Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

satguy wrote: »
    If I was made King of the world tomorrow, I would sack everyone at RTE, they would get 2½ weeks pay for every year of service.

Those on so called "contracts" would get nothing.

And they could all seek employment based on their skills on the open market. I would say most would starve !!

No point sacking everyone

Just all the useless ones

Lottie Ryan I would just ring ahead and tell her to get out before I even arrive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

My 2015 car has LW on the radio.

Actually, maybe mine does. If I accidentally switch to am, it takes a couple of button presses to get back to FM.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

More fcuking repeats on a Monday night prime time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The most shocking thing in my head now is how close I am to being a member of 'The Grey Brigade'.

More fcuking repeats on a Monday night prime time slot.

Father Ted at 9pm. Prime time slot and its a twenty year old comedy we have all seen a million times.

Im really glad I don't pay the license.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Father Ted at 9pm. Prime time slot and its a twenty year old comedy we have all seen a million times.

I wasn’t bothered with Father Ted, it was the episode of Find Me a Home that’s been shown at least 3 times already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why do you still consume the service so?

You have no right to complain about content if you are just freeloading when it suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Do RTE still buy top class shows and stick them on post midnight during the week just to screw over other Irish stations like they used to do with Mad Men?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Was listening to Tubridy this morning. He's at the ploughing championships and was in a panic that he hadn't brought a toothbrush with him.

Is he staying at a hotel overnight down there or something? Its only an hour from Dublin.

Morning Ireland also at the ploughing championships. They had a duplication of editors, producers, etc and thanked them all at the end.

These sorts of junkets OBs must cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

If The Grey Brigade are all at the ploughing, who is watching / listening to RTE ?

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    If The Grey Brigade are all at the ploughing, who is watching / listening to RTE ?

The guy who posted above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do RTE still buy top class shows and stick them on post midnight during the week just to screw over other Irish stations like they used to do with Mad Men?

They normally put the good stuff on late and Father Ted at nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Fiancé subjected to very aggressive banging on the door this morning as she was home alone in the house on a conference call, 2 beady eyes gawking in the letter box and a notice saying 'equipment observed' scrawled on it shoved through the letter box. She's a little shook after it. We're only in the property a few weeks, but after behaviour like that I've a mind to ignore. They can f*ck off acting like that towards us.

Boggles wrote: »
    The guy who posted above you.

I just turned it on for the news. Got the last minute of morning Ireland, the news and first two minutes of Tubridy, then switched it off. So as a correction, I listened to two minutes of Tubridy.

But in a week when RTE are once again claiming they are in financial crisis, it was remarkable how many presenters, producers, editors they send to something like the ploughing. Each RTE program seems to be down there, with a team for each one and another team back in Montrose. There must be significant overtime as well as logistical and travelling costs.

And for what gain? It feels like its just occasion junkies in RTE who have to be at every event.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was listening to Tubridy this morning. He's at the ploughing championships and was in a panic that he hadn't brought a toothbrush with him.

Is he staying at a hotel overnight down there or something? Its only an hour from Dublin.

Morning Ireland also at the ploughing championships. They had a duplication of editors, producers, etc and thanked them all at the end.

These sorts of junkets OBs must cost a fortune.

Even worse, he stayed in kilkenny, so he drove through Carlos to get to the hotel and back up to the Ploughing venue, wonder can he claim mileage,hotel,food and beverage ???;). As you say hed be at the venue in an hour and a bit from his front door.

Even worse, he stayed in kilkenny, so he drove through Carlos to get to the hotel and back up to the Ploughing venue, wonder can he claim mileage,hotel,food and beverage ???;). As you say hed be at the venue in an hour and a bit from his front door.

Yes, its odd. And the question is who is paying for it? Himself or RTE?

RTE are a joke. They live like royalty but claim the poor mouth. They are living far beyond their means.

And for what gain? It feels like its just occasion junkies in RTE who have to be at every event.

It is one of the biggest events in this country every year, if not the biggest.

About 300,000 people will attend.

It's hugely popular, if the national broadcaster don't cover that, what would you like them to cover? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's hugely popular, if the national broadcaster don't cover that, what would you like them to cover? :confused:

It is the biggest outdoor event in Europe apparently.

Send a single news team and/or reporter who can report for every program. Simple.

That's not what they are doing. They are sending a presenter and team from every program. Morning Ireland. News. Tubridy. 6-1 news.

And who knows how many other programs. Duplication after duplication. No wonder they are bankrupt.

There was less than half that at the Galway races but the news, weather, children shows, Morning Ireland etc don't decamp down there for the week. What's the magic number where it becomes an advantage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I may be wrong but I don't think they ever covered it much until Newstalk started broadcasting from there.

Send a single news team and/or reporter who can report for every program. Simple.

That's not what they are doing. They are sending a presenter and team from every program. Morning Ireland. News. Tubridy. 6-1 news.

And who knows how many other programs. Duplication after duplication. No wonder they are bankrupt.

Sure how do you know the commercial value of it?

Have you seen a spreadsheet?

You haven't a clue what sort of revenue an event that has attracted some of the big hitters in corporate would generate. As an event it generates 10s of millions for the local economy.

Also the idea that all these people are on a luxurious junket is laughable, the engineers, producers, tech are all working, they don't just rock up at 5 to the hour and plug in a microphone.

Also it's on in Carlow not Monte Carlo(w) FFS.

There was less than half that at the Galway races but the news, weather, children shows, Morning Ireland etc don't decamp down there for the week. What's the magic number where it becomes an advantage?

Well, I imagine double that.

Maths, crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It's their annual dust off the Wellington boots event, it gets them out of Dublin 4 and mingling with the Culchies. RTE on past recollection usually cover events well, its the everyday quality of their work that more often lets them down.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Well, I imagine double that.

Maths, crazy!

Maths eh? So what's the benefit of the whole crew decamping down? Come on, let's talk figures if you want. Will more people watch the weather because it's broadcast from there? Will this whole thing make money for RTE? Come on, figures! Since you're the one endorsing this all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It's hugely popular, if the national broadcaster don't cover that, what would you like them to cover? :confused:[/QUOTE
    Hey don't forget Duffy and his crew doing funny Friday on a Thursday from the ploughing.. Sure that shower wouldn't know a bulls arse from his head

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Joe Duffy and the "Funny" Friday team will be there on Thursday. I can see revenue rocketing through the roof that day.

Sure how do you know the commercial value of it?

Have you seen a spreadsheet?

You haven't a clue what sort of revenue an event that has attracted some of the big hitters in corporate would generate. As an event it generates 10s of millions for the local economy.

Also the idea that all these people are on a luxurious junket is laughable, the engineers, producers, tech are all working, they don't just rock up at 5 to the hour and plug in a microphone.

Also it's on in Carlow not Monte Carlo(w) FFS.

It is in Carlow. So why does one of the presenters need to stay in a hotel overnight? Its just over an hour from his home.

They are working. They are getting paid like those in the studio, duplicating what those in the studio are doing.

What commercial value is there?

Who tunes into the radio to hear the ploughing championships? Anyone interested is probably already there.

And why can't they send one reporter and not numerous presenters and a team to support each one? Its just coming across as hugely expensive duplication and unnecessary spending.

This is an example of how badly run RTE are.

https://extra.ie/2019/07/01/news/irish-news/rte-layoffs-outside-contractors-fees

They lay off hundreds of workers but must hire contractors at even more cost for extraordinary events. I have no doubt some of those contractors were laid off RTE staff.

So lay them off, give them a huge pay off and hire them back as contractors. Brilliant stuff altogether.

There are extraordinary events every year. There is at least one referendum or election every year. There is usually a visit by a significant foreign dignitary such as the Pope, Queen or US president. There is usually an Olympics, Soccer World Cup, Rugby World Cup or other major sporting event every year.

Its just a really badly run organisation with next to no accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

sligojoek wrote: »
    Joe Duffy and the "Funny" Friday team will be there on Thursday. I can see revenue rocketing through the roof that day.

Joe: "So the sheep was fiddling with the cow?"
    Punter: "t'was Joe"
    Joe: "janey mack".

Advertisement