Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter opt out

Options
  • 23-09-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

after getting a letter that a smart meter will be installed in next 45 days. i want to opt out, anyone else try or looking to opt out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

after getting a letter that a smart meter will be installed in next 45 days. i want to opt out, anyone else try or looking to opt out?
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I'll take your place. Happily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Why do you want to opt out?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Reati wrote: »
    I'll take your place. Happily.

why do you want one so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This has to be up there with the silliest threads.

Why in the jaysus would a new meter bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

ted1 wrote: »
    Why?

Tinfoil hat stuff.

vandriver wrote: »
    Why?

privacy for one, i dont need providers monitoring and logging my usage and as a result my household habits(i cant find the detaila but i think the meter is polled every couple of minutes), after that i doubt that this data will be protected.
    two way communication, if you have a dispute with provider you can have your electricity shut of remotely. we will also be footing the bill for this for the next 20 years for the install of these meters
    i also do not see this resulting in any cost saving as they claim it will

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

privacy for one, i dont need providers monitoring and logging my usage and as a result my household habits(i cant find the detaila but i think the meter is polled every couple of minutes), after that i doubt that this data will be protected.
    two way communication, if you have a dispute with provider you can have your electricity shut of remotely. we will also be footing the bill for this for the next 20 years for the install of these meters

Like they’ll be sitting in a room looking at your electricity usage and guessing what you’re up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need to get off Facebook. Like asap shut your account down . Leave it off.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

good advice lad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you buy the expensive tinfoil or the cheap one ?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Like they’ll be sitting in a room looking at your electricity usage and guessing what you’re up to?

what ya think were in the 60s? where ya need to pay for a room and a pair of eyes to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Dont worry they barely care about your usage.

How is remotely shutting down different from a fella walking up and shutting ya off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You know they can shut you off if you have a dispute with them without having a smart meter

You know they can shut you off if you have a dispute with them without having a smart meter

yeah a half days job vs a click from an office

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Seeing as we're in the territory of wild speculation (confession - I know precisely nothing about smart meters, but never let that stop me commenting anyway) - think of all the money they'll save on meter readers, which will translate into reduced energy bills.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Seeing as we're in the territory of wild speculation (confession - I know precisely nothing about smart meters, but never let that stop me commenting anyway) - think of all the money they'll save on meter readers, which will translate into reduced energy bills.

you think those savings will be passed down to the customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

you think those savings will be passed down to the customer?

Of course, the savings are made by the customer not the energy company :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you buy the expensive tinfoil or the cheap one ?

2mm aluminium sheets do a better job and last longer

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what ya think were in the 60s? where ya need to pay for a room and a pair of eyes to do that?

Now you’re talking. So where’s the invasion of privacy?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Now you’re talking. So where’s the invasion of privacy?

alright, take johny sitting on the dole in a council house, which he occupies solely. if he claims not to be working bit his kettle goes off at 7am and the electricity usage is non existentant untill he return from work at 7pm sticks on the oven telly and kettle again. that can be used to flag him for someone claiming and working

whether what he is doing is legal or not, he is being monitored and that data is being logged and can be analysed for such purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:

Also stop using a cell phone. This tracks OPs every movement 24/7. Then there the old credit or debit card. This leaves a trail of where you have been & what you have spent your money on right down to how many cups of coffee you buy.

I'm looking forward to the installation of my smart meter and the eventual roll out of different tariffs for different times of the day. The money saved with lower off peak tariffs will more than pay for the smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

yeah a half days job vs a click from an office

It doesn't cost the last in the office anything to send someone out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

alright, take johny sitting on the dole in a council house, which he occupies solely. if he claims not to be working bit his kettle goes off at 7am and the electricity usage is non existentant untill he return from work at 7pm sticks on the oven telly and kettle again. that can be used to flag him for someone claiming and working

whether what he is doing is legal or not, he is being monitored and that data is being logged and can be analysed for such purposes

Do you actually believe this nonsense?

It doesn't cost the last in the office anything to send someone out

fuel and time are free now? never been cut off but there also be a question of access to the property/meter? not sure if you get cut off at the pole or at the meter it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A company can't share this information with the social welfare. This has been illegal long before GDPR. However revenue can look at your bank account and all the transactions made by card. This is a more scary thing than a smart meter imo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Also stop using a cell phone. This tracks OPs every movement 24/7. Then there the old credit or debit card. This leaves a trail of where you have been & what you have spent your money on right down to how many cups of coffee you buy.

I'm looking forward to the installation of my smart meter and the eventual roll out of different tariffs for different times of the day. The money saved with lower off peak tariffs will more than pay for the smart meter.

your right. but we have the option to use cash, turn of your phone, use a vpns or script blockers

if people want smart meters thats fine, but i think we should have the option to opt out from having our individual usage being logged

you will have to adjust your daily routines to benefit from off peak tarrifs, and as most work 9 to 5 or there abouts mornings and evening will be charged at a premium. so will probably benefit shift workerks at best. the trial carried out show a 2% saving a year from using a smart meter, for the sake of 25 euro a year i would rather not have my usage tracked, take away the 5.50 you are paying anualy to have the meter install you will be saving 20 quid

• Advertisement

Do you actually believe this nonsense?

your usage will be tracked by the minute so you can benefit from the new tariffs that will be introduced.
    that will be monitored and stored somewhere
    how that data will be used in future isnt in your hands, yes it might be protected by GDPR for now but laws can change

i was providing an example of how the data collected can be used against you and how it can be used to invade your privacy

Advertisement