Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives Out [Rian Johnson]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm very conflicted about this news: while Knives Out was one of my films of 2019, the two concerns I have are both traditional and symptomatic of these modern times.

For one, sequels like this rarely work out; often failing to thread the needle between "more of the same" and "a segue into something new". Too much of either and both audiences and critics can quickly disappear. Plus, as much as I loved Craig's turn as Blanc, he was a bit of a terrible detective really (part of his charm I suppose). Something of a cajun Clouseau, albeit without the pratfalls. Not that that makes it impossible to spin a sequel around that, only that for me fed into the singular charm of the original film.

As the other point, the original was a treat in cinemas. Without checking the stats it was, to me, one of those quiet successes that ticked along nicely at the box office without causing too much of a stir. The nature of cinema multiplexes allowed it to have an organic lifespan, mixed with good word of mouth to keep people paying money. It wasn't an immediate, smash hit. That's simply not possible with Netflix's programming strategy: it'll just become another piece of chum in their waters, something loud for about 2 days before getting lost in the currents again.

I thought that this film was over-rated personally or maybe I just didn't overly take to the campy cluedo caper that it was.

Nevertheless would be interested in seeing what the plans are for developing another movie here - hopefully they do something interesting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe I missed it in the article but did that money just get then the rights to the films are is that also the money to make the film? So do they still have to fund the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭sporina

Just finished this movie - really enjoyed it.. just 1 Q - Blanc said "we arrested you so you (Ransom) couldn't make the anonymous call" - I don't rem an anonymous call being mentioned prior to that??

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I thought it was ok. I wouldn’t watch it again though. This is despite having watched a star is born 6 times haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its on tonight on RTE1 @21.30 is it worth a goo or is it pretentious nonsense?😶

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It may not be everyone's film of the year, but pretentious, it is not. It's a fantastic whodunnit with a really great cast of characters and central mystery. Very much a crowd pleaser.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mean, if you think a film featuring lines like "what did the masturbating nazi child hear while he was in the bathroom?" is pretentious then that's your call, but personally I just thought it was a really well-scripted and very funny murder mystery with a fantastic cast.

Yes definitely worth a watch, great ensemble and who done it storyline

• Advertisement

It's on TG4 tonight

Advertisement