Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Jack McCoy wrote: »
    O'Donnell J. in Whelan v AIB:

You legend!! Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Does anyone know if you are still allowed hand in legislation on the morning of the exam? I notice on the letter that I received that they have to be in the day before, if doesn't say anything about dropping them in on the day. Two sittings ago I dropped legislation in on the morning and got it about half an hour into the exam but just wondering has this changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

This is my first time sitting the exams and i have made a rookie error in forgetting to bring a watch with me for timing purposes. It is probably a stupid question but I presume there is Clocks in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    This is my first time sitting the exams and i have made a rookie error in forgetting to bring a watch with me for timing purposes. It is probably a stupid question but I presume there is Clocks in the room?

There's are clocks in the exam centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

There are clocks in the exam centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jack McCoy

FE!student wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you are still allowed hand in legislation on the morning of the exam? I notice on the letter that I received that they have to be in the day before, if doesn't say anything about dropping them in on the day. Two sittings ago I dropped legislation in on the morning and got it about half an hour into the exam but just wondering has this changed?

I think that's always been on the letter. Can't imagine there'd be any issue handing them in on the morning.

Yes, there's clock in the halls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Property

If anyone is stuck; I have a succession act that i can leave in to be checked morning of exam with my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Just an fyi for anyone driving. Parking charges apply, 5 euro. Take ticket to reception for the discount rate. Just called to confirm with hotel reception. Didn't fancy getting clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

What do we need to bring with us to the exam? Were we given an exam number that I should know? lastminute.com

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

You should have received a letter from the Law Society that would have your three digit Candidate Number on it that you will need to find your assigned seat.

You also need to bring ID (passport/drivers license) as they check this during the exam when you sign the attendance sheet.

Other than that, lots of pens and water :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Were big clocks in each room I was in in March. I would be extremely surprised if it wasnt the same this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

CRIMINAL

Help appreciated! ;(

What should I be focusing on?
    I have notes made out since last sitting but have to cram them over the weeken and am panicking none of it will come back to me!

I have notes for elements and characteristics of a crime, murder/manslaughter, sexual offenses, non fatal offenses, theft and fraud offenses and defenses!

Am I leaving out anything crucial??

Please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

@LawSociety

If there is a Red Storm warning issued for parts of Ireland on Thursday night/early Friday Morning will the Constitutional exam be postponed? Traveling from Galway, will be leaving home at about 5am. Trying to make alternative arrangements but not looking good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭vid36

I am curious how Tort went, first time in 3.5 years ,I don't have any FE1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

vid36 wrote: »
    I am curious how Tort went, first time in 3.5 years ,I don't have any FE1s.

I found it tough, I was really stuck for time.

I had 2 good questions, 2 middling questions and 1 poor question

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭vid36

The last paper was nasty but I scraped through. What topics came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

vid36 wrote: »
    The last paper was nasty but I scraped through. What topics came up?

What I think came up -

Q1 Occupiers
    Q2 Standard of Care
    Q3 Nuisance/Trespass to Land
    Q4 Products...Possibly Employers?
    Q5 Defamation
    Q6 Fatal Injuries
    Q7 Wasn't sure about this one. I think it's DOC of Good Samaritans or Trespass to Person
    Q8 Objectives of Tort

Could be wrong for some of those so someone might correct me if I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I think occupiers, defamation (again!), product, nuisance, function of tort, what happens when tort person dies?! Whatever that is...

Wasn't really happy with it, very difficult, hope I passed though, so not expecting what came up. Dreading now incase company tomorrow is a total weird paper like today

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Anyone stressing about tort, I passed last sitting and having viewed my script he is a kind marker, gave marks even where I went off topic and stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

What I think came up -

Q1 Occupiers
    Q2 Standard of Care
    Q3 Nuisance/Trespass to Land
    Q4 Products...Possibly Employers?
    Q5 Defamation
    Q6 Fatal Injuries
    Q7 Wasn't sure about this one. I think it's DOC of Good Samaritans or Trespass to Person
    Q8 Objectives of Tort

Could be wrong for some of those so someone might correct me if I am!

Q8 - Objectives of tort? OMG anyone did that question?

I completely blanked out on product liability (having known it well and revised, and actually being able to recite all cases when leaving the exam hall. Just found it was a tough paper and panicked at the start. Did my 4 questions and started Q8 as my last one. I talked about pure economic loss and negligent misstatement (knew this really well), that its uncertain and blah blah kinda trying to relate it to the question (faceslap). Should have just waffled on the product liability question instead. Hope he is kind to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

2 questions answered well on Tort and didnt answer the other 3 in great detail, literally a page/2 pages for the remaining 3, starting to think ive a very slim chance of passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greenery2

What did people think of Q.2? Do you think it was flexible - commenting on examples of varying SOCs? Or more of the standard - go through reasonable man, gravity etc.? Or open to interpretation? Bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Found it tough enough but fair. I'll be going again in March, couldn't remember a single case and stupidly did the essay questions. Wasn't prepped enough, no nervous shock.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jack McCoy

I found that product liability question to be exceptionally tricky. Was completely lost in it.

Saw the doctor question and skipped it. Presumed it was professional negligence again but trespass etc is a good shout. Is that four papers in a row for defamation!?

Re Q8, I waffled about Duty of Care. Figured it was worth a bash given the reference to the last 100 years and balancing individual cases with the wider context.
    What did people think of Q.2? Do you think it was flexible - commenting on examples of varying SOCs? Or more of the standard - go through reasonable man, gravity etc.? Or open to interpretation? Bit worried.

I went through probability of the harm and all that. Forgot to mentioned that the standard could be varied in different instances. I think both are valid.

__

I'm not hoping we get hit by a hurricane, but I could do with some extra time for Constitutional!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Anyone stressing about tort, I passed last sitting and having viewed my script he is a kind marker, gave marks even where I went off topic and stuff :)

That's really interesting, from the examiners' reports you'd definitely get the impression that he's very hard on people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

I completely agree with this! While the papers are tough he does appear to be a fairly nice marker.

I passed Tort in the last sitting and was really sure that I had failed. I completely misinterpreted one question but he must've still given me marks for my application of the law despite it being tangental to the question asked.
    It actually ended up being one of my best results so far despite the fact that it's the one I was definitely most worried about afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have any March 2019 reports? t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

20082014 wrote: »
    2 questions answered well on Tort and didnt answer the other 3 in great detail, literally a page/2 pages for the remaining 3, starting to think ive a very slim chance of passing!

Sounds exactly like what produced last year and I still passed. Keep your head down and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Is anyone able to explain right of redemption to me in plain language? and also what are the important cases?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

COMPANY - SLP

Is it correct in saying that no agency was found in Fyffes but SEE was and Denham J reaffirmed that SEE could still be an exception if found in the exceptional circumstances - like what was said in Allied Irish Coal Suppliers?

Also, does anyone have the facts of Fyffes very briefly and simply that they could send in? I have in my notes to make sure to know the facts of this case but from my revision it just appears that you need to know what cases were discussed in Fyffes, not sure if the actual facts are as important?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement