Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Hi All,

I thought I would get involved after reading the entire thread. 28, male.

Just wondering does anyone have tips on what to eat late night? I usually wake up in the middle of the night (4 am) craving food. I keep going for a massive bowl of cereal!

My diet is my downfall I reckon - cereal(weetabix, special k, corn flakes and fruit and fibre) and low fat milk is the bet the main killer

However I am enjoying exercising again even if I can get 30 minute run on a treadmill during work. Aiming for 3 times a week. Weighing in tomorrow!

lol!! Its defo just a habit you need to break, body clock has adjusted to waking at that time etc. Resist the urge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

93.5 today. Not good. Had a bad few days eating wise. Will be good over the weekend
    I'm back to 97kg:D

iamtony wrote:
    I'm back to 97kg

Thank **** haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think an awful lot of late night eating - especially when it's junk like sweets, biscuits and cereal - is habit more than hunger. Especially with anything sugar-related. Your body adapts to a schedule/routine very easily and if you start releasing dopamine at the same time every night by eating junk, your body will expect it as a routine and that's what we call a craving :)

It's not your stomach wanting food to overcome hunger, it's your brain wanting sugar for a quick-fix dopamine release.

As Alf said, for me water was the easiest way to beat cravings. If you wake up with a massive sugar craving, just chug half a pint of water and it quenches that craving substantially. If you can beat them for a week or two, you'll find your body adapts to this and the cravings will stop.

Was down by about 30/35 pounds, crept back up by 10 or so in the last few weeks. Bad weekend just passed but proper stuff bought in, time to get trucking again. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Lost 15kg between last September and April. We've had a new arrival in the house so all routines and good habits went to sh1t. I put back on 8kg in two months! Now that she's two months old there's no need to to be carrying on with that nonsense so I'm back tracking on MFP and getting 7/8 veg and fruit a day. Might have to lay off my beloved Guinness at the weekends too! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Starting 94kg
    Week 1: 94kg
    Week 2: 94kg
    Week 3: 93.5kg (-.5kg)
    Week 4: 93kg (-.5kg)
    Week 5:?
    Week 6:?
    Week 7: 92.6kg (-.4)

And then I started to go back up...:( by Week 8 I was at 94kg and feeling unwell - and then I hit 95kg and I thought I better get serious about this, because it's not just about being sick of being fat, it is becoming I'm sick of being fat and sick!

I'm not sure what week I am now - Week 12 I think.

Week 12: 91kg
    4kg down on keto type diet over the last 10 days or so. I have also had more energy and have been able to up my exercise too. So fingers crossed I keep going down this time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/weight-loss-calculator

Ive found this weightloss calculator to be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I am going to start my own journey now, weighed myself last week and have been my heaviest ever at 112kg which is way overweight for 5' 9"

I was 89kg only 3 years ago but bad injuries have seen my weight balloon in 3 years. I was always reasonable fit while been slightly overweight but my diet was never the best so looking to get back in to small bits, first on the bike and rowing in the gym as my body aint able for field team sports anymore. The fitness side i have always enjoyed but the diet part is going to be extremely hard.

I have been looking through the thread for inspiration on the diet side of things as i dont even know where to begin. Going back to food prep will be key for me and to stay away from drinks full of sugar and snacking. Rarely drink or eat out but work on building sights and would have bad deli food, roll in morning, a wrap at lunchtime followed by a takeaway in the evening.

Even as i write this down i can see why i have put on so much in the last 3 years. Staying injury free will be massive as well as anytime i have had setbacks in the bast ive done back to eating even more crap.

Going to spend a portion of bank holiday tomorrow food prepping and a light run in the evening, doest help that i got my bloods done earlier in the year and the doctor warned me that my weight was starting to be an issue and that my blood pressure was getting high.

Would be greatful of any major dos and donts.

Basil it was my Bp that made me get a little harder on myself recently. I was given a tablet but it made me so ill I had to stop and then I said right I'm losing the weight, it just can't be worse than feeling terrible. I'm almost 5kgs down in about two weeks sticking rigidly to a mix of low calorie and keto - so no potatos, bread or any cereals really, stopped eating greek yogurt, cheese, mayonaisse - (these are specifically things I tend to overdo it on) and stopped drinking alcohol completely. I'd say it's a lot of water weight gone but I have more energy - my favourite evening meal now is a bowl of brocolli and mushrooms stir-fried in a little butter and olive oil with garlic and chilli flakes - I've also cut out all red meat, and have only had some chicken once, in two weeks.

It's all up to you, if you drink alcohol I think that's the easiest thing to limit first, then any processed foods and just bulk up with good vegetables and lean meat and lots of water. Best of luck it isn't easy, I've had a few false starts but I'm getting into now and doing it for the long haul as I have about another 3 stones to drop :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 8lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 2lbs
    14st 9.5lbs

Haven't really done a whole lot to warrant it but down 4lbs to 14st 5.5lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pretzill wrote: »
    Basil it was my Bp that made me get a little harder on myself recently. I was given a tablet but it made me so ill I had to stop and then I said right I'm losing the weight, it just can't be worse than feeling terrible. I'm almost 5kgs down in about two weeks sticking rigidly to a mix of low calorie and keto - so no potatos, bread or any cereals really, stopped eating greek yogurt, cheese, mayonaisse - (these are specifically things I tend to overdo it on) and stopped drinking alcohol completely. I'd say it's a lot of water weight gone but I have more energy - my favourite evening meal now is a bowl of brocolli and mushrooms stir-fried in a little butter and olive oil with garlic and chilli flakes - I've also cut out all red meat, and have only had some chicken once, in two weeks.

It's all up to you, if you drink alcohol I think that's the easiest thing to limit first, then any processed foods and just bulk up with good vegetables and lean meat and lots of water. Best of luck it isn't easy, I've had a few false starts but I'm getting into now and doing it for the long haul as I have about another 3 stones to drop :eek:

that all sounds great, one question though, why cut out red meat? nutritionally its better than chicken.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    that all sounds great, one question though, why cut out red meat? nutritionally its better than chicken.

No why for me, it's just co-incidental really that I've cut it out - I'm not a red meat lover to be honest and I wouldn't be a fan of chicken either - So a rib eye steak would win out over chicken any day but I'm sticking mainly to fish and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pretzill wrote: »
    No why for me, it's just co-incidental really that I've cut it out - I'm not a red meat lover to be honest and I wouldn't be a fan of chicken either - So a rib eye steak would win out over chicken any day but I'm sticking mainly to fish and veg.

fish is great from a nutrition perspective.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Starting 94kg
    Went up to: 95kg (with a few ups and downs inbetween)

Down to 90Kg today was hoping to get back into the 80's but that's for next week. Doing a lot more exercise and feeling a lot better, I know it will be slow but I'm prepared for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Its time for me to come in from out of the wilderness and get back on the wagon. I haven't done any excercise since a 10k run i was training for back in the middle of June.
    My Diet has been crap but Holidays etc all out of the way now.
    I dabbled in intermittent fasting back in July, it was working but it started affecting me at work in the mornings until I ate so had to pack it in.
    I lost nearly 2 stone earlier this year via excercise and calorie counting. its boring as its slow & steady but it works as people in here have proven.
    ive put more than a stone of what i lost back on now, but Im returning to what worked in April & May this year, Eating 1,800 kcal a day and get back exercising.

6kgs down. Starting September almost one stone lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb
    Week 7 22st 8lb
    Week 8 22st 6 1/2 lb
    Week 9 22st 4lb
    I Fell off the Wagon for the Summer.......
    Week 24 23st 2.5 lbs(Back on the Wagon now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I drive quiet a lot with work and all over the country, sometimes at short notice so not much moving around. I plan a couple of meals ahead which 90% of the time they are well proportion with plenty of veg and protein.
    I'm looking for some ideas of lunch to bring with me so when I'm stopped at a layby that would be healthy and filling. I sometimes make tuna (tinned) salads or mixed beans with chicken but im unsure of portion sizes?
    I've been getting back on track exercise wise and have started to use the rowing machine every 2nd morning completing 2000mtrs each time to get some sort of fittness before i start jogging again in a couple of weeks, which I loved.
    My goal is to lose 4-5 stone and I'm at 16st now and have been for the last year.
    Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
    Edit:
    I have MFP and I'm just under my calorie intake with my food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Lost 25kg last year, after a tough summer (tough as in a lot of drinking) I put 9kg of that back on :(, now 109kg.

Back on the prepped meals and exercise (weights/small cardio) 3 times a week to get back to 99.9kg.

@Payton - try incorporate some weight training into your exercise, leaner muscle burns more calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Back in the saddle today now after holidays with the kids. I'm trying to not track everything on MFP as I used to. It's not sustainable to do it forever and I find I can get a little obsessed with it.... Oh no I ate a grape and didn't log it!
    Trying to just make healthier choices through the day now. Had a big chicken and broccoli salad for lunch. I usually find I have more energy even after 24 hours of eating well. The weather is turning now so will start making the healthy comfort foods like soups and veggie bakes.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Back in the saddle today now after holidays with the kids. I'm trying to not track everything on MFP as I used to. It's not sustainable to do it forever and I find I can get a little obsessed with it.... Oh no I ate a grape and didn't log it!
    Trying to just make healthier choices through the day now. Had a big chicken and broccoli salad for lunch. I usually find I have more energy even after 24 hours of eating well. The weather is turning now so will start making the healthy comfort foods like soups and veggie bakes.
    I agree with the my fitness Pal thing but once you've used it for a few months you can eyeball how many calories are in the meal. I just aim to make every meal less than 500 calories roughly(when I'm being good)

P.s I weighed in at 100kg this morning:eek:

iamtony wrote: »
    Ok op I just weighed in. I'm 101.5kg which is 15 stone 13 poundish.
    I challenge you to a duel...a weight loss duel! First to loose 10 pounds wins round one!
    P. S your bmi says you obese.
    Right I weighed in at 102.4 kg. Back to square one but I'm not giving up. :mad: heavier than I was in my above post from a year and a half. I'm gonna have to get serious now. God knows what my blood pressure is:eek:
    Honestly the booze is my biggest problem. I was off it at the start of the year for a few months and I lost loads of weight. Mostly because I mad bad food choices whilst drunk and the next day while hungover. So the only way forward is to knock the drinking on the head again. Easier said than done!

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg
    Week 12 94.3kg
    Week 13 no weigh in
    Week 14 92.2
    Week 15 no weigh in
    Week 16 no weigh in
    Week 17 90.8kg

Total weight loss 12.6kg

Didn't weigh in for a few weeks, was getting the sitting room done up and the Wii U I weigh myself on was unplugged. Diet hasn't been great but I've stayed very active and my watch shows my burning about 700 calories each day. I can now stay active from 7 am till 7 pm no problem, on my feet all day.
    Only 0.8 to reach a goal I thought nearly impossible only a few months ago. Hopefully going to start the cycling again shortly to help get me well below 90kg. My ultimate goal is around 80kg with a bit of muscle tone.
    This was only may and I've put on 12kg since:mad:
    I gained 3kg a month. It's just as easy to put back on. Shame I just wasted all my hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

This was only may and I've put on 12kg since:mad:
    I gained 3kg a month. It's just as easy to put back on. Shame I just wasted all my hard work.

Easy to do unfortunately, that's only an extra odd 700 calories a day, sounds a lot but it's not when you break it down.

13 weeks left this year, drop a 0.5kg even before the end of the year and you will be well set up to hit the road running. That's my own plan anyway.

Easy to do unfortunately, that's only an extra odd 700 calories a day, sounds a lot but it's not when you break it down.

13 weeks left this year, drop a 0.5kg even before the end of the year and you will be well set up to hit the road running. That's my own plan anyway.
    I've been burning 700 calories most days according to my Apple watch so I'm doubling that id say. I'm still very active most of the time I rarely sit down during the day it's only about 9pm when I actually do.
    I'm hoping to stay active and improve the diet and hopefully I'll be feeling great when I get down this time.
    I'm going to aim for 1 kg per week fingers crossed

September was a lazy month when it came to diet, I swerved off Keto again and went back to carbs and wine! But I have kept up the exercise - I haven't weighed in since hitting the stone off mark, (*obvs afraid I put some back on) but I have being measuring myself and I have lost 8 inches on my hips, and 6 inches on my tummy - Tomorrow I'm back on low calorie for a while, as I still have stones to drop, but I'm happy with those measurements and with smaller sizes fitting me etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cenitech

I found a way to crush my cravings. So far I am loosing an average of 1.5lbs a week. I don't believe in this stuff but I just tried it and it worked. I'm into it for 7 weeks now and lost 11 lbs. Slowly but surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Didititian

This is such an inspiring feed to read! Loving the support and advice you are all offering. And so much of the advice is common sense and healthy. Keep up the hard work guys, and soon, it will become a habit rather than a chore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Whenever, I try to start the workouts or even running, I don't see a single change in weight but yes, when I reduce my intake, I see a real change. So, dieting is the key.

Advertisement