Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter opt out

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Not a fool at all Im never at home in the week and if you get a smartmeter you can get one day in the weekend free power so thats the reason i want a smartmeter so i can do anything on that day that eats power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

I was with bord gais for last couple of months on the smart meter free Sunday offer. Actually really good and nice to freely turn on everything on a Sunday and not worry about it. Also have 8 kWh of batteries with my solar so would charge them up on the free electricity and use it for Sunday night/Monday day.

However moved to electric Ireland night boost as the 6c boost appeals to me as can charge my batteries on cheap rate and use them during day. Heavy items like dishwasher and washing machine can be set on their night rate at 7am when up in morning.

The bord gais website breaks the half hourly data down well and stores exactly what was used and amounts per 30 mins which match up with my own eddi monitoring system. Just wondering for anyone with electric Ireland smart plan is their user menu as clear as this with bord gais and can you see exact amounts broken down in kwh per half hour?

Good luck staying home all day Sunday to get your value so as you can make up for double the price on the other 6 days of the week :)

Seriuously though, you are clearly not a normal user if you out all week and only home at the weekend.

And if thats what you have to do to make the smart meter work, i dont see too many people wanting the smart meter.

Don't understand the double the price the rest of the week? It's 17c day units which seems comparable to most 24hr meter plans since the recent price rises?

But anyway, Yep working mon to Friday so very little usage then and solar installed so covers all daytime electricity. Home weekend and kids off school then so definitely was a blessing on the Sunday plan with getting all washing, drying, battery charging and few hours of cooking Sunday roast etc for free.

But like I said moved now to night boost plan so again will ask the question off genuine helpful users who may have a smart meter plan with electric Ireland would you have a sample image of electric Ireland half hourly usage? Many thanks.

• Advertisement

We have about 50% of our usage at night (12:00 - 9am) for 8c an hour including VAT.

The daytime is the other 50% at 16C inc vat.

Cant find any smart meter plan that compares to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Electric Ireland break it down into hourly useage in their daily view graphs. You can view it by cost or kWh.

Monthly view shows useage per day which can be viewed by cost, kWh or appliance category.

Year view shows useage per billing cycle which you can view by cost, kWh or appliance category.

No that is ev plan you are on and paying for day night meter but that plan is also going up 9.3% next week.

The plan I'm moving to will be 6c nighttime but only for the boost hours which I will be powering my house with thanks to solar and charging batteries at this very cheap rate.

Now we are differing in terms of what we require and I get you don't like smart plan prices etc as don't suit you so prefer instead of a back and forth on "smart meters are bad bad" that you will let someone answer my query on Electric Ireland half hourly usage and if it shows amounts per half hour in kWh. Many thanks to anyone who can help with this query.

Thanks a million, appreciate that.

Would you mind letting me know if there would be this detail like the second screenshot with actual figures per hour as use this to compare every now and then against my home monitoring.

Again thanks very much for your help

No. its just called EnergySaver30% electricity.

For our usage. 50% between the hours of 9:00am to midnight and 50% between midnight and 9am, no other smart meter plan even comes close.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, appreciate that.

Would you mind letting me know if there would be this detail like the second screenshot with actual figures per hour as use this to compare every now and then against my home monitoring.

Again thanks very much for your help

In electric ireland's daily view you can see the hourly usage (or cost) over any selected day. You can drill down from the monthly view or scroll right / left to the day you are interested in.

There's no neat tabular view like your second image but you can download up to two year's data giving energy consumption in half hourly intervals in csv format and view it in an external spreadsheet with date down the leftmost column and time in half hourly intervals across the top row.

Excellent that's perfect and still gives good level of control of cost. Many thanks for the detailed response 👍

• And I’ll correct you swiftly on that, they don’t need half an hour to shut the power off to your gaff, they simply pop to your gaff, open the meter box if it’s outside and rip the fuse clean out.

30 seconds.

in fact being able to control the supply from the office is a step in the right direction. If you were disconnected for non payment or the likes and you reach an agreement to pay or whatever rather than waiting 3-5 days or so + paying €80 iirc? for an ESB guy to pop out they can do it from there the very same as if your phone was cut off or internet.

don’t fear the future so much. You can’t run away from it.

oh and you could ring ur supplier right now call them every exploitive imaginable and they can’t just cut you off. They can’t just turn off the power because they dislike you & i’d nearly imagine were they to; the ESB would have some serious problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

don’t fear the future so much. You can’t run away from it.

Rather ironic when replying to posts from over 2 years ago...

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

From the 1st post and the derision that followed to the last page and the realities of the situation is quite some journey.

I'll be doing all i can to avoid a smart meter until the providers get real with the scandalous rates.

Finally got my account changed over to electric Ireland from bord gais after two weeks. But under usage it says not available yet try again later.

Did it take long after you joining for the daily usage to show in your account?

I was an existing electric Ireland customer + had my analog meter replaced by a smart meter so it wasn't like switching an existing active smart meter account.

The insights usage graph shows useage data up to three days ago so I guess it would take three days before it starts showing in the graphs.

If I go into the details tab and download useage data it shows half hourly data up to yesterday so this might be available a day or so after switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Do these meters have two way communication functionality where your provider can tell the meter what the current cost of electricity is? Surely a situation where you can set your dryer, dishwasher, EV etc in a standby state where the cost of electricity hits a certain rate and they'll all start working would make the most sense, as opposed to paying a set rate? I've seen times in the UK where electricity can even become free at stages during the night due to over supply and people have such a setup at home to take advantage.

• Advertisement

AFAIK know, no. They just log units used every quarter or half hour and upload the data to ESB networks periodically.

If you download the data you can see it with greater granularity than the online insights / usage graphs show (for electric Ireland anyway).

Advertisement