Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives Out [Rian Johnson]

Options
  • 02-07-2019 5:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Johnson's new film; appears to be an Agatha Christie style whodunnit, complete with the suitably impressive cast-list. Not sure about Craig southern accent, the one he pulled in Logan Lucky was better...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Looks like it could be really good, i did really enjoy murder on the orient express so that format can work well with the right cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks good. I like these kinds of movies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yep, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Rian Johnson is one of the best of those writer/directors who started off good, and goes from strength to strength. Hopefully it's not overwrought the way The Brother's Bloom suffered from being; with a cast like that, it could be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That cast is huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That is quite an impressive cast

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Didn't Happy Gilmore and Rachel off Friends release this film a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Rian is one of my favorite directors/writers. I kind of just look past the Last Jedi.

That said, Brick is one of my favorite neo-noir movies of all time, I had a lot of fun with Brother's Bloom, and Looper was a fun little sci-fi piece. I also think the episodes of Breaking Bad he directed are some of the best.

I really am interested to see his usual visual style in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Looks very interesting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Initial reviews from TIFF seem to be very positive, saying it's a charismatic homage to Christie mysteries of yore...

• Advertisement

Good to hear, i really loved the recent murder on the orient express. I am expecting this to be good.

Only thing disappointing about it is the release is end of November and would love a good film for date night.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The poster that goes with it looks great, real ensemble of cast . Don Johnson is looking well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/d5ya62/new_poster_for_knives_out/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still looks good, and exactly the kind of movie those lazy Sunday afternoons were made for. That's not meant as an insult either, it seems like the kinda "caper" movie sorely lacking in the cinemas these days...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone London-based or over during the film fest in a few weeks, Mark Kermode is hosting a chat with Johnson at the BFI: https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=screentalkrianjohnson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caught this today and Rian Johnson has outdone himself - and I either like or love all of the films he’s made to date.

While it’s filmed with all the necessary grace and wit - full of theatrical zooms and exaggerated angles - the script is a wee little masterwork. It’s full of dastardly machinations without giving into the cheap temptation of red herrings or loose ends. Everything fits together like a dream, and the immediate stakes and mystery shift and complicate in delightful ways.

What’s crucial is that Johnson plays it straight while still mining the situations for comedy. It’s an extremely funny film (Daniel Craig in a southern drawl reflecting on metaphorical donuts is magnificent), but the central murder mystery is also played with the sort of gravity that’s needed. It has fun right up until the end - one of the final twists of the knife had the audience I saw it with break out in well earned spontaneous applause. Conventions are followed and others are put through a shredder. But it is a pure whodunnit at its heart. And a magnificent one at that. It’s pure Johnson in that sense - the same way TLJ is a great Star Wars films while expanding and twisting the canvas, or how Brick marries the old school with modern sensibilities so elegantly.

Also, after the bland fence-sitting of Joker, I was particularly pleased to see how Johnson wades right into the contemporary discourse with such playfulness. This is the
    ‘**** the rich’ film
    of the year ;)

The cast are all having such fun, but Daniel Craig is having the most fun, and it’s great to see. Not a weak link in the mix though, and kudos to Johnson for having one of the least known actors in the mix - Ana de Armas - carry so much of the hard stuff.

It’s a blast, and the most fun I’ve had in the cinema since One Cut of the Dead (struggling to think of a recent American film that’s quite so outrageously enjoyable). The only advice I have is: see it with a crowd if you can, because this is crowdpleasing in the most generous sense of the word.

Caught this today and Rian Johnson has outdone himself - and I either like or love all of the films he’s made to date.

While it’s filmed with all the necessary grace and wit - full of theatrical zooms and exaggerated angles - the script is a wee little masterwork. It’s full of dastardly machinations without giving into the cheap temptation of red herrings or loose ends. Everything fits together like a dream, and the immediate stakes and mystery shift and complicate in delightful ways.

What’s crucial is that Johnson plays it straight while still mining the situations for comedy. It’s an extremely funny film (Daniel Craig in a southern drawl reflecting on metaphorical donuts is magnificent), but the central murder mystery is also played with the sort of gravity that’s needed. It has fun right up until the end - one of the final twists of the knife had the audience I saw it with break out in well earned spontaneous applause. Conventions are followed and others are put through a shredder. But it is a pure whodunnit at its heart. And a magnificent one at that. It’s pure Johnson in that sense - the same way TLJ is a great Star Wars films while expanding and twisting the canvas, or how Brick marries the old school with modern sensibilities so elegantly.

Also, after the bland fence-sitting of Joker, I was particularly pleased to see how Johnson wades right into the contemporary discourse with such playfulness. This is the
    ‘**** the rich’ film
    of the year ;)

The cast are all having such fun, but Daniel Craig is having the most fun, and it’s great to see. Not a weak link in the mix though, and kudos to Johnson for having one of the least known actors in the mix - Ana de Armas - carry so much of the hard stuff.

It’s a blast, and the most fun I’ve had in the cinema since One Cut of the Dead (struggling to think of a recent American film that’s quite so outrageously enjoyable). The only advice I have is: see it with a crowd if you can, because this is crowdpleasing in the most generous sense of the word.

How was Chris Evans? be interesting to see what his acting chops are like outside of super hero films.

How did you see it so early btw? I thought its not out until end of Nov. I am really looking forward to going to it with the wife.

Calhoun wrote: »
    How was Chris Evans? be interesting to see what his acting chops are like outside of super hero films.

He’s good! Relishes playing a bit of an asshole (most of the characters in this films are assholes :pac:). While pretty much everyone does a good job here, it’s Daniel Craig and Toni Colette who really stand out as they’re both having an absolute ball and not giving a single ****. Suits the movie perfectly.
    How did you see it so early btw? I thought its not out until end of Nov.

Festival screening!

He’s good! Relishes playing a bit of an asshole (most of the characters in this films are assholes :pac:). While pretty much everyone does a good job here, it’s Daniel Craig and Toni Colette who really stand out as they’re both having an absolute ball and not giving a single ****. Suits the movie perfectly.

Festival screening!

Thanks for responding, i am really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When is the release date for here?

Not until the 29th apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My local cinema has 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

Monday 25th November - Cineworld are doing an Unlimited screening (you need to be an Unlimited member to avail of a ticket)

Trailer looks excellent

It's first film in a long time I have really looked forward to that wasn't a big box office super hero film.

I'd like to say it is because I want to see how Chris Evans doing without being cap but it's actually because of the recent remake of orient Express that has me interested in that type of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

‘**** the rich’ film
    of the year ;)

Wonderful! Everything I could hope for. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I am a huge RJ fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just saw a trailer for this, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

I got to see a preview of this tonight and it was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm seeing it on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Shred wrote: »
    I got to see a preview of this tonight and it was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it.

Same. Really enjoyed it, and I echo Johnny's review. Very well crafted script and loved all the characters. Some great subtle humour all throughout as well. LOVED Michael Shannon in it. Would definitely go see again, in fact I might take the missus......

Advertisement