Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

josip wrote: »
    I don't disagree about the general dearth of language skills in Ireland, but I don't think it's correct to say that:

My own (anecdotal) experience of software development in Ireland between MNCs and small indigenous, is that very few positions require foreign language skills and the majority of non-Irish people working in those companies has nothing to do with language skills.
    Foreign IT workers are a cheaper source of skilled labour for most of these positions than Irish people.

The vast, vast majority of tech MNC employees in Ireland aren't in software development. They're in either customer service or sales - both of which require foreign languages.

These jobs mostly pay a fairly standard rate thats set for each role, +/- 10% depending on the candidates specific qualifications (and negotiating skills). The nationality of the employee doesn't come into it - if they're living in Dublin, working in Dublin, they get paid the Dublin wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Blut2 wrote: »
    Ireland (aside from the UK, but they only half count now) has the lowest multiple language proficiency of any EU country by a large margin. The number of Irish people who can speak multiple languages fluently is absolutely tiny compared to what you'd find in Sweden, Holland, Germany etc.

Approx 70% of the staff of the larger MNCs like Google/Facebook etc are non-Irish. This isn't because they dislike Irish people - its because they literally can't find Irish people who speak multiple languages.

I've managed a team in one of these firms, and honestly would have had a preference for hiring Irish people just for having more craic on the team. But you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually find candidates with the required language skills. Language education in Irish schools is appalling.

It's ridiculous because the majority of MNC jobs don't require multiple languages. Not all jobs are EMEA sales/support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

It's ridiculous because the majority of MNC jobs don't require multiple languages. Not all jobs are EMEA sales/support.

The vast majority of large MNC jobs in Dublin are largely customer support or sales. Google, Facebook, PayPal etc. This isn't really a controversial statement - talk to anyone whos worked in any of these firms. Google only had approx 400 engineers out of their staff of 7,500 in 2018 in Dublin for example.

And as I said, 70% of Google's staff in Dublin are non-Irish for example. Why do you think they're going to the trouble of importing the majority of their staff from elsewhere in Europe, instead of hiring Irish people to do the jobs? As someone who has worked in the industry, I'm telling you - its down to language ability.

This isn't my anecdotal opinion either - the figures, and opinions of the tech firms, are relatively public. Theres plenty out there that you can Google to see for yourself, but here was one of the top links, direct from a senior executive in a MNC tech firm:
    THE online company said it is having trouble finding Irish workers with the necessary language skills.
    Instead, PayPal has been forced to 'import' employees from abroad -- 500, or half of those required -- at a far higher cost.
    Global operations vice-president Louise Phelan warned that we need to focus on language skills here to protect our status as a European gateway.
    She said Ireland suffered from a "deficiency" in workers with second languages. "We are a gateway to Europe but we need to ensure we are supporting the languages. Absolutely there is a deficiency in languages in Ireland. I am bringing in 50pc of our language cover I require from 19 other countries."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/paypal-forced-to-import-500-workers-and-warns-of-language-skills-crisis-26876581.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's easy to find on the internet what you go looking for :)

Here's one from Business & Finance that says that Irish grads are expected to fill 50% of future ICT positions.

https://businessandfinance.com/ict-sector-needs-women-returning-to-work/

So that only leaves 50% to be filled by foreign ICT workers, many of whom are employed for their lower cost, in spite of their language skills, not even because of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

^^^
    Is this still the Dun Laoghaire thread?
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's easy to find on the internet what you go looking for :)

Here's one from Business & Finance that says that Irish grads are expected to fill 50% of future ICT positions.

https://businessandfinance.com/ict-sector-needs-women-returning-to-work/

So that only leaves 50% to be filled by foreign ICT workers, many of whom are employed for their lower cost, in spite of their language skills, not even because of.

Foreign nationals are not employed in the engineering IT sector because they're lower cost (IT companies are competing against wages in other countries and against each other to attrqct workers), it's mostly down to not enough graduates coming from Irish 3rd level, to the extent that many companies are now sponsoring these courses.

Similarly, languages are required for many of the EMEA sales positions, and unfortunately very very few of those customers speak Irish, again meaning foreign nationals are used.

Vast majority are from EU countries.

Anyway, Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Blut2 wrote: »
    Ireland's unemployment rate is 4.5%. That can still go down another 1%

Nope , we have an effective rate of 0%. The only people not working are people who will never work and playing the system

I don't disagree about the general dearth of language skills in Ireland, but I don't think it's correct to say that:

My own (anecdotal) experience of software development in Ireland between MNCs and small indigenous, is that very few positions require foreign language skills and the majority of non-Irish people working in those companies has nothing to do with language skills.
    Foreign IT workers are a cheaper source of skilled labour for most of these positions than Irish people.

Don’t forget google and Facebook are actual advertising companies and not IY companies and most employees are selling ad space And not coding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Thread is a joke now! :mad:

Was anyone at Beatyard, you know in DUN LAOGHAIRE, over the weekend - how was it and how was food, facilities etc, saw some pics and the venue looked a tad grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

pm1977x wrote: »

Was anyone at Beatyard, you know in DUN LAOGHAIRE, over the weekend - how was it and how was food, facilities etc, saw some pics and the venue looked a tad grim.

Nah didn't know any acts bar groove armada, ran the bay 10k today again and it was another great success, place was buzzing afterwards

• Advertisement

On that note, I spent a few hours in spoons with mates after the run as has become the norm, on the way back up the town we thought about dropping into The Lighthouse, Closed, The Beerkeeper, Closed and finally The Bar, Closed, surely pubs would be open during the day on bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

On that note, I spent a few hours in spoons with mates after the run as has become the norm, on the way back up the town we thought about dropping into The Lighthouse, Closed, The Beerkeeper, Closed and finally The Bar, Closed, surely pubs would be open during the day on bank holidays.

The lighthouse has been been hosting the after parties for beatyard all weekend. I think they were due a day off! Never heard of the Beerkeeper? And the var is more of an evening place anyway. There were plenty of pubs open if you were thirsty.

pm1977x wrote: »

It was great! Venue wasn't grim at all - in fact has improved massively over the last couple of years. Loads to do. Great family vibe during the day too and they had some quality acts. Nice buzz for the Bay 10k today as well which always seems to get a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

It was great! Venue wasn't grim at all - in fact has improved massively over the last couple of years. Loads to do. Great family vibe during the day too and they had some quality acts. Nice buzz for the Bay 10k today as well which always seems to get a sunny day.

Sounds good, thanks for the info, pics just made it look grim I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The lighthouse has been been hosting the after parties for beatyard all weekend. I think they were due a day off! Never heard of the Beerkeeper? And the var is more of an evening place anyway. There were plenty of pubs open if you were thirsty.

The Beer Keeper is the new name of Gilbert and Wright's

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The Beer Keeper is the new name of Gilbert and Wright's

Ah didnt know that. Have they kept the inside the same?

I haven't been in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've only been in the front bit of the Beer Keeper, but as far as I can tell the interior has changed. I hated all the old furniture that Gilbert and Wright's had. It all seemed so faux to me, but I know others loved it. I do like the Beer Keeper.

Done a big revamp, the premises itself is now smaller with no upstairs, they still put on the live music and open nights but now have a great selection of rotating craft beers

I'm aware other pubs were open just feel it's a bit of a missed opportunity with so many people floating around on the day

• Advertisement

I just thinking today with the temporary looking at the temporary signage still up on DL Shopping Centre whatever happened to the proposals to renovate the shopping centre. It's been a few years now since it was first proposed and I've still yet to see any progress on it so I wonder what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I just thinking today with the temporary looking at the temporary signage still up on DL Shopping Centre whatever happened to the proposals to renovate the shopping centre. It's been a few years now since it was first proposed and I've still yet to see any progress on it so I wonder what the story is.

I think the plan is just to let it rot until it falls down.

Renovation plan was based on an anchor tenant moving in (TK maxx) and that fell through so the whole thing is on hold now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

155987 - DLR/2019/40 - Spatial & Economic Plan for Dún Laoghaire Town
    Publication date: 20-08-2019
    Response deadline: 17-09-2019 15:00 Irish time
    Procedure: 1. Open Procedure (NON OJEU)
    Description: Dún Laoghaire is a suburban coastal town in County Dublin, Ireland, about 12 km south of Dublin city centre and is the county town of Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown. The town has a mix of residential, retail and office space and enjoys valuable seafront access at Dún Laoghaire Harbour. In recent times, development in the town has been largely focused on increasing residential capacity with a consequential decrease in the amount of small-scale commercial office floor space available for employment uses locally and a reduction in the overall number of jobs located within the town. The Urban Regeneration and Development Fund, part of the Irish Government’s Project 2040, provided an opportunity for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council through a Category B application to carry out a study of the economic profile of the town, examine the changing nature of office-based development, make recommendations in relation to future potential economic opportunities and identify infrastructure deficits that exist in the town. (A full set of guidelines and criteria for the URDF Fund Category A and B can be accessed here https://www.housing.gov.ie/urdf). Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council now invites tenders for expert economic, spatial and strategic advice for the Town.
    Buyer: Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council

one for the boards.ie experts. There's a seperate similar one for the Harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

Looks like McWilliam's has something too in the IT (paywall).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I had a look at the tender as its in my field, but I'm very much in two minds about it.

Yes its needed, but we're only here because of DLRs failure to develop a local area plan in the last 15 years when it was badly needed. Dundrum changed the paradigm and its a bit pathetic that its taken this long to focus on the area that was disadvantaged most by it and to look for new opportunities.

The difficulty now is that this report will take minimum 6 months after it is awarded (which may or may not happen before the new year). It will then have to be converted into a LAP in any case to give it teeth and we are drifting dangerously close to the review period of the whole County Development Plan before 2022 which consumes the resources in the Council who work on this stuff.

In the meantime planning applications still have to be acted on under the current Development Plan without regard to what might be approved out of the report. So, you could see applications for any significant sites come rolling in before long, so the outcome of the report won't limit them - especially having seen the Bartra site approval from An BP, thats a massive precedent.

I've heard that on Friday there will be a Climate Demonstration in Dun Laoghaire by local schools.
    It's being suggested by the schools as an alternative to the one in town because it will be less busy for younger children.
    But it strikes me as an attempt by the schools to undermine the one in town. The DL one is scheduled for after schools close which renders the whole point of the 'strike' meaningless.

I've heard that on Friday there will be a Climate Demonstration in Dun Laoghaire by local schools.
    It's being suggested by the schools as an alternative to the one in town because it will be less busy for younger children.
    But it strikes me as an attempt by the schools to undermine the one in town. The DL one is scheduled for after schools close which renders the whole point of the 'strike' meaningless.

Not really. It’s about raising awareness and telling the government that they have had enough and they care.
    If anything it adds to the one in town as oppose to take away from it.

Also many of the kids are to small to be taking into large crowds. I know mine kids wouldn’t like to be in town.

Think globally , act locally.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Not really. It’s about raising awareness and telling the government that they have had enough and they care.
    If anything it adds to the one in town as oppose to take away from it.

Also many of the kids are to small to be taking into large crowds. I know mine kids wouldn’t like to be in town.

Think globally , act locally.

Not disagreeing about the large crowds and small kids but why have it at a later time than the main demonstration?
    It's not a strike if they don't miss any school.

Advertisement