Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Boggles wrote: »
    Or sending that annoying Brennan hotelier fella and the rest to SA and Asia or
    Sending brannon to Australia
    Of course they have to send the ear to the ground crew overseas any chance they get
    Never mind that Hector lad on tg4 leppin all the way from siberia to China
    They even managed to get a man most unsuitable for a travel programme Charlie Bird to go to Africa and one of the poles.. He complained all the way
    just off the top of my head there's plenty more

All do well above average in ratings.

I don't see a problem with that to be honest, that's exactly what RTE need to be doing.

You are basing public service broadcasting on your own personal taste, that is your first and biggest mistake.
    So what part of public service are the above programmes serving?
    These programmes belong on a commercial station where they should sink or swim on the advertising revenue etc they bring in if they really are so popular. I don't want my €160 going towards funding the travels of that shower. One proper public service channel is quite enough for a country of our size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If RTE was only fulfilling it's public service remit it would die a complete death, we'd probably have one radio station and one or two TV stations that would be so bland no one would watch, commercial revenue would dry up and that would be that.

It's a terrible idea.

RTE have a huge opportunity IMO to buy in the pick of content for relatively cheap off the big streamers who are about to dilute their content to within an inch of their lives.

They should also up their collaborations with the big hitters, Canal+, Channel 4, BBC, etc.

I see nothing but opportunities coming down the line, if they can get themselves on a solid footing in the next 5 years.

All of this sounds good and exactly what a station should do.....will RTE do it? no

The reason they will give is because they have no money. They have no money not because of the license fee ut because they waste massive amount of money on staff.....

Cut 2FM, just by getting that wage bill off the payroll would help. Reduce all the wages of the "stars".....no more big budget "stars"....ofer them a wage, if they dont want it then let them see who else will take them on.....

At the moment RTE cannot do anything because they have got them are constantly in debt.....the population is not changing so they know what budget they have each year....cut to meet the budget.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Just throwing this out there for conversation - but would it (possibly) not benefit RTE to adopt something akin to the US cable public access model and softly supporting that, rather than shelling out on repeats, commercial radio, wages for previous presenters children and lavish trips abroad for the in-crowd?
    Some form of RTE public access would be cheap to produce or maintain (I presume); if done well it could tie in with the media trend towards YouTube-style programming, it could potentially provide RTE with talent for the future. It democratises the access to the largest loudspeaker in the Country. That may be a Pro or Con depending what side of the table you're sitting on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There are plenty of cheap quality programmes available I'm sure without resorting to endless repeats and crap American crime and sitcom series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Diceicle wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there for conversation - but would it (possibly) not benefit RTE to adopt something akin to the US cable public access model and softly supporting that, rather than shelling out on repeats, commercial radio, wages for previous presenters children and lavish trips abroad for the in-crowd?
    Some form of RTE public access would be cheap to produce or maintain (I presume); if done well it could tie in with the media trend towards YouTube-style programming, it could potentially provide RTE with talent for the future. It democratises the access to the largest loudspeaker in the Country. That may be a Pro or Con depending what side of the table you're sitting on though.

Youtube talent is not the son or daughter of someone already at RTE.....so that would take valuable time away from their wee princess...

I posted here before, the whole World was talking about the Hardy Bucks. Relatives in Aus and US where ringing me about it and trying to master the accent. Not a whisper on RTE. Why? well the lads where not related to anyone in RTE.....

Look at the hiring schedule and you will see such stars as Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrihy given jobs....some talent in those two:p:p:p:p go over the rest of RTE and you will find hundred the same....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Youtube talent is not the son or daughter of someone already at RTE.....so that would take valuable time away from their wee princess...

I posted here before, the whole World was talking about the Hardy Bucks. Relatives in Aus and US where ringing me about it and trying to master the accent. Not a whisper on RTE. Why? well the lads where not related to anyone in RTE.....

Look at the hiring schedule and you will see such stars as Lottie Ryan and Doireann Garrihy given jobs....some talent in those two:p:p:p:p go over the rest of RTE and you will find hundred the same....

Never saw an episode of Hardy Bucks because they were in so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭amlinopta

If Dee Forbes is looking to save money, she should be listening to Unfunny Friday on Thursday on Liveline. Joe back for the first time in weeks to indulge his junketeering mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

RTE needs a Gordon Gecko-type to go in and slash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

amlinopta wrote: »
    If Dee Forbes is looking to save money, she should be listening to Unfunny Friday on Thursday on Liveline. Joe back for the first time in weeks to indulge his junketeering mates.

I listened to a few minutes of it. Appalling stuff altogether. Wall to wall tripe from 1.45 to 4.30,as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It always amuses me the fawning that any RTE-produced series gets for not being absolute rubbish.

Love/Hate, Bachelors Walk and Paths to Freedom were incredibly ordinary but got hyped to high-heaven for not being absolute muck.

Irish audiences have been conditioned to accept a very low bar of quality.

not just irish audiences. probably most audiences tbh.
    quite the amount of tv these days is either junk or repeats. it's not just rte which is guilty of repeats, there are channels dedicated to the things. because ultimately they are cheap.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Sounds perfect.

TV license down to €40 a year, sign me up.

There's plenty of commercial stations serving up 'cookery show/travel show/house renovation show' slop, if that's what you're into.

Why are we being fleeced to the tune of €160 per annun to pay for more of it?

the tv license wouldn't be going down to 40 euro if there was a mass reduction in rte services.
    not going to happen. 160 euro is what it will either reamin at or increase, whatever happens.
    These programmes belong on a commercial station where they should sink or swim on the advertising revenue etc they bring in if they really are so popular. I don't want my €160 going towards funding the travels of that shower. One proper public service channel is quite enough for a country of our size

the problem is, it is not all about what you want, or what i want. it is about providing minority programming, but which will get an audience and bring in commercial revenue. rte is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time, so programs like this are a good way of fulfilling both remits. sure, they boar me to tears so i don't watch them, but obviously they bring in an audience and revenue.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The more money you pump into RTE the more it will be wasted.

Less is more. Give them less and force them to come up with some good programs the public want to watch.

Its just the same faces over and over on RTE. Even the non repeats feel like repeats.

And once a presenter reaches 66, they should be shown the door. What is Larry Gogan now, a hundred?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

amlinopta wrote: »

A load of complete tripe. Loads of fake laughing at unfunny and over used jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've no idea.

The point remains, they had above average viewing numbers so therefore probably paid for themselves.

Whether you like them or not is moot.

You do understand right?

And once a presenter reaches 66, they should be shown the door.

Again, that is just nonsensical, myopic and quite ageist to boot.

What difference does it make what age they are, if they are popular and can command an audience?

We would have lost out on years of the likes of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

As far as I know RTE did have forced retirements at 65, may have be changed to 70 recently.

The more money you pump into RTE the more it will be wasted.

Less is more. Give them less and force them to come up with some good programs the public want to watch.

Its just the same faces over and over on RTE. Even the non repeats feel like repeats.

what programs do the public want to watch? that's the problem, we all want different things.
    And once a presenter reaches 66, they should be shown the door. What is Larry Gogan now, a hundred?

on what basis should rte engage in such agist guff? there is no basis from what i can see.
    larry gogan is in his 80s.

Larry G retired last Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Larry G retired last Jan

He moved to RTE Gold

He moved to RTE Gold

Haha ffs, didnt know that, and they wonder why they are going under, there is no room for sentimentality when trying to balance the books of any organisation.

Again, that is just nonsensical, myopic and quite ageist to boot.

What difference does it make what age they are, if they are popular and can command an audience?

We would have lost out on years of the likes of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

As far as I know RTE did have forced retirements at 65, may have be changed to 70 recently.

Because the older presenters are on massive salaries and they aren't allowing a younger generation of presenters an opportunity.

Why should the rest of us be forced by law to retire at 66 while these people go on forever and are unsackable. Does Marty Whelan want a job at RTE until he's 100?

• Advertisement

Because the older presenters are on massive salaries and they aren't allowing a younger generation of presenters an opportunity.

Why should the rest of us be forced by law to retire at 66 while these people go on forever and are unsackable. Does Marty Whelan want a job at RTE until he's 100?

Well you just proved the point.

They let Marty go for a younger (more expensive) presenter and format, figures nosed dived, they quickly axed the new format and got Marty back.

I couldn't have come up with a better example, fair play to you. :)

what programs do the public want to watch? that's the problem, we all want different things.

They never f*cking ask us, that's the problem.

The BBC have a complaints show where you can tell them what you want. RTE used to have this but dropped it.
    They've no interest in what the public want.

They let Marty go for a younger (more expensive) presenter and format, figures nosed dived, they quickly axed the new format and got Marty back.

Marty does the best morning show on the radio. This was true when he was at 2Fm and it is true now that he is on Lyric FM.

When was this now? What show are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I've no idea.

The point remains, they had above average viewing numbers so therefore probably paid for themselves.

Whether you like them or not is moot.

You do understand right?
    "public service broadcasting" in its pure form is broadcasting intended for public benefit so how has any of the above mentioned programmes benefited the public?
    And while I'm at it could you tone down your patronising attitude a couple of notches with your "you do understand right?"

"public service broadcasting" in its pure form is broadcasting intended for public benefit so how has any of the above mentioned programmes benefited the public?
    And while I'm at it could you tone down your patronising attitude a couple of notches with your "you do understand right?"

They have a pubic service remit but not everything they broadcast has to be part of that remit. They are also expect to broadcast shows that attract an audience. the shows you mentioned do that. Without them they would be in an even bigger hole financially.

Stop being so snobbish and I won't have to be.

Public Service Broadcasting is the absolute minimum.

Their remit also includes a commercial element.

Marty does the best morning show on the radio. This was true when he was at 2Fm and it is true now that he is on Lyric FM.

The ratings tell us Morning Ireland attracts 350,000 or thereabouts.

It doesn't matter how great it is if he aint getting substantial ratings, his show is probably a loss maker.

You live or die by ratings, as that determines commercial income and RTE at this stage are heavily dependent on commercial income.

At this stage how commercially attractive RTE is to advertisers is more important than the licence fee. They don't get this, hence why they are failing.

Stop being so snobbish and I won't have to be.

Public Service Broadcasting is the absolute minimum.

Their remit also includes a commercial element.

They are falling between the 2 stools.

They don't have much public service content and most of what they offer is a poor mans commercial offering. Most of what they have is offered by a myriad of other broadcasters such as the BBC and done far better.

• Advertisement

The ratings tell us Morning Ireland attracts 350,000 or thereabouts.

It doesn't matter how great it is if he aint getting substantial ratings, his show is probably a loss maker.

You live or die by ratings, as that determines commercial income and RTE at this stage are heavily dependent on commercial income.

At this stage how commercially attractive RTE is to advertisers is more important than the licence fee. They don't get this, hence why they are failing.

Marty is on a niche station so is never going to the game figures as radio 1. And i said "best".

Advertisement