Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, sterling transfer from Revolut to UK bank account should take less than two hours if done during working hours and can take just a matter of a few minutes in my experience.

I was onto BOI this morning and they are doing an urgent Sepa transfer to my Revolut euro account today (€25 charge for urgent). By tonight I should have all the funds in the Revolut euro account. I presume I can convert that to Sterling account without limits immediately (subject to 0.5% fee over €6k).
    Are you saying that when I go to buy the car next week in the UK there is a bank transfer limit from my Revolut Uk account the car dealer bank account ? That would be a right pain.

Buy the car with your BOI visa it will be the cheapest and easiest option, cheaper the Revolut as boi cap their fee at 11.43 per transaction whereas Revolut will have a fee for everything over 5k which will be higher. Instantly paying 25 euro to do a transfer to Revolut which will eat up a load of the savings you make using revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

How are folks finding this new EU €150 contactless use limit? My app has been warning me for some time about it and to update the app despite no update being available.

I tapped in a Circle K last night only for it to show the red declined on screen and the assistant just muttered the same. Thought little of it, pulled out my AIB debit, tapped and away. Only when I got back to the car did I see the app telling me I needed to insert the card.

This is pretty hair brained if I'm honest. It will at the very least require retailers terminals to prompt for chip and pin instead of just showing declined and staff should be more alert to the new rules. This will be a winner for Google/Apple pay and a pain in the hoop for happy tappers

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Apologies, this has probably been answered on numerous occasions but what is the fix for the verification SMS not coming through on my phone? I am on the Three network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

gerp99 wrote:
    Apologies, this has probably been answered on numerous occasions but what is the fix for the verification SMS not coming through on my phone? I am on the Three network

I'm with Three & the verification codes come through always. Does the Revolut debit notifications come through to your phone ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

gerp99 wrote: »

Have they the right number?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Have they the right number?

This was the problem for me. My bank had my number entered incorrectly on their system which meant I wasn't getting verification texts. I rang my bank a number of times about it. The last guy I spoke to was sharp enough to spot it after a number of his colleagues missed the incorrect number after I confirmed the number with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

BArra wrote: »
    ptsb say its my phone carrier thats causing issue of not getting verified by visa texts, and vodafone says there is no issue with my account - still not working today

edit: noticed im not getting any OTP texts ie. those texts for 2 factor auth, from the likes of paypal, amazon, verified by visa, myaccount revenue etc

this is baffling as it just started a day or two ago, have made no changes to my mobile carrier

So for anybody on Vodafone with issues with 2 step verification texts not arriving, such as verified by visa via PTSB, or any service that does not use a traditional 'number' to text you, my issue seems to be with nearly any verification text not arriving. ie. Amazon, Gmail, Revenue MyAccount, etc

I rang Vodafone again and was informed that I am not the only person to have reported the issue and a ticket has been raised, they took some information and said I should get a callback when they figure it out

So for anybody on Vodafone with issues with 2 step verification texts not arriving, such as verified by visa via PTSB, or any service that does not use a traditional 'number' to text you, my issue seems to be with nearly any verification text not arriving. ie. Amazon, Gmail, Revenue MyAccount, etc

I rang Vodafone again and was informed that I am not the only person to have reported the issue and a ticket has been raised, they took some information and said I should get a callback when they figure it out

Have Vodafone moved you over to the new system yet? I haven't and have no issues but a friend of mine was last week and has been having various problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Quackster wrote: »
    Have Vodafone moved you over to the new system yet? I haven't and have no issues but a friend of mine was last week and has been having various problems since.

new system!? what do you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

More problems today on revolut , with transactions not going through properly. Was out for a meal earlier and transaction at the terminal went through but now several hours later it says declined .

This happens more regular than standard banks , seems to be an issue every month

new system!? what do you mean

If you were moved across, you'd have got texts explaining about it. They seem to be moving everyone in batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

More problems today on revolut , with transactions not going through properly. Was out for a meal earlier and transaction at the terminal went through but now several hours later it says declined .

Booked Ryanair flight home from the UK. I have email confirmation as if it went through but nothing showing on my revolut account four hours later about the transaction. I'm not expecting to get on the flight for free but I'm worried they'll sell on my seat if payment doesn't go through.

Using credit cards for over 30 years & I've never found myself in a situation like this. I like the idea of the currency exchange rate and all that but I don't think I could ever make this my main /only card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Booked Ryanair flight home from the UK. I have email confirmation as if it went through but nothing showing on my revolut account four hours later about the transaction. I'm not expecting to get on the flight for free but I'm worried they'll sell on my seat if payment doesn't go through.

Using credit cards for over 30 years & I've never found myself in a situation like this. I like the idea of the currency exchange rate and all that but I don't think I could ever make this my main /only card

I seriously wouldn't worry about it if you've got email confirmation from Ryanair. It'll show up in Revolut soon enough.

jakdublin wrote:
    I seriously wouldn't worry about it if you've got email confirmation from Ryanair. It'll show up in Revolut soon enough.

I'd usually get a message almost immediately about the transaction. I'll update here if it doesn't go through. Flight is Monday so I'll know one way or another by then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Had a similar experience today

Tapped with the phone (Google pay) in Lidl for just over 7 euros

Approved on the machine and got receipt as if all normal but nothing taken from revolut.

And thing is Google pay use a virtual card details.

Wonder how this works now, free shopping or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It is very common with Revolut these days that on the card that use GPS (Global Payment Solutions) as the payment processor show this behavior of approving payment but later on showing as declined or reverted in the wallet.

Usually these are than taken again a few hours or days later as “delayed transaction” but in some case that does not happen at all.

The shop however sees these as approved and got their money, this a problem with GPS and Revolut and the way they convert real money to electronic money in your wallet.

However those transactions which show as declined on the show are really declined. And those outages are also increasing but that is GPS problem and hots all of their customers (Fire for example). There is a joke which is it rains on the Isle of Man than GPS will have an outage as these outage are so frequent since they moved from Dubai to the Isle or Man.

With Revolut it’s important to ensure you keep a separate record of your transactions to ensure you know what is going on. I know several people which have large outstanding transactions with Revolut that are still not booked again.

Also the beta card that uses Revolut P as processor is way more stable in my experience.

Having a bit of a mare in ho chi Minh. The ATM won't recognise my revolut card. Can't withdraw cash! Any ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Having a bit of a mare in ho chi Minh. The ATM won't recognise my revolut card. Can't withdraw cash! Any ideas?

Check security settings in phone.
    If really stuck, use your normal ATM card.

Ryanair transaction now shows as declined yet Google pay has my downloaded boarding pass. This will be interesting to see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ryanair transaction now shows as declined yet Google pay has my downloaded boarding pass. This will be interesting to see what happens

It should appear again in Revolut as delayed transaction in a couple of hours/days.

Hopefully you can fly.

Hopefully you can fly.

This is my hope too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Maybe a little off topic here..
    If you use Revolut to fund a monthly subscription, what happens if there is not funds to meet the debit.
    maybe it wont work for subscriptions..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Maybe a little off topic here..
    If you use Revolut to fund a monthly subscription, what happens if there is not funds to meet the debit.
    maybe it wont work for subscriptions..

It would bounce same as a normal bank

Its handy for Netflix etc with the cheap workaround

This has happened to me many times with Revolut over the years. The transaction will eventually be processed but it could be days or even weeks before that happens. Ryanair have their money though and you can be 100% assured there is no issue with your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sorry for asking newbie questions, but a newbie here!
    Wife heading to US soon.
    Told her I'd put money (dollars) on my new Revolut card to use there.
    If more needed, I can too up on my phone.
    Any pitfalls? She doesn't have a CC but has normal visa debit.
    Am hoping to save on currency rates.

Wife heading to US soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Wife heading to US soon.

That should work, but be aware of the 200€ free ATM withdrawal limit.

That should work, but be aware of the 200€ free ATM withdrawal limit.

Also be aware that it's a prepaid card & not a credit card. I have found that I still need my credit card for car hire and some hotels. You can pay by revolut but they might want to hold 1000/1500 on a credit card. Without a real credit card you will have to take out their full cdw insurance.

• Advertisement

Cool. Thanks for that. Good to know points.
    Thankfully all major parts of the travel are sorted so card was really only to be handy for shopping / retail and food and cash at ATMs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement