Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Virtually every house in the country and certainly the middle class homes who listen to Lyric have access to the internet. They can access any number of classical radio stations, many far better than Lyric.

There was an argument for Lyric when it was first launched and FM radio dominated. But that argument is gone now with the advancements in technology.

Its a heavily subsidised station appealing to a small and likely declining audience. I'm not surprised RTE are reviewing its operations.

can you tell me what frequency to i tune my car radio in to receive these stations?

ETA:and if you think that lyric only plays classical music then you have clearly never listened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Virtually every house in the country and certainly the middle class homes who listen to Lyric have access to the internet. They can access any number of classical radio stations, many far better than Lyric.

There was an argument for Lyric when it was first launched and FM radio dominated. But that argument is gone now with the advancements in technology.

Its a heavily subsidised station appealing to a small and likely declining audience. I'm not surprised RTE are reviewing its operations.

I know there are lots of stations on the internet.
    FM radio is available when you are out and about. That's its USP.

I don't know if €6m a year is too much but I listen to it and would miss it.
    I hope they don't close it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Another day of repeats for tomorrow 21 SEP ,, even a repeat of a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys at the prime slot of 21:20.

And a kids movie "Minions" on at 18:35.

Once again, I ask,, Why am being asked to pay for this pure rubbish.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

of course it is subsidised. it is public service broadcasting. public service broadcasting does not exist to make mony.

They should aim to break even. They are not breaking even. We've been told repeatedly they are in financial crisis.

They should aim to break even. They are not breaking even. We've been told repeatedly they are in financial crisis.

Lyric costs 6m a year to run. even if they closed it down it would make feck all difference to RTEs finances. Find another part of RTE that you know nothing about to pick on.

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    Another day of repeats for tomorrow 21 SEP ,, even a repeat of a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys at the prime slot of 21:20.

a kids movie at teatime on a saturday sounds ace. and minions is a good movie.

The first thing any business including a public sector business does in a financial crisis is review all areas of operation, identify and eliminate areas of duplication, wastage and obsolescence. RTE are guilty of reluctance to deal with all 3 areas. They need to consolidate around a core of operations.

RTE could afford to roll out stations like Lyric when their commercial revenue was far bigger and they had virtually no competitors. But times have changed, only they have failed to understand this. They still think they are the only national broadcaster with no commercial rivals competing for ad revenue.

Lyric costs 6m a year to run. even if they closed it down it would make feck all difference to RTEs finances. Find another part of RTE that you know nothing about to pick on.

Yeh, sure 6 million is nothing ;)

Any other sacred cows in RTE you want to protect? The orchestras?

The problem is as soon as anyone tries to deal with the financial crisis, someone says "yeh but you can't touch the station I and a handful of others listen to".

Like I said its a badly run basketcase that deserves not a penny more.

a kids movie at teatime on a saturday sounds ace. and minions is a good movie.

Its a kids movie. At teatime.

Ex employee of RTE by any chance?

Yeh, sure 6 million is nothing ;)

Any other sacred cows in RTE you want to protect? The orchestras?

The problem is as soon as anyone tries to deal with the financial crisis, someone says "yeh but you can't touch the station I and a handful of others listen to".

Like I said its a badly run basketcase that deserves not a penny more.

Do we not contribute towards RTE as well? do we not deserve to be served by RTE as well? Your whole schtick seems to be "close down the bits of RTE that i dont use". God forbid that Rte might subsidise a station like lyric that contributes somebody culturally to the country.

• Advertisement

Its a kids movie. At teatime.

Ex employee of RTE by any chance?

You keep saying that everybody that disagrees with you must have skin in the game with RTE. Perhaps try posting intelligently instead of the same ad hom nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That is a massively subsidised station and you can find numerous stations like it using Tune in, Alexa or Google Home.

Tune in, Alexa or Google do not have the same portability as fm radio currently, as the internet coverage at a standard to allow people to use those services reliably doesn't exist across the whole country.
    so the small subsidy to provide the programming that lyric provides is justified, as the station meetss the public service remit. the fact you don't like what lyric provides matters not in terms of that fact.

satguy wrote: »

you aren't being asked to pay for any rubbish. you are being told you must pay for a license to own a device capable of receiving a terrestrial television signal, for which the revenue collected happens to go to the state broadcaster. that charge would likely remain regardless of whether we were to continue to have a state broadcaster or not, and it will probably change in the future to include devices capable of receiving all kinds of television.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lyric costs 6m a year to run. even if they closed it down it would make feck all difference to RTEs finances. .

You think a 2% saving in operating costs would make "feck all difference"?

I sincerely hope you're never put in charge of anything more important than a wheelie bin

Its mind boggling how costs continue to rise at RTE while the schedule is filled with repeats.

The broadcaster’s top line has actually remained steady over the last five years. From 2013 until 2018, its public revenues rose by €6.7 million, while commercial revenues rose by €4.8 million.
    But operating costs over the same period have risen by €33 million. RTÉ’s 1,800 staff are understandably weary of cuts but the fact remains that, in the last five years, personnel costs are up €20 million. Non-staff operating costs have risen by €13 million, with the bulk of that rise spent on buying programmes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rté-needs-a-revenue-boost-but-its-woes-are-all-of-its-own-making-1.4012756

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You think a 2% saving in operating costs would make "feck all difference"?

I sincerely hope you're never put in charge of anything more important than a wheelie bin

it would make a difference alright, it would mean an audience once served by rte, not being served, and having a legitimate complaint about not being served.
    of course the "i don't like it so it shouldn't exist/should be shut down/rte should only cater to my personal taste" brigade probably won't care about that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

You keep saying that everybody that disagrees with you must have skin in the game with RTE. Perhaps try posting intelligently instead of the same ad hom nonsense.

Where and what would you cut at RTE to balance the books? Bearing in mind they are losing something like €13 million annually.

it would make a difference alright, it would mean an audience once served by rte, not being served, and having a legitimate complaint about not being served.
    of course the "i don't like it so it shouldn't exist/should be shut down/rte should only cater to my personal taste" brigade probably won't care about that.

Here's 10 other classical music stations that cater to their taste.

http://www.favorite-classical-composers.com/classical-music-radio.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Here's 10 other classical music stations that cater to their taste.

http://www.favorite-classical-composers.com/classical-music-radio.html

IF you could fire up instructions on how you would receive that via FM or a premises with no broadband or no capable broadband.

Boggles wrote: »
    IF you could fire up instructions on how you would receive that via FM or a premises with no broadband or no capable broadband.

I regularly listen to tune in on my mobile phone.

Are you living in a cave or something? Its beginning to come across that way.

Where and what would you cut at RTE to balance the books? Bearing in mind they are losing something like €13 million annually.

I haven't seen their books so i dont know their cost base. Neither do you but that doesnt stop you ****ing on.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen their books so i dont know their cost base. Neither do you but that doesnt stop you ****ing on.

Their annual report is available online. Google is a great thing. Take a look over it and tell us where you'd make cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I regularly listen to tune in on my mobile phone.

Are you living in a cave or something? Its beginning to come across that way.

Me no.

But in terms of mobile data reception or anything resembling broadband, many people might aswell be.

Surely you must have heard about it, it's been in the news quite regularly.

Hang on a sec - we'll start again, you are familiar that there is other people in the country and their situation, taste or likes are not the same as yours?

Their annual report is available online. Google is a great thing. Take a look over it and tell us where you'd make cuts.

nah we should just give them all the money they want. It has the added bonus of annoying people like you.

Boggles wrote: »
    Me no.

But in terms of mobile data reception or anything resembling broadband, many people might aswell be.

Surely you must have heard about it, it's been in the news quite regularly.

Hang on a sec - we'll start again, you are familiar that there is other people in the country and their situation, taste or likes are not the same as yours?

I know of people who get very poor FM radio signal and must listen to Irish radio stations online so the reverse also applies.

Are you familiar with the fact RTE are loss making and will be into the future? And their standard continues to decline.

The more they lose, the worse things get, including programs.

In that situation you consolidate around fewer stations with higher quality, instead of spreading yourself thinly which is what RTE are doing. You also eliminate duplication and wastage.

The overwhelming majority have access to internet either broadband or on their phone. The case for another classical station when there are already 10 others out there is zero.

I know of people who get very poor FM radio signal and must listen to Irish radio stations online so the reverse also applies.

Are you familiar with the fact RTE are loss making and will be into the future? And their standard continues to decline.

The more they lose, the worse things get, including programs.

In that situation you consolidate around fewer stations with higher quality, instead of spreading yourself thinly which is what RTE are doing. You also eliminate duplication and wastage.

The overwhelming majority have access to internet either broadband or on their phone. The case for another classical station when there are already 10 others out there is zero.

they should just cut out TG4, RNaG and all the other irish language stuff they spend money on. that would clear their annual deficit and as i dont listen to any of it that is the best solution.

nah we should just give them all the money they want. It has the added bonus of annoying people like you.

You couldn't be arsed looking it up. Just like you couldn't be arsed using tune in to find other classical radio stations.
    A common mindset no doubt and explains why RTE spend 6 million on a station that's duplicated by others when they are already bankrupt.

they should just cut out TG4, RNaG and all the other irish language stuff they spend money on. that would clear their annual deficit and as i dont listen to any of it that is the best solution.

TG4 and RNG are not duplicated by anyone else and run very competent operations with very high quality, particularly TG4.

You couldn't be arsed looking it up. Just like you couldn't be arsed using tune in to find other classical radio stations.
    A common mindset no doubt and explains why RTE spend 6 million on a station that's duplicated by others when they are already bankrupt.

actually i did look it up. they spent 4.31M on Lyric last year not 6. they give no breakdown for their costs so looking at their annual report was pretty useless.

TG4 and RNG are not duplicated by anyone else and run very competent operations with very high quality, particularly TG4.

I dont care. I dont use them so they have to go.

• Advertisement

actually i did look it up. they spent 4.31M on Lyric last year not 6. they give no breakdown for their costs so looking at their annual report was pretty useless.

4.3 million too much.

But Lyric is just one example.

The salaries of some presenters on most stations for in many cases a few hours airtime a week are outrageous. Probably the number one area that needs cutting back.

Advertisement