Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollystown closing

• 30-09-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

End of an era for hollystown golf club, its closing for good at end of the year. Writing has been on the wall since glenveagh properties bought it last year. Pity for all staff and members

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wow, a nice neat course, a certain loss in golfing terms, glad I got to play it before the final day, if you have not played it yet it's certainly worth the effort while there's still the chance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

mark316 wrote: »
    End of an era for hollystown golf club, its closing for good at end of the year. Writing has been on the wall since glenveagh properties bought it last year. Pity for all staff and members

Have you a link to where thats posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Have you a link to where thats posted?

There was meeting in club yesterday were staff and members were told

They dont have permission for houses yet, but club not making money so there closing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

How many staff were there?

How many members?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

mark316 wrote: »

They dont have permission for houses yet, but club not making money so there closing it

Are they closing it to force through planning while it sits idle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Are they closing it to force through planning while it sits idle?

Id say so, its glenveagh properties so they know what there doing.
    Prob 10/20 staff and 300 plus members

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

With the pressure on housing, planning won't be a problem, in fact, you can be sure they've already got the nod .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Played it a few times, its a nice enough course and a pity to see it closing. Not convinced I believe the "Not making money" part, it was always busy when I was there. I would say more likely "not making as much as can be made with housing".
    Nice clubhouse and generally friendly atmosphere in the place. Didn't have the stuffiness of plenty of Dublin clubs.
    Sorry to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Not a great course but it was the first place I joined in Ireland as it and elm green were the only clubs in Dublin I could afford to join during the Celtic tiger.

Unfortunately we still have too many courses for the number of full time players and lots of options in the vicinity

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I only played one time and left not wanting to return, I can't help but feel that is probably a part of why it has closed. I seem to recall there was a ditch across every other fairway at just about where you might drive the ball. That's a gimmic I only want to see on one hole at most per 18.

I am never a fan of any course closing though, and I do applaud the original vision of an approachable pay and play course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 uanr123

Long time following golf forum. First time post. Member for 4 years in Hollystown. Obviously extremely disappointed with latest news. Just wondering where other members are moving to and reasons why? I haven't decided on course yet myself but leaning towards Ck as living south side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Off topic Cycling posts removed to new thread, please stay on topic, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭blue note

I've only played the course once and wasn't blown away by it. But it's a real shame to hear of this closing. I hear deerpark is going too. These are the courses that make golf accessible to people. And are the ones that get people into the game - not many are going to pay €1500 to be a beginner I a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unfortunately we still have too many courses for the number of full time players and lots of options in the vicinity

By this are you saying there are courses in Dublin that have small membership numbers and unable to attract new members?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

By this are you saying there are courses in Dublin that have small membership numbers and unable to attract new members?

I’m saying there are too many clubs to be able to sustain the reducing number of golfers, operating at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I’m saying there are too many clubs to be able to sustain the reducing number of golfers, operating at a loss.

Maybe not at a loss, but they are having to run at a quality level that makes them kinda pointless other than ease of access for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What were the membership numbers in hollystown?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I see a lot of Hollystown members in the Wednesday open in St Margaret's this week.
    Not much distance between the 2 clubs so expect a few to join.
    Won 1st and 2nd too, so obviously able to handle the step up in quality ;)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe not at a loss, but they are having to run at a quality level that makes them kinda pointless other than ease of access for locals.

From memory it was always a commercially run course so no profit = no business? Appreciate St Margarets is the same.

It was never the best conditioned course, it’s strength was in having 3 9s so a decent bit of variety when mixing up the competition 18.

Definitely a shame for the members but hopefully they will have decent local options and make other local courses more viable in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Elm Green will surely benefit from an influx of members from Hollystown as it's not far away and membership fees would be considerably less than other courses around

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Elm Green will surely benefit from an influx of members from Hollystown as it's not far away and membership fees would be considerably less than other courses around

Have you played elm green?

Have you played elm green?

Elmgreen is a hovel in my view, I have played it a couple of times and didn't think anything of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Carr golf we’re running Hollystown so maybe some will go to Castleknock.

Hollystown certainly lost out when other dublin courses relaxed joining fees and golf became more affordable.

Disappointed for the members as I would know a lot of them and while there was a huge turnover in members there was a good core group who have been there for a long time.

Writing has been on the wall since the CPO on part of the land and then it being sold to the builders.

Elmgreen is a hovel in my view, I have played it a couple of times and didn't think anything of the place.

My point exactly, I can’t see why anyone would join there especially coming from any other golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

My point exactly, I can’t see why anyone would join there especially coming from any other golf course
    Hollystown would be similar to Elmgreen, maybe a little better but not much. Price wise it would also be similar and not far away either.

I can see a lot of members going there especially when you also get to play Corballis as part of your Elmgreen membership. Corballis is like a manna from heaven compared to the ****e we have in parklands from now to next March.

Hollystown was a far better course at its worst than Elmgreen has been at its best! Unless I was just unlucky when I played it.

davegilly wrote: »

Corballis is like a manna from heaven compared to the ****e we have in parklands from now to next March.

You must be playing the wrong courses if you feel that strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dk1986

From someone who has worked in Hollystown up to recently, the place was not making any money. The clubhouse and courses have been neglect since Glenveigh/Carr Golf took over and the writing has been on the wall for the past year.

Feel incredibly sorry for the members as they were some of the nicest people I’ve ever met and Hollystown was more a communal meeting place than simply just a golf course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

100 odd have joined Corrstown. Not sure what the pressure is currently like on the timesheets but that is a big influx.

Did Carr golf have any genuine interest in keeping Hollystown going?

Advertisement