Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Ive heard it all now , Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It's always the same on boards, Dublin v the rest of Ireland, culchies v jackeens... same **** different day.
    The GAA have a serious problem on their hands. I'm not sure splitting a 1.3 million population into two teams is the answer but it would be no unfairer then the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin can train at 7am on a weekday
    What other county can do that?

Twas always so. From the inception of time.

But its only an issue now.

Keep sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

jay1988 wrote: »
    If they deserved it or were good enough they would have won one, they didn't because they weren't, bitterness in this thread is unbelievable.[/QUOTE

Your comments are half right but there is a consideration.
    gaa is amatuer we are told but everything about Dublin is professional.
    The rest of the country apart from a few counties are left behind so not good for game long term in my opinion.

To go back to the point you challenged, i used to go to 4 to 6 championship matches every year including the final as i was kinda connected and always seemed to be able to land a ticket.
    I have not being at a gaa match for 10 years.
    My complaint at the time was and is administration pandering to a few larger counties, this was actually before Dublin got to the level they are at now. Another thing i do not agree with is full time professional managers like Harte Tyrone and Cody Kilkenny.

I am one of the few people who expected Kerry to win yesterday but there was a 10 min period in the middle of the second half where they completely overwhelmed Kerry and from the time that O'Brien did not get the half goal chance it was over.

Dublin are a great team and good luck to them but a team that can win every game at will not going to draw support except for the big games, the numbers for the qualifiers and semis were smaller this year.
    The gaa like all other organization are event managing the games like its the only thing on in town. The problem in my opinion is the smaller counties are being left behind. Oddly enough i noticed this trend about 15 years ago and am surprised it took this long to become an issue.

The three examples that come into my head at this moment.
    Kerry/Cork play in Munster final and a few weeks later in Croke final.
    Tyrone Donegal (i think) play Ulster final in Croke.
    Clare/Limerick, Cork/Waterford (hurling) play double bill in Croke.
    My view is these games should be brought to the people and not have an amatuer sport bring families all over the place to matches.
    It happened this year Mayo/Galway in Limerick.
    Rant over, i probably get ticked off for straying off topic.
    Dublin are the best and have proved it in the last few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And who's fault its that?
    The GAA?

The only solution to that is make it professional and pay the players.
    Do you agree with this?

Keep grasping at straws.
    I suppose they also get an advantage because the sun rises 10 minutes earlier in Dublin than in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If they deserved it or were good enough they would have won one, they didn't because they weren't, bitterness in this thread is unbelievable.[/QUOTE

The three examples that come into my head at this moment.
    Kerry/Cork play in Munster final and a few weeks later in Croke final.
    Tyrone Donegal (i think) play Ulster final in Croke.
    Clare/Limerick, Cork/Waterford (hurling) play double bill in Croke.
    My view is these games should be brought to the people and not have an amatuer sport bring families all over the place to matches.
    It happened this year Mayo/Galway in Limerick.
    Rant over, i probably get ticked off for straying off topic.
    Dublin are the best and have proved it in the last few weeks..

Mayo and Galway in Limerick had nothing to do with administration apart from fixing a neutral venue as per the rules when the temas couldnt agree to toss for a venu,afaik it was Horan who ruled this option out

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The team I don’t like are winning so I’m abandoning the sport.

Incredible that people’s bitterness is so strong that they’d sooner abandon the sport than see their county try and compete.

This isn’t normal and doesn’t happen in other sports. This is reaching unprecedented levels in the bad loser scale

Why invest time , money and energy in a rigged competition. Ye dont even turn up until the final anymore and ye have no travel and give it a few years of this crap and finals wont sell out at 90 euro a head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kyote00

new rule needed to ban training at 7am.

TrueGael wrote: »
    Why invest time , money and energy in a rigged competition. Ye dont even turn up until the final anymore and ye have no travel and give it a few years of this crap and finals wont sell out at 90 euro a head

The two (three with the replay) Dublin Mayo finals were absolutely fantastic, neck in neck stuff.
    The Dublin Kerry match a fortnight ago was the same.

Dublin just pipped it at the end. Nothing seemed rigged at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The two (three with the replay) Dublin Mayo finals were absolutely fantastic, neck in neck stuff.

Apart from the funding.

• Advertisement

And where are Mayo now, and if you think getting beat by 6 points is "pipped" then god help the notion of competiton as a whole

The collapse in attendances and viewrs will only continue, if Pat Gilroy says a split is inevitable then we are wasting time with this current charade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

And where are Mayo now, and if you think getting beat by 6 points is "pipped" then god help the notion of competiton as a whole

The collapse in attendances and viewrs will only continue, if Pat Gilroy says a split is inevitable then we are wasting time with this current charade

Dry your eyes lad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kyote00 wrote: »
    new rule needed to ban training at 7am.

Any senior inter county player in Dublin must now travel through at least two counties before arriving at training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Mayo and Galway in Limerick had nothing to do with administration apart from fixing a neutral venue as per the rules when the temas couldnt agree to toss for a venu,afaik it was Horan who ruled this option out

Nuetral venue there Roscommon, who is in charge?

dunnerc wrote: »
    Dry your eyes lad :p

I think I'll take Pats opinion with more credence than online nobodies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

I've heard it all now.

I acknowledged how unbelievably good Dublin footballers are.

But if you give a team that has three times the population of their nearest rivals to pick from and in many cases (Mayo/Kerry) ten times the population a huge financial disparity in terms of resources and that team plays every game at home domination is inevitable. There are studies done on how important and influential funding is and home advantage is, these things naturally apply in Gaelic football.

If Dublin go back to winning two or three all Irelands a decade I will happily say I’m wrong about that. But if Dublin continue winning seven or more a decade, then I will be correct and five in a row won’t be remembered as a great achievement but rather the new norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nuetral venue there Roscommon, who is in charge?

This was done to death at the time, Roscommon was ruled out on capacity and H and S grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pretty sure I remember donegal training in the mornings years ago for a bit.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I acknowledged how unbelievably good Dublin footballers are.

But if you give a team that has three times the population of their nearest rivals to pick from and in many cases (Mayo/Kerry) ten times the population a huge financial disparity in terms of resources and that team plays every game at home domination is inevitable. There are studies done on how important and influential funding is and home advantage is, these things naturally apply in Gaelic football.

If Dublin go back to winning two or three all Irelands a decade I will happily say I’m wrong about that. But if Dublin continue winning seven or more a decade, then I will be correct and five in a row won’t be remembered as a great achievement but rather the new norm.

Again, I call total bull on this.

The Irish rugby team is number 1 in world rankings.
    We don't have the population, the cash or the resources of nearly all the other rugby teams, but we're number one.
    Rugby isn't even that popular here, there's maybe a handful of schools that focus on rugby.
    How is this possible if population and cash decide who wins?

We don't have the population, the cash or the resources of nearly all the other rugby teams, but we're number one.
    Rugby isn't even that popular here, there's maybe a handful of schools that focus on rugby.

Those rankings have been ridiculed by all around the world, we are more than likely not going to get past the last 8 yet again in a sport taken seriously by 8 countries

• Advertisement

Because not every international team is working under the same conditions. The IRFU have an excellent player welfare system in place, Johnny Sexton/Rob Kearney, etc plays a handful of Pro14 games every year.

England should really dominate World Rugby but their clubs run players into the ground.

Also the resources are outstanding in rugby in terms of the standard of coaching being given in Leinster private schools in particular but generally across the country. I doubt there’s data available but I would expect if it could be somehow quantified what was being spent on rugby including that sort of private school coaching Ireland would be one of the highest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Theres a lot of lemons sold out in supermarkets around the country i see ;-)

Those rankings have been ridiculed by all around the world, we are more than likely not going to get past the last 8 yet again in a sport taken seriously by 8 countries

So what? Senior football is only really taken seriously by six counties.

The other 7 (I would have said 9) rugby countries have far greater populations and resources, yet Ireland compete with the best of them.
    Why are we not a Tonga or a Japan, if population and cash have such a huge bearing?

The other 7 rugby countries have far greater populations and resources, yet Ireland compete with the best of them.
    Why are we not a Tonga or a Japan, if population and cash have such a huge bearing?

No they don’t, Wales and Scotland are smaller and not as well off financially as the Irish. New Zealand is also smaller but a bit like Kilkenny in hurling player participation is off the scale. Australia is losing quality players every year as they are in bad financial shape.

France are in disarray due to their league being overran with imports and young French players not getting a chance. English clubs run their players into the ground eg Irish players coming back from lions tour got a month off and then gradually built back up to playing, English players played pre season fixtures ten days after arriving back.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No they don’t, Wales and Scotland are smaller and not as well off financially as the Irish. New Zealand is also smaller but a bit like Kilkenny in hurling player participation is off the scale. Australia is losing quality players every year as they are in bad financial shape.

France are in disarray due to their league being overran with imports and young French players not getting a chance. English clubs run their players into the ground eg Irish players coming back from lions tour got a month off and then gradually built back up to playing, English players played pre season fixtures ten days after arriving back.

Sure sure, there's always some excuse when it doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Sour grapes, sour grapes everywhere...

The other 7 (I would have said 9) rugby countries have far greater populations and resources, yet Ireland compete with the best of them.

Duplicate.

Because there is no interest or money in Japan and Tonga is a tiny island who get poached by NZ. Football is the predominant code in about 24 counties with Hurling in the other 7/8 give or take 2/3 dual ones who are 50/50 between both

Sure sure, there's always some excuse when it doesn't suit you.

For the world cup every team gets the same preparation and sure enough the cream rises to the top.

In such a physical and abrasive game not getting that rest and recovery during 6N skews the reality - the WC is the true barometer and we are a QF team (which by random luck should have reached at least a semi by now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Stop supporting the GAA until it's fair game, simple as that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement