Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral out - keep going

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

thanks guys - can't wait for the pain and suffering tomorrow :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Treviso wrote: »

Embrace the pain :D

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Treviso wrote: »

I can highly recommend it ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well? How did it go?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well? How did it go?

Had a great race, felt comfortable from the start. Chip time of 1.33.39 improves my PB by over 5 mins from Cork. Will post a full report later on tonight

• Advertisement

DCM Training Week 13

I'll get the boring stuff out of the way before the race report. It was a mini taper week in preparation for Charleville

Tuesday 10th - 5m Recovery, 9.43 avg
    Ran this out on the farm, legs were fairly tired from last week's efforts but this did it the world of good. Last mile barefoot

Wednesday 11th - 8m GA, 9.14 avg
    Weird run on grass again. This was meant to be a V02 session but switched to a GA instead. Left foot was hurting and had a strange thing happen to my right knee. It was twinging all run, then it kinda shot with pain which caused me to slow. Then the pain disappeared, so I kept on going. Ran the last mile and a half barefoot to massage my left foot - done the job. That night my right knee was giving me pain at the back of the knee - see how the run would go the next day

Thursday 12th - 5m recovery, 9.42 avg
    Knee was still in pain in the morning but disappeared when running this recovery run. Kept on going. Last mile barefoot again

Saturday 14th - 2m run, 8.42 avg
    Had 4 pints the previous night as my boss was over from the US but felt ok this morning. Ran again in the farm where Leevale were doing some sort of interval training. The pace of them was scary. I probably increased my pace just by looking at them!

All in all it was a bit of a mini taper madness with the tiredness at the start, possible injury in the middle and feeling great the day before the race!

DCM Training Week 13a - continued

Charleville HM - Chip time 1.33.39

So the big day arrived. I had mental running dreams the night before but still got a good night sleep. My OH was also running this HM so we both were up before the kids to have our breakfast and get them ready for grannys house. Arrived in plenty of time, got our tshirt and did a mile warmup on the GAA pitch.

Back to the car to change into the Vaporflys. Was waiting for a bit at the car for OH as she was queueing for the toilets - they could've done with a few more tbh.
    Got to the start line and I probably went a bit too far back. You could really feel the heat here. Plan was to stick with the 1.35 pacers but the balloon was bit in front. Said goodbye to OH as she went further forward.

Mile 1 - 6.54
    Start was fast. To catch up with the 1.35 pacer, I did a smart manoeuvre onto the footpath and was able to pass people with ease. 1st mile is a good bit downhill so when I saw the pace I wasn't too concerned.

Mile 2-5 - 7.14, 7.11, 7.12, 7.15
    After the first mile, I settled into a nice rhythm of 7.15 pace which was my pre race strategy. The 1.35 pacer was starting to move away from me but I wasn't panicking. Was feeling very comfortable but knew it was early days. A few runners were breathing very heavily around me - bit early for that I thought. The heat didn't feel like a factor - it normally doesn't affect me as much as others.

Mile 6-8 - 7.18, 6.59, 7.08
    Took first gel before the town of Kilmallock. Runners around me were starting to thin out and pacer was a bit in front of me. It was mile 6 where I felt the wind for the first time as we turned for home. I made the decision to put some effort in to catch the pacer group to get some shelter. Ran with the group for these miles along the narrow roads. Was feeling really good though. I thought about pushing on at mile 8 or 9 but decided not to go too early - decided to wait till 10 or 11.

Mile 9-12 - 7.20, 7.03, 7.07, 6.55
    Around 9.5 miles, either the pace of the group slowed or I got faster but all of a sudden I was pushing out from the group. I felt good so said I would commit to it. In my head, I would try 4x7min miles to get me home. At this point I was passing runners left and right, every time I passed a group I would hone in on the next to shelter from the wind. It felt like I was running a 5k when everyone else was doing a HM! 2nd gel at mile 10 for an extra boost. Up ahead in the distance on the long straight I spot my OH, little did she realise she now had a target on her back :D

Mile 13 & the rest - 6.56, 5.40
    With a mile to go, I was starting to feel it and realised there was a a drag coming up. The crowds started to gather so I was able to keep the pace going. I also realised I wouldn't catch my OH going into the final turn :rolleyes:

I took the final sprint as a stride and managed to reach into 4.xx min/mile pace passed the finishing line. Clock was showing 1.33.50 so I was delighted.

Up to give my OH a hug and got caught by a crafty photographer wanting a photo of the two of us - both of us out of breath & covered in sweat (hopefully he deleted it for quality control reasons). Had to sit down and felt like throwing up - first time that's happened but it quickly passes. Did a quick mile cool down and had to leave straight away to get the kids from the multiple birthday parties they were at today. Sudden panic from the OH that I may have beaten her by chip time soon evaporates as she beats me by 7 seconds

Crazy race for me - never felt the same suffering as I did for the Cork Half in June and still knocked over 5 min off the PB. Sitting here tonight and my legs are feeling really good too - long may this improvement continue before I start to plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the PB T, super job on your pacing the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Great run and pacing - congrats again on the PB. Good to see the training sessions are paying off, an excellent motivator.

DCM Training Week 13b

This was an extra buffer week from the training plan to help recover from Charleville.

Tuesday 17th - 5m recovery, 9.31avg
    Legs felt good after the HM so this run was a bit of the fast side. On grass again with the last mile barefoot.

Wednesday 18th - 8m GA, 9.04avg
    Ran on grass and was a bit too fast again. Legs were feeling good though so no harm really. Had first taste of Cookies & cream milk, not too bad but will continue with the chocolate milk. Would be afraid that I get hooked on it and they stop making it

Thursday 19th - 11m MLR, 8.44avg
    Was going to do a V02 session for this run but felt nothing to be gained by doing speedwork. Extra miles would probably be more beneficial. Run was really comfortable going around Mahon railway and Passage. Weird not running on grass :D

Saturday 21st - 5m recovery, 9.39avg
    Wasn't feeling great this day so struggled around the farm for this run. Last mile barefoot. As the day went on, I was feeling worse and worse - symptoms were very similar to this - Manflu. I didn't know if I would be able to do the full distance the next day

Sunday 22nd - 18m MLR, 8.56avg
    I woke up feeling the same so I had two choices, go to A&E or do the 18m run. I felt it would be quicker to get the 18m run done. Spent the first 4-5 miles coughing, weezing, sniffing, sneezing my way around the Mahon walkway. Had my headphones in so didn't care but I must've scared everyone I went past.

Took a gel at mile 11 to give myself a boost and it worked until mile 16. I really started to feel it then but the last 2 miles were the quickest - go figure. Felt wrecked after the run and feeling the deadly effects of Manflu. What better way to spend the afternoon but in a kids indoor play centre - the humanity!!

Weekly mileage - 47 miles
    Yearly mileage - 1220 miles

DCM TRAINING - WEEK 14
    Stepback week next week. Meant to do a 8-15k race on Saturday but slim pickings in Munster next weekend. OH is doing parkrun so not an option. Might do a 10k time trial

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total
    P&D|Rest|V02Max 8m w/5x600m|11m MLR|Rest|4m recovery, 6x100m|8-15k Race|4m recovery|36M

So as I lay on my deathbed (couch at home), my running life flashing before me, it's roughly around this time last year I started to run. Looking at Garmin connect, my week last year was:

Tuesday - 6 mile lunch run in work - 10.17avg. I remember struggling so much for this run
    Sunday - 5 mile run in UCC farm - 9.07avg. As I was running so little, I tended to do them way too fast.

Shows the progress I've made since then. I would've laughed at you back then if you told me the mileage I am currently doing. Plenty more improvement to come from me, provided I survive the night - say a prayer for me :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Really hope you survive the night and more importantly that your other half does too as it’s so hard to care for somebody suffering from man flu. Wishing her all the best;):D

In my worry of your serious illness I forgot to congratulate you on a great week’s running ;)

Was wondering when you were going to introduce your spare buffer week, now I have nobody to tell me how tough the coming week is going to be!

Great weeks running, make sure and take lots and lots of fluids on board and lots of sleep and ya will be as right as rain quick enough.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Really hope you survive the night and more importantly that your other half does too as it’s so hard to care for somebody suffering from man flu. Wishing her all the best;):D

In my worry of your serious illness I forgot to congratulate you on a great week’s running ;)

Thanks K, I see from your log that you too were under the weather too over the weekend. Seems to be a lot of sickness going around - always happens when the kids go back to school.

I did survive the night thankfully - not sure I'm getting the correct amount of sympathy though :rolleyes:

medical-colds-flu-influenza-symptom-women-dcln207_low.jpg

Was wondering when you were going to introduce your spare buffer week, now I have nobody to tell me how tough the coming week is going to be!

Great weeks running, make sure and take lots and lots of fluids on board and lots of sleep and ya will be as right as rain quick enough.

Cheers J, I'm really happy I added in the extra 2 weeks into the plan (1 for hols and 1 for Charleville) - would really recommend it. Makes the training last 18 weeks but it's worth it.

Now we can all enjoy the rest of the plan together!

DCM Training Week 14

Made a mistake on my training plan for this week as I had a 4m recovery run down for Sunday instead of a 17m LSR. I realised the error early in the week but it made some difference. It changed my nice week of training to a more daunting challenge but I'm glad I checked the book though.

Tuesday 24th - 8m V02, 5x600m
    Unusual start to the week with a V02 session, but "only" 600m reps. Did 3 miles warmup and started the reps, aiming for 6.15min/mile pace, with 90s recoveries. Reps times were
    Consistent times you can see but I was made work for them. Was pushing myself a lot for the last 2. 1 mile cool down

Wednesday 25th - 11m MLR, 8.42avg
    Nice run down along Passage and around the mahon loop. Not much to note about it

Friday 27th - 4m Recovery w6x100m, 9.28avg
    First visit of the week to UCC farm for a run on grass. Will run as much as I can on grass for the remainder of the training plan. Felt good for the strides

Saturday 28th - 8-15k Race
    So plan was to run a 8-15k race but with lack of races around Munster and OH doing parkrun, I had no option but to do a time trial. I felt I could do a 10k TT at 7min/mile pace and get a new PB for that distance. Did a 2 mille warmup with some dynamic stretches. Started out a bit too fast but soon settled into a rhythm. Mile 1-3 went through at 6.55,7.01 & 7.01.

Was seriously feeling it at 3.5miles and decided to cut the TT to 5 miles instead. No way I could keep that pace for the 6.2m. Last 2 miles were 7.00 & 6.56, with 1 mile cool down. It's amazing what race conditions can do for your pace. 2 weeks ago I averaged 7.06 at Charleville HM and here I was struggling to do 5 :rolleyes:

Sunday 29th - 4m Recovery 17m MLR, 8.48avg
    So glad I didn't do a race yesterday as legs were not as achy as they were the last time I had to do a long run after a race. I felt that while it would be a struggle today, I should be able to get through it. Was expecting a lot of rain but whilst a bit windy, conditions were quite good.

Plan was 6m @MP+20%, 6m@MP+15%, 5m@MP+10% (last mile @MP if possible). First loop of Mahon and things felt ok, legs were a bit weary but was keeping pace comfortable. Collected a bottle of water as I went past the car along the Passage walkway. Thankfully I didn't have to go the whole way down so it felt a lot shorter this time around.

Took a gel at mile 10 as I started on the 2nd loop of Mahon. I didn't want to take the gel but was conscious of my legs getting too achy and struggling during the last few miles. Miles were now at MP+10% and the faster pace seemed to suit me better. Was afraid it was just the effects of the gel but whilst my legs were heavy, I was able to ignore them and push along at a constant pace. I guess I will really need that trait for the marathon!

For the last 2 miles, I planned not to run the last mile at MP but whatever way it happened, my pace increased subconsciously and 2nd last mile was close to MP. There was a runner in front of me so I guess I was trying to catch and pass him. Last mile was faster than MP but it was comfortable, was trying to slow myself down tbh.

Was really happy how I got through this run and how I felt towards the end and afterwards. Really hard looking week on paper but happy with how it went.

Weekly mileage - 49 miles
    Year to date - 1345 miles

DCM Training Week 15
    Another cracker of a week with a V02, 11m MLR and last 20 mile run

P&D|Rest|7m Recovery, 6x100m|10m V02, 4x1200m|Rest|11m MLR|4m Recovery|20m MLR|52M

These long runs are becoming a bit of a slog but will be glad to get that last 20m done next Sunday. Looks like the proper taper period on this plan is only 2 weeks so will need to be careful with paces for the remainder of it, and maybe reduce the amount of mileage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

T, you are doing super training, you are more than prepared, don’t be afraid to take some mileage off, the hard work is nearly done. It’s your first marathon, but no matter how many marathons people have run, it’s still a serious challenge, the challenge being getting to the start line intact.

Enjoy this week as the accumulation of your training, the final training test, but make sure you taper so that you feel refreshed, I will definitely be reducing the mileage from what is prescribed in the plan.

The P&D taper is probably more like 10 days - but that's OK. The taper is all about reducing the mileage but maintaining the intensity so you don't lose the zip in your legs. You'll probably feel sluggish in the final week nevertheless but in my experience that's a good sign and doesn't have any negative consequences on the day. Best of luck with the final few weeks.

The P&D taper is probably more like 10 days - but that's OK. The taper is all about reducing the mileage but maintaining the intensity so you don't lose the zip in your legs. You'll probably feel sluggish in the final week nevertheless but in my experience that's a good sign and doesn't have any negative consequences on the day. Best of luck with the final few weeks.

Thanks Murph_D, that will give me reassurance during the taper madness period!

That’s great to know thanks. Just wondering, did you do the third 8-10k tune up race 2 weeks before your marathon and the 3x1600m intervals at 5k pace 10 days before it. They are the 2 sessions that I’m a bit worried about from here until DCM.

Apologies for hijacking your thread T!

That’s great to know thanks. Just wondering, did you do the third 8-10k tune up race 2 weeks before your marathon and the 3x1600m intervals at 5k pace 10 days before it. They are the 2 sessions that I’m a bit worried about from here until DCM.

Apologies for hijacking your thread T!

I’ve used P&D four times to date. Have done a couple of tune-ups six and four weeks out. As regards the ones two weeks out, I’ve raced twice - a 5k parkrun before Cork 2016 (where I blew up, according to my records) and the Raheny 5 mile (a PB) two weeks before Donadea 2017. The 3x1600 is a session I would normally enjoy but having checked, I’ve also canned that twice - once because I was at the club and did the session on offer there instead, and the other time (just after the Raheny PB) because I felt like some extra recovery. Generally I would follow the one-day-recovery-per-mile-raced rule, and if the session is within that window, I’d avoid or reschedule it. So I think you’re right to be wary - maybe do the tune-up or the session, but not both.

• Advertisement

DCM Training Week 15

This week was a bit of a blur to be honest, tried to only focus on one run at a time. The plan is starting to wear me down mentally but nearly there and it'll be taper time soon. Can't be wearing me down too much as I've already been looking for the next plan to do once I recover from DCM!!

Tuesday 1st - 7m Recovery, 6x100m.
    Can't remember anything about this run apart from thinking 7m is a bit much for a recovery run! Did 6miles, strides which went ok and then 1 mile barefoot.

Wednesday 2nd - V02 10m, 4x1200m
    10 miles for a V02 again was a bit much too :D Did a 4 mile warmup and started on the reps. Couldn't quite get to the 6.15 pace that i did for the 600m reps last week but kept it to 6.30min/mile pace. Session reps were
    4.47, 4.47, 4.56 & 4.45
    Was fighting a stitch for the third one. 2 mile cool down. Happy with how it went

Friday 4th - 11m MLR, 8.54avg
    Surprisingly had a 12m run in my head for this so 1 mile less was welcomed. Decided to run this on grass to take it easy on the legs. UCC Farm was a bit muddy so probably took more out of the legs than I thought it would. Did 3m @MP+20%, 4m @MP+15% and 4m @MP+10%

Saturday 5th - 4m recovery, 9.42avg
    Horrible day for a run as it was raining incessantly. Went to the farm again but it was super muddy. Took my XC shoes out of the boot for the 1st time since last February I think. They were the 2nd pair of running shoes I bought in order for me to be able to run on grass during the winter. Was soaked for the whole run and was sinking into the mud for each step. Recovery run it was not!

Sunday 6th - 20m MLR, 8.56avg
    Third and last 20m run on the plan. Plan was to do 7m @MP+20%, 7m @MP+15% & 6m @MP+10% (see if I could do last mile at MP). Wore my running belt with 3 gels and DCM running clothes too to try to mimic the marathon run a bit. Legs were tired, more than normal. I think the two runs previously had taken their toll.

Weather was good and I had to do the run a bit later than normal, so the walkways on which most of the run would be on were very busy. I spent the first half of the run cursing all the pedestrians taking up the whole path, speeding cyclists and long lead dog walkers. 2nd half of the run I chilled out a bit more, chuckling to myself as I had to second guess the direction a toddler would take on his balance bike, failed obviously.

First 7m went ok, took a gel at mile 5, step up of pace to 9min miles felt good too. Legs were weary but plodded along. Another gel at mile 10. Passed by the car at mile 13m and took the belt off. The step up from 9min/mile to 8.30 at mile 14m was a tough one. Last gel at 15m and was hoping this would carry me to the finish.

With 4 mile to go, my legs were burning but I was able to keep going on pace. It's something that I feel confident about going into DCM, that I can keep going on pace for miles despite the hurt (how long I could go on for is another story!). Struggling for last 2 miles but as usual the pace increases, with the last one being at marathon pace.

Legs are quite tired this evening so hopefully will rest up tomorrow before a V02 session on Tuesday :eek::eek:

Weekly mileage - 53 miles
    Year to date - 1322 miles

Mileage decreases next week but it's not a taper week. V02 session, expected 8-10k race followed by a 16m MLR. Not sure on the 8-10k race, might do a LT paced parkrun or 5 mile MP run.

P&D|Rest|8m V02, 5x600m|6m Recovery|Rest|4m Recovery, 6x100m|8-10k race|16m MLR|40M

Ordered some Maurten caffeine gels so they should arrive next week. Will try one out next Sunday. Plan is to have 3 normal gels & 2 caffeine ones for later in the race.

Tuesday 8th - 8m V02 5x600m, 1.30 recovery

Taper? Anyone know what this taper thing is that the novice thread is talking about? Still a bit more work for me to do.......

Going from a 20 mile run into a V02 session had me apprehensive, but it was only 600m. Legs still felt tired from run Sunday, even after the rest day.

Started off with a 4 mile warmup and then started on the reps. Kept the pace at 6.30min/mile, could've pushed it to 6.15 but didn't want to risk any injury. Rep times were
    2.22, 2.24, 2.23, 2.24 & 2.22
    They felt ok, only started to really feel it end of last one. Legs actually felt a bit spritely after the run, better than before it. Guess these P&D lads actually know what they are talking about!

Decided that I will do 3 miles on Saturday at LT pace instead of a race. Bit of a compromise. Will also do the final V02 session next week too, then the actually taper will begin

Wednesday 9th - 5m Recovery, 9.54avg

Strange run this, got a pain in the chest as soon as I started running, felt like it was either a stitch, heartburn or the start of a heart attack!! Felt like it was too high to be a stitch. Stopped a few times to see if I could shake it off but no luck. I was wondering if it was some sort of pulled/strained muscle. Anyway, continued on running and at least the pain was making me slow my pace down. Decided at 3 miles to cut the run short at 4, but pain subsided by then so I did a mile barefoot to give my feet some relief.

Friday 11th - 4m Recovery, 6x100m

A pain free run thankfully - not sure what happened on Wednesday. 3.5m at recovery pace, then quite average strides and finished off with half mile barefoot.

Saturday 12th - 6m w 3@LT pace

So this was meant to be a 8-10k race but no way I was doing that. Debated between 5 miles at MP pace or 3 miles at LT. Went with LT pace which would now be 7min/mile after Charleville. Mentally I was dismissing this as easy cos it was only 3 miles! Did 2 miles warmup and started at a comfortable LT pace, except I was at 7.30 pace. Upped it and 1st mile came in on target - 7.00. 2nd mile and the legs felt fine - 6.53. 3rd mile and started to feel it towards the end - 6.44. Went quicker than LT pace at the end but all good. Legs felt ok that day

Sunday 13th - 16m MLR, 8.53avg

With taper in my mind, I was aware that this run might be a struggle mentally as it was "only" 16 miles. I decided to switch up the direction of the run and where I would start/finish, it worked really well. Upon arriving at the start, I noticed I forgot my headphones - doh! First long run without music, knew there would be some weird conversations with myself coming up.

The caffeine Maurten gels arrived during the week so decided to try one of these during the run. Plan was 5m @MP+20%, 6m @MP+15% & 5m @MP+10% - didn't want to finish on a MP mile. First 10 miles went by quickly and tried the gel. Consistency wise it was a bit denser than the original, and I wasn't that much a fan of the taste either (not a fan of caffeine). But.......it gave a better jolt of energy in my mind (although thats maybe cause I was feeling good during the run). So for DCM, I will use 3 original and then 2 caffeines - good to have this sorted.

Last 3 miles and I was feeling good, legs a small bit achy but so used to it at this stage. Had to make myself slow down and not try to go faster than 8.30min/mile target, was really hard to do especially in the last mile. Very pleased with how the run went and how I felt afterwards.

Mileage this week - 40
    Year so far - 1438

One last session left on Wednesday and only 8m less mileage

P&D|Rest|7m GA, 8x100m|8m V02 3x1600m|Rest|5m Recovery, 6x100m|rest|12m MLR|32M

I have mixed feelings between trusting the plan and reducing the mileage a bit more myself. Will knock a few miles off Tues & Wed runs and see how I feel about the strides too. I am feeling good though so I'm in as good a position as I could have hoped for

DCM Training Week 17

Such a strange week this was, feelings of anger and resentment towards all my runs that are hard to understand. Guess it was me thinking I'm in taper mode but not feeling like I am :confused:

Tuesday 15th - 5m GA, 6x100m

Was meant to be 7m GA with 8x100m but decided to reduce it to 5m beforehand. UCC farm was a bit muddy so effort levels for 5m would've been the same as 7 I think. Nice change to be running in XC shoes. Did 1 mile barefoot after strides.

Wednesday 16th - 7m V02, 3x1600m (4min rec)

Both dreaded and looked forward to this run. Nice to run at a fast mile pace but was concerned about getting an injury. Mile reps were tough going but was able to keep it to a decent pace
    6.26, 6.22 and 6.21
    Happy with those, not far off my 6.15 5k avg.

Friday 18th - 4m recovery, 6x100m

More strides, why! Was meant to be 5m recovery but again knocked a mile off beforehand. More grass running today finishing with some half a$$ed strides.

Sunday 20th - 12 MLR, 9.06avg

Not a bad run today, decided to slow the paces down to the correct pacing for 8min/miles. So 4 miles MP+20% was 9.36min/mile, 4@MP+15% was around 9.12 and 4@MP+10% had me finishing at 8.48. All felt so comfortable until the last 2 miles. I guessed my legs told me if I wanted to run this easy, they wouldn't make it easy for me!

Mileage this week - 30 miles
    Year so far - 1468 miles

DCM Week 18

P&D|Rest|6m Recovery|7m Dress Rehearsal, 2@MP|Rest|5m Recovery, 6x100m|4m Recovery|DCM|22M+26.2

I will look to reduce the mileage again next week, not confident enough to do all miles without feeling that it will affect my performance next weekend.

So here we are, final week of training before the big day arrives. I've already been torturing myself mentally over the race thus far, so I'm guessing this week it will go into overdrive.

The plan at the moment is to wait at the back of wave 1 until wave 2 come to the start line. My thinking is by going off at the head of the 3.30 pacers I won't have to deal with as much congestion as behind them. I will then leave the pacers go for the first 7 miles and then try to reel them back slowly. Any thoughts on this strategy welcomed!

I'm both confident and nervous about whether I can hit 3.30. When I think back on the training plan, it couldn't have gone any better. I have run times for 5k & HM that I didn't think were possible for me this year. Had no injuries, major niggles or missed any runs so preparations have been ideal. If I don't manage it on the day for whatever reason, the training has been an immense success.

Plan on getting plenty of sleep this week, as well as keeping the diet as healthy as I can. Do as little as possible which I am already an expert at. Get my preparations for the day/night planned out in my head. I've warned my OH that I will asking all sorts of random questions to her at all times this week.

Been nearly 2 months since I had a drink and ages since I had a greasy takeaway. Cannot wait for McGrattans next Sunday, followed by the most unhealthy takeaway in Dublin that I can find.

DCM Training Week 18

Tuesday 22nd - 5m Recovery

Did some miles really slowly

Wednesday 23rd - 6m w 2@MP

More miles with 2 at marathon pace - felt comfortable enough

Friday 25th - 4m recovery

who cares?

Saturday 26th - ????

Might run to the expo & back.

I think I've gone slightly mad this week alright but it's nearly here. I think I have my race plan sorted. Go out at the head of wave 2, streets should be clear enough. No fear of me shooting off too fast, I hope. Will use that bungee rope analogy with the pacers like I always do in races

My biggest decision for marathon day will be whether I go back to shower/get changed after the race or go straight to McGrattans :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck Sunday. Hope to meet you in McGrattans - showered or unshowered.

All the very best on Sunday T!

You have a super block of consistent training done so trust your body on the day and take each mile as it comes. You are gonna smash it lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow T!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Have a great run tomorrow. I may well see you on the start line.

Advertisement