Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family saloon for under €12K

Options
  • 17-09-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps, just wondering if you can suggest a family saloon car for under €12K and over 2014 reg.

I would be looking to trade it in, in 2 years. Currently leaving a job that supplied a van but moving to a new job with a nice wage increase.

We are a family of 4, currently looking at Passats, Mazda 6 and Mondeos.

We will do low enough milage TBH, 10KM commute.

I'm really liking the Mazda 6, some very reasonable priced 2015 plates, are there some issues with them that keep the price down ?

Please let me know what you suggest, I am open to other cars that you might think would suit, I guess the main thing is which one will depreciate the least over the next 2 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would rule the Mazda out as resale is poor and reliability on diesel is patchy. It isn’t an obvious choice for a petrol car so it will be hard to sell in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Skoda Superb is well worth considering too. Plenty of space inside for a family car and good spec for your money. Not sure how well it would fare compared to a Passat for depreciation, they are both similar cars beneath the skin. I would have one over a Passat though

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-elegance-1-6-tdi-105hp-f-r-heated-se/21969111

MzJmMDBhYTc5MjkxYWE0OWJiODgyOTk5MzkxYjg4MzUgOsJka6la_fwaDNME0alWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc4MTk4MjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

What other driving other than the commute would the car be typically doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What other driving other than the commute would the car be typically doing?

We live about 5KM form the neareast big town so typically would be in and out 1 to 2 times a day, with gym, kids, shops etc.

Maybe 10 times a year we would go on trips around Ireland, could be anywhere but they are in the minority really.

Anything to be said for insignia ? Look like nice cars but seem very cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazzer007

There's a reason the Insignia is so cheap. A quick search on boards will reveal all the reasons why. Superb would be my choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Amazing that someone specd the superb so well and then went for a 1.6 diesel.
    Let down imo

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Some mileage on that car, smth like 47k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was shocked to see the thread full of Superb nominations.....Never mind the fact the OP does very little mileage and all the Superb are diesel....

For the mileage you are doing if you could up the budget to a Outlander PHEV you would be able to go on battery alone majority of the time and then just have the petrol for long distance. You get 600 quid grant for a charger so maybe another 400 quid on top. You do need a house and driveway of course.

Toyota will have hybrids, price range is probably a Prius. I am not up to speed on the Lexus but they have hybrid options.

Just off top of head, will have a look later.

You would be mental to buy diesel. Even wait a few weeks and see what budget will do with diesel. You should be petrol or hybrid or electric with your mileage.

Some mileage on that car, smth like 47k a year.

Company car, someone has driven the ass out of it for 4 years and handed it back to Leaseplan etc. The dealers then buy from Leaseplan

• Advertisement

It’s an import but great car

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/camry/used-2012-toyota-camry-2-5-hybrid-dublin-fpa-201808159496905

I know it doesn’t hit the reg requirement but I am not sure why you need a 2014 reg? Any reason?

We live about 5KM form the neareast big town so typically would be in and out 1 to 2 times a day, with gym, kids, shops etc.

Maybe 10 times a year we would go on trips around Ireland, could be anywhere but they are in the minority really.

Do yourself a favour and rule out diesel cars.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s an import but great car

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/camry/used-2012-toyota-camry-2-5-hybrid-dublin-fpa-201808159496905

I know it doesn’t hit the reg requirement but I am not sure why you need a 2014 reg? Any reason?

Insurance will be loaded, finding certain parts will be a bit of a struggle, instrument cluster and infotainment will all be in Japanese. They are lovely cars, and they seem like a great prospect - but I wouldn't go near one (at least not until they are €2k in the Bangernomics thread in a few years)

Is something like this too small?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ct200h-200h-advance-5dr-auto-136bhp/22950883

MzdlZGY0MTcwMGZiM2M5YmI3NzU3ZWEzNTQ0NzI3NGTyyrt0LJ034OaT-CSulLbYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI0Mjg4NjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Alternatively you could look at Auris hybrid and Prius, they are all related and similar in size.

Insurance will be loaded, finding certain parts will be a bit of a struggle, instrument cluster and infotainment will all be in Japanese. They are lovely cars, and they seem like a great prospect - but I wouldn't go near one (at least not until they are €2k in the Bangernomics thread in a few years)

Depends on insurance company.

I would expect the console can be changed to english, specific company seems to bring in a few so might be worth a call

Hell of a car for that price. Buy one new and its 40k now

I don't know of an insurance company that doesn't load Japanese imports, sure they are loading cars with high numbers of owners now! Loading on Jap imports has been a thing since the 90s, across the board as far as I'm aware.

And yeah, there are a few places that will change the console language to English, think the cost is €200 or thereabouts. Pretty much every (secondhand) Japanese car coming into Ireland has a non-OEM infotainment screen wedged into the dash, I don't know if its because the Japanese like a screen in the dash instead of buttons, or if they take out the OEM systems to sell them in Japan, but the replacements are always cheap rubbish anyway, and you would be better off buying something like this from Halfords, not cheap though.

To be honest I think the fact that they are bought almost only by taxi drivers is very telling. A lovely car, but they just don't make a whole lot of sense at their current price point.

Lexus CT is tiny.

Is something like this too small?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ct200h-200h-advance-5dr-auto-136bhp/22950883

Alternatively you could look at Auris hybrid and Prius, they are all related and similar in size.

The CT is a great car but a small car. The boot is tiny and the back seats not very roomy. The OP mentioned larger cars so Prius would be the only one in that size range

Auris hybrid is new and out of price range

The Outlander is hugely popular in UK. Quick scan over UK and you can pick up one for decent money and just about in budget. It will require a trip to UK. Irish dealers are buying at low prices in UK, loading on huge margin and bringing in.....

The advantage of the Outlander is it has a 11kWh battery so will run on battery without the engine. Any hybrid will need petrol. You will get circa 30km on battery before the engine kicks in so the OP could do multiple trips per day and never touch petrol.....

The CT is a great car but a small car. The boot is tiny and the back seats not very roomy. The OP mentioned larger cars so Prius would be the only one in that size range

Auris hybrid is new and out of price range

The Outlander is hugely popular in UK. Quick scan over UK and you can pick up one for decent money and just about in budget. It will require a trip to UK. Irish dealers are buying at low prices in UK, loading on huge margin and bringing in.....

The advantage of the Outlander is it has a 11kWh battery so will run on battery without the engine. Any hybrid will need petrol. You will get circa 30km on battery before the engine kicks in so the OP could do multiple trips per day and never touch petrol.....

I was actually looking the outlander, very good value too. I would be open to go over to the UK if it saved me money. What is the vrt like of those, I assume a little cheaper as they are a hybrid.

The missus was put off (she thinks they are to big) but they look like nice machines to me.

Where is the best place in England to buy BTW ? I'm thinking some where around Stanstead or Gatwick would have good choice ?

I was actually looking the outlander, very good value too. I would be open to go over to the UK if it saved me money. What is the vrt like of those, I assume a little cheaper as they are a hybrid.

The missus was put off (she thinks they are to big) but they look like nice machines to me.

Where is the best place in England to buy BTW ? I'm thinking some where around Stanstead or Gatwick would have good choice ?

I haven’t done the trip myself but loads of people have so you could post here or go to outlander thread in electric cars forum and ask

You need to pick a spec as well and stick to that, so GX3h or GX4h....the GX4hs is limited supply and will be outside budget but it is more or less the same as GX4h except it has adaptive cruise control and a few other bits....

Best to find one local and take a spin in it.....

VRT calculator online to get prices

• Advertisement

Check out CarGiant:

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/

You could get a flight to Gatwick, and hop on a National Express bus up to them, or better still fly into LCY and get across via tube. They'll have a load of cars (including Outlanders) that you can look at.

They're also a safe enough bet for Irish buyers (as in they are fairly reputable, well established etc)

I wouldn’t be going out of my way to get a PHEV or EV or hybrid unless they appeal for reasons other than fuel savings, with such low mileage, you won’t be spending much on fuel whatever you buy.
    Obviously if you can get what you want within budget that ticks the boxes then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anything to be said for a Passat or Suberb with a 1.4 or 1.8 Tsi engine?

Not many here but better choice in UK.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be going out of my way to get a PHEV or EV or hybrid unless they appeal for reasons other than fuel savings, with such low mileage, you won’t be spending much on fuel whatever you buy.
    Obviously if you can get what you want within budget that ticks the boxes then fair enough.

Some quick numbers, 10,000km per year. In a diesel with such short journeys you are going to be running circa 8ltr/100km. That is what I got in a Galaxy/Focus/Audi etc.....and I was doing lots of 15km trips.

Fuel over the year based on 1.40 per ltr diesel would be 1,100~

Now you will need some fuel and electricity but say you are saving 600 per year on fuel alone. As it is petrol it is cheap to service and tax. No idea if using tolls but up to 500 on those saving.....

So all in you could save circa 1k per year ball park by using a PHEV....

These are all ball park numbers but you get idea. Full electric of course would drive additional savings

It's getting pretty tedious that when people are looking for cars they are told an ev or phev is the answer to all their prayers.

Some quick numbers, 10,000km per year. In a diesel with such short journeys you are going to be running circa 8ltr/100km. That is what I got in a Galaxy/Focus/Audi etc.....and I was doing lots of 15km trips.

Fuel over the year based on 1.40 per ltr diesel would be 1,100~

Now you will need some fuel and electricity but say you are saving 600 per year on fuel alone. As it is petrol it is cheap to service and tax. No idea if using tolls but up to 500 on those saving.....

So all in you could save circa 1k per year ball park by using a PHEV....

These are all ball park numbers but you get idea. Full electric of course would drive additional savings

Your ballpark figures are a little skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bear1 wrote: »
    It's getting pretty tedious that when people are looking for cars they are told an ev or phev is the answer to all their prayers.

I dont think it is tbh, Its a good education for people.

In fact its no different than the well trodden path in here of advising people not to bug a diesel where its not suitable. (does that annoy you too) Where people are advised to stay away from diesels if they are just a short tripper and sitting in the garden alot. DPFs, High pressure Fuel Injection, Injectors, Filters, EGR valves and all the other headaches.

Why would anyone be against more knowledge...on a discussion forum
    Perplexing..

listermint wrote: »
    I dont think it is tbh, Its a good education for people.

In fact its no different than the well trodden path in here of advising people not to bug a diesel where its not suitable. (does that annoy you too) Where people are advised to stay away from diesels if they are just a short tripper and sitting in the garden alot. DPFs, High pressure Fuel Injection, Injectors, Filters, EGR valves and all the other headaches.

Why would anyone be against more knowledge...on a discussion forum
    Perplexing..

I seem to have touched a nerve here.
    You see quite often someone posts about buying a new car or just a car in general and needs it to be this that and the other and you're almost guaranteed someone will come on and say buy a leaf cause even though you can go max 200km and take an hour at a time to charge it up but it's great cause it doesn't cause pollution and it's perfect for your 5km trip per day.
    Anyway, just my own opinion.

OK I think I'll step in here, I am very much in favour of hybrid or even petrol.

My old work car is diesel and our second family car is petrol. I much prefer petrol cars, much quieter.

Hybrid appeals as it is cheaper to run and better for the environment also I believe diesel powered vehicles day is done and I believe this will be reflected in the second market more and more every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

bear1 wrote: »

Most people don't care about what powers their car, but they do care about money.

It's good that they are told that they can save money by switching

Advertisement