Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family saloon for under €12K

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bear1 wrote: »
    It's getting pretty tedious that when people are looking for cars they are told an ev or phev is the answer to all their prayers.

I seem to have touched a nerve here.
    You see quite often someone posts about buying a new car or just a car in general and needs it to be this that and the other and you're almost guaranteed someone will come on and say buy a leaf cause even though you can go max 200km and take an hour at a time to charge it up but it's great cause it doesn't cause pollution and it's perfect for your 5km trip per day.
    Anyway, just my own opinion.

I don't think you touched a nerve with anyone.....

What would you recommend to the OP who is doing a regular 5km trip?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Your ballpark figures are a little skewed.

Potentially and thats why I said ballpark. Best for the OP to post on the Outlander thread in Electruc and PHEV to get proper idea.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You can't beat a brown Toyota to suck the life out of you :P

Notice the lack of a picture of the actual interior or the padding on the seat :-) wouldn't be a great sign :-)

Why would you go for a straight petrol when you could get a PHEV within budget and at least a decent spec?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You can't beat a brown Toyota to suck the life out of you :P

Notice the lack of a picture of the actual interior or the padding on the seat :-) wouldn't be a great sign :-)

Why would you go for a straight petrol when you could get a PHEV within budget and at least a decent spec?

You asked what I'd recommend and I provided an example.
    Fire up an example of what you'd suggest, I don't mind admitting if it's nice.

• Advertisement

OK I think I'll step in here, I am very much in favour of hybrid or even petrol.

My old work car is diesel and our second family car is petrol. I much prefer petrol cars, much quieter.

Hybrid appeals as it is cheaper to run and better for the environment also I believe diesel powered vehicles day is done and I believe this will be reflected in the second market more and more every year

This is true.....

Best of luck....I love looking at car myself :p buy a few as well

Yeah that's passed the budget...

Yeah that's passed the budget...

And ridiculously thirsty when the battery is empty, not to mention the ‘brown corolla’ is a much nicer car to look at and drive.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I wonder would the OP need a comfort cushion on the full leather interior :D

Also the fact the ltr/100km could be down at 1-2ltr might be a small bonus

But it's still passed his budget.
    It's also not registered in Ireland which means there are more costs involved.
    Can't you post up a car which you believe is the right choice which is registered in Ireland and meets his criteria?

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    And ridiculously thirsty when the battery is empty, not to mention the ‘brown corolla’ is a much nicer car to look at and drive.

Speaking from experience?

Speaking from experience?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Potentially and thats why I said ballpark. Best for the OP to post on the Outlander thread in Electruc and PHEV to get proper idea.....
    Oh Christ, the EV echo chamber, bound to get unbiased views there :p

Oh Christ, the EV echo chamber, bound to get unbiased views there :p

Better than the Skoda diesel echo chamber. Especially as the OP already mentioned he is interested in PHEV

Seems a good review here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Py7Y8hzHTs

Plenty of other video's available if you google.....

Yes.

More info if you dont mind? from the videos online etc the common seems to be 7ltr/100km on long distance. Posted video above.

Hardly running on air but I would not classify as "ridiculouly thirsty"

What have you seen?

Better than the Skoda diesel echo chamber. Especially as the OP already mentioned he is interested in PHEV

Seems a good review here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Py7Y8hzHTs

Plenty of other video's available if you google.....

You know I recommended the OP actually avoid diesel earlier in the thread?
    I agree that diesel is often recommended to people it shouldn’t though.

You know I recommended the OP actually avoid diesel earlier in the thread?
    I agree that diesel is often recommended to people it shouldn’t though.

I know you did but not sure why the need for the snide comment about the Electric car forum.....

If the OP want to talk abotu PHEV then thats the best place

More info if you dont mind? from the videos online etc the common seems to be 7ltr/100km on long distance. Posted video above.

Hardly running on air but I would not classify as "ridiculouly thirsty"

What have you seen?

Real world about 9.5L/100km on a 3800km European trip. Heavy car and not particularly nice to drive. 2015 2L petrol auto version. Good on paper, crap in the real world.

Look a little more and ignore the people too busy trying to convince the world that they make a smart purchasing decision and you’ll find a lot of similar reports. I’d give it 5/10 in all regards.

This is a ‘kind’ assessment:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014/

60ish MPG real world combined. We saw a lot less than that.

I know you did but not sure why the need for the snide comment about the Electric car forum.....

If the OP want to talk abotu PHEV then thats the best place

It’s where all the owners are, for sure. Same as if someone has a Superb vs Mondeo question, would you direct them to Briskoda.com or talkford.net or whatever? Not if they needed an unbiased opinion.

I don’t agree with segregating electric cars from the main forums, it just encourages groupthink, and anyone with a differing opinion is pounced upon.
    I think electric cars warrant discussion, and that it’s handy to have the threads all in one place, but we didn’t create a diesel subforum 10 years ago. The EV forum was created for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

I'd agree with that.
    There also seems to be animosity between those that own ev/phevs and those that don't.
    I'm party to that sometimes but it does get tiring seeing people suggest cars, both electric/hybrid or diesel/petrol wljust because it suits the person posting it more.

• Advertisement

Real world about 9.5L/100km on a 3800km European trip. Heavy car and not particularly nice to drive. 2015 2L petrol auto version. Good on paper, crap in the real world.

Look a little more and ignore the people too busy trying to convince the world that they make a smart purchasing decision and you’ll find a lot of similar reports. I’d give it 5/10 in all regards.

Not really a car I would be buying if I was doing 3800km across Europe....diesel is your man

How was it on short journeys on battery alone? which is what OP will use it for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

2014 (142) Skoda Superb 1.4 TSI S 125PS 5DR
    €9,900 Price: €9,900
    Odometer: 106,576 miles /
    171,513 km
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9ff279ea1dddffedb7fb993ec1e19f279.jpg
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2343087&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D683%26e%3D12000%26f%3D1%26t%3D1%26g%3D0

It’s where all the owners are, for sure. Same as if someone has a Superb vs Mondeo question, would you direct them to Briskoda.com or talkford.net or whatever? Not if they needed an unbiased opinion.

I don’t agree with segregating electric cars from the main forums, it just encourages groupthink, and anyone with a differing opinion is pounced upon.
    I think electric cars warrant discussion, and that it’s handy to have the threads all in one place, but we didn’t create a diesel subforum 10 years ago. The EV forum was created for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

I agree....electric/PHEV etc is just a fuel....same as diesel/petrol. I have no idea why a seperate forum was created. I think it should all be in the one....better open discussion then

I'd agree with that.
    There also seems to be animosity between those that own ev/phevs and those that don't.
    I'm party to that sometimes but it does get tiring seeing people suggest cars, both electric/hybrid or diesel/petrol wljust because it suits the person posting it more.

Which is what you done??

The OP posted they drive short distances and that they liked the idea of PHEV....

Which is what you done??

The OP posted they drive short distances and that they liked the idea of PHEV....

I just admitted it?

Not really a car I would be buying if I was doing 3800km across Europe....diesel is your man

How was it on short journeys on battery alone? which is what OP will use it for

The point which you are absolutely ignoring, is that it is not in any way a fuel efficient hybrid, measured against others. It wasn't bought for the purpose of the trip. The point is that over a two week trip covering the whole gamut of different roads, terrain and traffic, it returned a consumption rate of 9.5L/100km. Which is obvious to everyone else, but I'm happy to explain it to you if you didn't understand it first time. It was also noisy. Whiney transmission and not capable of higher speeds in any degree of comfort.

How was it on short journeys? :rolleyes: It's 'meh' on short journeys. 25km on a charge.

I love the way you recommend a car you have no experience with and then argue with someone who has some. Stop trying to score points arguing from a point of zero experience while giving somebody a bum steer on where to spend their money.

€12k spent on an Outlander with the intention of selling it in 2 years isn't a good move. Ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. Go with a low tax, lower mileage petrol family car with a decent spec and leave the Outlanders for people trying to buy champagne with too little in their pocket. They'll be ending up with apple cider vinegar and telling you it tastes just like Bollinger.

The point which you are absolutely ignoring, is that it is not in any way a fuel efficient hybrid, measured against others. It wasn't bought for the purpose of the trip. The point is that over a two week trip covering the whole gamut of different roads, terrain and traffic, it returned a consumption rate of 9.5L/100km. Which is obvious to everyone else, but I'm happy to explain it to you if you didn't understand it first time. It was also noisy. Whiney transmission and not capable of higher speeds in any degree of comfort.

How was it on short journeys? :rolleyes: It's 'meh' on short journeys. 25km on a charge.

I love the way you recommend a car you have no experience with and then argue with someone who has some. Stop trying to score points arguing from a point of zero experience while giving somebody a bum steer on where to spend their money.

€12k spent on an Outlander with the intention of selling it in 2 years isn't a good move. Ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. Go with a low tax, lower mileage petrol family car with a decent spec and leave the Outlanders for people trying to buy champagne with too little in their pocket. They'll be ending up with apple cider vinegar and telling you it tastes just like Bollinger.

Interesting to know what you tested it against? You mentioned you measured it against others?

Also no mention of what you used it for? Was it alway off battery? Or you keep it in range of battery and the odd time using petrol?

I’m not sure what’s obvious to everyone else but not to me so can you explain?

Interesting to know what you tested it against? You mentioned you measured it against others?

Also no mention of what you used it for? Was it alway off battery? Or you keep it in range of battery and the odd time using petrol?

I’m not sure what’s obvious to everyone else but not to me so can you explain?

I've done all the explaining I'll be doing for you.

Edited for clarity: I don't mean that to be offensive, simply that I'm not interested in entertaining your questions any longer on this subject. I've provided my input, stood over it and it's based on real world experience with the car you recommended. I disagree with the recommendation strongly and I've already explained why. So now, I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I seem to have touched a nerve here.
    You see quite often someone posts about buying a new car or just a car in general and needs it to be this that and the other and you're almost guaranteed someone will come on and say buy a leaf cause even though you can go max 200km and take an hour at a time to charge it up but it's great cause it doesn't cause pollution and it's perfect for your 5km trip per day.
    Anyway, just my own opinion.

Touched a nerve ?

I've two diesels out in the garden for long commutes. No nerve touched here.

Your brown corolla was a depressing place in life. Jesus is that it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Thanks for all the input and discussion peeps, it's great to see the debate on different fuel types. I'm not wedded to any fuel type but would prefer not to go diesel.

Again just looking for someting that I can sell/trade in 2 years time that will hold its value. BTW I will have a fuel card from work

Advertisement