Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

To Clarify I will normally run barefoot on recovery runs only ~4-5 miles but I did have to build slowly up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

There is a new track being built on the campus though, isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Seeing that Tullamore half was on today. I was wondering which half would be best for targeting a PB, Tullamore or Charleville?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Charleville but this years race is sold out. It's a good fast course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Treviso wrote: »
    I wondered how the Killarney half marathon was so popular until I saw the profile

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/824523

I ran it this year and to be honest I think I would be a minute or two slower than a fast course liker Charleville assuming fitness was the same.

That being said my calves were absolutely shot after all the downhill running. Took me a full week to recover properly after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

ariana` wrote: »
    Do people wear normal runners for running on grass? Not XC or anything, just training runs. Thanks.

I love the idea of the bare feet, but when I run on grass it's usually mixed up with other sections on tarmac and trail. So I am in my usual runners mostly (if I have a route with very little tarmac, then maybe my trail runners).

For xc-races you would want to have spikes I think, but that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Miklos wrote: »
    There is a new track being built on the campus though, isn't there?
    Supposed to be. They got a donation from an anonymous donor to build a new track and enough money to maintain it for years. I havn't seen anything new about it recently. Rumour has it that it is to be built on the green area near the Clonskeagh gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Hey all. I am in the market for my first gps watch and I have no idea where to look. My budget is around €150-200 and any advice would be welcome. I don't need anything to fancy, just something to get me going.

I did my first ever event at the weekend (Derry Half Marathon) and thought I'd treat myself for finishing it :)

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 surmise

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Hey all. I am in the market for my first gps watch and I have no idea where to look. My budget is around €150-200 and any advice would be welcome. I don't need anything to fancy, just something to get me going.

I did my first ever event at the weekend (Derry Half Marathon) and thought I'd treat myself for finishing it :)

Thank you in advance.

Garmin 45s

The 's' variant is (subtly) marketed more towards women but IMO it's simply the better watch - it's slightly lighter and smaller overall but same price and same size screen.

Suckers buying the 45 are subsidising the 45s

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Thank you in advance.

Just for running or would you like to track swimming, cycling etc as well?

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote:
    Just for running or would you like to track swimming, cycling etc as well?

Just for running :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Just for running :)

Yeah the Forerunner 45 or the 235 is a good option if you can catch it in a sale. It's been down to ~€140 recently on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thank you in advance.

Perhaps have a look at the garmin forerunner 35 which you should be able to get at close to €100
    Another option would be the garmin forerunner 235 which would be a step up and a bit fancier. It's on amazon for approx €190
    They would be basic and mid-range gps garmin frunning watches respectively and would be last year's models and have been superceded with newer versions (the 45 and 245 respectively). This means that they are that bit cheaper than the current, newer versions.

For reviews google "<insert name of watch>" + dcrainmaker as he does good reviews on sports gear

Also if you want to wait a few weeks then there's always Black Friday sometime in November where you could nab a good bargain.

Thank you for the suggestions folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I have some gels that are well past their best before date. Would they still be safe for consumption or should I bin them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'm in the same boat as above regarding a watch. My trusty Amazfit pace went tits up last night after a run. I've had it over a year and it just died, was thinking it was storage issue but it had over 80% space available and the battery was over 90% when I started the run.

I factory reset and charged it up to 100 anyway.... will turn on for 2 minutes and shut itself off, done that 5/6 times now.

Any suggestions for a fix? Other wise I'll have a budget of about 150 ish on payday next week. I don't mind if its 2nd hand if it has a better spec than other at the price.

Need something as a daily step counter then 4 to 5 runs a week. I'll be using it for marathon too. Waterproof too and user friendly. Don't care about syncing with phone. Is Garmin the way to go?

Edit- the misses got a fitbit versa last week for 150. Only uses it as daily step counter though. Or would the garmin 35/45 be better option? The 45 is 189 on argos at the moment but I'd be looking around as they're usually one of the most expensive places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I have some gels that are well past their best before date. Would they still be safe for consumption or should I bin them?

You could send them to Mars and back and they’d still be fine. They might lose some consistency or the packaging get a bit frayed, but they won’t kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

I'm well into Dublin marathon training at the moment. Aiming for a 3 hour with likelihood that I won't achieve based on how i'm feeling. PB is 3.14. I'm up to about a half marathon distance at BMP with the rest of kms easy. 5 weeks block of training in at about 90km pw.

I now have a two weeks hike up the Himalayas with no training during this period.

Now my question is. Do you think I'll return super human due to the altitude or return a wreck due to lack of training coming up to the final weeks training. It's going to be interesting to see how much it affects.

My thinking is my muscles are going to be pretty fatigued but god knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

What's your average forced downtime a year due to illness or injury.

For the last three years it seems there's five or six weeks where I'm sidelined.

Wondering if it's the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭4Ad

Has anyone ran with a plaster cast on their hand ?
    Also how soon can I start running ?
    (It only happened yesterday evening while running )

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lazare wrote: »

For the last three years it seems there's five or six weeks where I'm sidelined.

Currently on a 754 day streak, have the odd niggle/injury thankfully nothing too serious, have been pretty healthy, just the odd cold/stomach bug nothing that has stopped me running. If I feel a little tired I'll run AM one day, PM the next, that's 30+ hours rest.

Having said all of that if I didn't run any time I felt a niggle i would never run #runnersproblems

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

A good year i would be out for about two weeks. A bad up to about 5/6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Currently on a 754 day streak, have the odd niggle/injury thankfully nothing too serious, have been pretty healthy, just the odd cold/stomach bug nothing that has stopped me running. If I feel a little tired I'll run AM one day, PM the next, that's 30+ hours rest.

Having said all of that if I didn't run any time I felt a niggle i would never run #runnersproblems

Bravo!!

Am insanely jealous.

Have a theory rattling around my head that consistent running keeps you injury free.

Had consistency since Jan up until a chest infection 3 weeks ago sidelined me for a week. Not so much as a niggle in that time.

Five easy runs later I'm injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Has it improved you a lot? I take it some nice really slow days every week

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I'm well into Dublin marathon training at the moment. Aiming for a 3 hour with likelihood that I won't achieve based on how i'm feeling. PB is 3.14. I'm up to about a half marathon distance at BMP with the rest of kms easy. 5 weeks block of training in at about 90km pw.

I now have a two weeks hike up the Himalayas with no training during this period.

Now my question is. Do you think I'll return super human due to the altitude or return a wreck due to lack of training coming up to the final weeks training. It's going to be interesting to see how much it affects.

I have no knowledge or experience of this so not much help really. What I do know is I’m looking forward to hearing how this works out - hope you come back & tell us.
    (My guess is positive).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I have no knowledge or experience of this so not much help really. What I do know is I’m looking forward to hearing how this works out - hope you come back & tell us.
    (My guess is positive).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Has it improved you a lot? I take it some nice really slow days every week

I'm more at the stage of trying to minimize the decline.
    Having said that I have ran O/40 master's PB's in 1500m, 5k and 5M as O/50 and my fastest 3k time in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Runners stomach? Am I alone? Any tips, still sick 30 hours later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Big Bad Wolf

Anyone know if there's a bricks & mortar shop anywhere in Dublin that sell good compression shorts for trail/road running?

Advertisement