Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family saloon for under €12K

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

JayZeus wrote: »
    I've done all the explaining I'll be doing for you.

Edited for clarity: I don't mean that to be offensive, simply that I'm not interested in entertaining your questions any longer on this subject. I've provided my input, stood over it and it's based on real world experience with the car you recommended. I disagree with the recommendation strongly and I've already explained why. So now, I'll leave you to it.

Not sure what the aggressive posting is about?

From your post and description it sound like you bought a PHEV for the wrong type of driving. The main benefit of the PHEV is trying to drive as much as possible in battery mode and also it’s a car which is more suited to city driving than constantly on the motorway

The OP has a requirement to drive lots of short 5km trips which will all be on the battery. In the odd situation he needs to go further the petrol will kick in so no need to use those pesky charge points....

If you buy a PHEV to hammer it along the motorway day in day out then your buying the wrong vehicle, get yourself a diesel for that job

I don’t see how you have stood over anything to be honest, you quoted some vague numbers about 3800 km across Europe and high ltr/100km but in same post says it will do 25km on battery.

I think it’s a fairly easy question in regards to the outlander mostly running on battery mode or was it mostly running off petrol?

Thanks for all the input and discussion peeps, it's great to see the debate on different fuel types. I'm not wedded to any fuel type but would prefer not to go diesel.

Again just looking for someting that I can sell/trade in 2 years time that will hold its value. BTW I will have a fuel card from work

If you have fuel card does that mean you get vat off diesel?

Thanks for all the input and discussion peeps, it's great to see the debate on different fuel types. I'm not wedded to any fuel type but would prefer not to go diesel.

Again just looking for someting that I can sell/trade in 2 years time that will hold its value. BTW I will have a fuel card from work

Anything petrol/hybrid/PHEV/electric seems to be the way to go, the closer to full BEV the better

The tax is only going one way on diesel from the reports. It’s seems the common train of thought is being diesel in line with petrol so that’s an extra 10 c per ltr, but all guess work

If you look at the world market that’s the way it’s going. Ireland is still buying diesel, mostly dumped here from the UK as the value has dropped over those. Will that last? I don’t know

Best bet at the moment is move away from diesel....could I be wrong, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anything petrol/hybrid/PHEV/electric seems to be the way to go, the closer to full BEV the better

The tax is only going one way on diesel from the reports. It’s seems the common train of thought is being diesel in line with petrol so that’s an extra 10 c per ltr, but all guess work

If you look at the world market that’s the way it’s going. Ireland is still buying diesel, mostly dumped here from the UK as the value has dropped over those. Will that last? I don’t know

Best bet at the moment is move away from diesel....could I be wrong, of course

Not likely, diesels day is done. It's the easiest way for all Governments in the world to reduce emissions and everyone is expecting it. A free hit for the Government TBH

Not likely, diesels day is done. It's the easiest way for all Governments in the world to reduce emissions and everyone is expecting it. A free hit for the Government TBH

The government answer to everything is tax

Diesel is now bad and is currently earning 10c less a ltr, so expect them to bring that up. No chance they would reduce petrol to the diesel tax level.

I was in VW recently, even the VW dealer said for my driving I need a hybrid but best he could sell was a straight petrol Tiguan Allspace.....I have bought a lot of VW/Audi over my life and I nearly dropped when they didn't push me into a diesel.....just shows you the way the market is going when VW are saying to go petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VW dealers want to sell cars, they’ll sell whatever they’re given.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    VW dealers want to sell cars, they’ll sell whatever they’re given.

Check the stock of diesel in VW Liffey valley

It was outdated in 2008!

They are reliable at least, a few family members had them. They are way off the pace of other 2016 cars, but if you put simplicity over refinement, style and technology then they’re not a bad shout considering tax is only €280, no turbo to worry about etc.
    it would kill me to pay that much for such a mediocre car. You might as well get a brown Corolla!

This brown Corrola could become a meme for the motor forum, if its not already lol

• Advertisement

This brown Corrola could become a meme for the motor forum, if its not already lol

Someone will love it

Yes the colour is bad....the fact the seller has a ass cushion and doesn’t want to take pictures of the inside says it all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just on the outlander, while we do like ours, a word of warning, while the fuel and tax savings are there, the service costs are up there with the fossil cars (obvious given the fuel in it I suppose). Our last EV service was 90 euro, the PHEV was over 500.

Tax on EV is 120. PHEV is 160.
    That lancer is 280 tax? Servicing probably 400?

Tax plus servicing
    EV 210
    PHEV 660
    Lancer 680

Not much saving in it really... if the decision is PHEV Vs petrol.

For 25km a day, I don't know why you would go with anything other than an EV (or even bicycle!). Looks like a no brainer to me.

pwurple wrote: »
    Just on the outlander, while we do like ours, a word of warning, while the fuel and tax savings are there, the service costs are up there with the fossil cars (obvious given the fuel in it I suppose). Our last EV service was 90 euro, the PHEV was over 500.

Tax plus servicing
    EV 210
    PHEV 660
    Lancer 680

For 25km a day, I don't know why you would go with anything other than an EV (or even bicycle!). Looks like a no brainer to me.

Why was the PHEV 500 for service?

Was this standard service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, standard service, didn't take any of their optional extras like battery conditioning etc. PHEVs are a combo, so you end up servicing both the combustion system with all it's oil, coolants, and other dirty systems like that , as well as the electric system, and the additional integration system which links the two together. That is the main downside of any PHEV, the servicing complexity.

Don't get me wrong, we like the car, the size is very handy when you've got 4 bikes, a dog, beach gear, and a family to jam into it, and you can't afford the Tesla equiv. The type of driving we do (90% of our trips are ~30km) means we only need to put petrol in once or twice a year... But our pure EV is still way ahead for cost effectiveness due to the few hundred a year saved on servicing. There isn't that much saving over petrol at low mileage between an efficient petrol and a PHEV, compared to the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Tax plus servicing
    EV 210
    PHEV 660
    Lancer 680

A standard service for my Diesel Hybrid is €180. What makes the PHEV cost €500? I would have my doubts about it being the basics only. It's a big car where parts wear more quickly so cost will be more, regardless of the fuel.

I also don't think EV is necessarily the right choice if you only do 25k per day. Would cost about €900 in petrol, vs say €250 in electricity?

€650 saving sure, but the benefits of a petrol are worth more than that to most people I would say. The sweet spot would be ~100k per day I think. Great savings vs ICE, not too long of a time spend in a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’m assuming the point of a non Ev is for the odd few longer trips a year that have been mentioned. Assuming there is no appropriate second car in the house that could do that job ...

I sure as hell wouldn’t be going diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Agreed, recipe for disaster with that kind of use.

Yes, standard service, didn't take any of their optional extras like battery conditioning etc. PHEVs are a combo, so you end up servicing both the combustion system with all it's oil, coolants, and other dirty systems like that , as well as the electric system, and the additional integration system which links the two together. That is the main downside of any PHEV, the servicing complexity.

Don't get me wrong, we like the car, the size is very handy when you've got 4 bikes, a dog, beach gear, and a family to jam into it, and you can't afford the Tesla equiv. The type of driving we do (90% of our trips are ~30km) means we only need to put petrol in once or twice a year... But our pure EV is still way ahead for cost effectiveness due to the few hundred a year saved on servicing. There isn't that much saving over petrol at low mileage between an efficient petrol and a PHEV, compared to the EV.

I would look into that, something doesn’t sound right....did you price around?

What exactly did they do with the electric motor?

Any thing to be said for a petrol Mazda 3 ? Yep looks smaller than what I said but we are a family of 4. How big/small inside are they.

They look like a nice car with some decent up to date tech in them (unlike the Lancer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I'm going to swing the thread back in favour of vw passat. IMHO in the vintage of your price range, it's a nicer looking car. I've the 1.6 diesel and I'm doing 8k each way morning and evening. I'm getting 5.1l/100km. It's got an enormous diesel tank, so I'm only filling up about once a month.

Servicing done by my local, trusty independent garage. Cheap as chips to service. And they're so common, independent lads are used to working on them.

The next I'd favour is petrol over phev. I just don't trust batteries to age.

rn wrote: »
    I'm going to swing the thread back in favour of vw passat. IMHO in the vintage of your price range, it's a nicer looking car. I've the 1.6 diesel and I'm doing 8k each way morning and evening. I'm getting 5.1l/100km. It's got an enormous diesel tank, so I'm only filling up about once a month.

Servicing done by my local, trusty independent garage. Cheap as chips to service. And they're so common, independent lads are used to working on them.

I’d trust batteries a lot more than a 1.6 TDI

Mmm I start looking at Lexus Lexus IS 300H in England, 15 plates for around €12-13k plus about €1,700 vrt. Yep its blowing my budget but I think I would get a good price for it in about 2 years time. Lovely looking car and hybrid.

Is it worth it ?

Mmm I start looking at Lexus Lexus IS 300H in England, 15 plates for around €12-13k plus about €1,700 vrt. Yep its blowing my budget but I think I would get a good price for it in about 2 years time. Lovely looking car and hybrid.

Is it worth it ?

Yes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes.

Concise and to the point, I like your style

Concise and to the point, I like your style

My friend got one last year, it’s been faultless so far. It’s able to get good fuel economy, even on long motorway trips.
    Servicing isn’t cheap (most people stick with main dealer as you get warranty extension on the hybrid components) but it’s still relatively painless to own one.
    They’re not overly big inside, they’re not small, but they can feel a bit snug up front if you’re any way tall. They’re a bit low slung. I like them. There are a few specs I’d avoid in them, and there are a few spec must-haves.
    I’d say drive one locally and see what you think first. Used prices are stronger on them than they were a few years ago, but they’re still good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Came across the below thread yesterday evening op, might be of interest to you ...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057976964/1/#post110062038

rn wrote: »

The1.6 was underpowered for the Passat....I wouldn’t even buy it in the Golf

Is it worth it ?

Lexus are beautiful and the hybrid engine is well tested and easy to repair as a toyota

Lexus will hold it value as good as the next.....the hybrid over a straight petrol is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And yeah, there are a few places that will change the console language to English, think the cost is €200 or thereabouts.

Interesting, any links?

Advertisement