a high yellow or low orange. For now.

It's an evolving situation in terms of intensity and track but the options have narrowed a lot.

Much more certainty by tomorrow morning.

Usually there systems go further north that models predict so will be interesting to see what path Lorenzo takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

"Potential red warning counties are along the immediate west coast. Elsewhere is max a high yellow or low orange"

I've run some models of my own and I'm getting more than a max High Yellow for the Midlands and western leinster. I think we could be in for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Yep.

*****RED WARNING FOR DUBLIN*****

There ya go. Tell your boss a fella on the internet told you.

Dear sender,

I am out of office due to storm conditions with no access to email. I will reply on my return.

Regards,
    lleti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah balls!. I've a lot of driving planned on Thursday. Hospital appointment in Waterford with my toddler in the morning (he's been waiting 6 months) and something else in clonmel that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The trend today is south for sure.

No warnings issued as track so uncertain, areas of NW which at moment look likely to be hit hardest could end up north of the low centre if the current trend continues with the roughest weather moving further south into the midwest and southwest.

I don't see red from this.

But with trees in full leaf even a solid yellow wind event can cause some disruption.

No warnings issued as track so uncertain, areas of NW which at moment look likely to be hit hardest could end up north of the low centre if the current trend continues with the roughest weather moving further south into the midwest and southwest.

But with trees in full leaf even a solid yellow wind event can cause some disruption.

How much rain is forecast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wait Wait..
    Forecast consensus according to George lee on the RTÉ news at one there now is a direct hit on Ireland with tropical force winds

Emergency response committee meeting today

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I think Red warnings will be issued on all along the Atlantic seaboard. Winds will be very strong here and sea surge and tides will be massive, flooding huge concern.

Away from coast it's more orange warning and mostly yellow for Leinster but as the depression crosses the country some places could see low end Orange levels too.

My badly inked thoughts.

491997.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its now serious

Getting too close to timeframe.

Why this mornings GFS went with virtual miss and latest goes with structural damage and fallen trees for North and West.

Stop playing games. Just say it will hit us

Why dont they just have latest feeds on Met Eireann website like BBC sport

E.g Lorenzo now 1500km away

Then keep adding updates like a feed. Then when it hits or not itl be like Ireland vs Japan and we will have all the build up game and aftermath.

I think Red warnings will be issued on all along the Atlantic seaboard. Winds will be very strong here and sea surge and tides will be massive, flooding huge concern.

Away from coast it's more orange warning and mostly yellow for Leinster but as the depression crosses the country some places could see low end Orange levels too.

My badly inked thoughts.

491997.jpg

Il ask these questions again because they seem to have gotten lost..

Wind speed strength wise is Lorenzo comparable to Ophelia or weaker when it reaches our latitude?

How much rainfall will it bring,
    greater than 25mm perhaps?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

10-20mm widely 30-40mm in exposed parts of west/northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

George Lee sounding very dooms-day like on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If the cows get blown over by the hurricane on there sides let say are they able to get up themselves or do they need help that's a serious question?

Out here the cattle will be in safe shelter during extreme weather.

If you ever see a sheep on its back, stop and rescue it please. when heavy with fleece they cannot get up

Advertisement