Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest Paddy Jackson playing at the weekend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I nether expressed support or condemned it.
    I simply think using terms like "vermin" and "an animal" is completely over the top.

And I respect your view but I disagree, I say exactly what I think and how I feel.

But you do have an interest in the protest, otherwise you wouldn't be here, I'm just curious to know your stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have yet to be accoused of rape. If I ever am I can't be found innocent of it in a court of law though. You don't understand the law. There was no proof that proved they didn't do it. The verdict isn't saying they were found innocent. It can't say that because the verdict isn't based on 100 percent certainty. it's based on reasonably doubt.

Over 200 have voted so fart that he was found innocent. I wonder how many of the 200 will say the same thing about Micheal Jackson who was also acquitted (not found innocent). The very same people arguing here that the verdict means innocent will argue the opposite for Michael Jackson.

There is an awful lot of history going on here. I believe the lads should be left alone. I wouldn't have started this thread either because it does them more harm then good. Starting threads like this is as bad as the protestors. Dragging up to past doesn't help the lads.

I agree with a lot of what you say Sleeper but there has been cases where people have been proven innocent by someone else being found guilty.

There are people who have been exonerated by DNA evidence that later comes out. I don't think anyone can say these people weren't innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ah come on, you're pulling me chain surely, a feminist/politician/comedian?

https://www.socialdemocrats.ie/our-people/linda-hayden/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hey listen, I know exactly what they are and why they took the stance they did with the lads. This is quite an interesting video on the topic:

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Summarise it if it’s worth including in the discussion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

And I respect your view but I disagree, I say exactly what I think and how I feel.

But you do have an interest in the protest, otherwise you wouldn't be here, I'm just curious to know your stance.

I have an interest in rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I heard a half dozen turned up. What a pathetic protest.

Summarise it if it’s worth including in the discussion.

Ok........

NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP,
    NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOWN,
    NEVER GONNA TURN AROUND AND DESERT YOU

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have an interest in rugby.

So do I, but I'd argue this thread is more about the protest than it is about the Rugby.

Look if you don't want to touch on the subject with me that's ok, we'll leave it there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Achebe wrote: »
    This is rape culture.

You know rape culture isn’t a thing in Ireland yeah? Maybe you’d have a point in some African countries or some backwards run Islamic countries. You couldn’t be more wrong about here though. Unless you wanna pull up some stats that might back up your point you should be put down as just another troll.

• Advertisement

You know rape culture isn’t a thing in Ireland yeah? Maybe you’d have a point in some African countries or some backwards run Islamic countries. You couldn’t be more wrong about here though. Unless you wanna pull up some stats that might back up your point you should be put down as just another troll.

Ah just a worthless troll, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

It was an accepted part of the culture. The ones taking part saw it as banter. The girl’s’ friends didn’t see it as a problem worth reporting. I just didn’t get involved.

Is El Duderino lecturing about consent? I thought sexual assaults weren't worth getting involved in...

Anyway folks, good night, god bless and don't forget to check under your bed tonight for Paddy Jackson, you can never be too careful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I wonder where Hayeden and all the protesters were at Turners Cross, Oriel, RSC etc for Ishmeal Akenade when he was playing and who was convicted....

dickangel wrote: »
    Is El Duderino lecturing about consent? I thought sexual assaults weren't worth getting involved in...

Fair play for finding such a relevant post for the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I heard it was only a third of that...

490568.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67,498 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brilliant. Hopefully those misguided few will like everyone else .allow this man his own right to earn a living and live his life, mistakes and all, and take their 'activism' elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m still waiting on those “rape culture” stats. I’m out tonight with a 3 of the lads, how many of us will rape someone on the way home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I wonder where Hayeden and all the protesters were at Turners Cross, Oriel, RSC etc for Ishmeal Akenade when he was playing and who was convicted....
    He's black he gets a free pass from the Irish feminists and far left. Soc Dems are a bunch of pink haired freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

We don't want a lynch mob against a poc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Will they be spamming the Twitter of his new club in Vietnam telling them they are a disgrace for signing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

They turned up at the wrong gate. Amazing they even got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

JMNolan wrote: »
    They turned up at the wrong gate. Amazing they even got that wrong.

How many there?

How many there?

I presume they’re weren’t many. Maybe a handful.

So we’re about to hear about how dreadful and powerful this group of feminazis is AND, how stupid and ineffectual the crazy, blue haired eejits are.

Always amused by how the people who fear them try to paint them as both powerful and ineffectual, both organised and coming for you and a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I'd guess 20-30, doubt there were more than 30. They were supposed to be at sundays well entrance but they went to dolphins instead which to be fair makes more sense, there's nowhere to stand on tramore road without being in the way of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It’s very simple. Paddy Jackson was once a suspect and a defendant in an alleged rape case.

He and his codefendants were found not guilty after a lengthy trial in which the prosecution and defense got ample opportunity to state their case.

After all that evidence was thoroughly scrutinized the prosecution case was found to be lacking to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt by an impartial jury.

As a result Paddy Jackson and his codefendants were acquitted and left court as innocent men.

Ever since I have heard activists, advocates and whatever they want to call themselves call for changes to the laws governing the conduct of criminal trials and the rules of evidence.

The more extreme ones actually calling for changes that equate pretty much with guilty because she said so.

Raping someone is a very serious crime, just a step below murder if you ask me.

As a consequence a trial deciding guilt or innocence in such matters should be a very serious affair in which not one scintilla of evidence may be beyond scrutiny.

If one can’t live with the concept of a fair trial and it’s outcome I humbly suggest that one packs their bags and moves to Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Zimbabwe, China or Syria or the like where they’re far less bothered with the frivolities of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

It’s very simple. Paddy Jackson was once a suspect and a defendant in an alleged rape case.

He and his codefendants were found not guilty after a lengthy trial in which the prosecution and defense got ample opportunity to state their case.

After all that evidence was thoroughly scrutinized the prosecution case was found to be lacking to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt by an impartial jury.

As a result Paddy Jackson and his codefendants were acquitted and left court as innocent men.

Ever since I have heard activists, advocates and whatever they want to call themselves call for changes to the laws governing the conduct of criminal trials and the rules of evidence.

The more extreme ones actually calling for changes that equate pretty much with guilty because she said so.

As a consequence a trial deciding guilt or innocence in such matters should be a very serious affair in which not one scintilla of evidence may be beyond scrutiny.

If one can’t live with the concept of a fair trial and it’s outcome I humbly suggest that one packs their bags and moves to Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Zimbabwe, China or Syria or the like where they’re far less bothered with the frivolities of Justice.

Indeed, The dyed pink haired nazis would soon realise thet have about as much rights as a cockroach in these countries and would be back in a flash.

That's all true. Some people called for unreasonable changes to law. I also spoke to a Garda who said "if she didn't want his c@ck in her mouth, she should have bitten it off". So there were unreasonable opinions on both sides of the scale.

Rape is definitely serious but there are different types of rape and sexual assault. There's chasing someone down an ally and raping them but that's not the only kind of rape. Consent is an important concept and is worth discussion.

It's actually incredible how narrow and shallow the discussion around consent is. I've seen loads of posters mock the idea of discussing consent and I think it's actually pretty good evidence that people generally don't know where to start or how to discuss consent.

So PJ didn't chase anyone down an ally and rape them. But he was involved in causing suffering. If the woman was better Informed on the nature of consent then she could have said she wasn't comfortable with what was happening and the lads could have stopped - problem solved. Likewise if the lads were more informed they could have asked explicit if she was comparable with what was happened and they could all have had a great ride - problem solved.

I see this whole thing as a misunderstanding of consent and a lot of pain resulted for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If the woman was better Informed on the nature of consent then she could have said she wasn't comfortable with what was happening and the lads could have stopped - problem solved.

She was extremely comfortable with it but regretted it the next day. Her fault, no sympathy for her whatsoever.

Advertisement