Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest Paddy Jackson playing at the weekend?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

It's a real pity for everyone involved in that case and it's very sad to see people today, mock the discussion of consent.

Paddy Jackson was doing her doggy style. To get in that position she would either a. Have to "present" herself that way or B. He would have to use a lot of force to maneuver her into that position. For a. consent is implied and for B. It's irrelevant as its clearly rape.

Also how is consent going to save a man from a woman lying or being drunk and not remembering?

Look at it this way, if you came into a room and your partner or wife was having comsensual sex with two celebrities, what percentage would say they were raped?

Celebrities are a special case as there is a lot of fame and money attached to accusing a celebrity. Look at the Ronaldo case. Not saying this was the case here, in fact the opposite as she was possibly afraid a video would go viral.

I always thought Jackson was innocent but Olding was guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd say none of them have 100% reliable recollection of what happened, given the amount that was drank...

I don't actually know how much was drank. But the point is valid. Plus I wouldn't believe anyone's version after the legal experts stick their oar in. Memory is fallible under perfect circumstances so drink and tiredness are great circumstances to create discrepancies.

The defence only has to create a reasonable doubt. So as long as the waters are nice and muddy, they're highly likely to win.

I think some posters have demonstrated a bit of selective naivety about what the court case was about. The legal experts aren't interested in a faithful representation of the events. They only want a representation of events that suits their client, whether they're defence or prosecution. So I don't believe anything that was said in the trial, just because it was said in the trial.

You'll see lots of people stitching together pieces of some statements as true and dismissing other parts of the statement by the same person as false because the person is a liar.

I'll never know what went on in that room because I'm honest about what I don't know. And neither will any of us known what went on. But it's amusing to watch people pretend they know what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Surely he should be allowed get on with his life. He was found not guilty that counts for something imo. Ched evans was jailed and finally cleared. Those who wanted him hanged i didnt see them come out and apologise to the man. People who are protesting need to get on with their lives and let paddy jackson do the same.

Also how is consent going to save a man from a woman lying or being drunk and not remembering?

Look at it this way, if you came into a room and your partner or wife was having comsensual sex with two celebrities, what percentage would say they were raped?

Celebrities are a special case as there is a lot of fame and money attached to accusing a celebrity. Look at the Ronaldo case. Not saying this was the case here, in fact the opposite as she was possibly afraid a video would go viral.

That's an interesting question about someone lying or not remembering and accusing someone of rape. That's not really a consent issue. It's a bit like asking how Will house insurance stop someone from breaking into your house. Lying is illegal so they're making a decision to step outside the law. Not a lot consent can do for you there. Likewise not remembering. I can't think of much that could help you there.

Consent is important to know that both people are happy with what's happening. If for example, the woman thought she was raped and Jackson thought he had consent, then simply checking "are you on for a threesome with me and my mate?" would have solved the whole thing. But it wouldn't do much if someone is determined to lie. I don't think anyone even claimed they checked verbally if the woman was on for a threesome so it's not relevant to this case.

I've genuinely no idea what your point about the celebrities and claiming rape. I wouldn't have a clue how to estimate that percentage.

Surely he should be allowed get on with his life. He was found not guilty that counts for something imo. Ched evans was jailed and finally cleared. Those who wanted him hanged i didnt see them come out and apologise to the man. People who are protesting need to get on with their lives and let paddy jackson do the same.
    Yeah. According to the posters here, there were very few protesters. I didn't even hear about the protests in any other media. This thread was the only advert for the protest that I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They need to change the system in the North if it hasn't been done already so the accused can't be named while the trial is going on.

I know it might seem a bit pointless these days with the internet when they can be named elsewhere because we all know about a certain person up on similar charges who has been named but at least they wouldn't have cameras shoved in their face everyday during the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I didn't even hear about the protests in any other media. This thread was the only advert for the protest that I saw.

It was widely reported by the media:

https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/status/1170005648521781248
    image.png

Fair enough. The only place I saw it advertised was this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

UK and Ireland have worst conviction rates in the world for rape. This also gives power to the anti-women groups to say that most of the rape allegations are false charges (and create rape myths). Although, the Uk and Ireland perform worse than other developed countries like US when it comes to convictions on rape/murder, The situation is actually more terrible in Northern Ireland. NI is incredibly weak when it comes to judicial reviews. But alas, we are talking about the same "country" that allowed ex terrorists to be released from prison :(. UK also fares badly when compared to developing countries. In my personal opinion Uk's judiciary and public indifference to crime sucks. Oh btw, one last thing, Paddy Jackson is total dogs hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Just let the poor man get on with his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh btw, one last thing, Paddy Jackson is total dogs hit.

It's true, they love him.

pj1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

It's true, they love him.

pj1.jpg

Thanks for ignoring the rest of the post, I'll accept that as you agreeing with me about the UK/Ireland's **** justice system.

Thanks for ignoring the rest of the post, I'll accept that as you agreeing with me about the UK/Ireland's **** justice system.

Ah it was a pretty good retort to your typo.

What would you change in the justice system? I agree that the conviction rate should probably change, but how do you go about doing that? I haven't come across a decent way without overhauling (what little I know of) the entire justice system for the worse.

Oh btw, one last thing, Paddy Jackson is total dogs hit.

Do you mean as a rugby player? Cos he was day-sent before the trial. And reports are that he did well/grand in France. And niw he's got a job in the English Premiership. So from a rugby point of view, he's definitely not dog sh1t

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so the NI courts are bad becuase of the good friday agreement ????

thats quite a new angle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Advertisement