Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm intrigued, what did they shout at you? I'm picturing "c'mon you useless ****, we aint got all weekend!" but probably wasnt that bad/good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 TriNRun

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, what did they shout at you? I'm picturing "c'mon you useless ****, we aint got all weekend!" but probably wasnt that bad/good

it wasn't me, it was the poor unfortunate first timers, I felt sorry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

TriNRun wrote: »
    it wasn't me, it was the poor unfortunate first timers, I felt sorry for them

LOL. Snowflake by proxy.

Enduro wrote: »
    LOL. Snowflake by proxy.

we are not all miniature heroes who can enduro abuse, some suffer untold consequence

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

My 1st time at Donadea 50 this year. After all I'd heard I was fairly disappointed at the low level of abuse I received. After an underwhelming race I sure could have used some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I loved Donadea 50K when I did it in 2018, I really enjoyed the race briefing and still quote it to this day. To paraphase the man, if you can't run 10 5Ks in 30mins each you shouldn't be there. I don't view that as elitism at a race only an organiser setting a reasonable target and expectation to those lining out for the event and so everyone can go home in a reasonable time. And everyone who ran it that day could run it quicker if they trained harder (and should of course do that), that includes the man and female winners who both set course records and I had the privilege of being lapped by a number of times. Superb event.
    Give me a laugh anyday over a plámás (had to look up how to spell this, I should have studied harder in school).

Ed...... wrote: »
    My 1st time at Donadea 50 this year. After all I'd heard I was fairly disappointed at the low level of abuse I received. After an underwhelming race I sure could have used some.

did you have earphones in? I don't know how you could miss it

diego_b wrote: »
    I loved Donadea 50K when I did it in 2018, I really enjoyed the race briefing and still quote it to this day. To paraphase the man, if you can't run 10 5Ks in 30mins each you shouldn't be there. I don't view that as elitism at a race only an organiser setting a reasonable target and expectation to those lining out for the event and so everyone can go home in a reasonable time. And everyone who ran it that day could run it quicker if they trained harder (and should of course do that), that includes the man and female winners who both set course records and I had the privilege of being lapped by a number of times. Superb event.
    Give me a laugh anyday over a plámás (had to look up how to spell this, I should have studied harder in school).

that was how the it began, it ended in a similar way for those shunted from the course early for shamefully overestimating their capabilities ! How dare they come to our event and perform like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

we are not all miniature heroes who can enduro abuse, some suffer untold consequence

Hah! Not bad.

It would be shame to keep the consequences untold. Go on... tell us what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

that was how the it began, it ended in a similar way for those shunted from the course early for shamefully overestimating their capabilities ! How dare they come to our event and perform like that!!

Would ya go troll somewhere else, cause nobody here will agree with you in regards the Donadea 50k. If you knew anything about running in Ireland you’d know the man who organises it is highly respected for the events he puts on & the numerous other things he’s involved in within the Irish running community the list of which is endless. Your the only one i’ve ever heard complain about the 50k that’s says more about you than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

When you check out the results page and see 23 people who finished after the 5 hour cut off including 1 a full hour outside of it I think it's fairly clear to see that the organisers stay around long after the cut off.

There's a handful of drop outs at lap 9 only 1 of those was over the 5 hour mark at the time. Everyone else could have gone around again and finished within 6 hours and got a proper time recorded.

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/irish-national-50km-championships-2019/

It's very clearly stated there is a 5 hour cut off and the organisers stayed around for another hour after that before shutting down. There simply wasn't a mass shunting off the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Hurry fookin up Mike, My fookin Dinner is at 6 sharp and Iv swim lessons after it.. Along those lines,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Do you get taken off the course during tri type events if you fail to meet cutoffs? Not had the experience of doing one of those but I wouldn't sign up for anything that I couldn't do...if it was a bad day or something went wrong then sh*t happens really...we're probably all only fun runners so not harm caused really!

I take your point and maybe if I was at the but end I might have felt differently but I deliberately didn't enter the event when I first heard of it for 2-3 years until I knew I was capable of running the time within the cutoff (being able to run a marathon under 4 hours was recommended in my research). If I'd had a bad day and got slagged maybe I'd have taken it to heart. To be honest the briefing I enjoyed as I said and it steeled me a bit and just said I'm going to give this a right go. I went out with the 4:30 pacers and came home just under 4:34 (the last two laps were a slog) but it's definitely one of my best running experiences in training and the event to date. Very different from DCM and things like that but I knew what I was getting into when signing up.

I probably trained harder for it than any of the marathons I've done to date (used to love my shortest midweek runs of 8 miles).

OOnegative wrote: »
    Would ya go troll somewhere else, cause nobody here will agree with you in regards the Donadea 50k. If you knew anything about running in Ireland you’d know the man who organises it is highly respected for the events he puts on & the numerous other things he’s involved in within the Irish running community the list of which is endless. Your the only one i’ve ever heard complain about the 50k that’s says more about you than anything else.

trolling accusations are a low blow

I think we've enough back slappy for being ****e events throughout the country. I for one fully endorse the idea of abusing people at the back of a race when they are taking too long to complete it. Can you volunteer for the role of slow shaming

I think we've enough back slappy for being ****e events throughout the country. I for one fully endorse the idea of abusing people at the back of a race when they are taking too long to complete it. Can you volunteer for the role of slow shaming

maybe you can also wait at the end of the race and redistribute the slow runners belongings like they say they do on the facebook page

do they actually say that? dont get my hopes up now, I may just be in love with this race

yes you may just be

i see you made their facebook page anyway congrats

tbf, they're clearly taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Here's [probably] a random one.

Has anyone here ran after getting a flu shot?.

Reason I ask is I got my annual flu this morning and went out intending to run a 10k but by 5k I was dead and couldn't run another step.

Now this morning was very hot, but I'm usually ok in the heat and its at the end of Summer so you'd think that shouldn't play a major factor in a poor run.

I ran about 45 minutes after my shot.

I just done an easy run after mine, felt fine but wasn't really put to the test. Was told I could feel off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Posted this in the Berlin thread. Set to run Berlin on Sunday week but I hurt my calf on my last 'long run' on Sunday. Was supposed to run 16m but only managed 8m and had to stop.

Been to the physio and I hope he can get me to the start line but if I do I won't have run much (if at all) in the last 2 weeks.

My training up to now has been decent i.e. 3 20m+ runs, a 12m with 10 @MP last week, a 1/2 marathon race etc.

Anyone care to speculate on the impact that no running in the last 2 weeks before the race will have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Here's [probably] a random one.

Has anyone here ran after getting a flu shot?.

Reason I ask is I got my annual flu this morning and went out intending to run a 10k but by 5k I was dead and couldn't run another step.

Now this morning was very hot, but I'm usually ok in the heat and its at the end of Summer so you'd think that shouldn't play a major factor in a poor run.

I ran about 45 minutes after my shot.

Side effects can start pretty quickly, so it's possible. I do try to take it easy for a couple of days after getting a flu shot and make sure not to get it close to any races, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Posted this in the Berlin thread. Set to run Berlin on Sunday week but I hurt my calf on my last 'long run' on Sunday. Was supposed to run 16m but only managed 8m and had to stop.

Been to the physio and I hope he can get me to the start line but if I do I won't have run much (if at all) in the last 2 weeks.

My training up to now has been decent i.e. 3 20m+ runs, a 12m with 10 @MP last week, a 1/2 marathon race etc.

Anyone care to speculate on the impact that no running in the last 2 weeks before the race will have?

It impacted me pretty badly in 2016. I hurt my calf 3 weeks out from DCM, and was only sporadically training until it got better. I didn't reset expectations, went out at target pace and ended up DNFing. It's hard to tell how much fitness you'll have lost, but I'd significantly lower expectations (maybe by 10 minutes?) and run conservatively on the day, easing into it.

i see you made their facebook page anyway congrats

tbf, they're clearly taking the piss

I have a friend who was doing the race with me, they took his stuff and gave it the others cos he was over the time, they put it on the table and said it was free, shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Singer wrote: »
    It impacted me pretty badly in 2016. I hurt my calf 3 weeks out from DCM, and was only sporadically training until it got better. I didn't reset expectations, went out at target pace and ended up DNFing. It's hard to tell how much fitness you'll have lost, but I'd significantly lower expectations (maybe by 10 minutes?) and run conservatively on the day, easing into it.

Cheers, out of interest did the calf injury flare up or did you just blow up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Hey, looking to do a parkrun next week. Will I be ok if I haven’t trained? Slightly worried about hurting myself. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Hey, looking to do a parkrun next week. Will I be ok if I haven’t trained? Slightly worried about hurting myself. Thx
    You'll be fine. It's not a race. Just run it at your own pace or run a bit and walk a bit, run/walk or jog. Don't overdo it - there's plenty of time to get better as it's on every week. Just don't feel compelled to keep up with the speedsters who go off at the front at the start.
    Also remember to bring your barcode so you will get a time and you can do it again next week to see if you beat that time and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

I have a friend who was doing the race with me, they took his stuff and gave it the others cos he was over the time, they put it on the table and said it was free, shocking

Pal ur bordering on defamation there, I'd be careful how u proceed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can we take the talk of Donadea 50k out of the random running questions thread now.

TriNRun, you clearly have a personal vendetta. That'll be the last of your vendetta on this forum. This is your only warning. Any more of this and you will be taking a long hiatus.

• Advertisement

<mod snip>

Advertisement