Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which obnoxious Friends character are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Tom Selleck's excellent facial hair prowess mixed with Chandler's sarcasm.

Finally, I've figured myself out and can now move on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

I apologies for being one of those dullards because myself and my wife watch a few episodes from time to time and find the humor stacks up and it hasn’t dated really that much compared to other shows. It’s a bit of slap stick escapist comedy and think the actor chemistry is great, it’s well written from a character POV and anyway in my eyes Elliott Gould is a total legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think it has dated at all really and is still great fun to watch, though the later seasons got a bit too ridiculous and characters all became extreme charicatures of their earlier selves (like Joey went from being a dim but likeable guy to being actually retarded, Monica from being a little OCD to being an actual psychopath, etc). But it is genuinely still a funny show and it always gets me laughing, even in the 'bad' episodes. I usually run through every season in the background while I'm working once a year or so. Same with that 70's Show actually, another classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Phoebe was an absolute dose of a character. Annoying, needy, the sort who would describe herself as ‘kooky’, ‘left field’, ‘a beautiful freak’ etc.

Ross was by far the best. That neurotic NY Jew character is always a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Phoebe was an absolute dose of a character. Annoying, needy, the sort who would describe herself as ‘kooky’, ‘left field’, ‘a beautiful freak’ etc.

Were the Geller’s “practising” Jews?

There was a scene where Ross catches his “mickey” in his zipper, always haunted me. It’s bad enough for it to happen to a gentile but I can’t imagine getting the zipper teeth biting down on “Old Helmer”.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Were the Geller’s “practising” Jews?

There was a scene where Ross catches his “mickey” in his zipper, always haunted me. It’s bad enough for it to happen to a gentile but I can’t imagine getting the zipper teeth biting down on “Old Helmer”.

Over 80% of men in the US are circumcised, so the character being a practicing Jew isn’t particularly relevant to the outcome of the situation you describe. The rates of children having it done to them are dropping significantly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

He was in the London episodes as Emily's dad
    Guy Person wrote: »
    The airplane was Emily's dad.

Emily's dad was played by Tom Conti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

If I could give you my Flu and my Netflix login, I would.

You might change your mind.

So, having the flu, you decide to stick on Netflix.
    You watch a programme and don't like the characters in it.

And instead of watching something else, you then continue to watch said programme, taking notes on how horrible the characters are.

And then come on to a internet forum to complain about said characters from said show, using some of your notes, when all you had to do was click a button on the remote and you wouldn't have to watch the show.

Must have been a hell of a flu if it manages to remove all common sense and simple motor functions like pressing a button on a remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

randd1 wrote: »
    So, having the flu, you decide to stick on Netflix.
    You watch a programme and don't like the characters in it.

And instead of watching something else, you then continue to watch said programme, taking notes on how horrible the characters are.

And then come on to a internet forum to complain about said characters from said show, using some of your notes, when all you had to do was click a button on the remote and you wouldn't have to watch the show.

Must have been a hell of a flu if it manages to remove all common sense and simple motor functions like pressing a button on a remote.
    Lighten up there randd1. The thread is supposed to lighthearted.

I'm aware of that.

It is a bit funny though someone starting a thread over watching a programme you don't like when all you had to do was not watch the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Younger generations can get a bit narky.

Chill out there randd1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

randd1 wrote: »
    I'm aware of that.

It is a bit funny though someone starting a thread over watching a programme you don't like when all you had to do was not watch the programme.
    It's not funny. Go back to bed.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's not funny. Go back to bed.

It is funny.

And I'd love to.

Joey.

Considering Joey's tardo behaviour throughout the show, the finale was very optimistic indeed. Joey would now be in an institution forgotten by the rest and these places are not very nice at all. David Schwimmers character would be making jokes about Joey today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Ross charecter was just another recycled version of the " nice jewish boy" charecter as first portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the graduate

Been done countless times at this stage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The Ross charecter was just another recycled version of the " nice jewish boy" charecter as first portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the graduate

And? Friends wasn’t exactly known for its originality. Not sure what your point is tbh.

And? Friends wasn’t exactly known for its originality. Not sure what your point is tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

JohnnyFlash and Woke Hogan stop the personal remarks please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You've just reaffirmed my point

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Chandler.
    As any mid level salaried employee in an office job that grew up watching friends and an awkward sense of humor seems to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why was this TV show ever popular?
    Who was the most awful character?
    And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

Q1
    Oh someone doesn't like the most popular TV show ever, your in a small minority as its one of the 2 funniest shows ever made, every episode gives a laugh unlike most sitcoms. Its speaks to young people in a way that NO other tv show did, even today Friends is still relevant as friends captured funny dating moments better than any other TV show. The writing and comic timing was amazing, america will never make a funnier show. I think if you don't think friends is one of the best sitcoms ever or use to be one of the best then you don't have a sense of humor. Netflix paid €100 for an old show that's been on tv a million times.. that just goes to show how good the show was.

Q2 All 6 main characters were brilliant

Q3 No need for such a stupid loaded question, none of them were horrible. As a guy I could relate to Ross and Chandler a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Let's face it. They're all horrible people.

Self-involved, sexist, downright rude.

I don't want to identify with any of them.

Yet you post on After Hours.
    My questions are three-fold.

Okay.
    Why was this TV show ever popular?

Seasons 1 - 3.5 if you're looking for quality. And everything else was nostalgia and people "identifying" with the character's travails.
    Who was the most awful character?

Probably Gunther. Don't think he was written or acted very well. Didn't like when they brought him into it more and more. But more accurately, every character after Season 3.5.
    And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

Chandler. The funniest of the group but no luck with women. :(
    The airplane was Emily's dad.

This week, on House.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Greyfox wrote: »

Q2 All 6 main characters were brilliant

I love the show but the characters are all, at various stages, very weird, awful and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I have no friends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It was a vacuous bubble gum sitcom with 6 self absorbed fragile all somewhat pathetic and needy characters living in a nice safe bubble and remarkably without any ethnic minorities.

Viewers liked it because they felt sorry for the characters.

It made people (well young women) feel nice and fuzzy for 30mins. It was harmless.

It was a vacuous bubble gum sitcom with 6 self absorbed fragile all somewhat pathetic and needy characters living in a nice safe bubble and remarkably without any ethnic minorities.

Viewers liked it because they felt sorry for the characters.

It made people (well young women) feel nice and fuzzy for 30mins. It was harmless.

Ross was banging that hot black woman for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Feets

I guess I'm Rachels self involved sister...that Reese Whitherspoon played..

Tried to bang another black woman too (as did Joey, a good episode actually. "MONKEY LOVER!!"). He was with a Chinese chick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Rachel was white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That's true but she only appeared in a handful of episodes.

She was hot though and at least she was not just "the help" which is the usual role for ethnics in such white sitcoms.

While I have taken a swipe at the lack of minorities, in all honestly it does reflect reality. Ethnic groups do by and large gravitate toward each other.

Advertisement