Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Hiya...

We live in Glenageary and the Eden Park recycling centre is a boon, because it will accept EVERYTHING for FREE. Panda charges to lift the green bin and has a long list of household items that it will not accept, like cleaned aluminium foil food trays and plastic loaf of bread wrappers. Thus, we put out the black bin once a month with waste that cannot be recycled and all else I carry to Glasthule on my electric bike.

Ask your neighbours where they get Panda bags, and visit the recycle centre once a week.

Thanks for that - so non recyclable stuff in the Panda bag (including organic / food waste) and all recyclables down to Glasthule is it? No info on the Panda website about the bags, I'll ask around I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We live in Glenageary and the Eden Park recycling centre is a boon, because it will accept EVERYTHING for FREE.

I think what you meant to say is that anything which they will accept in Eden Park is accepted for free i.e. there is no charge option as there is in Ballyogan. Same applies to Shanganagh, you can only bring stuff if they take it for free.

OP, before you go to any of the three recycling centres (links below), check that the one you're going to will accept what it is you plan to bring. They're not always in sync. so you may find, for example that something which they will take for free in Ballyogan (e.g. your old microwave) will not be accepted in Eden Park or Shanganagh.

Ballyogan has a downloadable (PDF) booklet, the other two centre list what they will accept on their websites.....

Ballyogan
    Eden Park
    Shanganagh

coylemj wrote: »
    I think what you meant to say is that anything which they will accept in Eden Park is accepted for free i.e. there is no charge option as there is in Ballyogan. Same applies to Shanganagh, you can only bring stuff if they take it for free.

OP, before you go to any of the three recycling centres (links below), check that the one you're going to will accept what it is you plan to bring. They're not always in sync. so you may find, for example that something which they will take for free in Ballyogan (e.g. your old microwave) will not be accepted in Eden Park or Shanganagh.

Ballyogan has a downloadable (PDF) booklet, the other two centre list what they will accept on their websites.....

Ballyogan
    Eden Park
    Shanganagh

That's really helpful - thanks a mill. (Ah jaysus opening hours not great- closed on Sundays :(. Ah well, it is a free service I suppose. Saves me cost of Panda or greyhound etc)

That's really helpful - thanks a mill. (Ah jaysus opening hours not great- closed on Sundays :(. Ah well, it is a free service I suppose. Saves me cost of Panda or greyhound etc)

You still have to deal with organic waste which you cannot put into a compost bin - meat scraps for example because they will attact vermin. And there's non-recyclable plastic - soft plastic (anything you can scrunch up in your hand) cannot be recycled in Ireland. And coloured polystrene trays, typically used for sausages, mince and raw cuts of meat.

So consider all of your waste and how you will dispose of it responsibly before deciding that you don't have to deal with Panda or Greyhound. Anyone who says you can do it all yourself is probably the same person you saw last week shoving his household refuse into the bin at the entrance to Lidl or in the council bin on the main street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

There is a bin in Ballyogan recycling centre for soft plastic, I fill black sacks and bring them there.

I think they take polystrene too waste too.

coylemj wrote: »
    You still have to deal with organic waste which you cannot put into a compost bin - meat scraps for example because they will attact vermin. And there's non-recyclable plastic - soft plastic (anything you can scrunch up in your hand) cannot be recycled in Ireland. And coloured polystrene trays, typically used for sausages, mince and raw cuts of meat.

So consider all of your waste and how you will dispose of it responsibly before deciding that you don't have to deal with Panda or Greyhound. Anyone who says you can do it all yourself is probably the same person you saw last week shoving his household refuse into the bin at the entrance to Lidl or in the council bin on the main street.

Yes I'll use the Panda bags for general waste and take all recyclables to Glasthule.

tretorn wrote: »
    There is a bin in Ballyogan recycling centre for soft plastic, I fill black sacks and bring them there.

You'd be confused reading the Ballyogan booklet. In the 'Free of Charge' section they say 'Yes' to the following...
    • Clean Plastic Packaging - Plastic bags, Heavy duty wrapping, Yogurt cartons, Butter tubs, Cling film
    • Plastic Bottles - Soft drink, shampoo bottles, wash up liquid, solid milk containers, other tough containers not easily torn, fruit and veg. packaging

But 'No' to 'plastic wrapping'. How is cling film acceptable but not the plastic bag your sliced pan came in?
    tretorn wrote: »
    I think they take polystrene too waste too.

Eden Park and Shanganagh only take white polystrene. Ballyogan doesn't mention a colour though when I was there a couple of weeks ago, there was only large blocks of white polystrene in the bin, the type that's used to package electrical appliances. I was dumpng a few of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

How about some good news for Dun Laoghaire, well that is if you like Primal Scream:
    https://www.joe.ie/life-style/dun-laoghaire-concert-pier-june-663175

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

dball wrote: »
    How about some good news for Dun Laoghaire, well that is if you like Primal Scream:
    https://www.joe.ie/life-style/dun-laoghaire-concert-pier-june-663175

And The Charlatans, can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone have any updates on what is happening with Dun Laoighre Shopping Centre?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The plan for the cruise ship berth in Dun Laoghaire Harbour has been pulled by DLRCC.

https://dublingazette.com/news/cruise-ship-terminal-project-dun-laoghaire-47544/

All those foreign tourists who were expected to bring in business into the town in those cruise ships are now not coming at all.

It says in a report that €1 million has also been already spent on the project before it got shelved by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Given that Dublin port is significantly scaling back its cruise operation this might be seen to be shortsighted in the years ahead. I have no competence to assess the environmental or harbour impact. When Dublin port also competed strongly for this business, DLHC’s ideas seemed fanciful. If it was available now it might have generated significant passenger traffic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And if they spend all the money, only for Dublin Port to change tack again...

I think they would be very wary of any significant development which would only open old wounds with the locals and could be a costly failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Another nail in the coffin of a dying area.

....... wrote: »
    Another nail in the coffin of a dying area.

I think that's an unfair and outdated outlook. The Council ownership of the harbour is, by and large, a positive change. Look at the tens of thousands of people who have been to several events over the last couple of months, for a start.

Dun Laoghaire is a thriving town and is becoming a popular event location. People look at it with rose tinted glasses compared to the 1980s heyday, but we live in a different world and Dun Laoghaire seems to be working its way out the recession and is still a nice place to spend time in, with lots of wonderful amenities.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think that's an unfair and outdated outlook. The Council ownership of the harbour is, by and large, a positive change. Look at the tens of thousands of people who have been to several events over the last couple of months, for a start.

Dun Laoghaire is a thriving town and is becoming a popular event location. People look at it with rose tinted glasses compared to the 1980s heyday, but we live in a different world and Dun Laoghaire seems to be working its way out the recession and is still a nice place to spend time in, with lots of wonderful amenities.

What is unfair about it? I noticed another restaurant closed down today (kuraudo).

Feast moved out before xmas and asiatica moved in and already is gone with a sign up for another one.

The Giddy Goose has just closed down and a tea house opened in its place.

Every idea that comes up for the ferry terminal seems to get vetoed and the yacht clubs veto anything to do with the harbour while the businesses in town are crying out for shoppers.

The small cruise ships that arrive let people off onto buses to take them elsewhere.

The event last weekend wasnt as busy as hoped and neither was the red bull event a few weeks previous.

I dont know when you were last in Dun Laoghaire but I am there every day and I would not call it thriving, not by a long shot.

I'm here every day and run a business in the town. I really don't recognise the picture you paint. DL is through the worst of it and getting back on its feet.

The ferry terminal seems to attract spoofers and dreamers who talk big but have no substance. From reading the last article there is a proper process ongoing to find a sustainable business model for the building.

For every closure, there is something in its place before too long.

The pier was literally packed for the red bull event. So you'll forgive me if I stop taking you seriously as this stage.

00120ac2-614.jpg?ratio=1.77

• Advertisement

I'm here every day and run a business in the town. I really don't recognise the picture you paint. DL is through the worst of it and getting back on its feet.

I too work in the town daily and I think you must be walking around with your eyes closed. Do you deny the specific restaurant closures I have just listed for you? There are closed businesses up and down Georges St from York Road to the Peoples Park. The shopping centre is like the Walking Dead. I see no evidence that Dun Laoghaire is through the worst of it at all. As long as the council keep vetoing projects that would bring a bit of life back into the town it wont get through it.
    The ferry terminal seems to attract spoofers and dreamers who talk big but have no substance. From reading the last article there is a proper process ongoing to find a sustainable business model for the building.

Well we will see. But right now its sitting doing very little.
    For every closure, there is something in its place before too long.

That then closes itself. The point being that a lot of businesses dont seem to be sustainable in the area.
    The pier was literally packed for the red bull event. So you'll forgive me if I stop taking you seriously as this stage.

I couldnt care less if you take me seriously or not.

The image doesnt show the entire weekend. The feedback I have gotten is that it wasnt busy enough, over the entire event. Same for the music event just gone. People went to them, not as many as hoped. Its not exactly a controversial comment although it seems to have rattled your cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair, Feast didn't close in DL, it moved to Golden Lane in town. It has subsequently closed though.

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, Feast didn't close in DL, it moved to Golden Lane in town. It has subsequently closed though.

It moved from DL because it wasnt getting enough business there.

I heard it had subsequently gone from Golden Lane too.

And it was Michelin starred - if a Michelin starred restaurant isnt making it there isnt much hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

To say Dun Laoghaire is thriving is an exaggeration but to say it's a ghost town is also an exaggeration. It could be doing better alright but I think it has picked since the recession. There has been some amount of life brought back into the main street since the opening of a number of new shops Sostrene Grene seems to be doing well anytime as does Penneys. I do agree that the shopping is a disgrace and needs to be demolished.

On a summer's day the seafront and East Pier is usually packed as can be seen from the queues outside Teedy's and Scrumddidly's and the baths redevelopment should be a further positive for the seafront. The cruise ship idea was an outrageous idea and would be a complete eyesore aswell as having a negative impact on watersports in the harbour.

I can't how a cruise ship terminal would even benefit DL as the town has little to offer cruise ship visitors and they would likely be immediately bussed off on day trips to Glendalough and Wicklow Mountains which the town probably would struggle to cope with large amounts of coaches coming in and out of the town when massive cruise ships come in. One only has to look at Venice to see how letting in cruise ships is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It moved from DL because it wasnt getting enough business there.

I heard it had subsequently gone from Golden Lane too.

And it was Michelin starred - if a Michelin starred restaurant isnt making it there isnt much hope!

It was mentioned in the Michelin Guide - that isn't quite the same thing as a Michelin Star.

errlloyd wrote: »
    It was mentioned in the Michelin Guide - that isn't quite the same thing as a Michelin Star.

Oh I thought it had a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

But as long as Tesco still have offices above the shopping centre won't they continue to block any redevelopment so that Bloomfields continues to enjoy monopoly status?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

What is unfair about it? I noticed another restaurant closed down today (kuraudo).

Feast moved out before xmas and asiatica moved in and already is gone with a sign up for another one.

The Giddy Goose has just closed down and a tea house opened in its place.

Every idea that comes up for the ferry terminal seems to get vetoed and the yacht clubs veto anything to do with the harbour while the businesses in town are crying out for shoppers.

The small cruise ships that arrive let people off onto buses to take them elsewhere.

The event last weekend wasnt as busy as hoped and neither was the red bull event a few weeks previous.

I dont know when you were last in Dun Laoghaire but I am there every day and I would not call it thriving, not by a long shot.

Ah look places close and open all the time in the city centre but people dont say it's dying. There's a natural cycle of businesses opening and closing everywhere. There are many more businesses in DL now than there were even 5 years ago so I dont buy that argument at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Ku Raudo sushi was not good, plastered in mayo and the rice didn't taste great.

The Thai place that replaced feast closed because the food was literally rotten, there is a new restaurant opening there soon.

Soup ramen is absolutely amazing, and it's thriving a very busy restaurant.

I moved to the area 4 years ago, the change in the town even since then is massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I think it's safe to say that the area around the harbour is thriving; its the remoter areas of George's street that continue to fail. I think a cruise berth would have been a disaster: it would be an eyesore; passengers would most likely have been bussed into Dublin city (as happened when previous cruise ships docked); air pollution would have become an issue; and walks along the pier would have been ruined (aside, apart from an initial novelty factor maybe). Cites are increasingly recognising that these monstrous ships are having a net negative impact on them because of some of these factors.

Regarding the main thoroughfare of George's street, that's a different issue that's been much discussed on this thread in the past. My tuppence worth would be to allow many of the vacant retail premises to be converted to residential, recognising oversupply of retail and lack of supply of residential.

Advertisement