Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Does AIB v Whelan affect the ruling in Glencar v Mayo CC in the context of negligent misstatement?? From what I can see, it basically says that Glencar is only to be used in nominal cases, + the policy and fair, just and reasonable elements are both under the same heading? Could anyone kindly shed some light on this for me please?

Does anyone have any idea what the impact of planning permission is on a nuisance (Lanigan v Barry, Coventry v Lawrence)? The section in the manual I have is v confusing and I'm not sure what it means.

Planning permission doesn't make a nuisance acceptable, but it may gradually change the character of the locality of the area in which it occurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

You are allowed highlight the legislation ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

user115 wrote: »
    You are allowed highlight the legislation ya?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

20082014 wrote: »
    TORT

Guys, for tort I am looking at Q.3 March 2016.

I think that Laura wouldnt be liable for Tony's actions - not a special proximate relationship and unforeseeable therefore NAI making Tony liable.

as the question only asks to advise re Laura's liability to Anette, would you discuss Tony's duty/breach/causation then?

I think there is a possible nuisance claim also which Laura will be liable for but I am just stuck as to the liability of third parties aspect.

Any help would honestly be greatly appreciated!

I would be advising Annette that that she has a potential case against Laura as she is vicariously liable for Tony's act.
    2 stages
    Is there a relationship akin to employment?
    Was the tortious conduct within the scope of that employment?
    1) Plehan v Coillte Teoranta, Moynihan v Moynihan
    2)Boyle v Ferguson, Smith v Stages
    Tony's act caused public nuisance: Mullan v Forrester, Cunningham v McGrath Brothers.
    Anette might face some difficulty as Laura can argue that her injuries and accident was too remote and unforeseeable: Re Polemis, The Wagon Mound, Breslin v Corcoran and MIBI.
    I would approach this question that kind of way. Any comments welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

https://citycolleges.ie/fe1-night-before-notes-october-2019/

Link for city colleges night before notes October 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

Hi everyone, looking for some advice. I've decided to sit the exams in March. I sat them for the first time last October and passed 1 but failed two. That time I sat constitutional, contract and property. Is there a partucular combination of subjects that I should be covering to get the magic three.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

What's wrong with tort night before? It's set of slides on how answer exam q and not summary, hopefully proper summary will be up soon!It is very handy though on, that grid on page 5 is a bit off putting I hadn't realized some topics had that much frequency, things like damages are a bit further down list than you would think

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Planning permission doesn't make a nuisance acceptable, but it may gradually change the character of the locality of the area in which it occurs :)

Fantastic, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Is consequential and relational economic loss the same thing?

• Advertisement

An occupier is strictly liable for the harm caused as a result of the static nature of his/her premises. Strict liaility in this case means that the injured party does not need to prove that the occupier caused their injury, all that is required is for the plaintiff to have sufferred an injury on the premises.

Is this right?? I'm just confusing myself at this stage.. Is an Occupier's liability claim just a DOC, Breach and Harm? Basically the same as a negligence claim but without causation?

I think relational loss is loss relating to the damage of property! I haven't come across consequential loss in Tort law but I think it might be something to do with goodwill?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

I have a simple question - the pack I got said that your exam number needs to be noted on legislation materials brought into the exam but the accompanying letter doesn't clearly indicate which number is the exam number. Is it my ID number or my candidate number that I have to put on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Bassadd wrote: »
    I have a simple question - the pack I got said that your exam number needs to be noted on legislation materials brought into the exam but the accompanying letter doesn't clearly indicate which number is the exam number. Is it my ID number or my candidate number that I have to put on it?

Candidate number - the shorter number -should go on your legislation

An occupier is strictly liable for the harm caused as a result of the static nature of his/her premises. Strict liaility in this case means that the injured party does not need to prove that the occupier caused their injury, all that is required is for the plaintiff to have sufferred an injury on the premises.

Is this right?? I'm just confusing myself at this stage.. Is an Occupier's liability claim just a DOC, Breach and Harm? Basically the same as a negligence claim but without causation?

Occupiers Liability is not strict afaik. Strict Liability = You don't have to prove negligence.

E.g. for visitors you need to prove the occupier did not take reasonable care in relation to the State of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

For nervous shock, I just have a few points about what it is and then go through caselaw of McLoughlin, Alcock, Mullaly, Kelly v Hennessey, Fletcher v CPW and Devlin v NMH. Is there more I should have for this topic?

Occupiers Liability is not strict afaik. Strict Liability = You don't have to prove negligence.

E.g. for visitors you need to prove the occupier did not take reasonable care in relation to the State of the premises.

But for a person to be liable, they need to have breached their duty not to take reasonable care of visitors, or not to act with reckless disregard re trespassers and recreational users?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

consequential economic loss is where for example the plaintiff is in an RTA suffers damage to the van and can recover for this and then also can recover for loss in hiring a replacement vehicle (consequential economic loss).

Relational economic loss is a distinct category of pure economic loss which covers situations of pure economic loss where the Plaintiff suffers because of a third party- english case of Leigh & Sillivan ltd v Aliakmon Shipping Ltd - applied in Ireland in Irish Paper sacks ltd v John Sisk & Son

Also confused by negligent misstatement position.. think I'm just panicking!! So Walsh v Jones is the most recent case and from what I gather they dissented the decision of Wildgust? Is that correct?

But for a person to be liable, they need to have breached their duty not to take reasonable care of visitors, or not to act with reckless disregard re trespassers and recreational users?

Correct

• Advertisement

holliek wrote: »
    Also confused by negligent misstatement position.. think I'm just panicking!! So Walsh v Jones is the most recent case and from what I gather they dissented the decision of Wildgust? Is that correct?

I don’t think there was a dissent here. In Wildgust C found there was a relationship of proximity even though there was no direct interaction between P and D as it was reasonable that P would rely on the statements given by D to Ps bank.

In Walsh there was no relationship of proximity between the buyer and the agent, the agent acted on behalf of the seller and the relationship of proximity lay there, it had no duty to the buyer. Further, they were also not liable because the brochure contained a disclaimer.

The two cases sit well with each other I think

I don’t think there was a dissent here. In Wildgust C found there was a relationship of proximity even though there was no direct interaction between P and D as it was reasonable that P would rely on the statements given by D to Ps bank.

In Walsh there was no relationship of proximity between the buyer and the agent, the agent acted on behalf of the seller and the relationship of proximity lay there, it had no duty to the buyer. Further, they were also not liable because the brochure contained a disclaimer.

The two cases sit well with each other I think

Thanks so much you've cleared it up. So many cases in negligent misstatement and I find the facts can be so complex so thanks for clearing those up

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Company

Just to query with people - all sums due ROT clauses, NBN are saying no Irish endorsement and that Courtney has commented on such - I have an Irish case confirming one - does anyone else or is my manual incorrect? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

Company

Just to query with people - all sums due ROT clauses, NBN are saying no Irish endorsement and that Courtney has commented on such - I have an Irish case confirming one - does anyone else or is my manual incorrect? :/

Oh that's completely different to my notes :/
    I have Re Stokes & McKiernan (1978) as an Irish case endorsing All Sums Due Clauses, noting they are not charges and do not need to be registered.
    And similar approach in UK in Armour v. Thyssen (1990) (which he mentions in the Examiner's Reports)

Can anyone else shed any light?

GF612 wrote: »
    Oh that's completely different to my notes :/
    I have Re Stokes & McKiernan (1978) as an Irish case endorsing All Sums Due Clauses, noting they are not charges and do not need to be registered.
    And similar approach in UK in Armour v. Thyssen (1990) (which he mentions in the Examiner's Reports)

Can anyone else shed any light?

That's what I have too! And I checked and found confirmation of such in an LRC Report from 1989, so I think its NBN that are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

That's what I have too! And I checked and found confirmation of such in an LRC Report from 1989, so I think its NBN that are wrong

Perfect! Thank you! I'll go with it so :)

COMPANY

In relation to SLP, would it be correct in saying that since the Prest decision, the courts will only lift the veil in relation to concealment cases (courts respecting SLP) and will pierce the veil in evasion cases (courts disregarding SLP)?

But then go on to state that Lord Nurberger has said that piecing the corporate veil has never been successful in English law, that lifting the veil is seen a lot more throughout cases.

COMPANY

In relation to SLP, would it be correct in saying that since the Prest decision, the courts will only lift the veil in relation to concealment cases (courts respecting SLP) and will pierce the veil in evasion cases (courts disregarding SLP)?

But then go on to state that Lord Nurberger has said that piecing the corporate veil has never been successful in English law, that lifting the veil is seen a lot more throughout cases.

I wouldn’t say that they won’t lift if for evasion - just that it’s logically much less likely to happen as you’d rarely get a time the officer seeking to hide behind the SLP has independent legal obligation to make evasion both necessity and possible

Could be wrong but just my understanding :)

I wouldn’t say that they won’t lift if for evasion - just that it’s logically much less likely to happen as you’d rarely get a time the officer seeking to hide behind the SLP has independent legal obligation to make evasion both necessity and possible

Could be wrong but just my understanding :)

So would you just reference 'lifting' the veil and leave it at that, without getting into it further? I am looking over the notes I have and getting very confused over it! In my notes I have lifting is for concealment and piercing is for evasion but theres no real mention of this in the NBN so getting worried!

• Advertisement

So would you just reference 'lifting' the veil and leave it at that, without getting into it further? I am looking over the notes I have and getting very confused over it! In my notes I have lifting is for concealment and piercing is for evasion but theres no real mention of this in the NBN so getting worried!

I wouldn't worry too much here - important to think of how a likely SLP question will be asked. Prest comes in as how the veil is pierced, but his questions typically tend to focus on agency and SEE, so it's much more important to have a thorough understanding of the case law in those regards.

For Prest, I personally think it would be satisfactory to note that the court identified the two ways to disregard the SLP (evasion and concealment) and to note that concealment is more likely and thus the terms 'piercing' is perhaps inaccurate.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure others may disagree! Important to consider the time element at this stage too though - in a 35 minute question where you're trying to give all the other cases, I wouldn't get into it much more than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement